PDA

View Full Version : What if you could stop time?

Bubba
04-07-2017, 09:22 AM
You have the power to stop time by clicking your fingers. Time will stop for everyone and everything... except you. A second click will set time running again.

You will not age during these periods.

What would you do with this ability?

Psychotic
04-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Sleep.

Fynn
04-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Sleep.

Bubba
04-07-2017, 10:28 AM
I reckon I'd still manage to be late for work.

That's assuming I still need to work. I'd probably just rob a bank or something.

Freya
04-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Sleep.

Sephex
04-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Basically do what I want. Sleep like everyone else said. Probably steal money. But not some crazy large amount that will get me in trouble. Just an extra hundreds of dollars to help with certain things every now and then.

Colonel Angus
04-08-2017, 02:28 AM
I'd use it to get large amounts of work done & make it seem like it took me no time @ all, making me look like a superstar @ work.

Lyndis Highwind
04-08-2017, 02:28 AM
Sleep.

Sephiroth
04-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Considering time is stopped it would probably be pretty much impossible to move anyway because everything that surrounds you, every particle, will be frozen, no matter if you perceive time as not stopped for you. You could not even blink as that also is rearranging particle's poistions below your eyelids and therefore it would still very much be like time is stopped for you.

gag answer - i do not know. study and play games maybe.

Madame Adequate
04-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Go find people I dislike and give them wedgies/sprinkle itching powder down their back/etc.

Hit something to impart kinetic energy to it, over and over, and see what happens when I restart time.

I'd also have enough time to play all the video games!

Sephiroth
04-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Hit something to impart kinetic energy to it, over and over, and see what happens when I restart time.

You must love the new Zelda.

Karifean
04-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Download as many Japanese only VNs and games and Japanese study material as possible, then stop time, learn Japanese then play the games during stopped time.

After that start considering possible ways of making a living this ability can be used for.

Formalhaut
04-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Sleep.

Madame Adequate
04-08-2017, 08:43 PM

You must love the new Zelda.

I've seen that, yes!

And I hate it, because now everyone will assume I got the idea from there, but I came up with it myself decades ago. :colbert:

Mr. Carnelian
04-10-2017, 01:54 AM
I get pretty much enough sleep as is. Could maybe do with a nap on Thursday, at about midday. Thursdays at work are hard: you haven't got the "nearly the weekend" buzz.
Humiliate Usain Bolt by wiping the floor with him: his ego could probably use a little deflation.
Kill any mosquito or wasp who dared to approach me.
I wouldn't have to wait literally 5ever at that crossing in central Reading near Great Expectations. OMG, that crossing is like, super annoying.
Study and read a truly insane amount and become the world's greatest polymath.
Annoy me slightly? Prepare to have your shoelaces tied together. :mwahaha:

Pumpkin
04-10-2017, 03:20 AM
In addition to sleep (I would get SOOOO much sleep you guys) as everyone else said, also use it for additional free time

Pike
04-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Play video games

Formalhaut
04-10-2017, 11:36 AM
As well as sleeping though, I'd probably do a ton of research and maybe refine a few new hobbies.

FFNut
04-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Besides the obvious pantsing your friends for the Lolz, I would most likely use it for little things like fixing the house, or helping me stay on time for things. Never have to wait for a train to go bye while going to work making me late ever again.

Laddy
04-10-2017, 04:39 PM
To be honest? Sleep. I'd use that time to sleep and then be able to present a full 24 hours a day and be way way way more efficient.

Alternatively? Pull off stupid tricks.

Psychotic
04-10-2017, 04:48 PM
I feel cheated. I saw Jinx's quote pyramid going down to Formalhaut and Freya, and so hit click to show to see what pearl of wisdom everyone was quoting. And it's my own bloody post. I wanted new and original content, not my own inane nonsense!

Pumpkin
04-10-2017, 04:49 PM
On that note, if I could rewind time I would eat junk food and then rewind to before I ate it so I got to eat the junk food but wouldn't keep the calories. Then I'd eat healthy meals and just rewind the dessert

My priorities = Sleeping and eating

theundeadhero
04-10-2017, 06:19 PM
What if you had a massive heart attack while time was stopped and couldn't snap time back? Would people come back to find you suddenly dead? Would time come back at all?

Citizen Bleys
04-10-2017, 06:51 PM
I would use it pretty much exclusively to fuck with people.

And, of course, to kill.

Levian
04-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Whenever someone is about to eat a peanut I would stop time and flick the peanut. Flick it the hell away!

Whenever I see unorganized queues, I would stop time and rearrange the queue in the order I see fit, based on what I perceive their karma to be.

I would use a hair straightener on jon snow's hair. I wonder what he'd look like with a Rihanna bob.

I would place pigeons on people's shoulders.

...and french fries in their hair!

But in all honesty, I would probably do a whole lot of trespassing. I love abandoned buildings and projects, but I'm too much of a wimpy accountant to have the guts to go explore them.

Citizen Bleys
04-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Every moustache I saw would mysteriously become a Hitler moustache.

Del Murder
04-11-2017, 08:54 PM
I would read and play video games. Then I would unfreeze my kids and make them stay their cute young selves until I was finally ready for them to get older.

Pumpkin
04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Oh I would also just freeze time and scream sometimes. Just let it out

Citizen Bleys
04-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Whenever I see someone about to use their computer, I'd stop time and sabotage their computer by pressing the Insert key.

fire_of_avalon
04-13-2017, 04:13 AM
Procrastinate.

FFNut
04-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Whenever I see someone about to use their computer, I'd stop time and sabotage their computer by pressing the Insert key.

That is just evil.

Freya
04-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Well if you're the only thing that has stopped, electronics can't work cause they can't get power etc. So you can't play any games. So i'd use my free stopped time to sleep that way I don't have to waste hours of the day doing so.

Citizen Bleys
04-13-2017, 06:06 PM

That is just evil.

But you're fine with Hitlering people.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Convince that dazzling sorceress to fall in love with me. Obviously my time powers wouldn't work on her and she could teach me about kompression.

I have dreams okay.

Tiffaney Irizarry
04-20-2017, 10:44 PM
I would have chaeted on tests if I was still a student. I think I'd use it to have fun at work, procrastinate, you know, read fanfiction and/or books I never have enough time to read.

Chibi Youkai
04-21-2017, 01:37 AM
I'd find a lovely day and just go hiking. And of course, sleep, like everyone else.

Madame Adequate
04-25-2017, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't have to wait literally 5ever at that crossing in central Reading near Great Expectations. OMG, that crossing is like, super annoying.

I don't remember going that way and spending less than about seventeen minutes waiting to cross :irked: We legit tried to avoid going that way and dandered up the canalside into town instead.

LunarWeaver
04-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Dress up and pretend to be Zack Morris, the most powerful of all mutants.

Citizen Bleys
04-27-2017, 05:37 PM
I would change clothes noticeably like 32,768 times per day. Come in dressed normally, you turn your back, and bam! dressed like a pirate. Then a Starfleet officer. Then a viking.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-27-2017, 08:52 PM
The real problem is how do you keep it secret while in the view of other people? How do you get back into your previous position without anyone noticing? I think this would only be possible to use outside of the sight of anyone. Otherwise the government would probably scoop you up and test you to find out how you could do it.

Citizen Bleys
04-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Change while time is stopped. People don't have time to see what's going on when there's no time.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Yeah I meant just in general - sure you could go to the bathroom or something to change clothes, but for anything that required you to be in sight of anyone you'd have to have no one around or be completely out of sight. So transportation would be an issue. How would you drive to work without your car suddenly being in sight? You'd have to walk or just take transportation while time is moving. Unless you have a teleportation device stashed away it becomes pretty tricky. Sleeping is probably the best use.

Also: with prolonged usage without aging, you'd age way too slowly and people would notice eventually.

Loony BoB
04-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Sleep is the main thing, definitely. I'd walk to and from home, probably, and binge a lot of TV and film. But the thing I want to do most right now is spend time with certain people, so more than anything, I'd just be wanting to try and maximise my recharging between social occasions by just having lots of time for me, and then once done I can re-open time and get back into things.

Bubba
04-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Considering time is stopped it would probably be pretty much impossible to move anyway because everything that surrounds you, every particle, will be frozen, no matter if you perceive time as not stopped for you. You could not even blink as that also is rearranging particle's poistions below your eyelids and therefore it would still very much be like time is stopped for you.

What if you had a massive heart attack while time was stopped and couldn't snap time back? Would people come back to find you suddenly dead? Would time come back at all?

Well if you're the only thing that has stopped, electronics can't work cause they can't get power etc. So you can't play any games.

The real problem is how do you keep it secret while in the view of other people? How do you get back into your previous position without anyone noticing? I think this would only be possible to use outside of the sight of anyone. Otherwise the government would probably scoop you up and test you to find out how you could do it.

You guys are no fun.

Sephex
04-28-2017, 03:02 PM

Well if you're the only thing that has stopped, electronics can't work cause they can't get power etc. So you can't play any games.

You guys are no fun.

Agreed. No kidding it's not possible and that there would be impractical things about it. That's why in these instances you use your imagination instead of using a silly hypothetical situation to show off how smart you are.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to be negative - I just like delving into the mechanics of how such a hypothetical situation might work, that's where my imagination goes. It would be interesting to write a short story about time being frozen and incorporate some of those possible limitations into it.

Bubba
04-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to be negative - I just like delving into the mechanics of how such a hypothetical situation might work, that's where my imagination goes. It would be interesting to write a short story about time being frozen and incorporate some of those possible limitations into it.

Don't apologise, man. I was only jesting! It is interesting to think about how it would work.

theundeadhero
05-03-2017, 03:33 AM
If you think what I said was trying to be smart then you're the one with a lack of imagination.

Del Murder
05-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Don't be modest, tuh, you clearly were trying to *has a heart attack and dies mid-post*

Iceglow
05-08-2017, 12:38 AM
You have the power to stop time by clicking your fingers. Time will stop for everyone and everything... except you. A second click will set time running again.

You will not age during these periods.

What would you do with this ability?

first let me clarify something:

You specify that time stops for everything and everyone but you. However, if I am in contact with something or actively using it, does it remain functional. I.E. If I use a computer, does the computer work or would it simply be a frozen, useless piece of plastic and wiring in my hands? Because there's several answers to what you could do with the time if you had unlimited ageing free time but their plausibility depends on the answer to that.

For example, if I could affect the world around me by touching it, if I touch someone, are they aware of that during the frozen time, or would they suddenly feel the impacts of my actions after the passage of time is restored? Further more, if they are aware of this, what is their level of awareness, are they dimly aware of something happening or are they going to be fully aware of who and what? If I try to use a computer, or other mechanical/electrical device is it functional? If I turn the page of a book, will the page turn? This requires a mere fraction of a second to complete but never the less it requires the passage of time. If you don't have the ability to affect the world then even opening a door will be beyond you.

If you can affect the world by establishing a physical contact with the device you intend to manipulate then of course, you could do such stuff as:

- Study and learn new skills online or using computers
- Become self employed and complete jobs without ever actually wasting your real time so that you have plenty of cash without you or your family/friends having to worry about it. (Reason for self employment is obvious. A company who you work for will still expect you to be in the office and productive for 7 - 8.5 hours a day if on a full time contract, I've done all my work is not an excuse, if you've done everything then you need to find something to do in those hours in their opinion)
- Play video games, watch films or read books (I will assume that if you want to watch a program/play a game contact with a single piece of the equipment used i.e. a control/remote would work. a little annoying to be sure but I would say a small price to pay since you can do it one handed.
- Learn to drive, fly and sail using these skills take yourself anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat to take a vacation without having to worry about losing time due to travel.
- Steal money via the internet if work is too honourable for you.
- Go and become the best spy, intelligence officer in the world. No one and nothing would be able to stop you and if you learn to hide your tracks they may never even know they've been compromised.

Now if you can't affect the world during the stopped time, you can still do more than just sleep, it just takes more planning and preparation as you can't turn pages, use electronic devices or open doors:

- Print a text book out on single side prints. Lay them out in a large room weighted down (to prevent them moving whilst doing this, alternatively blutac them to the floor/walls) then freeze time and use it to study the pages and learn the stuff within the text book. You could still effectively learn many things and subjects in the space of a few days of real time. I would suggest looking in to investments and finance and then investing heavily with your newfound knowledge making a great deal of money in a short time and all perfectly legal. You could also research stuff you are simply interested in and take up a job to simply fill time when not frozen.
- With the world unaware of your presence you could simply explore. You can do silly things like impart kinetic energy to people and stuff but think of what you could see simply by walking places (this would have the added benefit of making you super bloody healthy and stuff too) Oh it'd take a week to walk from one end of the country to the other? That's cute, I did it in "A day" you also wouldn't have to worry about weather elements affecting you.
- During sex, if you feel you're about to finish prematurely, you could simply freeze time to recover from this thus making you the most impressive lover of all time.
- You can pretty much stay awake near 24 hours and yet still get your 8 hours of sleep required for a healthy life by freezing time before bed. That said, if you're in a relationship, this is not such a pleasant idea really. The person next to you would be frozen and wouldn't snuggle in to you. Not to mention they would still notice that you didn't come to bed most of the night. This would be horrible for them sleeping during the frozen time would only really be nice if you're single or alone. That said, you could probably make limited use of this without them noticing. Simply by going to bed with "4 - 5 hours" of sleep ahead of you and freezing it just after your alarm goes off for 3 - 4 hours to get the remaining sleep you desire. If you have no need for earning money by working, you'll find that 24 hours is actually quite a long time to do things in. After a while of managing your own investment portfolio, you'd be able to simply hire people to do it for you so you'd never have to work again. I don't think sleeping with the woman/man/beast of your dreams in real time would be so bad.
- Exercise like a mother smurfer. You'd have to look in to body weight and cardio exercises mainly but with unlimited time to do these exercises you'd be ripped to hell. There is a reason that armies around the world rely on these types of exercises still. Think about being able to eat whatever you like and still never gain weight. I'm sold.
- Romantic gestures are easy. Your paramour wishes you were there with them now. You walk outside, freeze time and walk over to theirs no matter how far away it is and unfreeze time. (of course, if you need to leave the country to see them this becomes much harder if not impossible but then the answer is date someone slightly more local).

I may have over thought this.

Bubba
05-09-2017, 02:28 PM
*reads Steve's post and immediately regrets creating this thread*

Yeah, in my head I was still able to use electronics and move things around ie. books, vehicles, people (if required). I'd try and keep this to a minimum (especially the latter) as I'd want to keep my power a complete secret.

Iceglow
05-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Haha I did say I may have overthought it.

Well if you can interact with powered items/move things around etc then so long as you're able to move back to where you were before you restart time, you're golden tbh in that scenario.

Christmas
03-10-2022, 07:23 AM
I think the Japs have a whole genre of adult documentaries about this. :bigsmile: