PDA

View Full Version : Name a hidden gem of a game.

FFNut
04-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Like the name suggests. Name a great hidden gem that people may not know about.

For me it is a series. The series is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

It is a stageity game that takes you back to China 180AD. The Han Empire is in its final days and warlords look to seize control of the land to become Emporor themselves. Control Hero's and villians from the time. Recruit an army, steal other war lords best generals, and take control of the land. This series is addicting, and depending on which one you plug in it changes quite a bit. It is worth a try if you have never tried it yet.

Karifean
04-18-2017, 01:49 PM
The House in Fata Morgana (http://store.steampowered.com/app/303310/)

Thought about picking any VN, but this one is barely known even among fans of the medium.

It's an incredibly beautiful if tragic story. Go read it. You won't regret it.

Vyk
04-18-2017, 04:25 PM
LotR: War in the North. A surprisingly good original story told tandem to the LotR saga, in which Sauron had a secret agent building an army in the north that nobody was aware of. Your team stumbles across the information and has to set about saving Middle Earth from getting flanked by this army and defeating the agent who is more powerful than the wraiths and most other agents. Very similar to Sauron in physical form, and rides a dragon if I remember correctly. You also get to meet Radagast the Brown, who is only mentioned in the books.

It treats the source material very respectfully and is a fascinating original take with some memorable characters, and one of the best combat systems in any action game of the time. It's the swan song from the company that made the original Baldur's Gate console games, and Champions of Norrath games, which were really fun Diablo-clones

Sephiroth
04-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Remember Me.

Wolf Kanno
04-18-2017, 06:36 PM
My obligatory mentions:

0YbRclMWFcE

HznxJVvMo_k

and one of my new ones...

-a69nmiAvSY

Sephiroth
04-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Since when is Catherine a hidden gem. It is highly praised by so many people.

Wolf Kanno
04-18-2017, 07:03 PM

No one ever talks about it from what I've seen online. While it is certainly highly praised, I feel most people only really know or care about the Persona series from the PTeam, so this game quickly gets forgotten despite being pretty buzz worthy back in the day. Hell when talking about great PS3 games, this one almost never gets mentioned which is a shame, because it's probably one of my favorite PS3 games.

Madame Adequate
04-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Yeah RotTK is a great series, Fynn!

I'm going to say the first Vandal Hearts game. An SRPG that came out on the PS1, it was vastly overshadowed by FFT and some others from the era, but I think it's one of the best in the genre, fun, deep, and compelling.

Pike
04-18-2017, 09:46 PM
I have a couple go-tos for this (mostly Super Nintendo games)

Uniracers (IMO the greatest racing game of all time)

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (it's by Capcom and really just Mega Man with Disney paint)

Awesomenauts - really underrated MOBA, easily the funnest of that genre to me

Vyk
04-18-2017, 09:47 PM

No one ever talks about it from what I've seen online. While it is certainly highly praised, I feel most people only really know or care about the Persona series from the PTeam, so this game quickly gets forgotten despite being pretty buzz worthy back in the day. Hell when talking about great PS3 games, this one almost never gets mentioned which is a shame, because it's probably one of my favorite PS3 games.

Completely agree. That's exactly what a hidden gem is. A great game. Critical praise. Fan praise. But only a niche following. And it doesn't show up in a lot of hidden gems list sadly.

Beyond Good and Evil is a fantastic game with fan and critical acclaim and is one of the definitive hidden gems

I still need to play through Catherine. Or watch an LP. I love what I've seen of it. And one of the few games in the series with adult characters

Crop
04-18-2017, 10:36 PM
Shadow of Memories (Destiny for the Yanks).

About time I had another play through really, it's been years.

Spuuky
04-18-2017, 10:42 PM
King's Bounty: The Legend

Lyndis Highwind
04-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Phantom Dust for the original Xbox!

Pumpkin
04-19-2017, 12:39 AM
Beyond Eyes, sweet story and great visuals

The Legend of Heroes: Trails series. So good if you like turn-based JRPGs

SOMA: Psychological horror

A Little Lily Princess: A cute and sweet VN based on the novel A Little Princess