PDA

View Full Version : Mistwalker announces Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars

Wolf Kanno
06-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Doubt this is going to get much attention but I feel it's still interesting all the same. Mistwalker teased some time ago that they were working on a few projects and they finally announced them today.

Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars mark the beginning of what Sakaguchi hopes will become the "Terra World" franchise (http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/20/terra-battle-2-works-smartphone-pc-teases-terra-wars/). Sakaguchi has mentioned that although TB2 and TW will have the same concept, their scenario, gameplay and world view will be different from each other (my eye twitched when I read that because it reminded me of the FNC) and Sakaguchi has stated that he is approaching the potential franchise the same way he did with Final Fantasy, where the games will share common elements but largely be unconnected and original stories and games from each other. He hopes the games will blossom into a franchise and is hoping for at least nine entries once it gets going.

Terra Battle 2 is a mobile/PC game sequel for Terra Battle co-developed with Silicon Studios (Bravely Default series) which will feature a new cast, scenario, and 20 tracks from Nobuo Uematsu. Characters can't level up but can change their stats by equipping new gear and you can recruit four buddy characters to help you. There are 50 Chapters planned for the game at the moment and Mistwalker hopes to have a chapter released every week once TB2 releases.

Far less is known about Terra Wars except that it will feature characters from the original Terra Battle and that apparently it uses claymation? It will have a similar concept to TB2 but little else is known, not even it's targeted platform.

Below are some concept art and music for the new projects, as well as a video released earlier this week showing off Sara.

03mctPjvXu0

p3zTlEC3TwU

LZPR6SNEANY

Also Mistwalker plans on still supporting the original Terra Battle with a huge update at the end of this month as well as a collaboration with Yoko Taro (Drakengard/NieR) and his team (http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/20/terra-battle-2-works-smartphone-pc-teases-terra-wars/), who are working on a new scenario for the game that ties into their own Drakengard/NieR universe.

While I'm sure most people don't care about Mistwalker, let alone another mobile title, I'm pretty psyched cause the original Terra Battle is probably my favorite mobile game I've had the pleasure to play and I liked that it did it's best to not follow the usual F2P model.

Freya
06-20-2017, 07:25 PM
I played Terra Battle for a bit. The art was gorgeous. I never redownloaded it when I got my new phone and kinda forgot.

Vyk
06-21-2017, 03:27 PM
I don't think it's available on Windows phone, and I changed to that shortly after it came out. I tried it at the beginning, but it was very basic at the time. It had a lot of upgrades since, that I missed out on, so I can't really judge it. I do trust Wolf's interest though, so I'll have to keep an eye out on the series future

Wolf Kanno
06-21-2017, 05:07 PM
It's a shame you haven't had a chance to check out the improvements. I dropped the game and only played it sporadically a few months after downloading it when it first released. I came back to it earlier this year and was pleasantly surprised by the changes. While I'm not the biggest fan of F2P mobile titles, Terra Battle has a few elements that make me come back to it every few months or so which is more than I can say about some other titles.

While I'm not thrilled with the concept of it being a mobile title, I am happy the series is getting a sequel and that Mistwalker is still doing stuff. I'm curious to see what will become of Terra Wars because I'm pretty sure it's the console port of Terra Battle promised with DL Starter Campaign.

Wolf Kanno
06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
They released a trailer for Terra Battle 2.

SGjD9sYeCw8

Also, more screenshots of Terra Battle 2.

It also looks like I'm wrong about Terra Wars because it seems to have been confirmed as a mobile title as well. It looks adorable though, but I can't upload the pictures due to size.

Vyk
06-24-2017, 04:19 AM
There's a teaser trailer out now, and also a small behind the scenes snippet on them modeling their claymation set-up. Kudos on both fronts. Other Japanese studios could learn a lot. I usually hate watching trailers for games that aren't out yet if they're coming from Japan, because they never show any gameplay. And this actually did not show any either. But instead of a character montage about people I don't know, or care about, making quotes that mean nothing to me, and listing weird gameplay additions that mean nothing because they don't show them in action, or even say what type of game genre it is so I couldn't even guess what significance their statements have. This one just showed a small yet powerful snippet of story. It gave me a much better impression than most Japanese trailers. And the behind the scenes was very endearing. It makes me really root for this development team even if I can't directly support them

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Here's the behind the scenes trailer for Terra Wars Vyk mentioned.

ND_l7gL7JEo

Overall I agree with you Vyk. While I'm not a huge mobile fan, I do feel Mistwalker made not only a powerful trailer for TB2, but I like the experimental direction they are going with their new titles. The claymation animated Terra Wars is just so quirky looking already.

The Trailer for Terra Battle 2 was pretty impressive, enough so I may check out the game when it finally releases later this summer. I enjoyed Terra Battle but it will be nice to see a game that is shaping up to look pretty interesting.