PDA

View Full Version : When you were a kid what did you want to be?

FFNut
06-08-2017, 01:22 AM
Hey everyone I am wondering what you wanted to be when you were a child? Did you dream of becoming a spy? A Policeman/woman? Or maybe a teacher?

Myself I had dreams of being a professional hockey player. My dad sat me down and told me it wasn't being realistic though I came close so he asked me to pick a backup dream too. That backup dream was a conservation officer. I liked the idea of tracking down poachers, helping wild animals in trouble, and restocking the rivers and lakes with fish for future generations.

Its funny I came closer to my unrealistic dream then I did the backup but hey, that's life.

What were your dreams as a child? Are you living your dream now? Are you still working toward it?

Vermachtnis
06-08-2017, 05:06 AM
I wanted to be a paleontologist. Going around and digging up dinosaurs seemed so cool. I'm working in a nursing home, so it's kind of similar.

I do say if I go back to college, I'll do a geology major. I still like rocks seeing what makes our planet tick.

Fynn
06-08-2017, 05:42 AM
I wanted to be a veterinarian

Vyk
06-08-2017, 05:45 AM
I wanted to be a paleontologist. Going around and digging up dinosaurs seemed so cool. I'm working in a nursing home, so it's kind of similar.

I do say if I go back to college, I'll do a geology major. I still like rocks seeing what makes our planet tick.
I was always fascinated by archaeology, but the one dealing with dinosaurs was the most fascinating. I think I switched every year as to whether I wanted to dig up dinosaur bones, or fly into outer space. Though general astronomy has stayed fascinating, I no longer want to ride a rocket into the stratosphere

Darth Ganon
06-08-2017, 06:26 AM
I remember wanting to be a garbage man or an astronaut once. Even a sewer cleaner at one point because I liked the big vacuums they used.

When I was in high school I had the dumb idea of maybe becoming a teacher (I was an awful student). Oddly enough with my current job I became one in a way.

a blitzball

I understood that reference.

Aulayna
06-08-2017, 11:35 AM
At one point I wanted to work at NASA.

Then I wanted to be a vet.

Then I wanted to make video games.

Then I wanted to be a Disney Princess.

Then I wanted to be a vet again.

Then I wanted to work with aeroplanes.

Then my parents got divorced and I went through one of the lowest periods of my life, which also coincidentally tied-in with when I was doing my GCSEs, picking stuff for college and University, so just chose stuff I could cruise through with no effort.

Somehow I ended up where I am today, which isn't bad by any means but I'm still not sure if it's what I really want to be doing.

FFNut
06-08-2017, 12:45 PM
At one point I wanted to work at NASA.

Then I wanted to be a vet.

Then I wanted to make video games.

Then I wanted to be a Disney Princess.

Then I wanted to be a vet again.

Then I wanted to work with aeroplanes.

Then my parents got divorced and I went through one of the lowest periods of my life, which also coincidentally tied-in with when I was doing my GCSEs, picking stuff for college and University, so just chose stuff I could cruise through with no effort.

Somehow I ended up where I am today, which isn't bad by any means but I'm still not sure if it's what I really want to be doing.

What is it that you really want to be doing?

Aulayna
06-08-2017, 01:10 PM
That's the thing, I don't know!

Fynn
06-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone really knows, tbh

FFNut
06-08-2017, 01:14 PM
That's the thing, I don't know!

Well if you do have a dream don't be scared to chase it. It is never to late. I know I still would love to work with wildlife. Ensure it is there for the future generations to enjoy and watch. I volunteer my time towards that now as it doesn't pay the bills, but it is still the thing I love doing. Don't be scared to volunteer and just tip your toes in to see if you will enjoy something.

Pumpkin
06-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone really knows, tbh

I do

I wanted to be a lot of things when I was little. Veterinarian and appraiser are the ones I remember most

Psychotic
06-08-2017, 01:35 PM
I had RAF pilot and police officer phases, followed by a concerted plan when I was a teenager to be a lawyer. I dropped that at sixth form college and instead decided upon "Rich person who does something financial at a bank, I guess?".

I have done precisely 0 of these things.

Freya
06-08-2017, 02:38 PM
I wanted to be a dragon.

Then I wanted to be a fairy.

Then I wanted to be RIDING a dragon.

So now i'm going back to trying to be a dragon.

Sephex
06-08-2017, 03:05 PM
When I was a kid I always hated this question. I understood the urgency of it when I was in High School, but even as a very young child I thought the question was very odd and weird to ask someone that just learned to walk a few short years ago at the time.

That being said I was pretty deep into baseball for awhile and considered that. Then I played little league for a couple of years. Overall, I had a good time and was an average player that made a couple of key plays here and there. But I knew then that playing baseball was more of a "just for fun" thing for me.

fat_moogle
06-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I remember wanting to be a "race car �� driver" when I was an ickle hatchling but other than that I've never really been very ambitious, and that's something that I really don't like about myself.

Shauna
06-08-2017, 05:08 PM
I wanted to be a doctor. When that fell through because of not-good-enough grades, I decided maybe some kind of sciencey-Biology job so I did my degree around that.

I am currently a civil servant working for the tax office chasing down tax avoiders.

Dreams do come true!

Lyndis Highwind
06-08-2017, 05:15 PM
I remember when I was really little, I wanted to be a coffee barista because I made coffee for my mom everyday, and I always had fun making it for her. Now I've been thinking about going to art classes and doing commissions.

Wolf Kanno
06-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Not even lying, but in high school, I kind of wanted to be a vagrant and simply hitchhike my away back and forth across the country eking out a living. It seemed more interesting to me than most professional careers. I never really thought about the future much when I was growing up, I still don't for the most part, but I at least have more realistic goals now.

Fynn
06-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Not even lying, but in high school, I kind of wanted to be a vagrant and simply hitchhike my away back and forth across the country eking out a living. It seemed more interesting to me than most professional careers. I never really thought about the future much when I was growing up, I still don't for the most part, but I at least have more realistic goals now.

This doesn't surprise me in the least ;)

Aulayna
06-08-2017, 06:00 PM

You mean... you mean... you didn't aspire to be a canoe?

My world has been shattered.

FFNut
06-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I know right. Is my whole life one big lie?

Scruffington
06-08-2017, 06:54 PM
I originally wanted to be a doctor, then a DJ, then a lawyer.

I still kind of want to be a lawyer. The Ace Attorney series has me super interested in that field.

Scotty_ffgamer
06-08-2017, 09:57 PM
I wanted to be an astronomer from kindergarten up until sometime in middle school. I used to read any book I could about space, and I would incorporate it into school assignments whenever possible.

I specifically wanted to be the one to prove that black holes were somehow connected to other universes, which I was absolutely certain of.

And then I wanted to be a high school English teacher all the way through college. Discovered I wasn't too good at it and I don't like high schoolers. Wish I would have got to that point before I graduated college. Now I don't know what I want to do.

krissy
06-09-2017, 02:29 AM
i wanted to be tyler durden

Darth Ganon
06-09-2017, 04:47 AM
I wanted to be a dragon.

Then I wanted to be a fairy.

You wanted to be Maleficent?

I understood the urgency of it when I was in High School

Something I've come to understand as I've gotten a little older is that it's not urgent at all while you're in high school. If students have a goal or passion to pursue then good for them, but it should never be expected of them. After all, even after graduation we were all still just kids.

FFNut
06-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Ganon speaks the truth there. I fell into my career after while trying to save money to go to school. I may have spent 48 hours in college my whole life total.

LunarWeaver
06-09-2017, 03:27 PM
An astronaut. Kinda classic I guess. Then I grew up and was like smuuuuurf that.

Christmas
12-10-2022, 04:10 PM
I wanted to be an internet forum administrator. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
12-11-2022, 03:23 PM
I wanted to be Christmas.

Dr. Acula
12-12-2022, 03:24 AM
I wanted to be a blitzball

Christmas
12-12-2022, 01:09 PM
We are all balls getting kicked around when we grew up. :(