PDA

View Full Version : What is your Number One game of all time?

Fynn
05-09-2017, 02:18 PM
And why?

Lyndis Highwind
05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken. I might ramble a bit, but here I go:

It was one of my very first JRPGs. I played it when I was ten years old, and even then I fell in love with the characters and the story. All the characters had so much depth to them, and though the story is simple, it's told well and it really works. There's a big roster of playable characters, and they're all developed really well and they all have a reason to be there. The three main characters work really well together too, and though they don't always get along, they're always there for each other . Just really great characters and story.

The gameplay is great too. Simple and easy to understand. The game itself is no cakewalk either. It's got a good amount of difficulty without being impossibly hard.
The game also gave me a way to connect with my older siblings too, because most of them had already played it. So that's also a big plus.

So yeah that's my number one game of all time! :D

FFNut
05-09-2017, 08:59 PM
10 games just flashed through my head. Can I get back to you on this one?

FFNut
05-09-2017, 09:30 PM
I have it down to:

Final Fantasy Tatics
Chrono Trigger
Uncharted Waters 2 New Horizons
Romance of the three Kingdoms XI
Breath of Fire II (Seriously this is such an underrated game)

Pumpkin
05-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Final Fantasy IX. It's magical, it feels like what I want the story of an RPG to be like, the pacing is good, the characters are excellent, the world is memorable, there's tons of great moments, and it came along at the right time in my life

The battle system is subpar though

Del Murder
05-09-2017, 11:00 PM
Final Fantasy VI is my perfect game. Wonderful characters, interesting story with lots of twists and turns, elaborate side quests, fun battles, beautiful graphics, and a great open world section before that was a buzz term.

Karifean
05-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Umineko: When They Cry

This story is smurfing phenomenal and works on so many levels. Reasoning battles over murder mysteries and locked rooms, with the story actually making you question how to hell these murders could have possibly been committed? YES PLEASE. For a game with a distinct lack of gameplay it certainly doesn't lack player involvement either; you become an active actor in this story as it pretty much demands that you don't just sit back and watch but actually think about things on your own. Which leads into its meta-commentary as it comments on what makes mysteries so engaging in the first place and what's required to even engage with them at all. It really got me thinking about a lot of things, not just related to mysteries but things in my everyday life. Aaaand at a much more base level, the main duo and a lot of the surrounding cast have such amazing chemistry that the story just becomes a blast to read anytime they're on screen together (Episode 3 anyone? :P).

What of course also helps is the incredible character writing. You might not end up liking them as people but the main cast feels so raw and human. There are some really likable characters too of course and some are better written than others, but IMO what Umineko really excels at is creating this sphere in which you can just *get* why. Why they all act and react the way they do. What made them be this way. What they think of themselves and the people around them. How they rationalize even their darkest parts. It's not the most uplifting of stories in that regard but it can really get to you. Especially since Umineko was arguably kind of "ahead of its time" in talking about issues you don't see tackled much in games yet in a very down to earth manner. Out of fear of spoilers though I'll refrain from saying any more.

And all of this is emphasized by quite possibly the best soundtrack in gaming.

Jinx
05-10-2017, 12:20 AM
Ocarina of Time.

There are games out there I've played that I think have better stories or gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I still obv love the elements of OoT, but I know it's far from being one of the objective best games out there. Especially as it ages. But I associate it with really happy memories. Both from just enjoying it, but playing it with my parents. When I was 10, I loved it so much and got inspired to create my own world with maps based off the maps of the game. The music is amazing. A lot of it is nostalgia.

Honorable mentions go to FFIX, probably Fire Emblem: Conquest (just started it, but goddamn), and FFXIV considering I played 2k hours in a year.

Galuf
05-10-2017, 10:23 AM

cos its awesome funny fun good. Slow... but good.

I was close to choosing ffxiv. But tjats just because im addicted. Like cocaine. I can mine Coke in the game too

Scruffington
05-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Probably have to go with Final Fantasy VII.

That game made me fall in love with the hobby of gaming.

Loony BoB
05-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Final Fantasy VII. I just like it a lot.

Formalhaut
05-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Very difficult. I'm very selective with my games so there's not really a single game I disliked which doesn't help narrow down the pool.

But probably the game I remember most fondly, and enjoyed the whole way through was probably Persona 4: Golden. I just loved the story, the core mystery, the characters... it was a fantastic experience.

KleinerKiller
05-10-2017, 05:04 PM
I can never pin down my favorite; I usually flip-flop between Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Fallout 3. The former because it's so charming and fun and I firmly believe it's one of the best RPGs ever made, and the latter because despite not being as choice-driven and complex as New Vegas, it's a bountiful adventure with few of the crippling faults NV has.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2017, 05:24 PM
vqTZfknDVes

Madame Adequate
05-10-2017, 05:33 PM
My personal Number One? It's a toss-up between TES III: Morrowind and Suikoden 2. Suikoden 2 is so beautiful, so charming, so filled with life and detail and character, and tells a surprisingly mature story, all wrapped up in a nice solid JRPG gameplay package. And it has a special place of nostalgia in my heart.

Morrowind is... holy crap. What a vast, rich, meaningful world. What a fantastic place to explore, to inhabit. What an incredible complexity of storytelling.

Vyk
05-11-2017, 05:37 AM
I have a lot of favorite games, but not a lot that I keep going back to, remember fondly with tons of nostalgia and rose-colored glasses, but not a lot that I keep constantly going back to, and probably even less that live up to my own internal hype. One that stands out immediately in my mind is Saints Row 2

The character stories are weirdly deep and dramatic considering how zany and comedic the game can tend to be. The combat and world are entertaining and engaging. There's just something about it that is so far beyond a GTA clone, and not to be elitist, but I don't like GTA anything, and this game is actually good.

Bubba
05-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Final Fantasy VII

It's the game that changed gaming for me. Before that I'd really enjoyed the SNES era with Mario and Zelda but I'd never felt a full range of emotions like that game gave me. It's still magical to me.

DMKA
05-12-2017, 04:10 AM
Final Fantasy VII. I love everything about it. The gameplay. The world. The story. The characters. The music. It really is just a great game that leaves you feeling incredibly satisfied each time you play it.

krissy
05-12-2017, 02:54 PM
sigh final fantasy seven for me

of all time for all people though i'd have to say mario or whatever

Vyk
05-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Pleasantly surprised to see FF7 show up so frequently.

Rocket Edge
05-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Final Fantasy VIII - I got so wrapped up in the story. I loved the gameplay. I loved the music. I loved the characters. I loved the look of the game. Then there's the nostalgia factor which will make the game more than likely insurmountable.

Darth Ganon
05-18-2017, 05:44 AM
Sonic 3 & Knuckles and it's been my favorite for over 20 years.

Aside from general nostalgia I tend to rate games on how frequently I can play them without tiring and this one I can play all the time. Many people consider it or Sonic 2 to be the best in the series, but it was always been more special than just a "best of show" game for me and I don't even really know why.

The Genesis Sonic games in general are great to fall back on. Especially after a bad day they can just kind of take me away from things for a bit.

Now ask what my most important game of all time is and you'll get a completely different answer.

Uchu
05-18-2017, 07:42 AM
FINAL FANTASY VII. It was released at a perfect time for my younger self to be truly taken in by the world and characters.

Krissy, why "sigh final fantasy seven"? Embrace the sevenness! :cool:

Bubba
05-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Now ask what my most important game of all time is and you'll get a completely different answer.

I'm intrigued. What is your most important game of all time?

Galuf
05-18-2017, 11:22 AM
The most important game of all time. Doesnt eve have opinions. Its iniversally accepted to be FFV.

Pike
05-19-2017, 01:07 AM
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and what the hell Huxley why is it not in your top two.

Everything about this game is beautiful. The gameplay, the suspense, the worldbuilding. Ahhh it's just. It's so good. Science fiction at its finest.

Darth Ganon
05-19-2017, 05:27 AM

I'm intrigued. What is your most important game of all time?

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. It introduced me to the series as well as exposing me to a depth I never realized games could have. Up until then I had only really played platformers and action games. Discovering that game essentially spawned a sort of renaissance for me and certainly was what propelled me even deeper into this hobby.

And that ending. I was SO not prepared for that.

Madame Adequate
05-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and what the hell Huxley why is it not in your top two.

Everything about this game is beautiful. The gameplay, the suspense, the worldbuilding. Ahhh it's just. It's so good. Science fiction at its finest.

:ohdear: