PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Ham

ham
06-22-2017, 08:52 PM
Hey!

I recently started playing "Final Fantasy VIII" again and after some searching I have been brought here. Growing up VII, VIII, and IX were the most current games out and so happen to be my go-to games when a wave of nostalgia hits me. I think my favorite character out of all of the Final Fantasies are the different iterations of Cid - my least favorite would probably be the Headmaster Cid Kramer because he wasn't doing anything with airships.

Speaking of airships I am an a Aviation Maintenance Technician in-training - I'll explain that in a moment. I've graduated a technical school to work on aircraft around the Untied States but I haven't been certified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) yet because I am still studying for parts of the tests. During my training I was able to work on a few cool airplanes that are not fully operational. My favorite part and probably the part I want to specialize in is working with electricity that power these bad boys up. I've also enjoyed working with reciprocating engines and turbines even though I'm not very good at it. Hopefully, I will succeed in passing all the tests and be able to work on aircraft sometime soon.

I also love to write and during my community college years (before I got into technical college) I was writing for the school newspaper. During my time there I wrote articles about art, music events, and even did some photography. I was never able to really hone these skills down because of personal health issues at the time but now that I have some time I'd like to get started in some way.

Del Murder
06-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Welcome, ham. Hope you enjoy posting here!

Freya
06-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Oh wow, hi there ham! I also like to write, so we can relate. We have a few writers around here so if you ever want to talk writing we have a whole subforum for it!

What a cool job to have though. That's super neat.

Cid is super cool, I am of course bias to frog cid for reasons. Glad you've joined our little corner of the internet! Hope you stick around!

Vyk
06-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Salutations fellow writing-dabbler. Please enjoy your stay here, everyone is friendly and we all love you

Psychotic
06-22-2017, 09:50 PM
Hello ham! Welcome to EoFF :)

theundeadhero
06-23-2017, 12:08 AM
Hello ham!

You may be concerned about me wanting to eat you, but don't worry, I only eat people. You sound really passionate about your field of study and that's amazing. Finding what you enjoy and doing it is the best way to go in life. Have you considered writing about Final Fantasy? Your previous writing looks a bit like journalism, and there's always news about the next game, new projects they're working on, gaming conventions, and open letters to FF XIV players you could find interesting.

fat_moogle
06-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the forums, Ham! I'm assuming you're a piggy bank.

Are you?

Pumpkin
06-23-2017, 02:09 AM
Hi Ham, I'm Pumpkin. I welcome you as a fellow food item and hope you stuck around so we can become food besties

ham
06-23-2017, 02:53 AM
Del Murder, hello and thank you!

Freya, thank you for the lead! I'll be sure to check it out. Aviation Maintenance Technician (AMT) is a pretty cool job and covers a lot of things that surprised me when I started training. Elon Musk's company SpaceX has hired a lot of maintenance crew to maintain his projects. I'm not sure if any of them have worked on the reusable rockets he's been headlining with his company but it definitely is an interesting time to be in this field. Bias towards frog Cid? As in you do not like him or you like him a lot? The first Cid I've encountered was FF7 Cid and his constant cursing and his main story. In hindsight, maybe that's what prompted me to get into AMT in the first place!

Vyk, hello and thank you!

Psychotic, hello and thank you!

theundeadhero, I won't worry... too much! I'm not entirely enthusiastic about aviation but in broader terms it's a means to the end of what I really want to do which is something science related. I've always felt like a more hands on type of guy whose needs to take an appliance apart to figure out what does what. I have considered writing about Final Fantasy! Before posting I browsed the site a little bit to get a clearer picture before registering. I just don't have any idea of where to begin this venture so I started with the introduction.

pudgy bird, I might be...

Pumpkin, hello Pumpkin! Being food besties sounds like a great idea! :D

theundeadhero
06-23-2017, 06:55 AM
The best place is to find somewhere talking about something and just throwing yourself into it :)

Fynn
06-23-2017, 07:58 AM
DID SOMEBODY SAY WRITING? HAVE I BEEN SUMMONED????

Hi Ham. I'm one of those dweebs Freya mentioned. My main trait is that I'm over ambitious and never finish anything. Hope you stick around and help make this place even better :monster:

Bubba
06-23-2017, 08:28 AM
Welcome Ham, great introductory post! I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that your job sounds cooler than all of ours.

Looking forward to seeing your writing. Don't be afraid to post around in the threads or even make some of your own if there is something you want to chat about :D

We also have an active chat over on Discord if fancy getting to know how weird we all are...

Scruffington
06-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Welcome Ham! Hope you enjoy your time around here.

krissy
06-23-2017, 03:59 PM
ham solo? you're THE ham solo? the pilot of the millenium bacon?

Christmas
06-24-2017, 05:38 AM
Hi, I am not Ham but I like bacon! We can make bacon together one of these days! :bigsmile:

But not Ham, we cannot make Ham, it's illegal. :(

Formalhaut
06-25-2017, 03:09 PM
A little late to the welcoming party but welcome!

I'm really glad that you're into writing! We have our share of writers here, which I'm sure Fynn or Freya has mentioned already. If your favourite FFs are VII through to IX, you will make friends here. Particularly with IX. Lots of people like that game.

Bri
06-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Welcome Ham! I have to say you have a pretty unique name there friend. Enjoy and have fun posting! Making friends!