PDA

View Full Version : Play the game, skip the plot...

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2017, 06:09 PM
What are some games you love but can honestly say you're only here for the core game and usually leave to make a sandwich when the actual story parts come into play?

I'm going to say Fighting games in general since most have terrible storytelling. Devil May Cry is also a series where the plot is touch and go, and even the few that had a decent plot, it's hardly worth the price of admission compared to that sweet sweet gameplay. Dragon Quest is also like this for me as well.

Karifean
04-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Honestly cannot think of one, at least not one where the story is more intrusive than "you can skip this by holding a button for 3 seconds", like, say, Touhou or Ougon Musou Kyoku.

I guess the main plot of FFX-2 qualifies though, at least.

Pumpkin
04-17-2017, 07:26 PM
FFX-2, yeah. Fighting games also, as WK mentioned

Ape Escape. I don't care why I'm catching monkeys, I just want to catch monekys

Pike
04-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Honestly, most of them.

The vast majority of the time when I play games I'm playing for the gameplay, there are a couple of rare exceptions (Dragon Age series) but no I'm usually playing for gameplay. If I don't like the game mechanics I will almost always quit, even if it's the greatest story ever told. I'm that person who finishes a game and then immediately forgets all the names of the characters and the whole plotline. :shobon:

Formalhaut
04-17-2017, 08:46 PM
I think I pretty much always play a game for the plot, so skipping the plot never really happens, unless the game doesn't have a plot, like the Worms Armageddon series, or The Sims series (where game and plot kinda overlap).

Vermachtnis
04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Prototype. There's something about the govment and viruses and your sister or something. I only advanced the plot to get new toys.

Spuuky
04-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Divinity: Original Sin has a pretty bland main storyline compared to the incredible combat mechanics. Although the non-main-story subplots are pretty good.

Mr. Carnelian
04-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Wet. Plot is practically nonexistent, but jumping around shooting waves of mooks in slow-mo to a rockabilly soundtrack is extremely entertaining.

Formalhaut
04-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Oh, talking about shooting things silly: DmC. I mean, the plot was... eh? Okay, but the gameplay was fun. I love getting a good combo going and SSSensational appearing on the screen.

Shauna
04-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Most video games tbh

Peter1986
04-18-2017, 11:07 PM
I actually do that all the time in the "Ninja Gaiden" games for the NES;
I have pretty much forgotten that they even have plot scenes between the stages!
I should probably try watching them some time.

Psychotic
04-19-2017, 08:27 AM
I've clocked up hundreds of hours playing the Halo games and I have no idea what the plot to any of them is. I can't smurfing stand more than a few seconds of the cut scenes. All I need to know is that a large number of rather cross aliens who wish to shoot me have popped up in various exotic locations and I must give them a jolly good thrashing.

KleinerKiller
04-21-2017, 03:03 AM
About the only example that comes to mind is last year's Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom, because it's superbly fun on the gameplay front and I'd recommend it for that alone, but it's also an adaptation of a story I already know, and the cutscenes are just 3D-rendered scenes from the anime that don't matter.

Aside from that, I honestly can't think of many. I'm a big proponent of gaming as a storytelling medium, and I'll give any story a shot, even generally throwaway ones like 80% of fighting games. I don't recall ever actively skipping cutscenes for any game except when replaying pure gameplay-focused ones.

Vyk
04-21-2017, 11:29 PM
Closest thing I can say is probably Dragons Dogma. The story of somehow both completely outlandish and completely boring. And on that note I would be tempted to also say Dragons Crown but beat em up games would probably all fit this

Colonel Angus
04-23-2017, 03:21 AM
Joust, never knew why we were jousting on ostriches, nor did we care, we just did.

LunarWeaver
04-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Diablo III. I just want pretty things and to look like a loot clown.