PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Mafia XXXI - Discussion Thread

[M] Mom – Host
05-08-2017, 02:25 AM
Discuss how amazing and beautiful I am in this thread.

And also the game, I guess

Formalhaut
05-08-2017, 03:27 AM
Tales hype!

So excited for this game. Let's make it a fun one, everyone!

Fynn
05-08-2017, 08:20 AM
No :stare:

OK, FIIIINE!

Lyndis Highwind
05-08-2017, 06:22 PM
It's Lloyd, Collette, Anise and Jade! Seeing those characters again really brings back memories :).

Pumpkin
05-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Guys I am so hype for the first night phase

Formalhaut
05-08-2017, 07:13 PM
This game just kicked up a notch.

Fynn
05-08-2017, 07:27 PM
A confrontational attitude is all you need to make mafia magical

Formalhaut
05-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Riiight.

Mr. Carnelian
05-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Things seem to be shaping up interestingly so far! Could go any direction.

Pumpkin
05-10-2017, 05:39 AM
So little discussion in the discussion thread ;~;

Could it be that I am not as amazing and beautiful as I thought I was?

No. It's the players who are wrong!

FFNut
05-10-2017, 11:18 AM
It started out with a bang as far as a day off ne goes. Fun game so far.

Fynn
05-10-2017, 11:31 AM
yes pumpkin only 8 pages in one day what an epic failure

FFNut
05-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Kinda upset we never killed a scum day one though. That would have been epic!

Fynn
05-10-2017, 11:38 AM
it's because we're a bunch of wishy-washy pansies

Slothy
05-10-2017, 01:14 PM
To be fair when have we ever killed scum day one?

Karifean
05-10-2017, 01:37 PM
I've certainly been enjoying myself so far :jess: Skits are a really interesting addition to the mix.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-10-2017, 04:04 PM
I, uhhhh, I don't remember Teepo being this focused on bazongas.

Considering his personality mostly manifests from the unspoken thoughts and feelings of Elize, I think we're learning something new about her.

Formalhaut
05-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Really? I thought Teepo was always burying his face into Milla's breasts.

Pumpkin
05-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Considering his personality mostly manifests from the unspoken thoughts and feelings of Elize, I think we're learning something new about her.

Xillia spoilers!!!!

Pumpkin
05-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Also I was just teasing you guys but I'm glad you're having fun :jess:

Formalhaut
05-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Oh, oh yeah! Spoilers! (covertly edits the quoted post)

Formalhaut
05-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Gosh dang it to heck!

No Laddy whyyyyyy! :crying:

Slothy
05-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Can't believe how little discussion there is here.

Bye Laddy. I'm gonna miss you. Dorangowhatsit mafia bros. 4 lyfe!

Pumpkin
05-12-2017, 11:00 PM
It's Danganronpa dear

Freya
05-13-2017, 01:46 AM
Yeah that's what he said, dragonpaw

Formalhaut
05-13-2017, 02:14 AM
What's Dangle Romping?

Slothy
05-13-2017, 02:40 AM
Beats me what fandangos maw is.

Fynn
05-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Wow I'm gone for one day and you guys do this already!

FFNut
05-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Ihad a massive day yesterday too Fynn.

Karifean
05-13-2017, 11:02 PM
RIP Slothy.

Slothy
05-13-2017, 11:23 PM
I went out the way I came in. Kicking and screaming and popping out of some strange woman (metaphorically).

Slothy
05-14-2017, 01:54 AM
Really not seeing what's so confusing about me not voting Lloyd.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Well this day has certainly started off with a bang.

FFNut
05-14-2017, 01:04 PM
It has been a active game yes.

Pumpkin
05-15-2017, 06:30 AM
I figure this is a good time to announce this, although some of you already know!

I would like to gift a special prize to our mafia MVP in the form of a Tales game! Maybe it's one you haven't tried yet, or you want to play the game that your character was in, but if you'll work with me on letting me save up a bit of monies, I'll work with you in getting you the game you want for the console you want!

So even if you've already been eliminated or will be before the game is over, please try your best to keep following along because I'd like to hear from all of you who you think the MVP is for this game once it's finished. We're all adults here too so please don't vote yourself unless you genuinely think you deserve it

Thanks so much for your help with this everyone!

sharkythesharkdogg
05-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Laddy deserves it for always being mafia and then becoming the first kill the one time he's finally town. :lol:

Formalhaut
05-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Woo! Got a Traitor!

Good game, Karifean. You fought Colette's assertions to the very end.

Karifean
05-15-2017, 10:23 PM
Well at least until Kohaku herself contradicted my claim about being the Watcher. Damn them skits =P

For the record I certainly did think of claiming Town Roleblocker but figured it would still have me end up highest on the chopping block so I went for something that could explain all the inconsistencies without imbalancing the game. Didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped.

Still can't believe I survived Day 2 just by keeping quiet though.

Formalhaut
05-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Main thing really was Colette not voting for you. If she had I would'be paid more attention to her claims. Also, by not voting for you (yet strongly stating that you should be) I found that in itself to be pretty damn suspicious.

It was pretty much only after her death that everyone took notice. :p

Slothy
05-15-2017, 10:39 PM
For the record, the reason not to vote for the outed roleblocker is that they suddenly have no power during the day phase and you can block them at will in the night phase. They're literally neutralized and may as well be dead because that's how much influence they have when you out them and block them. So it makes more sense to me to continue hunting elsewhere until it's an absolute necessity to lynch em for some reason. Likely involving math.

FFNut
05-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Well played Kari! One scum down two to go.

Fynn
05-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Now this is unfortunate

Karifean
05-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the afterlife~

Formalhaut
05-16-2017, 09:49 PM
I'm still betting on a Mafia victory on the balance of probability. Town has lost a lot of power roles surprisingly early on for this stage of the game. Enabler, Jailkeeper and Bulletproof Cop? Yikes.

Mr. Carnelian
05-17-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm still betting on a Mafia victory on the balance of probability. Town has lost a lot of power roles surprisingly early on for this stage of the game. Enabler, Jailkeeper and Bulletproof Cop? Yikes.

You WOULD say that, wouldn't you, mafia scum??!!

KleinerKiller
05-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Welp, it was fun while it lasted. I was told to RP a sarcastic, egotistical prick, and I had great fun doing it whilst killing you off, even if my schedule and various stressors kept me from being as active a participant as I'd wanted. Honestly, I'm amazed I even made it this far.

Though I can't help but wish I'd been killed due to being caught in a lie or found out by a power role, rather than because Raven made a lucky guess Day 1 and people didn't like my posting patterns, of all things. But what can you do?

sharkythesharkdogg
05-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Though I can't help but wish I'd been killed due to being caught in a lie or found out by a power role, rather than because Raven made a lucky guess Day 1 and people didn't like my posting patterns, of all things. But what can you do?

Well, to be fair, at least a few people weren't convinced until Velvet said she caught you pulling an action on Eizen night 2, and Pascal confirmed Velvet was telling the truth.

Everyone always sounds suspicious, but that definitely put some nails in your coffin. :lol:

Good game! You played an egotistical jerk pretty darn well.

Formalhaut
05-18-2017, 06:37 PM
I mean, Velvet and Pascal's evidence was the last nail in the coffin, but I reject the assertion that there was literally nothing else. For me, there was enough circumstanial evidence for me to put a vote down compared to other people at the time.

I will say though that you did well to remove yourself from my active suspicions Day Two and Day Three after my early vote on Day One. You did well, KK!

FFNut
05-18-2017, 10:52 PM
well played!

Scruffington
05-19-2017, 09:32 PM
I found it funny how the first person I voted for (Lloyd) ended up actually being scum. Looks my scumdar is on point.

In all seriousness, I was trying something a bit different this game. Laying low and using my power role to my advantage. I should have been more active, but I overall felt like I had a positive impact on the game.

It was pretty fun, and I love this theme. Also, I regret not using my skit :(

Freya
05-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Nah, that was luck. The lloyd thing I think was mostly luck for everyone. Haha I think that's what Slothy had told me, he just picked Lloyd because of Tales reasons. Turned out that silly reason was right!

Pumpkin
05-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Yeah he guarded Lloyd because he thought it was what Colette would do :p

Good game Scruff!

Slothy
05-19-2017, 09:38 PM
yep. I picked Lloyd night one because he's Collette's bff. Pure dumb luck that.

Karifean
05-19-2017, 09:43 PM
I found it funny how the first person I voted for (Lloyd) ended up actually being scum. Looks my scumdar is on point.

In all seriousness, I was trying something a bit different this game. Laying low and using my power role to my advantage. I should have been more active, but I overall felt like I had a positive impact on the game.

It was pretty fun, and I love this theme. Also, I regret not using my skit :(

Haha, well I thought you'd be more prone to get in pointless conflicts with your fellow townies as has been the case in a few games on here. Caught me a bit off-guard that you pretty much avoided doing that this game.

Slothy
05-19-2017, 09:46 PM
I actually didn't even guess that Scruff was Velvet so alternate play style successful I'd say. Even if you did get ganked in the end.

Formalhaut
05-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Gotta admit Scruff's evidence against Jade may have just tipped the balance. I mean I would've kept my vote but it helped sway at least one vote I'm sure.

Shame you didn't do your skit before you died though! That information could've been helpful.

Mr. Carnelian
05-19-2017, 10:07 PM
I had Velvet pegged as Scruff pretty quickly. Just something about Scruff's posting style is quite distinctive.

Scruffington
05-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Haha, well I thought you'd be more prone to get in pointless conflicts with your fellow townies as has been the case in a few games on here. Caught me a bit off-guard that you pretty much avoided doing that this game.

I actually didn't even guess that Scruff was Velvet so alternate play style successful I'd say. Even if you did get ganked in the end.

Yeah, as Slothy said I was kind of going for an alternative playstyle :P My play did have some major holes though.

I don't really want to pat myself on the back too much for this game, because I feel like a game with all power-roles is definitely town-sided.

Formalhaut
05-19-2017, 10:32 PM
I don't really want to pat myself on the back too much for this game, because I feel like a game with all power-roles is definitely town-sided.

You say that, we systematically lost all our power-roles :p

FFNut
05-21-2017, 02:12 AM
OK this lockdown has me nervous with anticipation.

Pumpkin
05-21-2017, 03:50 AM
Good game everyone, you all did great and I had so much fun!

I'll also copy what I said in the other thread so no one misses it:

Now then, everyone please send me who you think this game's MVP was. This person does not have to have lived until the end to qualify. I don't care if you PM it to Pumpkin or message me on Discord or VM Pumpkin or text me, just please tell me privately who your vote goes to. Please don't PM the mafia account as I might not check it since the game is done. And yes, I will harass you about it. And the winner, as we know, of MVP, gets a Tales game of their choosing!

Freya
05-21-2017, 04:05 AM
We couldn't win this game. The listed roles. All the info from the skits plus all the town power roles. It was either go for a power role or go for someone who hadn't used a skit. The skits were like a second power role for town. Then they revealed just sooooo much. I was going to legit claim my own damn role, outside of the mafia bit. But then the skit revealed that there was only one or the other and which was on which side. The skits, plus the roles really boxed mafia in.

Honestly the tracker skill netted us very little useful info anyway.

Also formy, really? He sounds more town because he did the exact same things as I did? That was your reason against me xD like I played the role exactly how I would have as a town. Pretty sure it was because rowen was just more active than I was. I truly was afk for several days with a really bad infection in my chest. Honestly though. I'm surprised I coasted under everyone's radar for as long as I did.

Also also you guys smurfing let Collette claim and point right at Lloyd and then let him live the rest of that day. I laughed and laughed and we laughed in discord.

Eventually I was like, well when she said everyone has a role and there's only so many keft, I gotta claim. I debated on aesctic supersaint xD and hitting both but said screw it and did one that could possibly keep me alive. If it worked I would have laughed and laughed and laughed again

FFNut
05-21-2017, 04:22 AM
Great game by everyone. Good job Freya, I only knew you were the last Mafia due to process of roles elimination. You didn't give off any scum vibes at all.

FFNut
05-21-2017, 04:31 AM
I definitely played it differently then I would have been given the Miller role. I didn't have a ton of time and with everyone having a role I decided to just say whatever and see what people would say. It worked well too.

I had Jade picked as Mafia his first post

Lloyd I went back and forth with a bit.

Fox... You should have counter claimed me right away and you would have probably got me lynched!! Great job Fox, You were all over me there. That was fun.

Also Scruff was awesome in this game! He turned the tides for the town at a pivotal moment! Well played.

Scruffington
05-21-2017, 04:39 AM
GG everyone! Surprised Freya managed to survive as long as she did.

I really enjoyed the theme and I definitely think this one brought some new stuff to the table.

Thanks for hosting, Pumpkin.

KleinerKiller
05-21-2017, 05:54 AM
Wonderful game, Pumpkin! Even though I think some of the behavior was iffy and the Mafia was more or less backed into an unwinnable corner by the end, I had a lot of fun playing. Formy and Scruff were especially impressive, even though you screwed me over. :P

I'd like to see a system similar to skits in some future games, as I think it provides a neat extra layer of strategy if handled right. They were a little OP in this game, though. I'd personally suggest only giving away one hint per skit instead of 2-3, or maybe only distributing them to certain players (something to give Vanilla townies an edge, maybe?) rather than the whole town. Just a thought, though.

Mr. Carnelian
05-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Maybe it was just me being a bit dense, but I didn't think the skits were particularly OP. Most of them were just vague enough to keep you guessing. I honestly had no idea Freya was mafia until they role-claimed.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-21-2017, 12:26 PM
It was a good game!

It's easy to say the skits were over powered, but they also helped mafia key in on some power roles and take them out quickly too. Plus, this is one of the only games town has won across how many games? :shrug:

I had fun trying to play a good guy even though I was neutral, helping town where I could, and using my hunches not to die at night.

It was good for Scruff to finally mention his information when he did, and I'm glad I could confirm it. We make a good team! Once I knew Jade was for sure scummy, it helped me get a bead on the last guy.

Formalhaut
05-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Also formy, really? He sounds more town because he did the exact same things as I did? That was your reason against me xD like I played the role exactly how I would have as a town. Pretty sure it was because rowen was just more active than I was. I truly was afk for several days with a really bad infection in my chest. Honestly though. I'm surprised I coasted under everyone's radar for as long as I did.

The reason why your Tracker role didn't affect much is because all our Town power roles decided to cash out earlier in the game :p

You know this is the second time someone got caught by me and went "but you were just guessing" and I'm a little tired of it. So yeah I didn't have concrete information or what have you, my role means I have literally nothing to give on that front. All I can do is just look at the claimed roles, look at the expected behaviour of that role and compare and honestly I saw a difference between Anise and Rowen's posting style. You both actually posted roughly the same amount. And posts aside, Rowen was very willing to sacrifice himself until Raven kinda blew that idea out of the water, which gave him pro-Town points for me.

So yeah, neither Jade or Anise were 100% confirmed Mafia but there was enough circumstantial evidence for me to swing one way or another. It's a little disheartening spending a lot of time reading through posts and thinking through stuff only for it to be dismissed so casually.

About the game balance? The skits were really powerful towards the end, that's true. The skits were a really good idea though and for an first attempt at introducing such a unique mechanic, I really liked it. I agree with some of the Mafia: the skits could've been slightly depowered. But I think we've got to remember this is literally Pumpkin's first hosting of a Mafia game so obviously things aren't going to be perfect in every instance.

Really good game though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself as Elize!

EDIT: Oh, Mafia people, are we allowed to peer inside your Discord channel? I love hearing the behind-the-scenes stuff.

FFNut
05-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Formy I enjoyed how you switched from Elize, to Teepo in your posts. It was funny to see how they worked together.

Fox
05-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Fox... You should have counter claimed me right away and you would have probably got me lynched!! Great job Fox, You were all over me there. That was fun.

I still maintain that my reasoning for waiting was very solid and there should have been way more suspicion on you! No, my mistake wasn't when I chose to counter claim, it was switching my vote to you from Lloyd and then being too pushy towards you when everyone else was looking at Jade. So everyone already had 'Rita's focusing too much on Raven, maybe she's the Lyncher' in their minds. If I'd managed to avoid that until the counter claim I think we could have had a tense standoff.

The most fun part was getting to RP as Rita Mordio for a week. I might make it a permanent change.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-21-2017, 03:25 PM

I still maintain that my reasoning for waiting was very solid and there should have been way more suspicion on you! No, my mistake wasn't when I chose to counter claim, it was switching my vote to you from Lloyd and then being too pushy towards you when everyone else was looking at Jade. So everyone already had 'Rita's focusing too much on Raven, maybe she's the Lyncher' in their minds. If I'd managed to avoid that until the counter claim I think we could have had a tense standoff.

The most fun part was getting to RP as Rita Mordio for a week. I might make it a permanent change.

Hey Rita! Good game! Your end reasoning was pretty good, but it's like you said, you'd already made your intentions too clear in other ways.

I like to try and identify who is playing what character. I know I have an obvious playing style, for example.

It helped that by day one I was fairly confident that:

Scruff was Velvet
FFNut was Raven
Freya was Anise
Formy was Elize (maybe)

And then I kept trying to reason out who was playing who each day. Sometimes you can't get enough facts to know for sure who is who, so knowing who is playing who helps fill in the gaps. I felt after the Lloyd situation that you were most likely playing Rita, and as such, were most likely the lyncher vs. FFNut/Raven. :shrug:

FFNut
05-21-2017, 04:16 PM
I do the same thing Sharky. If you know the play style of the player when they are town vs Mafia it does help you look a little closer at others. That being said it can turn fatal for you if you miss guess on a person. That's why I love the Mafia accounts.

Karifean
05-22-2017, 12:34 AM
Good game! I think I've already said most of my criticism in private. Special props to sharky who despite not even being a Townie managed to scumread, like, pretty much all of us before we got exposed =P Well now I know to look out for you in the future (though we did target you Night 1) ;)

I was really bemused by the fact that simply being silent got me through Day 2 though. I felt like if I spoke up the Colette vs Lloyd conflict would gain more traction, and simply keeping it on the down low worked out pretty well. I expected we'd hit the Bodyguard in Night 2 by targeting Colette, but well, that's before we knew the Bodyguard was also the Survivor and had no interest in protecting an endangered power role.

Btw Slothy, IMO it's never a good idea to keep a known / highly-suspected Mafia alive on purpose. You say you could null me indefinitely, but that goes both ways. As long as I was around, your doc/roleblock power was completely locked down, allowing the others to freely kill without fear of running into a doc protection =P

Formalhaut
05-22-2017, 12:59 AM
Good game! I think I've already said most of my criticism in private. Special props to sharky who despite not even being a Townie managed to scumread, like, pretty much all of us before we got exposed =P Well now I know to look out for you in the future (though we did target you Night 1) ;)

Yeah, Sharky was definitely my MVP for this game. Very persuasive, detailed arguments, pretty much everything you'd expect from a good Mafia-hunter.

Slothy
05-22-2017, 01:40 AM
Agree to disagree Karifean. :p

sharkythesharkdogg
05-22-2017, 03:17 AM

Yeah, Sharky was definitely my MVP for this game. Very persuasive, detailed arguments, pretty much everything you'd expect from a good Mafia-hunter.

Thanks guys! I wouldn't worry too much though, I think this was about the best I'd ever do at mafia. The game Fynn ran, I was completely convinced FFNut was mafia, and helped us all lose the game. :lol:

My vote went for Formy, coincidentally. He had really good reads too. FFNut had some decent instincts, but also some weird ones. Sorry bud. Formy did a pretty good job throughout.

I also compliment Freya for hiding from me for a quite a while even though she was feeling sick. Nice work!

FFNut
05-22-2017, 03:20 AM
Ya I am definitely not the most articulate of people. most of the reads I had on people early, but didn't know how to say them without sounding like I was 5.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-22-2017, 05:30 PM
I think Pumpkin is supposed to come in with everyone's actions across the different days and nights. Should be amusing.

Pumpkin
05-22-2017, 05:31 PM
I posted it in the game thread already!

Pumpkin
05-22-2017, 07:40 PM
MVP WINNER TIME!!!!!!

It was extremely close between sharky and Formy, but in the end, our winner took it by one vote!

Congratulations Formy, you've won a Tales game of your choice! Just give PM me your details and I'll try to get that sent out to you within the next month

Thanks again everyone for playing and for voting and I'm looking forward to the next mafia hosted by our MVP winner :jess:!!!

Freya
05-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Congrats Formy!

Formalhaut
05-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Get out, whaaa?

Karifean
05-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Congrats Formy!

FFNut
05-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Good job Formy!