PDA

View Full Version : Love the game, hate the soundtrack...

Wolf Kanno
07-21-2017, 03:09 AM
What's a game you love that has a soundtrack you don't particularly care for. Maybe not hate, you can simply be indifferent to it as well.

Darth Ganon
07-21-2017, 05:01 AM
I don't LOVE the game, but FFX-2's soundtrack isn't thrilling at all. Aside from the title theme and 1000 Words I can barely recall any tracks from it. If I heard any I might not even recognize it for that matter.

Galuf
07-21-2017, 07:18 AM
Thats pretty hard. Music is very high on what makes a game enjoyable for me.
I wouldnt say i either love the game or hate the soundtrack. Games pretty good but most of the soundtrack is kinda forgettable for me and..... its chrono trigger.

Though the songs that are memorable are pretty great

Bubba
07-21-2017, 07:19 AM
The music when you change ends in Super Tennis on the SNES makes me cringe more than anything in gaming music history. Luckily, you are given the option to skip it. If you've put your pad down for a second though your day could be ruined.

It is still my favourite tennis game of all time though.

maybee
07-21-2017, 07:36 AM
FF X-2's soundtrack gives me a headache.

Yellow_Magic
07-22-2017, 08:11 AM
I...like FFX-2's soundtrack....

I played Tales of Berseria recently and while I enjoyed the game, the music wasn't memorable to me at all.

Edge7
07-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I thought FFX-2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=480Q_ukDmkw) was (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Peq83kSziy0) pretty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UISKRfzq67A) groovin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hotz5W5W6w8)'. In some ways, it's what I wanted the Persona 5 soundtrack to be (I say some, because that OST is still phenomenal).

This is a surprisingly tough question; I'll leave my defense of X-2 here and come back in a bit once I have an answer.

OKAY, so I LOVE Super Mario RPGs soundtrack, but that battle theme is SUPER repetitive and grating. Otherwise, I can't really think of any game I've loved where I thought the entire OST was meh.

EDIT NUMBER 2: Okay, not an RPG, but it still feels relevant. So I love Street Fighter Alpha 3, but literally every character theme sounds the same while I'm playing. It's better when I listen to them on their own, but I was never a fan.

LunarWeaver
07-26-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't hate the Tales of soundtracks, but they are not memorable. You get the occasional good one like Legendia or a few songs in Zestiria. Basically, when they branched out and used a new composer. Hmm, same with Diablo III. I couldn't hum a single song besides one they reused from the first game.

Sefie1999AD
07-26-2017, 11:17 PM
It's not an RPG, but Command & Conquer 3. The C&C series has had great music with Frank Klepacki, but C&C3 music was really forgettable and bland (composed by the guy who did the music for Transformers movies). Otherwise it's probably my favorite game in the series.

Jinx
07-27-2017, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I'll go with FFX-2, also. There are some real gems, but most of the soundtrack is underwhelming.

Overall, how much I like a soundtrack is tied to how much I like a game. Can't really have one without the other, to me.

krissy
07-28-2017, 03:47 PM
It's not an RPG, but Command & Conquer 3. The C&C series has had great music with Frank Klepacki, but C&C3 music was really forgettable and bland (composed by the guy who did the music for Transformers movies). Otherwise it's probably my favorite game in the series.

yeah klepacki made those games what they were

Fynn
07-28-2017, 04:08 PM
I... cant think of an example, honestly? Usually bad music in a game makes me REALLY not like the game itself (Xenosaga II), so mostly I enjoy the soundtracks to games I like

I guess the soundtracks to FFIII and VIII are what I'd consider meh. I can count the number of really good FFIII tracks on one hand while VIII is severely overrated and I have no idea how so many people can consider it the best one. Both still good, I guess, just not *great*

Laddy
08-01-2017, 07:16 AM
X-2 is a choice I agree with. A lot of the tracks are just overproduced or break immersion. Some of the works with horns and brass are fun, Memories of Lightwaves gives me chills, and 1000 Words is excellent, but the rest? Mehhhh

WarZidane
08-07-2017, 10:17 AM
No hate, but there are a few soundtracks I don't care about in RPGs I like/love. They'll have one or two great tracks but the rest will just be forgettable.

Diablo (any of them), pretty much any Compile Heart game (Neptunia, Fairy Fencer F)

Also, a special nod to Zelda: Breath of the Wild (I don't consider it an RPG but know many do so I figured I'd mention it) for having the worst generic combat music ever, which drags the OST down five notches.

Wolf Kanno
08-07-2017, 05:54 PM
I finally figured one out for me, because as some have mentioned, having a good soundtrack is kind of imperative to my enjoyment.

Fynn will disagree with me of course, but I have honestly never cared much for the Dragon Quest Soundtracks. Like a few core legacy themes are pretty catchy, but beyond that they all sound the same to me. Like the style is distinct enough I could probably make an educated guess that it was a from a DQ title, but I would be at a total loss to pick which entry.

Fynn
08-07-2017, 05:57 PM
I mean, I totally see it. It took a while for the DQ OSTs to grow on me since they're pretty traditionalist and neo-classical, almost to a fault. I learned to respect them later on because the composer is actually actively contributing to Japan's artistic music scene, so it's awesome a high profile composer decided to make video game music and I've really found stuff that I like about his music, despite its general approach no being my cup of tea.

Too bad the dude is an actual human trash can though :monster:

Laddy
08-08-2017, 07:02 AM
I'll agree on Dragon Quest. They're pleasant enough but there's a serious lack of tracks for games that can easily take 100 hours of game time. Not to mention most of them are recycled so they as a whole are designed to apply to as many situations as possible, increasinghow dull they are.

VI has interesting use of horns and brass so it's prob the best, III's is probably the most generic of the series.

Fynn
08-08-2017, 07:09 AM
I agree with VI being best since there is a very prevalent leitmotif present in pretty much all the tracks that really adds character to the whole thing, but I think IX and X are actually the weakest. I feel Sugiyama is maybe running out of steam after VIII.

Example
10-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Pretty much every Naughty Dog game. I didn't care much for Skies of Arcadia's soundtrack, though that game isn't exactly one of my favourites. I find TWEWY's soundtrack overrated, maybe I just have a low tolerance for unintelligible Engrishy Jpop.

Vyk
12-08-2017, 06:24 AM
Fallout...? I'm trying to think if there are examples in more than just 3 and 4, and I imagine there have to be, but I can't remember New Vegas having annoyingly bombastic old diddies, and I didn't play the originals far enough in to know what kind of music is strung through. But some of their choices in old music. While I like a certain style of old bluesy jazz rock, and I think those would really enhance the games and atmosphere, they are rarely what's chosen for those games. I can't say I actively hate the Sinatra style, but it's not something I want to actively choose to listen to either, especially when I'm getting my brains spilled out. I like the more solemn coffee shop / jazz club noir stuff. Which is sprinkled in there here and there. But mostly it's just a lot of out of place poppin' tunes that fit more with the flash-back / virtual reality segments that are actually more 50s than the rotting desolate bullet and blood ridden wastelands