PDA

View Full Version : Top Five Video Game soundtracks.

Wolf Kanno
05-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Yes, I'm well aware that this isn't going to be easy, but try to come up with your absolute five favorite OSTs from the video game genre.

Karifean
05-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Single tracks or entire soundtracks?

Wolf Kanno
05-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Single tracks or entire soundtracks?

The entire soundtrack.

Pumpkin
05-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Uhhh oh gosh. Probably....

Xenosaga Episode 3
Chrono Trigger
Majora's Mask

I'll have to think on the other 2

Wolf Kanno
05-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Nier Gestalt & Replicant | Nier 2 Automata | Drakengard 3
Final Fantasy VII | Final Fantasy VI | Final Fantasy IX | Final Fantasy XIII
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time | Twilight Princess | A Link to the Past
Kingdom Hearts I | Kingdom Hearts II | Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Beyond Two Souls

I cannot take exactly 5. Only five levels based on several franchises that have certain fantastic soundtracks and the mentioned ones are pretty much equal therefore also fitting to be on that level.

I'm sorry my man, I'm going to be the hypothetical crazy gunman who is going to force you to choose between your children. I need five individual games, not series. :penciltrick:

KleinerKiller
05-03-2017, 08:48 PM
Just off the top of my head:

- Nier
- Undertale
- Dishonored
- To The Moon
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Can't rank them numerically, they're all too good. And I'll give an honorable mention to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, because that game wouldn't be the same without its silly, stupid, gloriously over-the-top soundtrack.

Sephiroth
05-03-2017, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry my man, I'm going to be the hypothetical crazy gunman who is going to force you to choose between your children. I need five individual games, not series. :penciltrick:

Okay, I deleted the post and won't answer again. I won't choose between my children.

Freya
05-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Mass Effect 3. It's pretty dang good. Throwing it in there for consideration.

Yubel-Lover
05-03-2017, 09:58 PM
1) FFVI
2) FFXII
3) Medievil 1
4) Odin Sphere
5) Kingdom Hearts 1

Karifean
05-03-2017, 10:22 PM
5. Final Fantasy VII - What an incredible OST. It hits the different beats of the plot exceedingly well and just draws you in. And it's extremely recognizable.

4. Little Busters! - It has a great mix of light-hearted and emotional tracks and the vocal tracks are actually all pretty damn good. The title screen theme is haunting, the character themes are all wonderfully fitting and, man, the soundtrack is just so nostalgic to listen to!

3. Final Fantasy VIII - My favorite Final Fantasy soundtrack. This game nails the general ambience, battle, mood, dungeon and villain themes so well. Annnnnd I'm a big fan of organ/church/witch-themed soundtracks, too :D

2. Touhou - This series just has crazy good soundtracks, though since the individual games only have a handful of tracks each I find it kind of justified to consider them one. But even if you disagree, pretty much any single game's soundtrack would be good enough to end up on this list, albeit not at #2. My favorite... is probably Subterranean Animism, but not by much.

1. Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Hahahahahaha. Destroying the competition as per usual. I handpick all single tracks from any OST I like well enough to want to listen to on a regular basis. With Umineko I ended up with 90 tracks. I listen to it every day even now years after finishing the game. It's a completely uncontested #1 spot for me.

Honorable Mentions: Rewrite, G-senjou no Maou, Undertale, CLANNAD, Rose Guns Days, any of the other Final Fantasy games

Lyndis Highwind
05-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Ooooo this is gonna be hard!

Well, here we go:

1. Crystal Chronicles
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken
4. Mario Galaxy 1
5. Crystal Bearers

Honorable mentions: F Zero GX, Majora's Mask, Xenoblade Chronicles and Mario Galaxy 2.

Depression Moon
05-03-2017, 11:11 PM
I know Final Fantasy IX is at the top for me, but after that I'm not sure.

Fynn
05-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Hmm... Definitely Bravely Default and Undertale. Gonna have to think about the other three some more.

Scruffington
05-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Mario Galaxy
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XIII
Donkey Kong Country

krissy
05-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

Depression Moon
05-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

Jet Set Radio

I was enjoying this before I was unable to beat the game.

Wolf Kanno
05-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Chrono Trigger
lfUYZmydl8I

Final Fantasy VI
WoBn04lcNmo

Gitaroo Man
hjKlZEYyWPY

Mega Man 2
as_ct9tgkZA

Xenogears
FwVIKUQ__B0

Scruffington
05-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Time to add Persona 5 to my top 5 list of all time.

Probably the best OST in all of gaming in over 10+ years to me. Going to love this soundtrack for the rest of my life.

Uchu
05-18-2017, 07:57 AM
In no particular order:

- FINAL FANTASY VII
- METAL GEAR SOLID
- Sonic the Hedgehog 1&2 (kind of cheating but released as one soundtrack in 2011 ;))
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Darth Ganon
05-20-2017, 05:21 AM
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VIII
Banjo-Kazooie
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

The order is a little loose aside from Chrono Cross being number one.

Lyndis Highwind
05-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VIII
Banjo-Kazooie
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

The order is a little loose aside from Chrono Cross being number one.

I love this list! I used to listen to all of these soundtracks when I was a kid.

Depression Moon
05-25-2017, 06:30 AM
As of right now it's

Final Fantasy IX
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Kirby Super Star
Yoshi's Island and
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I still have more games I need to play.

Skyblade
05-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Persona 3 - One of the greatest works of art in gaming, there are few games where all the elements tie so well together. The music perfectly accents the themes, tone, and events of this game. It's absolutely brilliant, and there are so many songs that immediately evoke feelings and memories.

Bravely Default - When it comes to concerts I really wish I could go to, REVO's Linked Horizon concert for Bravely Default is the one that comes to mind. My gosh, this soundtrack is amazing.

Fire Emblem: Awakening - I have to agree with Lyndis. Blazing Blade has some truly magnificent songs. But, all but one of the great ones are included in Awakening among the tracks in the DLC. Softly with Grace, Strike, even (I believe) A Knight's Oath... The only one really missing is Together We Ride. And, admittedly, that song IS fantastic (and, kind of considered the main Fire Emblem theme, so it's a weird omission). But pairing that up against Awakening's own soundtrack? Songs like Id - Purpose? Eh, I think Awakening wins that one.

Chrono Trigger - No list of great OSTs is complete without this game. While, yes, Chrono Cross had some stand out tracks, I do personally feel that Trigger is superior. From the beautifully fitting character themes, to the amazing incidental tracks, this soundtrack carries you through the whole game, without a single song that goes unnoticed or unappreciated.

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call - Yes, this is cheating. But trying to pick from so many great games is really hard. Unfortunately, this game still lacks some of the great songs from the Tactics Advance, but it does include a lot of the best tracks from the series, including some spinoffs like Crystal Chronicles and Type-0.