PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Deaths

Bubba
07-15-2017, 07:43 AM
What character deaths in games got you right in the feels? Maybe it was your favourite character or maybe it was just totally unexpected.

If it's a reasonably recent game it's probably best to use spoiler tags.

Anybody who says Mario can leave immediately.

Fynn
07-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Vesemir. It's not that it was totally unexpected, as he is well established as a mentor character to both Geralt and Ciri and those usually don't fare well, but it's really the context that makes it such a big gut punch. Years ago, as far back as in the books, he's been established as the longest living Witcher still alive and serves as a very kind and wise friend and father-figure that brings a lot of warmth to the series. He's also pretty much one of the last links to the past when the Witchers were still relevant. Now, he's only one of the last four surviving Witchers of the Wolf school and as such the last thing really keeping the tradition alive by taking care of the Wolf school keep of Kaer Morhen.

Once he dies in the game and Kaer Morhen is left damaged, none of the other characters can be met there any longer. The music in Kaer Morhen hasn't changed and everything around is as it was during your first visit. But while going there the first time fills you with nostalgia at the prospect of meeting old friend again, this time you come back and it's completely empty. It wasn't just Vesemir that died that day - it was some part of your character's identity and memory that got irreversibly taken away. It marks an end of an era within the franchise's universe.

Pumpkin
07-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Tiara

Nani

Poro

Vivi

Galuf

Jun

Porom if you count that because I thought she was ded

Cherenkov

I may return with more

Darth Ganon
07-16-2017, 05:20 AM
20+ years is safe I assume, so here I go:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

EVERYBODY. You can argue that they didn't truly exist in the first place, but it still hurt seeing everyone disappear.

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals

Maxim and Selan. For everybody that played the first game first, this came as no surprise. However for me this was crushing.

Final Fantasy VII

Mario.

Final Fantasy X

Auron's sendoff with his theme playing, but then that damn music on the Fahrenheit as Tidus fades away. Jeez.

Final Fantasy XV

Noctis. Say what you will about the game as a whole, but that ending was 100% made of manly tears. It also seems to be the one consistently agreed upon good part of the game. Although it was more so the group of bros. losing a member rather than his actual death.

KleinerKiller
07-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Just a random selection of ones that quickly came to mind, since I've been affected by so many.

MGS3

Fighting and executing The Boss.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

The execution of Peko, and Fuyuhiko's near-fatal wounding in his attempt to stop it.

SOMA

The many deaths of Simon Jarrett; first listening to him die of brain swelling in 2015, then mercy-killing his first brain scan, and finally watching his second scan condemned to die alone at the bottom of the sea.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Emil walking to his execution while his last letter to his daughter is read in the background.

NieR: Automata (SEVERE SPOILER)

2B! The main character of the game getting traumatized, shot down, infected with an agonizing logic virus, and finally mercy-killed with a smile to her truest friend. Damn you, Yoko Taro.

Yubel-Lover
07-16-2017, 09:56 AM
FFXIII-2
Yeul's death during Noel flashbak in the Dying World.

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Crono and the Boss are probably the only two that ever caught me off guard. Grey Fox is another one from MGS.

Edge7
07-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Nier Automata
2B hit me hard, but 9S in the D ending SMURFED ME UP. There was something particularly impactful about having the choice to make peace with Adam and Eve as he laid dying

Final Fantasy VI
Cid's death on it's own wasn't much, but the effect it had on Celes choked me up. I also still feel bad for Cyan's wife and kid.

Shadow of the Colossus
So, Aggro's death was a fakeout, but when I realized the closest thing I had to a friend in the otherwise desolate wasteland was gone, and Malus was nearly unapproachable, it made me think about how much I missed him.

Scruffington
07-16-2017, 10:36 PM
People posting spoilers without putting the game they're from...riskiest clicks of my life.

Final Fantasy X
The ending and Tidus' fate. I started the game in November 2009 and never got to see the ending until last year, nearly 7 years later. Tidus basically ceasing to exist is really, really sad.

Karifean
07-17-2017, 02:57 AM
Umineko has by far the most impactful ones for me
Beato (in the Episode 4 Tea Party, and also in the Epiosde 5 Hidden Tea Party) and Erika (Episode 6 ending)

CLANNAD universe
Ushio, of course, and also Tomoya

Little Busters!
Haruka in her bad end

The Devil on G-string
Maou

Rose Guns Days
Yuuji ;_;

Agreed on all the Final Fantasy ones as well.

Bubba
07-17-2017, 08:34 AM
I apologise for all the risky spoiler-tag temptations.

I admit this was a terrible choice of topic. I've read about 20% of this thread's comments.

Yubel-Lover
07-17-2017, 10:26 AM
People posting spoilers without putting the game they're from...riskiest clicks of my life.

Sorry, fixed.

krissy
07-17-2017, 02:06 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/SIedWFr8hLInt8w9sFPIEVvgur0=/76x0:940x576/1200x800/filters:focal(76x0:940x576)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/17531645/capture.0.jpg

Slothy
07-17-2017, 02:41 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/SIedWFr8hLInt8w9sFPIEVvgur0=/76x0:940x576/1200x800/filters:focal(76x0:940x576)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/17531645/capture.0.jpg

Too soon. :cry:

Night Fury
07-19-2017, 02:50 AM
Thane dying just has me urrrghhhhhhhhhhh! :( because you can't save him!

Skyblade
07-19-2017, 05:19 AM
Guardians. Whether it's when you kill your first Guardian, and you get this sense of elation and satisfaction, tinged with terror at knowing just how many more are out there. When you roll into Hyrule Castle, bristling with weapons and mowing down dozens. Or when you restart the game and wipe them all out from the beginning armed with just your trusty Pot Lid. Killing Guardians gives so many feels. Different feels, but all satisfying.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-19-2017, 07:15 PM
That time King K. Rool killed all of Donkey Kong's bananas. :(

WarZidane
07-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Some excellent ones already mentioned in the thread. Some that haven't been mentioned:

You probably saw the title and went "really, one of the worst KH games?", but Xion's death was pretty damn sad. She sacrifices herself, letting herself be killed by the closest friend she has (arguably potential romantic interest), after which all memory of her is erased.

An impressive feat for an MMORPG to be on a list like this if you ask me. The victim in this case: Haurchefant, who was there for you and your two remaining friends at your lowest point. Dies blocking an attack aimed at you.

Crow. In the first game, he becomes part of your class and your friend. At the end, it's revealed he's a rebel who wants to kill the chancellor (who quite frankly deserves it) and betrays you, killing aforementioned chancellor. He remains your friend though, and although he's on the opposing side in the second game, he continues to go easy on you and giving you hints to grow stronger. In the end you team up with him to stop an apocalyptic robot, but he dies doing so. Bonus points: right after that, the chancellor appears, revealing he's actually still alive. At this point even the protagonist goes "Why'd HE have to die and you're still alive?"

Maybe I'll think of more at some point later :p

Slothy
07-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Every colossus in Shadow of the Colossus. Except the 14th. Fuck that guy.

Darth Ganon
07-22-2017, 04:44 AM
You probably saw the title and went "really, one of the worst KH games?", but Xion's death was pretty damn sad. She sacrifices herself, letting herself be killed by the closest friend she has (arguably potential romantic interest), after which all memory of her is erased.

Worst KH to play for sure, but one of the best stories. The HD collection had the right idea: A version of Days you don't have to play.

Every colossus in Shadow of the Colossus. Except the 14th. smurf that guy.

I never could clear the time attack for that one. Years later I realized I'd probably have to do some speed runner stunts to pull it off.

Edge7
07-22-2017, 04:58 AM
Guardians. Whether it's when you kill your first Guardian, and you get this sense of elation and satisfaction, tinged with terror at knowing just how many more are out there. When you roll into Hyrule Castle, bristling with weapons and mowing down dozens. Or when you restart the game and wipe them all out from the beginning armed with just your trusty Pot Lid. Killing Guardians gives so many feels. Different feels, but all satisfying.
^THAT'S A GOOD ONE TOO