PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket is hiding 3rd party hosting behind a $400 pay wall

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-18-2017, 04:48 AM
So if you've been taking a look around here, you may have noticed that some member signatures and threads have expired images in them.

Photobucket has decided to reserve 3rd party image hosting to people who wouldn't mind paying the small fee of $400 a year.

Here's the link describing the various subscription levels:

http://photobucket.com/pricing

RIP to all the old threads full of pictures that will now have pieces missing from them.

:save: Let the candlelight vigil commence :save:

Darth Ganon
07-18-2017, 06:40 AM
Guess it's a good thing I hopped over to imgur a couple years ago.

Fynn
07-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Hm. All my pics are still intact

The site you linked says. Othing about that - there's just paid options for more storage. Unless I'm not seeing it because I'm on mobile

Psychotic
07-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Yeah, they fucked me over pretty hard and have removed all of my images. I can still access them but I can't hotlink them anywhere.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Hm. All my pics are still intact

The site you linked says. Othing about that - there's just paid options for more storage. Unless I'm not seeing it because I'm on mobile

Might just be a mobile problem. Full site shows a list of features above the storage capacities.

Sephex
07-18-2017, 05:31 PM
It's partially a problem for me. Most images I used photobucket with are from very old stuff. Anything worth sharing again I reuploaded to imgur and have been using that for awhile.

But anyway, $400? Yeah, someone up top is tanking that company on purpose.

Psychotic
07-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Fynn's sig is photobucket and that's still in tact. You got lucky Fynn! If I were you I'd remove the sig just so they don't flag you up. As I've said in my RPG's thread, I'm fairly convinced me using so much bandwidth for that thread is what led to them flipping the switch on me.

Fynn
07-18-2017, 05:44 PM
My entire art thread is also intact, which is weird

Fynn
07-18-2017, 05:49 PM
I can also embed new links and the site makes no mention of me needing to be a subscriber or anything. What gives?

Freya
07-18-2017, 09:23 PM
Maybe it's region roll outs?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Maybe it's region roll outs?

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe it'll slowly make its way around. I personally lost my signature, as well as a few others. That's what tipped me off to look into it.

theundeadhero
07-19-2017, 03:12 AM
I just haven't been bothered to change my signature yet, but I'm done with the place. Uploading pictures there is a nightmare now, too.

Skyblade
07-19-2017, 04:53 AM
I just haven't been bothered to change my signature yet, but I'm done with the place. Uploading pictures there is a nightmare now, too.

I think your signature is a nice PSA, only missing the upgrade cost.

Calliope
07-20-2017, 05:28 AM
RIP, Photobucket. I reviewed my four (!) accounts today and rescued most of the photos, which was an interesting time capsule back to 2004. In a couple of months I'd love to get a portable harddrive so that I can manage my photos better than spreading them across three partially working laptops and a semi-working harddrive. Eventually I might even get a smartphone, too :P