PDA

View Full Version : Buffy is 20

Night Fury
03-17-2017, 04:08 PM
How in the when and the why and the how did that actually happen? I really don't know!

20 years of Slayin' though!

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ca5efbea0ff4f5aa3bbf0b8d25c567ccd1c78f1c/c=0-107-1566-992&r=x329&c=580x326/local/-/media/2017/03/08/USATODAY/USATODAY/636245642904336145-buffy.jpg

charliepanayi
03-17-2017, 04:38 PM
One of the all-time great shows and and its existence means that Joss Whedon could do complete rubbish for the rest of his life and I'd still give him a free pass.

And for the record, season 5 is the best season, The Body is the best episode and Jonathan has the most depressing character arc of anyone in Buffy or Angel (Xander and Wesley come close, but they at least get to be occasionally cool and sleep with some attractive women along the way).

Top 10 episodes:

1. The Body (season 5)
2. Hush (season 4)
3. The Zeppo (season 3)
4. Passion (season 2)
5. The Gift (season 5)
6. Graduation Day (season 3)
7. Once More, With Feeling (season 6)
8. Becoming (season 2)
9. Intervention (season 5)
10. Conversations with Dead People (season 7)

Yubel-Lover
03-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Damn it's 20 years already... I recently watched the full show after more that 10 years and it was so good lol.
Probably my favorite show of all-time. Agree that season 5 is the best though. The thing I liked the most was the development of the relationship between Buffy and Dawn, you can really see how they create a bond with each other. Season 2 and 6 were also pretty good.

Mr. Carnelian
03-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Still angry at Whedon for killing off Tara, tbh. It just HAD to be one of the gay characters who died, didn't it? Let fictional gay people be happy, damn it!

Yubel-Lover
03-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Tara's death was needed to trigger Dark Willow, so it was more of a plot reason. It had nothing to do with Tara being gay

charliepanayi
03-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Still angry at Whedon for killing off Tara, tbh. It just HAD to be one of the gay characters who died, didn't it? Let fictional gay people be happy, damn it!

In fairness, Whedon does love killing people off in his shows (too much probably), not just the gay ones. A fair few died in Buffy before season 6!

Bubba
03-18-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm even scarred from Doctor Horrible's Singalong Blog

Formalhaut
03-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Don't get me started on Whedon killing off beloved characters. SERENITY. :(

Cell
03-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Christ, I remember being 12 or so when this first hit the UK. How time flies.

Shaymin
08-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Tara had to die. Amber Benson was playing that character like a plank of wood.

Back when it was airing, everyone I knew and everyone I showed the dvds too HATED Tara. I basically cheered when she bought it.

I don't even know if Amber Benson is to blame. I saw her as the lead in some schlock movie on Netflix years ago and she was noticeably better than that, but I find it hard to imagine the Buffy Directors/Execs demanded that weak performance.

Forsaken Lover
08-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Season 5 might be my favorite season but I dunno if it was the best overall. I think that title goes to Season 3. I absolutely adore Glory as a Big Bad but her backstory has several holes and just isn't as well thought out as The Mayor's. Then there was also Riley, who I do not hate but who is also hardly a real draw. Finally, Season 3 had Faith.

As forWhedon killing Tara, Joss has a painfully limited imagination if all he can think to do for Willow's character is to kill off her lover and make her go crazy. The fact is, a lot of people wrote Buffy. Whedon does not deserve all the credit. Similarly, he does not deserve all the blame. The worst episodes of Season 4 for instance were written by the same person. Point is, he alone did not make Buffy special, even from a writing standpoint. Although his type of dialogue is probably why Buffy survived Season 1, which was very generic outside of that Whedon dialogue.

I'm proud of the fact I watched the first Buffy episode when it debuted. I'm proud that the opening scene shocked and scared me. Even lil' me was savvy enough to understand that two people alone making out and hearing scary noises must mean something is going to attack them. But then, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO HER FACE AND OH GOD.

Of course as the show went on with a lot of sex and violence, it went up to TV-14 and my grandma didn't let me watch it. I stopped somewhere around Season 3 and would only finish the series years later watching reruns on FX.

Buffy is a fundamental part of my geek-ness and I will always prefer it to Angel, even if Angel never sunk to the lows Buffy did with Season 6.

Raistlin
08-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Buffy is a fundamental part of my geek-ness and I will always prefer it to Angel, even if Angel never sunk to the lows Buffy did with Season 6.

I beg to differ: the last third or so of season 4 Angel.

charliepanayi
08-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Season 4 is the best season of Angel!

Night Fury
08-14-2017, 12:58 AM
They did Cordelia so wrong, it was the worst.

Shaymin
08-14-2017, 03:13 AM
Angel used to be my favorite show. Cordelia was the heart of that show. As soon as (actual) Cordelia leaves it was dealt a fatal blow as far as Im concerned. Don't get me wrong I still watched the rest of it but it was basically downhill from there.

People LOVE Season 5. I felt it was easily the weakest and the most forced/unnatural.

Raistlin
08-14-2017, 03:34 AM
Season 4 started out well enough, and I definitely liked seeing Angelus so much, but that ending for Cordelia was obnoxiously stupid and bad. It was painful to watch. Really, the writing for her is just terrible after she becomes overtly bad (at least to the viewer).

Season 5 overall is very meh for me. I hated the law firm setting. I hated campy Spike that seemed to lose all of his development from Buffy season 7. I intensely hated the stupid muppets and pro wrestlers episodes. But season 5 partly redeemed itself with the saddest two episodes in the Buffyverse, and Illyria was pretty cool (even though Fred was also cool).

As for Buffy, I'm not sure what my favorite season is. There are arguments to be made for 2, 3, and 5, although season 7 also had some very strong isolated episodes. It's tough to criticize charlie's list of best episodes, though I think The Zeppo is overrated (as well as Xander generally).

Night Fury
08-14-2017, 06:43 AM
I'm re-watching Buffy at the moment and Xander is just the fucking worst and intolerable to me this time around. He gets okay in 7 though when he loses an eye.

I think my favourite Buffy season changes, but 6 is the one I consistently enjoy so much.

Raistlin
08-15-2017, 02:54 AM
Xander was ok as long as he wasn't trying to be serious. Whenever the character tried to be serious/angry, he just ended up being an insufferable dickhead to one of: Angel, Buffy, or Spike. All of whom I like better than Xander.

I also found Riley to be insufferable after they actually started dating, definitely by season 5 (despite being likeable before that). I was cheering for that helicopter to take off faster. Team Spike forever.

Psychotic
08-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Yeah, Xander had the best jokes but as Raist said, angry Xander and also horny-after-Buffy-early-Xander were :| I also agree with Riley. They tried to build him up as this perfect kind guy who can't handle Buffy's shit, and we just never have any empathy for him because Buff's our girl.

charliepanayi
08-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Team Spike? He tried to rape Buffy!

Riley was just dull.

Raistlin
08-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Soulless Spike tried to rape Buffy, and that fact horrified him so much that he could no longer live as someone capable of doing that, and so risked his life to find his soul. Yeah, I'll take him over Angel any day.

Night Fury
08-16-2017, 01:36 AM
Eh the rape argument kind of annoys me. Spike was capable of loving Buffy while he was a demon - but he was still a demon. It's heavily implied that Angel/Angelus I guess was a big ol' rapist back when too. Look at their sexual relationship through series 6 too, there are zero boundaries. The two of them destroy a derelict building during their shagging. I find it such a silly reason really to dislike Spike.

Spuffy forever.

charliepanayi
08-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Should have listened to the Mayor, mortal/immortal relationships are a bad idea!

With regards to stuff Spike did, as Principal Wood points out in season 7, all the characters seem to have been evil at some point (attempted rape, killing people in cold blood, ripping a guy's skin off, being petty and not telling Buffy that there was a way to get Angel's soul back)

Yubel-Lover
08-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Team Spuffy all the way! :cheer:Spike is one of the best character imo, though I think he really shines only in season 2 as villain and in seasons 6-7 with all the developments with Buffy.

Skyblade
08-22-2017, 03:33 PM
jK1aQlP62-M

However, I have to say that Buffy is actually 25 now.