PDA

View Full Version : What do you like about FF13 ?

maybee
05-15-2017, 01:47 AM
Thought that it would be a nice idea to create a FF 13 positive thread for anybody to speak about what they liked about the game, and of course a safe house for it's fans. ;3

https://68.media.tumblr.com/cbcd5005c3f176ff2e4306575a9905b9/tumblr_nnojiiINNw1s2w5q7o1_400.gif

Only rule : No hate or bashing of the game or it's characters etc etc etc- this is a positive house.

To start things off, who's your favorite FF 13 character and why ? I really loved Hope and Sazh. Felt really sorry for Hope and what he went through and Sazh was rather cool and refreshing, and him keeping a pet chocobo in his hair was very cute.

Mr. Carnelian
05-15-2017, 02:35 AM
Oooh, tricky. It was very much an ensemble piece, so all the main characters got a good slice of screen time and character exploration/development.

Probably Fang. I'm a sucker for a badass female character.

Scruffington
05-15-2017, 02:45 AM
Fang and Lightning are both great.

Lightning in particular was a really great character to me. I enjoyed her strong, stoic personality and how she was able to open up more as the story progressed. She was definitely a nice change of pace and different from other female FF characters.

KleinerKiller
05-15-2017, 03:11 AM
Really, every main character outside of Lightning has something that I like, and even Lightning isn't too bad (if we're only considering the main XIII game in a vacuum, of course). She's a little bland, but she has her moments.

Fang and Sazh are just the best, though. And I have a soft spot for Jihl, who could've been a great villain if she hadn't gotten shafted right at the end.

Pumpkin
05-15-2017, 03:21 AM
Fang

Also I absolutely love the paradigm system

Vermachtnis
05-15-2017, 04:59 AM
Fang was my favorite too. Hope grew on me too. He was really strong endgame.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-15-2017, 05:25 AM
Music is great in all of the XIII games. I don't quite have the love of the music as other people, but I still really like it.

I really enjoyed the sequels, particularly XIII-2.

On a first time play, I did enjoy the game and was invested in the stories. I cared about the characters, and I found the gameplay interesting. Its a pretty game too. Most problems for me is that there's nothing really new for me to discover in future play throughs, but the game did a good job of keeping me wanting to know what would happen next that first time. It's a slog on future play throughs because of how long it takes to open up, but there's a lot of potential in the system once you have more freedom. Some of the battles are pretty exciting trying to find a good set of paradigms to win.

Yubel-Lover
05-15-2017, 10:27 AM
I haven't finished playing the XIII Trilogy yet (going to start LR soon), but so far I'd say Lightning is by far my favourite character. Caius, Noel and Yeul were very good as well. The music is just amazing, especially the vocal tracks in XIII-2. Things like the themes of Caius, Noes and Yeul are among the best pieces of music I've ever heard in a FF game. The battle system in XIII-2 is also very good. The way you can fight with monsters, and evertything coinnected with that feature was done very well imo.
I'm really enjoying these games tbh, and I can't wait to start LR!

Shiva95
05-15-2017, 01:00 PM
I love most of the characters in that game, but my favorite one is Lightning. She's strong, both physically and mentally, but she's also deeper than she wants to be. She has feelings, but she hides them because she wants to stay strong, and I really love that.

Darth Ganon
05-18-2017, 06:51 AM
I can understand people's dislike for the first game, but I feel the strengths of it outweighed the bad for the most part. Maybe I'm just weird.

1. The story was fantastic. The overall set piece as well as the character stories and how they were involved in the larger picture,

2. Dat soundtrack. From Blinded by Light that we first got a taste of in the trailers to Archylte Steppe when the game finally opens up. Amazing.

3. Characters. This was refreshing after FFXII's mostly dull cast, to have a colorful cast once again. Having a group of already damaged characters dragged down even farther by becoming l'Cie made for many interesting moments.

4. The atmosphere. I was as disappointed as the rest with the lack of proper towns to explore, but what we did get was very ascetically pleasing with fitting music that propelled the environment even more. Especially Gran Pulse.

Here's where I get weird again: FFXIII-2 was great and all, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. Lightning Returns is my favorite of the three, but I'm a sucker for apocalyptic settings. That's hard to beat.

Oh yeah, my favorite character. In XIII it's Sazh, FFXIII-2 is Hope, and LR is the one-man-band guy playing Battle on the Big Bridge.

Fynn
05-18-2017, 07:07 AM
The music was great.

Uchu
05-18-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm glad to see others like the music as well, as I thought it had some beautiful tracks. One of my favourites has to be Lake Bresha - just love running through that crystal landscape.

As for my favourite character, that's a tough one as I think they all played off each other very well. With that said, whenever I had a choice I would usually use Lightning as my party lead.

Vermachtnis
05-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Blinded by Light is the best normal battle theme of the series.

Madame Adequate
05-19-2017, 01:31 AM
I liked doing all the Cie'th stones, felt pretty great when I finished 5-starring them all. Eat trout, Vercingetorix. :cool:

Darth Ganon
05-19-2017, 04:39 AM
I liked doing all the Cie'th stones, felt pretty great when I finished 5-starring them all. Eat trout, Vercingetorix. :cool:

I never would have recalled the name, but for some reason I knew exactly who you were talking about. Yeah, screw that thing.

Sephiroth
05-20-2017, 04:02 PM
She's a little bland, but she has her moments.

Still not gotten behind why she acts like she does and read Episode Zero?

What I like:

The Focus (not the "Focus" that is part of the lore) the characters get screentime-wise and the thought that was invested into everyone when it comes to their character building. Hate Hope? A 14-year old who even before the first installment was introduced as the boy who felt like his father did not really care for him and then lost his mother? Hate that a child in puberty acts like he does after a traumatic event? I do not.
Lightning in general is one of the characters with the largest, most fleshed out and polished script. Of course multiple installments help for that.
The music from Mazashi Hamauzu is incredible
The World. Whether it is Cocoon, Gran=Pulse or Nova Crysalia - it just looks good and interesting.
Barthandelus was an interesting take on the not so typically cool looking villain that still had his own charme somehow and still was cool. Maybe it is also thanks to me loving Emperor Palpatine.
Caius is one of the best villains in the entire franchise, only to be topped by Sephiroth and Kuja. On par with Seymour if not better.
Kimi ga iru kara is one of the best musical pieces ever release for a Final Fantasy. Only to be topped by Katayoku no Tenshi, also known as "One-Winged Angel".
I like how it is the first cast where I really liked every single character somewhat. That is not even the case with Final Fantasy VII. I don't really like characters like Cid.
The Last Hunter is probably the best boss battle theme/stronger enemy battle theme after Still More Fighting from VII and The Decisive Battle from VI that both share the first place.
As it normally is, it makes me wish, there was more of it.

Forsaken Lover
05-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Vanille's tushy.

Lamia
05-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Favorite character is Lightning. Visually, her character design is really good. She's just a badass.

Great combat - I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I found it very engaging. I really enjoyed experimenting with paradigms, testing out all the various combinations. I liked that when the crystarium opened up, that there were unique advantages for characters in those roles outside of their "primary" ones they start off with (Lightning being able to become a dodge/agility based tank, for instance).

The music and art direction - both go very well together. I think this is one of the more tonally consistent Final Fantasies. It's one of the few FF's where I like some of the other tracks more than the battle and boss themes (although I love FF music. Even FFI has some good ones like Matoya's Cave). My favorite track is "The Vestige". Beautiful.

I liked most things about FF13. Yeah I missed towns and stuff, but with the way the game is set up I really DID feel like Lightning and gang really were exiled. It was a different feeling for sure.

Example
05-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Oddly enough, Hope. I went in prepared to hate him and he ended up being my second favourite character after Sazh. Yeah he tends to whine a bit but given the circumstances he was set in I didn't think his reactions were THAT over the top. Plus he actually grows and matures more than any other character over the course of the game.

I really dug the music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQzPvgG4AcU

Forsaken Lover
05-31-2017, 09:33 PM
My favorite characters were the ones everyone else hated. Snow, Hope and Vanille.

maybee
06-01-2017, 03:53 PM
My favorite characters were the ones everyone else hated. Snow, Hope and Vanille.

I love hope too and I used to dislike Vanille but now she's one of my tops fav female Final Fantasy characters. Don't understand why people hate Hope ? Hope is just a young boy who just lost somebody close to him and didn't know or had the time to cope.

Yubel-Lover
06-01-2017, 08:13 PM

I love hope too and I used to dislike Vanille but now she's one of my tops fav female Final Fantasy characters. Don't understand why people hate Hope ? Hope is just a young boy who just lost somebody close to him and didn't know or had the time to cope.

Same here. Never had a single problem with Hope and Vanille.

Darth Ganon
06-02-2017, 06:31 AM
I was beginning to get frustrated with Hope, but then he cowboyed up and we were cool after that. There was never a hate.

No hate for Vanille either, but she felt more like a catalyst for Fang's character rather than being her own. Although she was good moral support for Hope and Sazh when they were paired up.

Sefie1999AD
06-02-2017, 11:24 AM
My favorite characters in the trilogy are Serah (post-XIII) and Noel. The former for growing up from a damsel in distress to an independent character who's ready to save the world even if it means she'll die doing so. The latter for forming up a nice dynamic duo with Serah, and his character background about being the last human alive in a dying world is also intriguing.

Things that I like about the games in the FFXIII trilogy:

* Gameplay. This is what the games have done well in a hidden way. When I start playing the game, I notice all of a sudden that I've played it for a few hours. It's fun to play and time passes quickly, which is a simple but effective merit for the game. I've played each game in the trilogy for over 100 hours, which is suprising, since none of them are among my favorite FFs, but I've managed to clock 100+ hours only in FFXIII games (FFXII comes next with 99 hours).

* Battle system. The Paradigm Shift system becomes more enjoyable when you realize that Auto-Battle (which I think should be renamed to Auto-Queue) isn't your battle action, it's the Paradigm Shift. When you understand how the battle system works, you can creative quite creative setups that will let you react to different phases within battles. For example, I never use the common setup Commando-Ravager-Medic, since I find it boring and badly optimized. Instead, I'd rather use multiple, specialized setups that let you play in a dynamic way, reacting according to what happens in the battle.

* Story (in a way). While the story isn't really the games' strong point or main attraction, it's still interesting enough that you want to know what happens to the game's world and its characters. If games like FFVI, FFVII and FFIX have deep and complex storylines, the FFXIII trilogy is more like an enjoyable popcorn flick. Even so, some parts are written really well, and the Last Day of Lightning Returns has some of the most emotional scenes in the FF series. Also, do the "Life of a Machine" sidequest in LR. It's very well written, and surprised me with onion ninjas.

* Quests. This is what I liked about FFXIII-2 and LR. Interacting with the NPCs and doing quests to help them out. It's lots of fun, and helps you grow more attached to the game's world.

* Soundtrack. I thought the FFXIII soundtrack by Masashi Hamazu was great, and showed how he's improved since the days he wrote the FFX soundtrack. "Blinded by Light" is one of the best battle themes in the series. I think the FFXIII-2 soundtrack is even better, even if it is somewhat different. Humming along Serah, Noel and Caius' themes is great. :jess: While I didn't enjoy the LR soundtrack as much as the other two, it still has several great moments, and many of the dramatic and emotional moments are so powerful due to the accompanying music.

* General technical stuff. Most of the time, the graphics, sounds and voice acting are good enough to improve the game, rather than diminish the experience.

Yubel-Lover
06-03-2017, 01:40 PM
I was beginning to get frustrated with Hope, but then he cowboyed up and we were cool after that. There was never a hate.

No hate for Vanille either, but she felt more like a catalyst for Fang's character rather than being her own. Although she was good moral support for Hope and Sazh when they were paired up.

I think that Hope was a very realistic character. Judging things from his perspective he was a 14 years old spoiled kid who got thrown in a life-or-death situation out of nowhere after losing his mother. We don't really see much of her, but it's not a stretch to assume that she was kinda overprotective, so it does make sense for him to be afraid and whiny.

I agree about Vanille. Her carefree attitude was very needed at certain moments. Fang was definitely the more important character between the two, but I think Vanille found her spot thanks to the connection developed with Sazh.

Aulayna
06-08-2017, 01:35 PM
The logo was pretty. The battle theme was pretty rad, too.

Psychotic
07-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Snow and Sazh were both pretty awesome, and I didn't mind Vanille. Caius and Noel in the sequels were great too.

Madame Adequate
07-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Snow

:irked: I see that Steve Watkins has a hold of your account

Realtalk I do actually like the game for the most part it's one of the weakest in the series but it's still fun enough to just sit down and play through.

Psychotic
07-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Nah man, Troy Baker could be the voice actor for a character who literally is Steve Watkins and he'd still be my favourite char.

Fynn
07-04-2017, 07:56 PM
Paul why are you doing this to me

Shaymin
08-22-2017, 01:16 PM
I like the music so much I bought the soundtracks.