PDA

View Full Version : Moments you look back on and wonder how you lived through it.

FFNut
04-19-2017, 11:10 AM
So I recently had a conversation with someone about scary moments in life and wondered how I made it to my age while keeping my handsome face in tact. I came up with a few moments of my life where if I or the people I was with had done anything different I may not be here to write about it with you. Here are a few I came up with.

I grew up up in the mountains of Northern British Columbia Canada, and stuck around there to work most of my life. I work in oil and gas which put me in rather remote locations in the middle of the giant forests. Two of my stories involve working out of Helicopters.

I will start with the first story it involves me, a really angry black bear, and the two hour fight waiting for my helicopter to come back to get me out and f there.

I took the the helicopter to one of the wells that was having issues. The pilot had to take another guy to another well then get fuel so he dropped me off.

As I began working a black bear came out of the woods and decided he didn't like me there. He became aggressive, so I was forced to grab my bear spray and give him a blast in the face with it. (Yes he was that close) The bear didn't run but it gave me time to get on top of the little well shack about 10 feet in height.

The bear still did not like me there, and he was even more mad I had hit him with bear spray and continued to try and get a hold of me. For two hours I was there I spent the whole time on that well shack roof kicking at the bear to keep him away from me being his lunch until the helicopter came back and chased him off.

Needless to to say I never fixed the well that day.

What at are some of your stories of good split second decisions that may have saved your life.

krissy
04-22-2017, 06:43 AM
sounds like the well was just unbearable to him

i bike in downtown traffic during warm seasons so let's just say it's good to have brakes that stop on a dime because of cars, pedestrians, and other bikers

i still go out there for some reason

Sephex
04-25-2017, 12:43 AM
I realized things were what they were. I don't wonder that I survived. I just did.

Chris
05-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Started out as a bottom. It is a miracle that I am still able to poop these days.

Chibi Youkai
05-11-2017, 03:12 AM
My family has camped through more than a couple tornadoes. One of them was large enough that they had to pack an entire SCA event site's worth of people in a walk-in freezer. All the young kids got put in their sleeping bags, and laid on the shelves. It was kind of fun back then, but now, it must have been pretty bad for some the the measures that were being taken. Everyone left the site right after, too. They wouldn't let any of us young ones back out to the grounds afterward.

Cloudane
05-11-2017, 11:25 AM
[Subscribes, will be back in about 5 years if civilisation pulls through]

Vasher
05-11-2017, 02:22 PM
insanely long post lost, but it lives on in "spirit".

Polistes Umbra
06-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Last summer I got extremely sick and had to go to the hospital several times. Doctor thought it was gallstones but didn't feel like having me operated on but toward early August I just got more and more sick gradually. Eventually one morning I woke up with this nagging pain and it only got worse, I can't describe it but it was so horrible. Mom took me to the ER and the pain got even worse and now I was puking in the waiting room. I fell out into the waiting room floor trying to curl into a ball, man I was in so much pain.

I'm normally really stoic about pain and don't complain very much so this was pretty severe. They had to take me back to do bloodtests,take vitals and THEN send me back to wait on a lab. It was easily the most miserable experience in my life and FINALLY they took me back, one of the nurses gave me a barf bag and I started puking more. I had pancreatitis or something was wrong with my pancreas,I had gallstones too but my pancreas had become seriously inflamed.

So,I'd have to get surgery(which I'd never had) but that would have to wait until my pancreas was "less inflamed" so they could operate. I was rotated on pain medicine, I forgot what I was given, it was something like morphine but I was given so much of it I started hallucinating and hearing really weird sounds. Despite the constant pain meds being pumped into me I was never able to really feel good at all, it was just more tolerable and the second the medicine wore off I would instantly go into pain again. Due to how they rotated my pain meds I would usually have to wait about 90 minutes in agony until my next dosage or whatever but when the nurse shift changed I'd have to wait way longer. I'd just kinda..curl up into a ball or clench my teeth.

It was just a terrible experience. The day before my surgery there was a bunch of drama with the nurses on the floor and my parents were seeing me. The doctor wanted my potassium up to a certain level because it was very low so I spent the entire afternoon getting potassium IVs. Except for some reason they stung really, really badly. The first time I got a potassium IV I had no idea I was even getting an IV and I thought the nurse had shoved some piece of plastic underneath my skin to do something. I've gotten IVs before and after but that was like an 11/10 on the painscale and I had to get 4 or 5 more one after the other. I've gotten potassium IVs later on that didn't hurt a fraction of what I felt then either. At worse it would be this unpleasant burn so I don't know if the nurse that afternoon was doing something wrong.

By the time I got out of surgery I had lost a ton of weight in the span of two weeks. I got out after two weeks, went home, felt really really bad. Not in pain, just really crappy and weak. Ended up having to go right back a day later and stay for another two weeks. Yay, my fun month in the hospital.

Also fun being so doped up you think you're talking to people in your room and then you wake up at 2 am in the morning,sitting up in the dark just talking to no one. Also would hear kids whispering and cats meowing constantly. It got so bad I asked one nurse if there were a bunch of cats outside and she just laughed and said we were on the 3rd floor. Would also hear zombie like groaning coming from the curtains but strangely enough this didn't freak me out too much.

I started getting really frustrated because I'd keep having conversations with people but I was so out of it that I wouldn't even know if I was talking to anyone. The doctor or surgeon would come in,I'd tell him about how much pain I was in and he'd say they were going to fix it..but then I'd wake up and no one would be in the room. I'd try to lay back down and the exact process would repeat itself. I also remember people visiting me but then they'd be gone. It was very alarming, even in my stand of mind then. I was struggling in tons of pain but I had reached a point where I wasn't even sure if what I was seeing was real or not.

Christmas
12-12-2022, 01:17 PM
I would never be able to live proper without logging into EoFF to visit my wonderful fellow forum members back in 2006. :(

But my Jedi master told me to purge the darkness within me and EoFF was the first to go. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
12-12-2022, 07:11 PM
I have had an aggressive number of near misses lol. The sheer volume of head trauma I've suffered has fudged my memory and left my retinae at some risk of detaching :lol:

I had a cool 20% chance of death in the hospital earlier this year, which was fun, but not head trauma related.

Dr. Acula
12-13-2022, 09:12 AM
I have what I call a "Radius of Boring" which means that interesting things happen around me but not to me. My life has been incredibly safe and, as such, uneventful. At least you all have stories!