PDA

View Full Version : Which non-numbered FF game is your favorite?

Wolf Kanno
04-28-2017, 04:26 AM
What it says on the tin, FF has branched out into a tone of spin-offs and prequel/sequel nonsense, so which ones do you consider to be the best of the bunch. Note the game must be an official Final Fantasy game, it can't simply be inspired by it or have characters from the series making cameos in it. I will count direct prequel and sequel titles though.

Pumpkin
04-28-2017, 04:30 AM
X-2 of course!

Spuuky
04-28-2017, 04:44 AM
Strongly judging all of you who don't say a Tactics game.

Lyndis Highwind
04-28-2017, 06:41 AM
Crystal Chronicles!

Sephiroth
04-28-2017, 06:44 AM
4GcD-YsWOGE

maybee
04-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Same here with FF X-2 :jess:

Fynn
04-28-2017, 07:16 AM
All of Tactics. Tactics Advance especially, but the original and A2 are also excellent

Del Murder
04-28-2017, 07:28 AM
Might as well rename this thread 'which Final Fantasy Tactics game is your favorite?'

Karifean
04-28-2017, 10:56 AM
X-2 for sure.

FFNut
04-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Tatics! The story and the environment hits just perfect.

Shiva95
04-28-2017, 01:10 PM
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but mine is Lightning Returns. I think it's a great conclusion to the FFXIII trilogy and I love the story.

Depression Moon
04-28-2017, 01:34 PM
I'm not counting a direct sequel since that still has a number on it. With that out of the way my only option is Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers.

krissy
04-28-2017, 04:50 PM
really enjoyed The Spirits Within even if there was more CG story movies and not so much gameplay

Wolf Kanno
04-29-2017, 05:45 AM
really enjoyed The Spirits Within even if there was more CG story movies and not so much gameplay

You just need to get better with the controls, avoid using the skip function because it makes understanding what the game wants from you difficult, instead focus on using the backwards and forward options, especially duing the scenes with Aki and the marine dude. The goal is to avoid their scenes and focus on the quirky supporting cast, make sure to back track to watch their scenes to find the correct clues. Once the story advances to the point when the supporting cast is dead, you should simply put the film to 3x Speed and use the rest of the scenes at that point to interpret the true meaning of the game. Its a tricky puzzle but I feel Square was pretty bold for making something so meta. The fact it doesn't get the same credit as MGS2 is really a tragedy.

***************************************************************************************************

My obvious answer to my own question.

Yubel-Lover
04-30-2017, 09:40 AM
So far I'd probably say XIII-2

Vyk
04-30-2017, 05:44 PM
It used to be a trade-off between 6 and 7, depending on the day and my mood. But as I get older, I find myself craving 7 more than 6. And I'm not entirely sure why. But regardless, the only other game in the series that compares to those two to me is 12, and I don't actually crave that game very much since I took a break from it and then they immediately announced an HD version on the horizon. I'll have 7 and 12 on my PS4. I'll be happy..

Fynn
04-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Wrong thread, Vyk, this ones about non-numbered games :p

Ffamran mied Bunansa
05-01-2017, 02:15 AM
Crystal Chronicles might be my favourite multiplayer game of all time and is definitely one of the best examples of lore based story telling.

Vyk
05-01-2017, 04:03 AM
Wrong thread, Vyk, this ones about non-numbered games :p
That's what I get for leaving it open all day before getting around to replying.. Thanks lol

Vermachtnis
05-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Mystic Quest
I'm serious, it's a fun game with an awesome soundtrack. Going back to it, it's like Final Fantasy: The Abridged Series.

Omni-Odin
05-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Crisis Core or Tactics.....(Tactics)

KleinerKiller
05-06-2017, 09:12 PM
I've sadly never played a Tactics game, so... Crisis Core. Some storytelling inconsistencies and the entire character of Genesis / Gackt aside, it's a good game, and it's fun to revisit and expand upon some iconic moments alongside a helping of solid hack 'n slash gameplay.

I was so tempted to just put "Dirge of Cerberus, fite me m8" but it's too early to completely destroy my reputation here.

Sephiroth
05-06-2017, 11:04 PM
I've sadly never played a Tactics game, so... Crisis Core. Some storytelling inconsistencies and the entire character of Genesis / Gackt aside, it's a good game, and it's fun to revisit and expand upon some iconic moments alongside a helping of solid hack 'n slash gameplay.

I was so tempted to just put "Dirge of Cerberus, fite me m8" but it's too early to completely destroy my reputation here.

Dirge of Cerberus has a very solid story, despite lacking on the action game part. For a Final Fantasy VII that was not written by Nojima-san this is a very well written one. Making good use of characters that were not used so much in the original, exploring Vincent's backstory, using characters that also appear in Before Crisis. Making use of Vincent's arch nemesis by letting him survive by virtualizing his consciousness, leaving little hints for Genesis - Dirge of Cerberus is fine.

ChainMachine
05-07-2017, 12:08 AM
Tactics or Crisis Core, I like both for different reasons.

KleinerKiller
05-07-2017, 02:01 AM
Dirge of Cerberus has a very solid story, despite lacking on the action game part. For a Final Fantasy VII that was not written by Nojima-san this is a very well written one. Making good use of characters that were not used so much in the original, exploring Vincent's backstory, using characters that also appear in Before Crisis. Making use of Vincent's arch nemesis by letting him survive by virtualizing his consciousness, leaving little hints for Genesis - Dirge of Cerberus is fine.

There's certainly a lot more that I like about it than most FF fans seem to, but I mostly see it as a whole lot of good-to-great ideas (both story and gameplay-wise) smothered in forced edginess, inconsistent execution, and general wasted potential. I was mainly name-dropping it for the joke.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
05-22-2017, 09:32 AM
X-2!

Loony BoB
05-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Crisis Core, Tactics Advance and XIII-2 are the three that are competing in my head and they all win in differing ways.

Forsaken Lover
05-22-2017, 12:42 PM
XIII-2. The music is fantastic, I enjoyed the monster mechanic, Caius is one of the best antagonists in the whole franchise, and it's so delightfully melodramatic/nonsensical. In a good way because both things are clearly intentional.
BPA1fiKDLcE

Did that explain anything? No. GOOD!

Also dat soap opera music.

XIII-2 has several flaws of course but it's so refreshingly different from XIII.

Lamia
05-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Might as well rename this thread 'which Final Fantasy Tactics game is your favorite?'

This. It's definitely Tactics for me.

Darth Ganon
05-27-2017, 07:17 AM
Probably Tactics Advanced. It had a unique feeling for me that I'm not sure how to describe. Like a type of nostalgia while playing it for the first time. FFX-2 is close, but having to be so anal to achieve 100% without NG+ dragged it down for me.

Honorable mention to Lightning Returns.

WarZidane
05-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Honorable mention to Crystal Chronicles, but World of Final Fantasy overtook it last year.

Darth Ganon
05-30-2017, 06:33 AM
The little bit I played of Crystal Chronicles with a friend was amazing. Not so much in single player. What a shame.