PDA

View Full Version : Subscription Box Things

Scotty_ffgamer
04-26-2017, 01:00 AM
For some reason, these things seem pretty popular right now with a lot of people I know. Everything from Loot Crate to Owl Crate to subscriptions involving getting new perfumes or candles every month. I'm just curious if anyone here gets or has gotten any kind of subscription, what your thoughts are, and if you've gotten anything cool.

I've been doing some extensive research on one called video games monthly where you get retro games all the way up to ps2 every month and have considered it. I understand there's every chance I'd be over paying for games, but you can list what console and games you own, as well as make a wish list so they can cater the games you get more based on interests and they don't send you doubles of anything you already own. I think it could be a fun way to play games I'd never probably consider trying while also getting to open a surprise every month. My fiancé wants us to try it since she's gotten jealous of our dog getting cool stuff through Bark Box every month.

FFNut
04-26-2017, 01:13 AM
I may be old school but I wouldn't be into it myself. Just knowing stuff is coming every month that will fill my house up randomly just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather go and look for things myself.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-26-2017, 01:41 AM
That's generally how I feel with these. I'm mostly doing it for the fiancé, and I'm always buying old games I don't need anyways. It does kind of appeal to the same thing that made me like opening booster packs of Pokémon cards as a kid.

Lyndis Highwind
04-26-2017, 02:00 AM
I've actually been interested in that one too. It wouldn't be very practical for me right now, but I would like to try it sometime. Let us know how it is if you do it!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-26-2017, 07:35 AM
It's too much of a gamble for me.

At least some boxes have monthly themes. Like a "Walking Dead" theme where everything in your box will be zombie related.

It just seems that for every great thing you like in a box, there's 10 things you wouldn't have bought for yourself otherwise. Like a bottle opener or a 3 inch tall figure of a character you don't recognize.

Just knowing stuff is coming every month that will fill my house up randomly just doesn't appeal to me.

I agree. I used to work with someone who got loot crate year round. He doesn't throw any of it away, so a small corner of his house is dedicated to pure junk.

Psychotic
04-26-2017, 09:27 AM
I used to get Loot Crate and while there was one or two cool things, a lot of it was junk I didn't want. Doesn't have much resale value either as loads of people are reselling it. I tossed a lot.

With that said, the mystery surprise element is fun. I just now only do it if there is one themed around a franchise I love, e.g. Fallout or Mass Effect, or if beforehand they announce there's stuff from at least four franchises I like.

Freya
04-26-2017, 05:38 PM
I've been debating doing a book club one. I like books and getting mailed new ones is nice. They send bookmarks and stuff too! :D Looked into owlcrate but i'm not sure which one I want just yet.

Look I found a list of the top 12 literary ones (https://www.bustle.com/articles/145978-these-12-literary-subscription-boxes-will-help-you-step-up-your-book-club-game) :D Some give you mugs or shirts to go with it.

Shauna
04-26-2017, 07:22 PM
I have seen ones where you get food.

I am interested in that.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-27-2017, 08:53 AM
I have seen ones where you get food.

I am interested in that.

Those are boxes I'd be interested in.

I like the idea of subscriptions like MunchPak (https://munchpak.com/) which send you snacks from around the world. I think it's a great way to get a taste of different cultures, something you can share with friends, and there isn't a lot of waste hanging around after.

I mean unless you don't take out the bins.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-03-2017, 01:25 AM
I had a dream last night that I got my vgm box and it came with mario 64, a bootleg of mario 64, and a game boy color cartridge without a label. It also came with a FFXII strategy guide that was supposedly worth $100 that had a bluray of all the cutscenes of XII. I hope I get a better box than that in real life in terms of games, haha.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-10-2017, 08:03 PM
So I got a 1up in my box I finally got, meaning I got an extra game. My games were:

Perfect dark for n64
Vector man for genesis
Dr mario/ puzzle league for gba
Call of duty 2 big red one for ps2
Black and bruised for ps2

All in all, some good stuff but not fantastic. I'll try it for a couple more months and see. I'm also thinking of doing a blog or something where I'll review the service as a whole and then review/write about each individual game I get from this as something for fun.

Cloudane
05-10-2017, 09:58 PM
Not enough disposable income, they always seem super expensive to me.
Used to get Graze boxes, until I looked at the calories!
I once got a mystery box of MLP stuff (pretty much vulching a shop that was "moving on") but it's not something I'd have subscribed to.

Vyk
05-11-2017, 05:28 AM
I've been getting Loot Crate. And I kinda hate it. I keep forgetting about it and then when I go to cancel it they decide to reveal the next one is potentially awesome. I just got one with a Stranger Things t-shirt. And I love Stranger Things, and can't wait to buy the album from the show. So any new things for it is fine with me. It just sucks because they have this feature where you can keep skipping months you're not interested in. But you get charged for it before they even announce what they're doing that month

I think they rely on people like me who are lazy and forgetful. Fortunately it's only like $14, so it's not a huge monthly investment. But instead of littering my apartment with junk, I now have a handful of black boxes full of junk

Cloudane
05-11-2017, 11:22 AM
I've watched Ashens unbox a few Loot Crates, and yeah, personally I can't see the appeal! He usually ends up disappointed as well. [Flipping] inflatable [flipping] crown...

Darth Ganon
05-20-2017, 05:31 AM
I've had Loot Crate for around a year and a half now and I've pleased enough with it to keep it going. It certainly improved once they began adding a t-shirt to every box. Those are usually the best part about them along with the pins and the figurines that come in about every 2 or 3. I got a nice Batman mug last month, too. Figuring that a graphic tee is normally $10-20 anyway some extra goodies and a box to Goodwill once in a while isn't bad.

I have already given away some stuff that didn't thrill me and will continue to do so as long as I keep my subscription.

The Secret Order of the Keys has been a nice addition to the crates, too. It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's something different to do besides my usual monotonous garbage.

Although if I was smart I probably should have canceled Loot Crate and picked up the Firefly ones instead. Oh well.