PDA

View Full Version : FFXII: TZA Impressions

fat_moogle
07-12-2017, 06:37 PM
So today is the day that many of you have been anticipating - the launch of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. For those of you that have played the game before how does it compare to the original? Does it feel like a 10 year old game, or have the new features given it another lease of life? Or maybe you missed out on the PS2 version and are playing for the first time? Either way, discuss

Formalhaut
07-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Ooh I really want to play this. Can't afford it yet though. Maybe next month or the end of summer.

Wolf Kanno
07-12-2017, 08:24 PM
If I wasn't so damn broke I would have picked this up. :( #adulting #firstworldproblems

Karifean
07-12-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. I've already talked a bit about my thoughts on it in the Discord chat, but basically... man I love this game. I've played IZJS so not much new stuff for me (so far), but still a definitive step above the original in my eyes.

I just beat Belias so everyone finally gets their second job. My combos are:

Vaan: Time Battlemage --> Monk
Balthier: Machinist --> Uhlan
Fran: Red Battlemage --> Black Mage
Basch: Knight --> Bushi
Ashe: Foebreaker --> Archer
Penelo: Shikari --> White Mage

- I forgot that Red Mage doesn't get the Tier 1 spells. Good thing I gave the role to Fran who knows most of them innately. Probably should've gone Black Mage first instead.
- Be it Red Mage or Black Mage though, they need a *lot* of gambit slots to cover every weakness.
- Early Time Mage is outclassed by Red Mage, like, completely. It gets nothing Red Mage doesn't get. Might as well have it be your second job. Though I did enjoy destroying the Flowering Cactoid with the 100% accurate (and pretty powerful!) crossbow with just Vaan and Penelo.
- No regrets in leaving White Mage out for later. All the girls know Cure and Blindna innately anyways, and Red Mage gets Cura and Raise just as well. And Shikari is pretty powerful early on.
- I should've gone Uhlan before Machinist since guns fall off very quickly, a faster-charging weapon is just more useful. Buuut I just invested the time into getting the early Arcturus which killed Belias in 5 hits. So that's a thing.
- Serenity and Focus are absolute monster licenses. +50% on all damage and healing when your HP is full, it's easy to overlook just how good that is.
- Aero decimates both Yensa sandseas. One-shots pretty much everything, with or without Serenity. And that was without the Cherry Staff that increases Wind damage by 50%.
- Guest characters are bonkers. Lamont joins the party with the Shades of Black technick, and if you don't already realize what that means I urge you to set it as his main attacking gambit. Needless to say that little passage through the Lhusu mines was pretty laid back. Later on, Vossler comes with Wither and Expose, the former being the most broken move in the game. Managed to beat both the Ring Drake and Marilith with it. And that was before Belias.
- Finding spells and technicks and unique accessories in chests is so satisfying. You can find all sorts of handy stuff just by looking around enough. The lack of that feelings was one of original XII's biggest flaws IMO.

Slothy
07-13-2017, 12:07 AM
My impressions are if they ever decide to release this on the PC I'll be a lot more impressed.

Crop
07-13-2017, 09:17 AM
I played it all Tuesday and Wednesday and will do so again today. I'm just gutted I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Needless to say I'm enjoying it immensely.

Yar
07-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Honestly, this is to me the greatest FF release in about fifteen years. So much better than XII or XV were.

When XII first came out I was rather disappointed with it. This release has fixed so many of the things that bothered me with that original release.

Visually, it is gorgeous, but the fact that it is a remastered PS2 game is noticeable. I am hesitant to fault it for that though, and it is a better HD remaster than X/X-2 and Type 0 were.

The music is truly amazing. The new orchestrated tracks have only impressed me so far.

I'm having lots of fun with the jobs and I like that they have really opened up the gambits and equipment.

DMKA
07-13-2017, 11:34 PM
My impressions are if they ever decide to release this on the PC I'll be a lot more impressed.

Why though? FFXII:IZJS HD has been on PC for years. :p

Slothy
07-14-2017, 12:06 AM
If I emulated sure but I know from experience how hit or miss PS2 emulation can still be.

Besides, I've still got the original PS2 version of FFXII and if I'm going to bother with the extra stuff I'd just as soon pay Square for making smart decisions and continuing to release good Final Fantasies on the PC.

Karifean
07-20-2017, 11:58 PM
I platinum'd this game on Monday. Decided to make use of the PS4's handy dandy record feature to record my fight against the ultimate superbosses of the game - the five Judge Magisters in the Trial Mode.

ndB-QOPjwy8