PDA

View Full Version : What is something you loved about VIII...

Wolf Kanno
07-07-2017, 03:34 AM
...that everyone else seems to hate about it?

I'm honestly a fan of the Draw mechanic, for some reason I just love the idea of stealing magic from enemies and I simply felt it added another lair to battles as long as you paced yourself properly. What about you?

maybee
07-07-2017, 05:36 PM
The draw system, the orphanage plot twist, the junction system, Rinoa, Irvine, Zell.

Jinx
07-07-2017, 05:42 PM
when it was over

Pumpkin
07-07-2017, 05:46 PM
I liked the Junction system. I just wish you could use your magic without losing it

theundeadhero
07-08-2017, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure what all people hate about this game, but there was a lot I liked so I'm sure I could find something.

Example
07-09-2017, 06:29 PM
I think the fan theories are pretty interesting and add a lot of depth to the story. I have a feeling Square originally intended them to be canon but then that would have made an already complicated story even more so, which would have made it less accessible to the target demographic. Sort of like how Xenogears was made into its own thing after being deemed "too dark" for Final Fantasy.

Darth Ganon
07-11-2017, 07:30 AM
I liked the Junction system. I just wish you could use your magic without losing it

This.

Although when junctioned properly only a handful of spells remain useful. Unfortunately those are usually the best for junctioning. One reason why Doomtrain is nice: no need to use Meltdown.

Lyndis Highwind
07-11-2017, 03:27 PM

I liked it too. It made finding new magic more exciting!

Forsaken Lover
07-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Rinoa's character. She's pretty much the only party member I care about.

MJN SEIFER
07-16-2017, 10:37 PM
How close it is to our world; I just love Final Fantasy VIII in general, but I just love how when you explore the different towns like Balamb, Timber, and Dollet it just feels like having a walk around a real place, just with Final Fantasy stuff added in - hell, even the Garden's feel like some school or college you could have gone to, at times.

maybee
07-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Rinoa's character.

Yes ! Rinoa is amazing !

:love:

Galuf
07-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Yeah I like zell and irvine they are pretty cool and funny. Most people despise zell though :(

Sephiroth
07-19-2017, 11:03 PM
I think the fan theories are pretty interesting and add a lot of depth to the story. I have a feeling Square originally intended them to be canon but then that would have made an already complicated story even more so, which would have made it less accessible to the target demographic. Sort of like how Xenogears was made into its own thing after being deemed "too dark" for Final Fantasy.

Oh, the irony

Edge7
07-20-2017, 09:00 PM
How close it is to our world; I just love Final Fantasy VIII in general, but I just love how when you explore the different towns like Balamb, Timber, and Dollet it just feels like having a walk around a real place, just with Final Fantasy stuff added in - hell, even the Garden's feel like some school or college you could have gone to, at times.
This. Final Fantasy VIII variety of locations made me in some ways prefer its world of "a Fantasy based on reality" to XV's. Really, that game's weakest link was really only being allowed to explore Lucius' countryside. I remember being disappointed when Final Fantasy VIII slowly transitioned from 20th Century Americana/Europeana with fantastical elements to a full-blown Futuristic Science Fantasy.

I also think the cast gets a bit too harsh of a wrap. They can be obnoxious at times, but I was always fond of them. Then again, I only ever really watched my older brother play FFVIII past the first disc, so I might only remember their fun moments.

Bubba
07-21-2017, 10:17 AM
After Fynn saying that he hated the soundtrack I just wanted to say I thought it was fantastic.

BustaMo
07-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Honestly, Zell's character was one of the main reasons I dragged myself into completing the game. I wasn't a big fan of it and I could not relate to any of the characters, but his sense of humor livened it up a bit for me. I feel most gamers found his personality kind of annoying, but he didn't seem so bad to me compared to the rest of the cast.