PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Book Club!

Formalhaut
07-19-2017, 05:43 PM

Now when you think of 'Final Fantasy' and literature, you might be forgiven for thinking there hasn't been any books set in Final Fantasy worlds.

You would be horribly, horribly mistaken.

Final Fantasy's been making novelisations out of their games for awhile now. There's been comics, mangas, that have been pretty successful. But there's also been other media that Square Enix would probably you rather forget.

'Epic novelisation' indeed. And who can forget the FFX novella, or worse, the audio drama?

Thankfully though, there's a whole host of other books out there. And with that, I want to start an EoFF Book Group, right here!

http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies//icon2.gif The Book Group

I love reading books, but more than that I love talking about books, and literature, and characters and the stories we fill out heads with. I work in libraries, so maybe I'm a little biased, but books are fantastic, and talking about books with friends is even better.

I haven't worked out every fine detail yet. But this what I've got so far:

The book group will discuss the current book at the end of each month, on the discussion thread for that month's book.

The book choice will rotate between members every month for fairness. The 'host' can choose any book they like, but it has to be accessible for everyone to grab a copy from their local library; no-one should have to spend money.
I also like the idea of having a 'theme' month depending on the time of year. Themes I'm thinking of including LGBT fiction for Pride Month, horror for Halloween, maybe a romance for Valentine's, etc.
Books can vary wildly, so you may find yourself reading something out of your comfort zone. Do try and give each book a chance, and I encourage everyone to try out new authors or genres they wouldn't normally!
Finishing a book is obviously recommended, but if you really just can't get on with a book, it's fine not to finish it. In fact, it might even make for lively discussion.
Participation is optional. If you find you just can't do a month because of personal reasons or workload, that's fine! On the flipside, it's very easy to just join up with us next month!

More concrete details can be worked out once I know who's eager for this, and we can hammer out a nice-looking plan together. This is the first time I've ever wanted to join a book group, so I'm incredibly excited! I hope people are interested! :ohdear:

List of utter nerds:

- Formalhaut
- Freya
- Shauna
- WarZidane
- Jinx
- Mr. Carnelian
- Bubba
- Karifean
- Bri

Freya
07-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Oh heckin' yeah! I'm up for this!

If anyone is on goodreads too, befriend me! (https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4642907-kaycee)

Jinx
07-19-2017, 06:22 PM
lol

Shauna
07-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Ah, the old EoFF Book Club. I see you're back again!

Freya
07-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Are you guys going to join? Usually it fails cause people express interest but then don't actually join. :(

Shauna
07-19-2017, 07:32 PM
It does well for a book or two and then is forgotten usually. xD

I'm down depending on time etc.

Jinx
07-19-2017, 09:54 PM
I mean, I am down as well (as long as I get to pick the first book, as I have a good one in mind).

My 'lol' was basically because what Shauna said. xD

Formalhaut
07-19-2017, 11:08 PM
Yay! Interest.

I've been told by Freya (and now you guys) that there's been attempts in the past, so I understand this might not last forever. Still though, I'm willing to give this a shot, and it'll be my first book club.

As for the order of who goes, I'm happy to go last. If you've got a book already in mind Jinx, then I'm more than happy to let you go first.

Oh, and I'll add a sign-ups list to the OP. I'll give it a few days then we can go ahead and start up August's book. I mean, we'll be starting early, but that's never a bad thing. More time to obtain the book and read it!

Bubba
07-19-2017, 11:48 PM
Please can I be part of the club?

I used to read far more than I currently do but this is due to a severe lack of time. I need to have a militaryesque schedule in order to achieve anything these days. I may be bringing up the rear compared to the rest of you but I am all aboard :)

Jinx
07-20-2017, 12:46 AM
My birthday is next month, so by the time this actually starts, it will be fitting! :D

I saw they're turning it into a movie, and it's a book I read ages ago and LOVED (it's very sad, though) called The Glass Castle. Autobiography written by a woman who had a vagabond childhood as her father was an alcoholic and her mother was (likely) mentally ill. It's incredible.

Freya
07-20-2017, 05:21 PM
OHHH I saw someone on my goodreads reading that a bit ago and was interested on what it was.

Bubba
07-20-2017, 05:51 PM
So The Glass Castle is first up for us, is it?

Karifean
07-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Sounds like it'll be fun. If I have the time I would like to take part~

Bri
07-20-2017, 06:48 PM
I'm interested in this as well

Formalhaut
07-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Aw, thanks guys!

I'll make a new thread for The Glass Castle this weekend!