PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Final Fantasy

Bubba
04-17-2017, 11:37 AM
So I'm still playing through FFVI and I'm legit laughing out loud at some of the dialogue! There have been plenty of comedy moments across most of the games.

Which one stood out the most for you?

Shiva95
04-17-2017, 12:58 PM
I am torn between FFVI and FFIX. They have both really funny dialogues!

Karifean
04-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Yes, the twelve legendary weapons. They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them.

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2017, 05:33 PM
V hands down, followed by IX as a close second and VI rounding out third place.

Sephiroth
04-17-2017, 05:34 PM
VIII or IX. It is Laguna vs Zidane really.

Pike
04-17-2017, 05:35 PM
None of the above, FFTA 2 made me laugh more times than like all the other games in the series combined.

Psychotic
04-17-2017, 06:18 PM
I actually don't know! FFV and VI are hilarious, and of course VII has the delights of Mukki and cross-dressing. FFVIII had the instruction to make sure the hot dogs were okay as well as the tap dancing, and IX had the Quina-Vivi wedding. In more recent iterations I loved the Shrek-Donkey dynamic of Lightning and Sazh, and Prompto is a non-stop stream of comedy in XV.

Sephiroth
04-17-2017, 06:21 PM
FFVIII had the instruction to make sure the hot dogs were okay as well as the tap dancing.

Its curry bread, not hot dogs.

charliepanayi
04-17-2017, 06:44 PM
FFVIII had the instruction to make sure the hot dogs were okay as well as the tap dancing.

Its curry bread, not hot dogs.

In the English language version (i.e. the one 99% of us will have played), it's hot dogs.

And the answer to this is FFIX. All FF games have funny moments, but I don't think any have as many as FFIX has.

FFNut
04-17-2017, 06:50 PM
For me VI is the funniest for one reason only. Ultros! It is like they snuck in one of their fetishes, then teamed it up with a disease that sneezed you out of disgust. The Original (Labeled III) even had the line Don't tease the Octopus Kids while hitting on Terra.

Lyndis Highwind
04-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Probably IX actually. Quina and Steiner made me laugh many times. XV had the funniest moment for me, but it's not the funniest for sure.

Sephiroth
04-17-2017, 08:00 PM
In the English language version (i.e. the one 99% of us will have played), it's hot dogs.

As if it was necessary to tell me that. Just because someone uses another word for something it does not magically become that. Its the same with Tifa's "Orthopedic Underwear" that was not at all what the text said or how Yuna did not say that she loves Tidus explicitly but said it through a "Thank you". Zell is even eating the bread in the final scene so we can't even say "well, whatever" if we would have the power to do so.

charliepanayi
04-17-2017, 08:08 PM

As if it was necessary to tell me that. Just because someone uses another word for something it does not magically become that.

Actually, in this instance, it does. This isn't some fan argument like 'who does Cloud really love', it's what the actual English language game says! You act like what Psy said originally was wrong.

Sephiroth
04-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Actually, in this instance, it does. This isn't some fan argument like 'who does Cloud really love', it's what the actual English language game says!

That has nothing to do with a fan argument. It is flat out not the word translated to what it means but exactly what you said: What the English version says. What the English version says has no value for the game's "true content". It is just something a translator decided to write to make it appealing to the West. And as said, it is not even up to debate, because Zell eats the bread in the finale making it even something that can be seen. Yuna did not say I love you to Tidus, she said Thank you. You are totally missing the context of me saying "they don't say it" by thinking "we can see it so they say it" and therefore totally aiming for something else - even though you very well know what I am talking about. I am talking about what they are actually saying. And yes, it is significant because the question is, does Psy actually find Zell's love for bread funny?

EDIT: Also it is not open to debate who Cloud truly loves. He "loves" Tifa but his feeling for Aerith goes way deeper. He has a soul connection with her so she can actually reach him and what he associates with her is his Promised Land. The answers exist already.

Psychotic
04-17-2017, 09:04 PM
It's an interesting bit of trivia that it was originally curry bread, but it doesn't change anything for me. The English version improved on the Japanese version because hot dogs are funnier. It's a minor throw away gag and not a major piece of dialogue like the Yuna "Thank you/I love you" example.

Scruffington
04-17-2017, 09:23 PM
Out of the games that I've played, IX has the best humor. Zidane in particular is great.

Pumpkin
04-17-2017, 09:26 PM
V has some super funny moments so V for me.

The whole love letter thing in IX though was pretty amazing

krissy
04-18-2017, 12:01 AM
9 is the funniest video game overall actually so
^fact

ChainMachine
04-18-2017, 12:13 AM
Most FF's are actually pretty funny despite the usually very serious plots. Out of the choices in the poll, FFX is the most unintentionally funny one to me. Mostly because of the voice acting. FF9 has the funniest writing though.

Laddy
04-18-2017, 03:09 PM
V, VII, or IX are all personal contenders.

imma go with VII. Barret and Cid's dialogue, Wall Market, the date scene, half of Shinra. It's very amusing despite its edgedark reputation.

Fynn
04-18-2017, 03:31 PM
FFV, hands down

Skyblade
04-19-2017, 09:31 AM
None of the above, FFTA 2 made me laugh more times than like all the other games in the series combined.

I'm having to agree with Pike here. FFTA 2 is hilarious.

Sefie1999AD
04-20-2017, 11:13 AM
I've had the most laughs with FFVII. The Turks (especially in Wutai sidequest), Cid, Palmer, "Kya Ha Ha and Gya Ha Ha", Don Corneo, the crossdressing scene etc were just hilarious. FFIX was also quite funny with all that goofy humor. A special mention to FFV too: the GBA-based script really fleshes out the dialogue, and especially Galuf and Gilgamesh are really funny.