charliepanayi
08-02-2017, 08:57 AM
You know what to do...

Bubba
08-02-2017, 09:14 AM
I'm ever the optimist pre-season...

Psychotic
08-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Voted Brighton. Next year will be our year. No Keita, no party.

Old Manus
08-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Football has finally gone off the deep end in the past week

Psychotic
08-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Football has finally gone off the deep end in the past weekWhoa now, hold that one back until Gylfi goes.

The Captain
08-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Neymar leaving Barca is the same as Kyrie leaving LeBron and the Cavs: a younger player who is tired of being in the shadow of an all-time great. However, in both cases, the grass won't be greener. They'll make their money sure but won't enjoy the same level of success where ever they go next.

Also, Liverpool must not sell Coutinho, no matter the price. Losing our best player with the season this close to starting would de-stabilize the club too much. Plus, does he really want to go to a team that no longer has his best friend there? Yes, it's Barcelona, but I thought part of the personal appeal to the move was playing alongside Neymar?

Who do you think Barca end up signing? I wouldn't be shocked if they throw almost all of the PSG money they get at Mbappe. As a like for like winger/striker, that move makes the most sense.

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Coutinho isn't leaving. I think he's happy to remain at LFC for another season or two, but he'd also be okay if we accepted a bid from Barca. Basically, he isn't going to pull a Suarez/Sterling to get a move. That's not to say there's not going to be more pressure from Barca, their players and their media lackeys, especially as they try to get a distraction from the Neymar humiliation. I would be surprised if he is not a Liverpool player on September 1st. But I'd also be surprised if he is one on September 1st 2019. Could go either way on 2018.

Old Manus
08-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Neymar's wages before tax: ‎€865,000
Neymar's wages after tax: ‎€865,000

Now the obvious joke is out of the way...football has gone mad

Psychotic
08-03-2017, 06:42 AM
I don't know what this says about me but I had a dream featuring the football thread. Apparently my subconscious was excited for its return.

I was on a beach and Gareth Bale had just signed for Man United. I was so desperate to share my thoughts on that with you lot that I wrote them in the sand and by dream logic that worked. My main thoughts were that he is a class above Lukaku and that United would now win the league. Except I wrote it in the powdery dry sand near the top of the beach so it was hard to get any definition on the letters, and I was getting very irritated.

I don't know. I honestly don't even fucking know.

Bubba
08-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Psy... I think we should close this thread to preserve any semblance of sanity you may have left.

The Captain
08-03-2017, 05:33 PM
What is the protocol for quoting sand writing for future thread use?

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Okay, here's a wild prediction for you:

1. Man City
2. Arsenal
3. Man Utd
4. Liverpool
5. Spurs
6. Chelsea

Best of the rest: West Ham. Yep. Not Everton.

I'm a maniac, lock me up.

Let's play it safe with relegation: Brighton, Newcastle (Rafa will be the first manager to go because of Mike Ashley, otherwise he'd keep them up) and Swansea. Was tempted to say Huddersfield and complete the set, but, you know, #justfootballthreadthings.

Loony BoB
08-07-2017, 07:36 PM
your poll isn't public and doesn't close like a week after the transfer window thus locking out those people who wait for halfway through the season before voting therefore it is not good enough let me SQL that for you

Crop
08-07-2017, 11:06 PM
1. Man City
2. Man Utd
3. Arsenal
4. Spurs
5. Liverpool
6. Chelsea

Everton having a chance at breaking the top 4? They won't even break the top 6.

The Captain
08-08-2017, 04:50 PM
The season is less than a week away but this years Premier league seems as murky as ever. So many players and teams remain in flux and there looks like anywhere from 5 to 6 viable candidates to take the trophy home. In a way, that's how it should be, with the season being less a one or two horse race.

As a Liverpool fan I remain a bit perplexed, as the team still requires more additions and must keep its best player at all costs for this campaign. They've looked extremely deadly in pre-season with plenty of pace, but that defense still needs help.

Spurs are a real mystery to me though. When a team has finished Top 3 in back to back years and now seems like it wants to rest on their laurels a bit... that doesn't seem like a strategy for finally winning the league.

City have been spending all kinds of money but I still wonder if they are a collection of expensive pieces versus a team. Utd seem like they still need to make a few moves, Chelsea I think are going to rue not using Costa and Arsenal are gonna Arsenal, play well, dip in form and then fight through to the end to get a Top 4 spot. Everton and West Ham meanwhile seem like they want to break into the higher tier and it remains to be seen what will happen.

My only predictions this year? I think a NON Top 6 team breaks into the Top 6 this season. Some top manager will be looking for a new job come end of season, or even sooner if they start slowly. There are too many great coaches and not enough trophies or Champions League spots to go around.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
08-08-2017, 09:10 PM
1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Man Utd
4. Spurs
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool

Like shooting fish in a barrel. A couple of incredibly tiny fish in a massive barrel, with an airgun from about 50 feet and with no previous experience in shooting a gun. That's my quality level of prediction.

EDIT: Meanwhile, Real Madrid 2 - 1 Manchester United in the UEFA Community Shield. Still hoping we can manage something out of this, by all accounts (ie, by the BBC live feed) we're getting blitzed.

Formalhaut
08-08-2017, 09:13 PM
I'll go for Manchester City but that is not an informed opinion. It's probably between Chelsea and Manchester City, but pre-season guessing is a crapshoot in my opinion.

Psychotic
08-08-2017, 09:38 PM
It's probably between Chelsea and Manchester City, but pre-season guessing is a crapshoot in my opinion.Is it, though? Because there's twenty teams in this league and in your crapshoot you just so happened to chance upon the two richest ones. If it's a crapshoot, why can't it be Stoke or Watford? Sir, you attempt to deceive us!

The Captain
08-09-2017, 01:11 AM
So maybe some of you guys can help me out. From everything I've read, the Spanish media creates stories to put Barca and Real Madrid in the best light, essentially creating its own hype machine? From every source I can find, Liverpool have no deal with Barca for Coutinho but every Spanish and La Liga source says he's already signed with them. What gives? Is this the European equivalent to "Fake News?".

Take care all.

Formalhaut
08-09-2017, 01:56 AM
It's probably between Chelsea and Manchester City, but pre-season guessing is a crapshoot in my opinion.Is it, though? Because there's twenty teams in this league and in your crapshoot you just so happened to chance upon the two richest ones. If it's a crapshoot, why can't it be Stoke or Watford? Sir, you attempt to deceive us!

Well, I mean, there's always a chance a team would do a Leicester and win.

But I think out of the 'regular' top six or so teams, I'll go for Chelsea and Manchester City. Didn't actually know they were the top two richest teams, but I guess that makes sense!

Psychotic
08-09-2017, 08:15 AM
So maybe some of you guys can help me out. From everything I've read, the Spanish media creates stories to put Barca and Real Madrid in the best light, essentially creating its own hype machine? From every source I can find, Liverpool have no deal with Barca for Coutinho but every Spanish and La Liga source says he's already signed with them. What gives? Is this the European equivalent to "Fake News?".

Take care all.For Liverpool, the only accurate journalists are James Pearce, Melissa Reddy and Paul Joyce. They've all said he's not going.

The only official thing that has happened is that Barca submitted a £72m bid a couple of weeks ago which was rejected. Since then, not a peep. With how modern football works, a club would not submit a bid unless it had sounded a player (his agents really) out about a move, so Coutinho would obviously be happy with a move to Barca - and I mean even the most dyed-in-the-wool Liverpool fan could see that it's a bigger and better club. With that said, by all accounts from those journalists he's also still happy at Liverpool and doesn't want to do a Sterling or a Van Dijk. If Liverpool get an acceptable offer, adios, if not, he'll stay.

I think two key factors are that his best and childhood friend Neymar was still at Barca two weeks ago when the bid was made but isn't anymore, and also with the World Cup coming up he needs to be playing regular football this season - will he be doing that at Barca? Regardless, I still think he wants to move but isn't "all in", I guess.

As far as the Catalan press is going, it's all been utter lies and bollocks. He's supposedly being on the brink of signing for two weeks. He was supposed to have been unveiled yesterday. A "Delegation" has been coming to Liverpool every day it seems... never mind that LFC's offices are actually in, whisper it, London!

Make no mistake, losing Neymar was a major humiliation for Barcelona and its president, Bartomeu. Some speculate the press are doing this to further undermine him to get him out - if this GUARANTEED 100% DONE move for Coutinho falls flat, it's a further stick to beat him with.

With that said, the Brazilian press has now also taken up the cause so I have no idea wtf because there isn't the Barca agenda there, and that has me slightly nervous. I can't see Liverpool selling this late in the window, and £72m by this transfer window's prices for Coutinho is a joke. That might've flown two years ago, but post-Pogba and post-Neymar? Especially when the club bidding for him has those Neymar funds in their pocket? Not a chance. With that said, with the right offer - one that makes him the second most expensive player on the planet - and it'll happen. Some rumblings from West Ham journalists that we've made tentative Lanzini enquiries also makes me nervous, but again he'll cost what, £40m? £50m? Football in 2017!

The Captain
08-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I figured it was just Spanish hyped up media trying to make trouble or help Barca. If Liverpool lost Coutinho literally days before the season starts, then what's their plan of being competitive at all? If he does want to go, then in much the same way as Suarez, plan for it for the next season. See how this year plays out, maybe win something big with him in the fold and if he still wants to go, let him leave early next summer with enough time to bring in a replacement for him.

Some have been saying "but they may never get the same amount for him again!" which I find silly since transfer prices only go UP. Next year teams aren't going to suddenly spend less money on players.

There's still so much that can go down with transfers that these predictions might be moot, but here goes:

Spurs (Surely they'll sign someone this window, right? I think they have the best Starting XI at least)
Man City
Chelsea
Liverpool
Man Utd
West Ham
Arsenal
Everton
Leicester
Crystal Palace
Bournemouth
Swansea
West Brom
Newcastle
Southampton
Burnley
Huddersfield
Stoke
Watford
Brighton

Take care all.

Loony BoB
08-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Spurs winning: How much of an achievement would that be? Where on the scale of Leicester to Manchester City would you put that?

Psychotic
08-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Spurs winning: How much of an achievement would that be? Where on the scale of Leicester to Manchester City would you put that?Somewhere about half way. I can't see it happening though, they have a paper thin squad and traditionally have done very poorly in games at Wembley (as per European ties). They're media darlings, but I think a non top 4 finish is more likely than a title win.

Psychotic
08-09-2017, 09:41 PM
With that said, with the right offer - one that makes him the second most expensive player on the planet - and it'll happen. Or not. Barca have finally made a second bid of £90m and got turned down. Although I did expect them to bid a lot more than just £1m more than Pogba when I wrote that. Coutinho is good, but he's not second-most-expensive-player-of-all-time good. Neither is Pogba though, and that's not intended as a troll.

Suspect they'll do one final bid and that might be accepted.

Formalhaut
08-09-2017, 10:49 PM
The Captain did a full league placement prediction so I might as well give my faildiction:

Manchester City
Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspurs
Liverpool
Manchester United
Arsenal
West Ham
Everton
Crystal Palace
Leicester

Bournemouth
Swansea
Southampton
West Brom
Burnley
Newcastle
Stoke
Huddersfield
Brighton
Watford

Feel free to rip that to shreds. I feel as if Stoke will just about manage to cling on. 4th-5th-6th is a toss up between those teams, and West Ham could very well do better than I put them down as.

The Captain
08-10-2017, 05:10 PM
The way I see it, some of Spurs top players will be good as gone next year if they don't finally break through. Finishing Top 3 back to back years is a good achievement in and of itself, especially if they're not spending like the big boys (or at all apparently). I also am a big believer in group chemistry. Unless you have a legendary player like a Messi or a Ronaldo, teams that constantly shuffle the pack sometimes struggle to gel. Most of these Spurs players will have played together for years now and that sort of chemistry is important. However, if they don't strengthen the squad, they may have to choose between going all out in Europe or England.

It's also why I'm skeptical of Man City running away with anything. Sure, they've signed a lot of players and filled in some holes but will they gel? That said, I think Gab Jesus is going to be a beast this year for them.

As for transfer prices, as a longtime fan of the NBA, let me say this: Don't get hung up on the numbers anymore. The actual player value no longer reflects the price. With so much money being available worldwide, everyone's price is going way up. A player who probably is worth $30 million will now be $60 million, etc, etc.

Liverpool knocking back Barca says two important things to me: Klopp has command of the team and they aren't in financial straits that require cashing in. That said, I think we probably have just this one year left with Coutinho, so we'd better make it count.

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-10-2017, 05:14 PM
For me it's not the numbers themselves but the numbers relative to the other numbers!

Psychotic
08-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Disregard everything I said about Coutinho to Barca, I have no idea what the hell is happening anymore. I think it'll happen now.

So is old Luis still the saint and saviour of all things Mersey?No, we've moved onto Coutinho who of course, will never ever leave us because he truly loves the club and fans and the colour red.I said this in 2013 knowing full well it would all end in Barca. It always does.

Oh well, let's go bully Southampton so we can feel good about ourselves and they in turn can go bully Celtic. The Circle of Football Life.

Loony BoB
08-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Handing in a transfer request with four and a half years left on your contract, just six months after you signed it? Honestly I don't think Coutinho is in much of a position to make requests. I get that he can but Liverpool have every right to say "no, we can still get £90m for you in a year and a half down the line". Liverpool hold all the cards in this matter in my opinion.

The Captain
08-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Handing in a transfer request with four and a half years left on your contract, just six months after you signed it? Honestly I don't think Coutinho is in much of a position to make requests. I get that he can but Liverpool have every right to say "no, we can still get £90m for you in a year and a half down the line". Liverpool hold all the cards in this matter in my opinion.

Agreed. Tell him to honor is contract for AT least the year and then we'll figure it out next season when we can plan ahead.

Also, how is what Barca did any different to Liverpool and Southampton? Could we accuse them in turn of "tapping up" on a player? Lord knows it sounds like everyone at Barca has been talking to him.

Take care all.

Crop
08-12-2017, 12:36 PM
What a game that was last night. I'd even go as far as to say it was the best game of the season so far.

Psychotic
08-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Doot de doot de doo, CTRL+C, CTRL+V
Oh good I've missed having 5 minutes of our Champions League quality attack eviscerate an opponent before 40 minutes of praying our Championship quality defence don't smurf it all up.

Loony BoB
08-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Well, on the bright side, it could have been a much worse start to your season.

*glances at Chelsea*

Psychotic
08-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Looks like I had the right idea when I predicted Arsenal to do well and Chelsea not to get top 4!

Bubba
08-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Man Utd to win 4-0 today and not relinquish top spot for the rest of the season :cool:

Not seen Match of the Day yet but thouroughly looking forward to goals galore when I do. Cracking start to the season so far... especially when we win 4-0.

Chuffed for Rooney as well getting the winner for the Toffees.

Old Manus
08-13-2017, 11:32 AM
I just realised we never did the end of season quote awards for last season. I've been too busy! An extra special one is in the pipeline.

Psychotic
08-13-2017, 12:36 PM
I just realised we never did the end of season quote awards for last season. I've been too busy! An extra special one is in the pipeline.I just had a quick flick through to see if I'd dropped any clangers.
You still love Lingard? I would've thought the disaster of a game he had at Man City has proven he's way out of his depth at this level. Sorry Daniel but he'll be at somewhere like West Ham or Sunderland by this time next year, quote this post with mockery if I'm wrong!OH NOOOOOO

He's still trout and not good enough for a team chasing top four. :colbert: I'm doubling down on this one. Another 12 months and he's at West Ham or Everton. I had to change from Sunderland to the other two-bit joke club that Man United offload all their troute players to after David "The Chosen One" Moyes somehow managed to get them relegated.

Psychotic
08-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Man Utd to win 4-0 today and not relinquish top spot for the rest of the season :cool:

Not seen Match of the Day yet but thouroughly looking forward to goals galore when I do. Cracking start to the season so far... especially when we win 4-0. what the fuck

burn the witch

Bubba
08-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Thing is as well... we've got the early kick-off next Sat so not losing top spot is a possibility :lol:

It was a great start. Lukaku and Matic were immense. Pogba was ridiculous too. Rashford could be the perfect foil for the big man. Also, it's a pretty intimidating bench as well. I'm not getting too excited after one game but it's all very promising.

Fun fact: Lukaku and Matic auto-corrected to Likeability and Magic :D

Loony BoB
08-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Nah mate, Lingard is still golden. Love the guy. Scores in big matches to boot. Whether he has peaked or not (would be weird to peak so early), he's already done a huge amount for United the last two seasons.

Today's game was awesome to watch, especially the guys in the middle who did fantastic. Lukaku did good with his chances (could have scored more, but you can say that about any striker really), but it was Matic, Rashford, Mata and Pogba that did the bulk of the work, and Blind wasn't bad either when he ran up field.

Hopefully it's not just a one-off due to early season tiredness on West Ham's part or anything like that. I'm quietly optimistic.

The Captain
08-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Until Liverpool can truly sort out their defense, they will continue to thrill and frustrate week in and week out. The attack looks really strong, especially with a weakened midfield andI do expect us to push through into the Champion's League group stage but we'll be hard pressed to go further unless we can shut the door after taking leads. Klopp and company have roughly 2 weeks to sort this out, here's hoping they do.

Bigger question I pose to all us football fans: at what point will any idea of actual financial fair play come into effect? Will we eventually live in a world that if your team isn't bankrolled by a government entity or billionaire, you'll just have to settle for trying for a Champion's League spot, not even sniffing top of the league. I realize that's essentially how it exists in most of the top leagues already, but I feel like the money issue is reaching a critical mass and want to see if anyone has any creative solutions? One idea, that works in most American sports is to put in a salary cap, meaning a team can't just spend and spend into oblivion and might actually allow top players to stay rather than all being accumulated in one squad.

Another option is to do away with these 4 and 5 year contracts since they are meaningless beyond the paper itself. Perhaps, everyone can sign either 1 or 2 year deals and if you sign a 2 year deal, you aren't eligible to tear up the deal when another team comes calling but must see the deal out? Granted, it would lead to transfer chaos every year, but at least it would be more honest.

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-15-2017, 10:17 PM
If Marcus Rashford had scored that there would be a 10 day jizzfest in the media and punditocracy about the saviour of English football.

That notwithstanding, Trent Alexander-Arnold is as good as his name is long. If England weren't stacked at RB I'd make him a dark horse for the World Cup squad, but if Walker and/or Trippier get injured then you never know. I think he'll push Clyne out of the Liverpool team this year at any rate.

Loony BoB
08-16-2017, 12:56 AM
tbf if it wasn't a qualifier I imagine that the media would just as quickly go nuts over a Liverpool player as a United player.

Psychotic
08-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Memphis Depay was hailed as the new Cristiano Ronaldo (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11810278/Manchester-United-3-Club-Brugge-1-match-report-Memphis-Depays-two-great-goals-make-him-instant-hero.html)after a qualifier against Brugge a couple of years ago as I recall :p

Mind you, we'll probably see people saying TAA = Gerrard 2.0. (because he is scouse, you see.) Doesn't matter that they don't play in the same position...

Loony BoB
08-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Yeah, but Depay was already a rather well known name on a global level before he arrived here, having top-scored in the Eredivisie (or whatever it's called), and he popped in two goals on debut. If you're talking new players from the academy at the point of their debut, things will probably be pretty similar between TAA and others from United. Rashford scored on all his relevant debuts if I recall correctly, so it made sense that there was a lot of hype around him at that point, especially scoring twice against Arsenal. But yeah, I'm sure TAA will get his hype for sure. Just looking around on Google News and he certainly is happy to do the hyping on his own. :D Lots of confidence, always a good thing (for him).

Psychotic
08-16-2017, 10:40 AM
I'll tell you one thing about him, and I'm going to finally sound like an old man after years of shrugging my shoulders and not caring about snoods and brightly coloured boots, but he really needs to sort his shirt number out. 66? That's just offensive. Anything above 40 is to me gosh darnit.

Loony BoB
08-16-2017, 10:49 AM
Is there some reasoning behind it?

Psychotic
08-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Not particularly, most of our youth team players have numbers in the 50's and 60's, including three Wales internationals randomly enough. I'm just a grumpy old man who doesn't like it!

Loony BoB
08-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Huh, strange! At United they get 30s and 40s normally, basically whatever the lowest number that isn't "first 29" that isn't already taken.

Bubba
08-16-2017, 05:40 PM
They do it in baseball quite a bit. 99 is quite popular. Generally though, the rule of thumb is if your two numbers add up to more than ten... you aren't very good. Hence numbers like 32, 23 are worn by the star players.

Baseball has that stupid thing though where they retire numbers for legendary players. The Yankees have no single numbers left as they've all been retired :lol:

Rocket Edge
08-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Let my first post in the football thread begin with 4 words directed at Antonio Conte - Thank you for Matic. I had absolutely no idea he could actually play football! Will Kante be found out this season without him?

Late to the predictions malarkey too.

1. Man City
2. Man United
3. Arsenal
4. Spurs

5. Liverpool
6. Chelsea

This is extremely hard to predict but I think City are big favourites.

Psychotic
08-19-2017, 02:19 PM
All aboard the HMS Knee Jerk! Ring the bell, it's all over. Man United's billions + Mourinho's Second Season Power = Invincibles 2.0.

The Captain
08-19-2017, 05:25 PM
All aboard the HMS Knee Jerk! Ring the bell, it's all over. Man United's billions + Mourinho's Second Season Power = Invincibles 2.0.

Andy Robertson is the new Roberto Carlos!

Bubba
08-19-2017, 11:27 PM
It looks great on paper but the game was much closer than the score line suggests. Swansea we're still well in the game going into the last 15 mins. They just had a five-minute implosion.

See Arsenal played well... but can they do it on a rainy night in... oh wait

The Captain
08-21-2017, 06:02 AM
Would seem the Wembley curse remains a real thing. Glad my predictions weren't for money.

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Appalling stuff from Leicester fans, really really embarrassing for the city.

Bubba
08-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Appalling stuff from Leicester fans, really really embarrassing for the city.

Yeah, I was hoping it was just a few bad eggs that you can get at any club. The fact that there were so many joining in though is smurfing awful.

Psychotic
08-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Glad Liverpool ignored Barca's bulltrout and their "deadline", it's obvious they were just posturing. Of their £120m offer, nearly £40m of it was add ons for ridiculous things - Coutinho has to win the Ballon D'Or, Barca have to win multiple CL titles, and Coutinho has to win the Ballon D'Or in the same season Barca win the CL. I mean, really? Really? I still don't begrudge Coutinho himself for wanting to go there because it's obviously a step up but bloody hell.

The Captain
08-22-2017, 02:57 AM
Glad Liverpool ignored Barca's bulltrout and their "deadline", it's obvious they were just posturing. Of their £120m offer, nearly £40m of it was add ons for ridiculous things - Coutinho has to win the Ballon D'Or, Barca have to win multiple CL titles, and Coutinho has to win the Ballon D'Or in the same season Barca win the CL. I mean, really? Really? I still don't begrudge Coutinho himself for wanting to go there because it's obviously a step up but bloody hell.

When I read about all the add-ons that the contract was going to be composed of, I couldn't believe it. Did Barcelona really think they could get away with that? I kind of hope they don't sign any of their major targets this year, though seems like they may get Dembele still.

On the Liverpool side, can we SIGN A CENTERBACK PLEASE!

Take care all.

Old Manus
08-22-2017, 09:32 AM
I predicted (though not on here) that the Siggy money would be spent on a pretty average unproven midfielder for about £15M, with the rest spent on several bits and pieces players are 3-5M each who will spend most of the season either on the bench or injured.

Welcome to Swansea Sam Clucas!

Psychotic
08-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Oh good I've missed having 5 minutes of our Champions League quality attack eviscerate an opponent before 40 minutes of praying our Championship quality defence don't smurf it all up.And again.

I know in the Prem world people haven't heard of Hoffenheim and thus think they're shit, but they came 4th in Germany so they're obviously better than most of the dross in the Prem. They still couldn't do a fucking thing about our attack, absolutely shredded them six ways from Sunday. The defence still shat the bed of course and always finds a way to add tension to what should be a straightforward progression. We're going to be knackered for Arsenal though, which sucks.

The Captain
08-24-2017, 02:33 AM
Oh good I've missed having 5 minutes of our Champions League quality attack eviscerate an opponent before 40 minutes of praying our Championship quality defence don't smurf it all up.And again.

I know in the Prem world people haven't heard of Hoffenheim and thus think they're trout, but they came 4th in Germany so they're obviously better than most of the dross in the Prem. They still couldn't do a smurfing thing about our attack, absolutely shredded them six ways from Sunday. The defence still shat the bed of course and always finds a way to add tension to what should be a straightforward progression. We're going to be knackered for Arsenal though, which sucks.

We'll see if making it to the group stages allows us to finally pull the trigger on some more signings.

I think our priorities remaining in this window are:

1. Sign a CB
2. Sign Can to a long-term deal
3. Keep Coutinho or let him leave for ALL of Barcelona's PSG funds. Or just take Messi in return.
4. Sign another CB
5. Sign another winger

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-27-2017, 05:53 PM
See, Man United? You're not the only ones who can thump the Premier League's lesser teams 4-0. :p

The Captain
08-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Am so excited that we secured Keita, even if it's for next season. If we can somehow secure VVD and Lemar, I will be extremely satisfied.

Also, this strange, strange announcement from Roma has been making the rounds and thought I'd share it. Is it the most creative player announcement ever?

https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/902546975681388544

Take care all.

Bubba
08-29-2017, 06:24 PM
I'd just like to point out that I am the only person who predicted Utd would win the league and would you look at that... it's practically over barre the shouting.

Psychotic
08-29-2017, 06:26 PM
I'd just like to point out that I am the only person who predicted Utd would win the league and would you look at that... it's practically over barre the shouting.Don't discount Brighton and Hove Albion yet you curr.

Crop
08-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Best bit of business Arsenal will do all summer.

Psychotic
08-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Swansea City are an actual disgrace.

https://twitter.com/SwansOfficial/status/903281468507598848

Thank god the Premier League intervened.

Bubba
08-31-2017, 07:13 PM
This proves that Swansea City are actual scum.

Old Manus
09-01-2017, 09:43 AM
:ezpimp:

The Wilf of Wind St is back. He will be an absolute carthorse and nothing like before but any man who scores against Cardiff away has a special place in my heart.

Also Chelsea straining to sign Danny The Most Average Drinkwater for £30M while we pick up Renato Sanches instead. Super Paul Clement.

A lot of noise is being made about losing Llorente, but to be honest with you, he's not that good. He had a good haul last season, but he's a poacher and just very good at winning headers. The rest of the team (apart from Gylfi ;_; ) being absolute troute also reflected well on him. He'll be 33 by the end of this season, so I just don't think he will be as effective. I think £15M is a fair deal. Shame we didn't get Chadli.

Old Manus
09-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Also Pray 4 Arsenal

Psychotic
09-01-2017, 09:56 AM
On that note, the aforementioned Wilf of Wind Street was given number #2 despite #9 being available. Your football club is an abomination and should be purged from the face of the Earth.

Old Manus
09-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Apparently he wanted the #2 because it was his second time at the club. What an age we live in.

Psychotic
09-01-2017, 10:27 AM
It's also how many goals he's going to score.

...both against Liverpool.

Loony BoB
09-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Kinda wish I didn't vote Chelsea so long before the transfer window closed. :shobon: Oh well.

The Captain
09-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Not bringing in a CB is the downfall of what otherwise has been a very satisfying transfer window. I think Ox can be good cover for a lot of positions but don't see him in the starting XI if everyone is full strength. Genuinely surprised that we now suddenly have depth on the fullback ranks with both TAA and Gomez looking really lively and Clyne still waiting to get back healthy. Moreno is... eh. He's a good locker room presence at least. The midfield looks like a real logjam for competition, but that's a good thing too.

What needs to be done now is signing Can to a new contract and figuring out where Coutinho's head is at. If he can buckle down, I think we can make a real go of this season on several fronts. If not, well, we might be looking at a second disgruntled Brazilian in the Premier League.

Also, I have to admit, I am SHOCKED at how badly Barcelona did this window. In the understatement of the century, they better get Messi to sign that extension. How the mighty have fallen.

Take care all.

Psychotic
09-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Prediction: Old Manus will become a secret Liverpool fan due to the rise of Ben Woodburn.

Old Manus
09-06-2017, 11:39 AM
It's a bit late but here we are...not enough ridiculous predictions last time around, we must do better.

OFFICIAL EOFF QUOTES OF THE SEASON 2016-17 SPONSORED BY CARABAO AND SOUTH EAST ASIAN MONEY

£20M for Ayew would be OK if Huw Jenkins was going to actually spend it on somebody decent, but he won't and instead we will get a few continental squad players who nobody has heard of for one or two million each, a 33 year old backup striker who will quickly turn out to be absolute toilet and leave next summer, and the rest of the money will mysteriously disappear (probably somewhere in Maryland)

I would be surprised if Mourinho takes the Europa seriously.

Oh good I've missed having 5 minutes of our Champions League quality attack eviscerate an opponent before 40 minutes of praying our Championship quality defence* don't smurf it all up.

LEEEEEROY JENKINS!

Hey! Well done Leicester. Hopefully this will kick-start their stuttering start to the Premier League season.

Pfft! Mickey Mouse cup anyway.

Unless we win it, of course.

[Koeman's] in a different stratosphere to hacks like Martinez and Moyes. I'm not overly convinced of Everton's squad depth for them to sustain a challenge this season as one or two injuries will hit them hard. But Koeman could be building something there.

Time will tell I suppose and despite the crap week I still think United are dead certs to make the top four and will still challenge for the title.

I don't want us to become Galacticos.

Smurfing Joe Allen.

And can you imagine anything worse than being sent back to the West Midlands after having successfully escaped? I know I can't.

Scotland are so bad they make England look good.

Iago Aspas scored against England

These are truly dark times

It's bad. Lots of fans on Twitter saying we need to focus on the Europa League in order to get Champions League football next year.

I thought it was funny to hear the likes of G Nev say Chelsea 'can do anything'. I've been more impressed with the likes of Arsenal & Liverpool this season to be honest.

It's that time of year again...

HAS WENGER'S TIME COME??????? IS WENGER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN GENUINE TROUBLE??

Then we can forget all about it by the summer.

...our back ups are either playing a striker out on the wing or else a pair of 17 year old Welsh lads.

17 year old Welsh lads who both randomly got called up for the full Welsh national team and you don't see Old Manus having a moan about them like he did Raheem Sterling, by the way.

I call this the smurf manus prediction: Liverpool top four, Swansea relegated. Oh, and Middlesbrough top 10. I know how much he hates boro.

Psychotic
09-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Fucking Middlesbrough ruined my life. Why did I do that?

Bubba
09-09-2017, 02:30 PM
See, Man United? You're not the only ones who can thump the Premier League's lesser teams 4-0. :p

I'd just planned to requote this and leave it but your sh*te defence conceded five :colbert:

Psychotic
09-09-2017, 02:33 PM

I'd just planned to requote this and leave it but your sh*te defence conceded five :colbert:Probably for the best. I'm on the verge of throwing myself down a well and living there for the rest of my short and painful life. That would've been what tipped me over the edge.

DK
09-09-2017, 02:35 PM
well you know what happens when I watch Liverpool games...:shobon:

Psychotic
09-09-2017, 02:37 PM
I had a sneaking suspicion when Mane got sent off that you were behind this.

DK
09-09-2017, 02:46 PM
In my defence, it's my favourite fixture of the season and magically it was live at a time in my spooty time zone where I could actually watch it. No way I could miss it.

Having said that, as happy as I am to tank someone 5-0, also a bit gutted. Gutted for Ederson getting totally destroyed. Gutted for Mane as it was clearly unintentional. Gutted it changed the game. Also extremely perplexed and acutely aggravated by the colossal tits who for unknown reasons decided to boo Hames 'God' Milner? Where the shiet did that come from?

Old Manus
09-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Brendan wouldn't have suffered such a humilation.

Psychotic
09-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Brendan wouldn't have suffered such a humilation.This is a trap isn't it?

Bubba
09-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Always a tough game at Stoke. Happy with a point, especially after having such a bad record against them recently.

Bubba
09-12-2017, 07:46 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH CHAAAAAAAAAAMPIAAAAAAAAANSSSS

Psychotic
09-12-2017, 07:52 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH CHAAAAAAAAAAMPIAAAAAAAAANSSSSdoo da doo da doo da doo da

(I'm the violin okay)

Bubba
09-12-2017, 08:00 PM
You sound like Cloud after he washes up in Mideel.

Psychotic
09-12-2017, 08:01 PM
That's more

pom pa pom pa pom pa pom pa BLREEIIIIICH pom pa pom pa pom pa pom pa BLREEIIIIICH

Bubba
09-12-2017, 08:05 PM
I haven't a clue how that makes sense.

If you're bored you could do me a vocaroo.

Psychotic
09-14-2017, 01:51 PM
If you're boredI support Liverpool, boredom is not possible. Whether it's insane and shambolic transfers or on the field action. On that subject, I don't even have the heart to quote my usual Champions League attack, Championship defence line anymore. There's some unironic Klopp out wankers, but I might join them simply because it'll be good for my heart if we get some dull clogger like Pulis in.

Old Manus
09-14-2017, 03:58 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/12/article-2323411-19BE2488000005DC-386_306x423.jpg

Psychotic
09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
I said dull clogger, not turd that you can't seem to flush because it has friends in the turd media that sing its praises because it used to be an acceptable if unspectacular potato salad.

Bubba
09-15-2017, 10:00 AM
So, my work colleague and I were looking up to see if anyone famous was born on the day of our birth... the exact day and year.

He didn't have anyone notable but I had one. Who was it?

Psychotic
09-15-2017, 10:32 AM
I said it before and despite the deranged protestations from BoB I'm going to say it again, if you don't love Dirk regardless of who you support you are subhuman filth. He's an ugly bugger who isn't very good at football but is still really effective on the pitch because he never, ever stops running. He also does a ridiculous amount of work for his kid's charity too. What he just did at Feyernoord is the very definition of Roy of the Rovers. Scoring a hat trick for his boyhood team in his last game before retirement to win them their first title in 20 years. I love him so much. You are lucky, Bubba!

Rocket Edge
09-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Do people remember Kuyt's sick golazo hatrick against United? Out of this world.

All footballers who aren't cheating on their wives and try to make a difference I tip my hat too. Fucking hate Chelsea but I have great time for Drogba and all the charity he does.

Loony BoB
09-15-2017, 01:03 PM
I had protests? idk man I just don't like him because he scored against us. :stare:

I guess he is almost as good as Lingaard.

DK
09-15-2017, 02:23 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/12/article-2323411-19BE2488000005DC-386_306x423.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/05/article-0-026756FE0000044D-28_306x423.jpg

Bubba
09-15-2017, 07:13 PM
idk man I just don't like him because he scored against us.

Yup.

Plus, he played for Liverpool.

Psychotic
09-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Doesn't matter, Dirk Kuyt is the best human being of all time. You can shove your Gandhis, your Nelson Mandelas, and your Joey Essexes right up your arse.

Bubba
09-15-2017, 07:20 PM
OK Squire, we should hold this human in some sort of reverence... even though he bats for Mordor.

Tell me, is there a Man Utd player you could feel that way about?

Psychotic
09-15-2017, 07:31 PM
http://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-george-best

He wasn't a good person like my boy Dirk. The opposite to him, probably, as he was good looking, all talent and no work. He was a tragic genius who you can't help but admire and pity in equal measure. Hate, though? Never.

Loony BoB
09-15-2017, 08:25 PM
John O'Shea is still better. Plus, he's Irish. Bonus points.

DK
09-16-2017, 12:22 PM
http://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-george-best

He wasn't a good person like my boy Dirk. The opposite to him, probably, as he was good looking, all talent and no work. He was a tragic genius who you can't help but admire and pity in equal measure. Hate, though? Never.

How about Arsenal?

Psychotic
09-16-2017, 12:54 PM
How about Arsenal?

omPdemwaNzQ

try to watch it without getting an end of MGS3 manly tear in your eye.

Rocket Edge
09-16-2017, 09:52 PM
I have an irrational love of the man. Nutmegging Figo, the chip against Arsenal, and a top, top goalkeeper. (Top man too)

Bubba
09-16-2017, 11:23 PM
I have an irrational love of the man. Nutmegging Figo, the chip against Arsenal, and a top, top goalkeeper. (Top man too)

Don't forget the 2006-2007 season where he was the most prolific striker in the Premier League. 80% of his shots on target resulted in goals. To put that into context... Drogba was second with 50%.

I mean yeah, O'Shea only had five shots on target BUT four goals... including a match winner at Anfield after they tore us apart for 90 minutes :lol:

I actually met John O'Shea at O'Shea's Irish bar (not his) in Manchester. Top guy.

Rocket Edge
09-16-2017, 11:42 PM

Don't forget the 2006-2007 season where he was the most prolific striker in the Premier League. 80% of his shots on target resulted in goals. To put that into context... Drogba was second with 50%.

I mean yeah, O'Shea only had five shots on target BUT four goals... including a match winner at Anfield after they tore us apart for 90 minutes :lol:

I actually met John O'Shea at O'Shea's Irish bar (not his) in Manchester. Top guy.
Haha excellent I met him in O'Donoghues pub in Dublin with Gary Breen years ago and he was 100%. I met Robbie Keane recently in a nightclub too. He was in a VIP area and I shouted 'MAN ROBBIE!!!' and the security asked me to step back but he said 'let the man over', so I chatted him for a second and afterwards he got to the stage and sang wonderwall. Haha two top men.

DK
09-17-2017, 03:56 AM
Did he say that he'd always been a fan of O'Donoghues pub as a boy??

Rocket Edge
09-17-2017, 02:45 PM
He said he thinks every boy, growing up, dreams of putting on the jersey and to step over that white line to O'Donoghue's pub.

Psychotic
09-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Everton are basically United's bitch: selling them their best players, buying their crap ones and rolling over to have their tummies tickled whenever they play.

It'd be nice if Southampton actually let us beat them every once in a while. And if they bought Dejan Lovren back.

Bubba
09-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Everton are basically United's bitch: selling them their best players, buying their crap ones and rolling over to have their tummies tickled whenever they play.

I agree with the selling and buying of players. They've actually rolled over very little in recent years... especially at Goodison Park where we've received plenty of spankings.

Obviously happy with the 4-0 though it definitely flattered us. We've been a lot more shakey at the back in the last two home games. Granted, we switched the back four against Basel but we were exposed far too many times yesterday.

If we can play like we did we did in those first 30 minutes consistently though then we'll be right up there in May.

Loony BoB
09-18-2017, 03:12 PM

If I recall correctly, he only had five shots at all, and all five were on target. So 80% of his shots resulted in goals. Might be wrong, mind you. It's easy for stories about historic legends to get those extra little touches added on.

Rocket Edge
09-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Phil Neville says Rashford is on the same level as Dembele, Mbappe. (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2734366-marcus-rashford-on-same-level-as-ousmane-dembele-and-kylian-mbappe-says-neville)

He went from overrated, to criminally underrated, to I dunno now.. might seem laughable but I don't think he's far off those above.

Psychotic
09-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Sorry, but I don't think he is at that level. But then there's no shame in that either, he's still young and could still surpass both Dembele and Mbappe. Or he may just be another Francis Jeffers:

http://www.football365.com/news/marcus-rashford-the-ridiculous-statistics

Either way, Neville should know better than putting stupid amounts of pressure on such a young player. Just let him be Marcus Rashford.

Rocket Edge
09-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Not on the same level but not far off. Agreed on the last bit. Just goes to show how astonishing Owen, Rooney, & Fowler were looking at those stats. To think Rashers has played around 70% of his time playing on the wing that he's in that scoring bracket is an achievement.

Psychotic
09-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Yeah, Liverpool (as a city) made some good young strikers with those three and Jeffers. But then it's also worth noting that all four of them peaked earlier in their careers than the average footballer. It's also worth noting that there's no sign of the likes of Harry Kane or Jamie Vardy on there.

There's too much pressure on footballers to be good now. Oxlade-Chamberlain has been taking a lot of shit from Arsenal fans but I mean he's had a handful of appearances, mostly off the bench, in a team that is in absolutely shit form. If he's still rubbish by the end of the season then fair enough but let's worry about that then.

Rashford's stats aren't too dissimilar from fellow winger Raheem Sterling's and I think if he matches him he can have a very good career in football. And yeah he could have a Kane/Vardy style late growth spurt and become really exceptional. Or, as mentioned, he could take the Jeffers route!

Bubba
09-22-2017, 03:30 PM

If I recall correctly, he only had five shots at all, and all five were on target. So 80% of his shots resulted in goals. Might be wrong, mind you. It's easy for stories about historic legends to get those extra little touches added on.

You're probably right. Five shots all in target. I was talking about conversion though so five shots, four goals and I presume one save. Ha, one of those goals was the ball hitting him on the ankle and nestling in the corner :lol:

He also kept a clean sheet for twenty minutes at White Hart Lane including a one-on-one save against Robbie Keane.

Bubba
09-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Barcelona tried to pay £140M for Coutinho...

We paid half that for Lukaku.

Psychotic
09-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Yeah, given that Coutinho is three times the player Lukaku is I guess you guys got ripped off on that one.

Bubba
09-27-2017, 08:55 PM
Yeah, given that Coutinho is three times the player Lukaku is I guess you guys got ripped off on that one.

It depends how you define a player.

Lukaku has been with us for nine games.

Ten goals.

Psychotic
09-27-2017, 09:08 PM
So that's £7m per goal, or £3.5m for each time his own fans have sung a racist song about him against his wishes...

Real talk, I've had him captained in my fantasy football team since day one and I'm top of my work's league. I definitely know his value! I would have him over Kane every day of the week.

Bubba
09-27-2017, 09:18 PM
So that's £7m per goal, or £3.5m for each time his own fans have sung a racist song about him against his wishes....

Are we going to go there???

Lets not

Psychotic
09-27-2017, 09:26 PM
You said plenty about ol' chompy back in the day. Can't have it both ways! Either all of it's okay or none of it is.

Bubba
09-27-2017, 10:14 PM
Luis Suarez

Psychotic
09-28-2017, 07:50 AM
See that's what I mean. Perhaps I presented it in the wrong way as a dark joke, but it's not a we-won-it-20-times, we-won-it-5-times pissing contest. Luis Suarez being convicted of racist abuse 5 years ago doesn't give anyone at Manchester United a free pass to sing racist/xenophobic songs about Vidic, Park and now Lukaku.

For the record, I think United as a club have handled it very well in involving Kick It Out and trying to identify footage of the "fans" who were singing it.

Rocket Edge
09-28-2017, 01:34 PM
The main reason it should be stopped is because it's a terrible chant anyway. The United fans usually come up with much better material!

Bubba
09-30-2017, 08:06 PM
Big win for City tonight. We'll see how we fair in our first big game against Tottenham at the end of October.

Old Manus
10-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Well bugger. It's taken me a while for me to come around to the idea that this team is actually that decent, or at least any better than the almost-glory days of Hartson, Bellamy, Speed and Earnshaw, but I finally believed that we actually were the real deal this time, good enough to have a decent swing at a World Cup. Why do we either seem to be an absolute bag of troute in qualifiers or endeavour to fall agonisingly short at the final hurdle? Ireland won fair and square, though.

I'll leave you all with this -what you're all going to be missing next summer:

https://www.facebook.com/WelshFanZoneTV/videos/1102165016587287/

Give em hell in the playoffs Rocket Edge!

Cell
10-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Time to get behind Iceland after another inglorious failure.

Rocket Edge
10-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Cheers Manus! I'm hoarse today. I haven't cheered that much or been in agony for that 30 minute spell after the goal for quite some time. It was not pretty but we got the job done. I never, ever thought after the defeat to Serbia and all the results outside that would've had to have gone our way that we would've made the play-offs. Gutted for Wales at the same time. The Welsh national anthem was amazing. The smaller nations seem to be the most passionate as it's not a given they'll go through and it'll be missed. I wish the best for Chris Coleman too. If he does leave I hope he get's in with a decent club.

Psychotic
10-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Looks like the World Cup thread is going to be a little light this year with the USA's MLS experiment going horribly wrong.

On Prem matters, Mane out for months? Oh god. I can't take this. As long time readers of this series of threads will know, I normally go into the Anfield LFC v United match full of pompous bluster and an expectation of victory. After the Man City massacre I will be chuffed with a boring goalless draw. That's pretty sad.

Rocket Edge
10-11-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm absolutely devastated the USA is out. I loved all the hype it caused and the reaction video's to when USA scored in the 2014 WC. Fucking devastated!

Crop
10-11-2017, 11:53 AM
I will be chuffed with a boring goalless draw. That's pretty sad.

Please God no, not another 'Red Monday'. That match almost put me off football for life. I'd rather be hammered 6-0.

Bubba
10-14-2017, 12:20 PM
I have a bad feeling about today...

Psychotic
10-14-2017, 01:24 PM
I will be chuffed with a boring goalless draw. That's pretty sad.

Please God no, not another 'Red Monday'. That match almost put me off football for life. I'd rather be hammered 6-0.Well it's definitely been better than that game although still not an all time classic.

Lukaku should be off for two yellows though so no doubt he will now go on to get the winner...

Psychotic
10-14-2017, 02:23 PM
I am actually not chuffed at 0-0. Football, funny old game.

Bubba
10-14-2017, 02:38 PM
I have a bad feeling about today...

Huh, must have been a bit of wind.

I do feel a bit nauseous though. It's weird, I used to respect Mourhino when he used those tactics (2nd half) against us. Now he's doing it for us... I hate it.

Crop
10-14-2017, 06:25 PM
First half was enjoyable. Not so much the second. I don't really mind the defensive tactics so much, but we played utterly awful outside of that. The amount of first touches that got away from us was embarrassing, and I can probably count on one hand the amount of passes we managed to string together that totaled more than three.

With how the game went I am happy with a draw, although I wanted a win going in.

Cell
10-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Oh Andy Carroll, when will you learn?

Rocket Edge
10-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Think this is a good take on the Pool V Man U game IMO. (https://youtu.be/jXoFfO21MUE) If however he does this at home then I'd call it lousy tactics.

In other news, delighted with the draw for Ireland in the WC. We have a chance against Denmark.

Psychotic
10-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Sorry mate, Neil Custis is a terrible football pundit and also a suck up to Mourinho so his opinion does not hold much weight with me. Football365 shreds him accordingly: http://www.football365.com/news/mediawatch-one-lukaku-away-from-a-mourinho-masterclass

My take is this: Mourinho wanted a point and got the point so fair enough, but with a troute Liverpool defence he could've got more if he'd tried and in a title race two points dropped could be crucial - their cross-city title rivals sure as hell didn't hold back against Liverpool. Liverpool meanwhile may have wanted 3 points, but so what? They weren't good enough to get them. There's no bragging rights there.

Rocket Edge
10-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Ha maybe he is terrible (I don't know who he is) just a friend posted it in a group chat and I thought he made some good points. If we somehow manage to get 4 points from Liverpool this season then it's job done 110%. I thought the City/Pool game was very even up until the sending off then the game went awol. City have better players than us like. We could've won but we also could've lost against a team that was excellent against the top sides last season. The football was septic admittedly.

Psychotic
10-17-2017, 09:40 PM
I'd probably say 4 points is not job done if Man City get 6!

I'd also say that while they probably just about edge it, I don't think City have significantly better players than United, like the gap between United and Liverpool/Arsenal is. It's certainly not such a wide gap that it requires radically different approaches. The wage bills are really similar, as has been spending over the past few years.

In other news:

Also, I don't care if it's "just Maribor", I'll bloody take it.
Speaking of Man City, wow. Impressive.
Speaking of impressive, Spurs.
Speaking of monumental wastes of footballing time, please no Alan Pardew

Rocket Edge
10-18-2017, 10:27 AM
I'd be surprised if City take 6 points off Liverpool. I'd say the likes of Aguero & De Bruyne are above anything we have bar our goalkeeper. If regardless of age you said Ronaldo or De Bruyne in your team first pick I'd go with De Bruyne. Been really impressed with us this season but I think we're a world class player short this year. That and City look to be the best side in Europe ATM.

I find it hilarious how much the Real players get so wound up when things aren't going their way. Ronaldo hit the post in their first attack and was like 'everyone at home look how unlucky we are we could beat these guys 10 nil if we tried'. In the end Spurs probably should have won. I hope Spurs kill them in Wembley. Both Liverpool and Spurs should be in fine form come their match.

Bubba
10-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Rashford always makes Lingard look twice the player he actually is. They work really well together. That was a lovely opening goal at the Swans.

Rocket Edge
10-25-2017, 08:18 AM
Yep. Though Lingard's ability to instigate a run to stretch defence's (apart from on the wings) is the best we have in our squad.

Bubba
10-25-2017, 08:20 AM
To be fair, his off-the-ball running was superb and he thoroughly deserved his man-of-the-match.

Loony BoB
10-25-2017, 11:54 AM
People might say he's isn't all that but he scores important goals for us. The days of Martial-Rashford-Lingard as the front three were amazing. I mean I like Lukaku a lot and Ibra is cool but any day those three are the front three for us I've always felt pretty confident we'll get goals. We really do have a strong squad at the moment. Shame City is also strong but hey, it's a long season. :D

Bubba
10-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Yeah, any other year I'd say we were strong favourites for the title. I don't think there is a single team in Europe playing as well as City at the moment though.

Rocket Edge
10-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Didn't we start Lingard/Rashers/Martial up front against Chelsea at home last season? We had great movement in that game and proved it could work against a very good team. Lingard is underrated a lot with United fans.

Also, agreed. City are the best team in Europe at this moment so in most seasons we'd be top by now. I remember we lost 2-1 away to Wolves a few years ago and they finished bottom and we finished first.

Psychotic
10-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Interesting little attacking trio you got there, but I'll keep Mane, Salah and Coutinho* if it's all the same to you boys.

I'm only really saying this because we're trout in literally every other area of the pitch let me have this one thing okay.

*I say keep Coutinho...

Old Manus
10-26-2017, 11:02 AM
[mickey mouse cup post]

Bubba
10-26-2017, 11:40 AM
[mickey mouse cup post]

Don't worry, man. The Swans will be a much stronger unit next season. There's a definite drop in quality at championship level.

Psychotic
10-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Ask Sunderland how that one's working out for them.

Rocket Edge
10-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Sunderland looked like a Conference team last season, to be fair.

Psychotic
11-07-2017, 08:34 AM
RIP West Ham

Bubba
11-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Rocket Edge
11-07-2017, 12:54 PM
What genius at board level thought sacking Slavin Bilic and replacing him with David Moyes was a good idea. Jesus wept.

Psychotic
11-07-2017, 01:05 PM
http://www.newstalk.com/content/000/images/000040/42769_54_news_hub_36971_656x500.jpg

Psychotic
11-18-2017, 04:08 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TEfEiBv.jpg

Signing of the season. You can shove your Lionel Messi up your arse. Just one more fuck up Mourinho made at Chelsea, along with De Bruyne and Lukaku.

Also god damn look how many City players are on that list.

DK
11-19-2017, 03:49 PM
We are glorious. Put it this way, I can now think of Pep and not throw up a little in my mouth. Most of you will be offended by this but Pauw will understand the gravitas of this. Also Salah is a god damn monster.

Psychotic
11-21-2017, 10:14 PM
The Sevilla Protocol:

1) Shred them to smurfing pieces in the first half
2) I mean, batter them. Score as many goals as you can (it won't be enough, but fill your boots)
3) SECOND HALF.
4) Alberto Moreno
5) Jordan Henderson shouting
6) Fall to pieces
7) Fall for obvious diving and cheating
8) NEVER LEARN YOUR smurfING LESSON

3 games against these arseholes and it goes exactly the same way. Learn your smurfing lesson and go full Mourinho or Allardyce in the second half. And look, you know they're going to start flopping over if someone so much as sneezes in their general direction. So why the smurf are you still leaving your foot in and why the smurf are you doing it in the box? Infuriating!

Thank smurf Haribo FC managed to snatch a draw against Spartak.

Bubba
11-22-2017, 09:30 AM
As much as I enjoy Liverpool's suffering, it was sad to hear the news about Eduardo Berizzo. I'm glad Sevilla were able to come back and give them all some much needed cheer.

Looking forward to a no-pressure champions league game later on. No doubt we'll come out with about five injuries to key players after Mourhino plays them unnecessarily.

Rocket Edge
11-22-2017, 09:34 AM

Psychotic
11-22-2017, 11:43 AM
74972This is exactly it!

DK
12-10-2017, 09:35 PM
http://dailypost.ng/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/silva.jpg

https://e0.365dm.com/16/07/800x600/otamendi-manchester-city-defender_3752203.jpg?20160726161159

http://ste.india.com/sites/default/files/2015/12/19/443276-jose-mourinho-shock.jpg

get wrecked jose ya mouthy :bou::bou::bou::bou:

Loony BoB
12-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Was rough to watch, not because of lack of possession (expected against any Pep team) nor because of our defence (I don't recall City getting shots galore or De Gea having too much to do) but more so because we lost in set pieces on both occasions, I think it was Lukaku both times too, and because of our lack of real incisive passes going forward. We really missed Pogba.

Diving on both sides was disappointing to see. We got booked for it, but at least our player got touched before he threw himself to the ground... Stirling should have been carded for two dives, it's no wonder he didn't complain too loudly on either occasion. Gross football.

I predicted City would win before the game because they're damn near unstoppable this season, they'll easily walk the title from here at this rate. I still don't really care for Pep's style of football, I prefer something with a bit more excitement, but sadly United aren't much better right now, and against City their style just didn't have a chance to show.

Great draws all over for next round. Juventus vs Spurs? United vs Seville? Chelsea vs. Barca? PSG vs Real Madrid!? Dude.

Psychotic
12-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Sevilla aren't so bad if you can defend a lead...

Psychotic
12-23-2017, 08:38 AM
This is slowly killing me, my heart cannot take it. Give me a Mourinho, Allardyce or Moyes for a couple of years so I can sleep through our matches instead.

Rocket Edge
12-23-2017, 06:04 PM
I nearly follow Liverpool games now as much as I do United games. They just pure entertainment. Arsenal V Liverpool is a sick match-up!

Psychotic
12-26-2017, 05:02 PM
Okay, here it comes, I think it is finally time to admit I was wrong about Jesse Lingard and he is not half bad.

Happy? :colbert:

Loony BoB
12-26-2017, 11:56 PM
:D Yes.

If it helps, the greatest praise I can give Dirk Kuyt is that he would always bloody do well against us and it annoyed me to no end. I feel Lingard is a similar kind of player to him in some ways. Same with Neville - basically a player who has talent but not to the extent of the world's famous stars. In other words, not natural talent, but still trained skill that is worked hard in order to get. Lingard works way harder than I suspect people might think - they see him dancing about after a goal like a knob and think he's an annoying poncy footballer but he runs like a workhorse all day long, isn't afraid to do his defensive duties and still has enough skill to get past a player and put a ball into the box, or the goal. Okay, Neville can't do the latter much but the rest all applies. I like a player that can get on with things and he doesn't tend to stop and wave his arms around in a strop when the going gets tough (hi, Ronaldo).

Old Manus
12-27-2017, 12:25 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3orieYYg2arGEt5o40/giphy.gif

The Captain
01-03-2018, 11:57 PM
And the transfer madness begins again.

Quick question, if Coutinho goes to Barca in January, wouldn't he be Cup-Tied and not able to play in the Champions League?

Take care all.

Psychotic
01-05-2018, 10:22 PM
And the transfer madness begins again.

Quick question, if Coutinho goes to Barca in January, wouldn't he be Cup-Tied and not able to play in the Champions League?

Take care all.Yeah, so it's surprising he wants out now instead of in the summer but there we are. Nothing to be done about it.

Also, £75m gets you that. Get smurfed you blubbery pint of wine Dudley bitch boy. It's all the more sweeter that we scored from a soft penalty after what happened in the league a couple of weeks ago.

For some reason the pundits who were saying "Don't give them a reason to go down!" then have all suddenly changed their tune to football being a contact sport "never a penalty" now. I get that a lot of them want the narrative of a cup upset and I'm used to that whenever we play a lesser light in the FA Cup. Yes, plucky little Everton and their £50m signing finally managing to win at Anfield in this century would have been a nice story for the assembled TV crews, but at least be consistent when talking about the rules. I'm sure the Derby - United game was full of patronising and sycophantic commentary towards Derby too, I don't doubt you're all as used to it as much as I am.

Psychotic
01-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Every season I say there is no better or more entertaining fixture in the league and every season it never disappoints. smurfing christ. The raw smurfing intensity makes me feel physically drained.

I just love that, despite having a comfortable lead against an unbeaten monstrosity of a team, do Liverpool sit back and park the bus? Do they bollocks. Our defence is trout so let's keep attacking them! Our left back is actually pressing their own left back in the corner flag in the 75th minute, what the actual smurf. This is probably how we beat Man City, they're used to oppo teams playing 11 men behind the ball and troutting themselves while refusing to attack, not this insane LFC berserker style. Their players watched ours continuing to attack like "what fresh hell is this? Who does this?"

Also some smurfing delicious finishes from LFC today too actually, proper phwoar strikes of the ball all round.

https://i.imgur.com/kdzKBvw.jpg

Cell
01-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Conceded 3?

But Celtic fans tell me van Dijk is the best most great defender in the world!

Psychotic
01-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Conceded 3?

But Celtic fans tell me van Dijk is the best most great defender in the world!He was injured and didn't play, so they'll probably continue to tell you that for the time being!

Loony BoB
01-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Liverpool. :') Now if five other clubs would be so kind as to do similar to City...? And United win every game? :lol: :(

charliepanayi
01-15-2018, 01:07 PM
This is a neat summation of our season

Crop
01-15-2018, 10:40 PM
That Pogba is just something else. Wonderful to watch.

The Captain
01-16-2018, 12:50 AM
Liverpool MUST, MUST, MUST invest in a top flight goalie to truly close the gap moving forward. We clearly have the talent on offense to win any game but we are always found wanting in the back, especially when things get crazy in the box. Someone who can really take charge and organize the team would make a world of good back there.

Also, I still really hope Can re-signs with us. I have long favored him over Henderson as our deep lying midfielder and he has shown the quality on a number of occasions this season. Make it happen!

I think Klopp shows as always, that his brand of football has the dizzying highs but comes with so many potential trap doors that you never feel safe. His post-match interview (http://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/liverpool-manager-jurgen-klopp-curses-postgame-interview-says-thought-america-ok-2.html) on NBCSN was such a crystallization of why the man inspires such loyalty and might also be a madman.

For City, this sort of game played right into Pep's hands long-term and you could see it on the sidelines. He wasn't really angry, more bemused by what was happening. He'll use it to motivate his players to not get complacent and kick on for the rest of the year.

The fight for the 2-4 spots will be a real dogfight, though especially if/when Sanchez leaves, I don't think Arsenal will keep up.

End of season Top 6 Predictions:

City
Utd
Liverpool
Spurs
Chelsea (Conte leaves, possibly to Real Madrid?)
Arsenal (Wenger retires)

Take care all.

Loony BoB
01-16-2018, 09:48 AM
I'd be rather shocked if Real Madrid take on a manager who fails to reach the CL spots with Chelsea. Well...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/mshckd.gif

Psychotic
01-16-2018, 01:40 PM
I can't believe I'm going to have to start hating Andy Carroll. First Raheem Sterling and now this. Are any of my football thread favourites sacred anymore?

Loony BoB
01-16-2018, 02:05 PM
I can't believe Chelsea are actually trying to sign him. West Ham bought him when he wasn't doing amazingly, you'd think he'd have to have proved himself highly competent while at West Ham, but he's hardly set the world alight. Surely Chelsea can aim for someone more notable, or even someone young and new? I mean Carroll isn't bad by any means but he's not the kind of person you'd expect to be signed by the big six at this stage.

Psychotic
01-16-2018, 02:34 PM
I think his nationality plays a part, there's a clear strategy towards buying English players emerging. Not only Carroll but they probably could've done a lot better than Drinkwater and Barkley too, and they were competing with LFC for the Ox in the summer.

The Captain
01-17-2018, 04:32 AM
I'd be rather shocked if Real Madrid take on a manager who fails to reach the CL spots with Chelsea. Well...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/mshckd.gif

I’m still honestly more shocked they hired Rafa to manage them before Zidane. Madrid love names above all else, well other than money and winning. Conte seems disgruntled in Chelsea (also no surprise) and with Madrid looking well below their standards, that might be a mutual marriage if both finish below expectations this year.

Also, first Torres, then Andy Carroll? What other ex Liverpool striker can Chelsea scoop up?? Is Peter Crouch still available?

Take care all.

Cell
01-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Andy Carroll on form is a huge plus for any time. He's surprisingly skillful in the air and often absolutely dominant in the air. However, he's got legs made of chocolate and zero pace.

I'd keep the Lanzini/Marko combo over him.

The Captain
01-19-2018, 02:19 AM
Speak of the devil!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/18/chelsea-make-surprise-peter-crouch-inquiry-bid-sign-target-man/

Take care all.

Old Manus
01-19-2018, 09:06 AM
What a time to be alive.

Psychotic
01-19-2018, 10:00 AM
What's Darren Bent up to these days?

Loony BoB
01-19-2018, 10:38 AM
28 goals in 84 games for Derby County :shobon:

Regarding Sanchez, if we do get him I'm in two minds. On the one hand, £35m (even if it's just six months until he's on a free) is a steal considering the current market. On the other hand, I love Rashford and Lingard and don't want to see them permanently sidelined by a big name just because he's a big name. At the moment, this season, Lingard is a better performer than Sanchez. Same goals, with Lingard one assist ahead, and in notably fewer minutes.

As for his wages, I don't pay too much attention to that stuff and the rumours are all over the place. £300k? £400k? £500k? Which is it? Given we'd apparently agreed terms with him ages ago according to all reports, the wage seems to keep going upwards since then for no obvious reason. I don't think we'd be paying him £500k per week, that's for sure. That's £200k more than anyone else in the PL as far as I'm aware. No reason for that to be justified.

Rocket Edge
01-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Absolutely buzzing with the confirmation of Sanchez. Really can't wait until Friday now. Think he'll play a part for him to be better settled in for the Spurs game. I like Rashers and Lingard a lot too but a player of his quality we have to jump at if the opportunity arises. I see Mata being in more danger than Lingard but I guess we'll see. Delighted. :D Don't think anything will top the unveiling of Van Persie though!

Psychotic
01-22-2018, 09:42 PM
While you'd think it couldn't get more depressing than losing to Manus's Swansea, the Liverpool team tonight is the first starting XI in Premier League history to have every single player born in the 1990's. I can't get mad at them without feeling like an old man shouting at children.

Rocket Edge
01-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Only Liverpool can tear City apart and lose against the leagues bottom side in the space of a week!

Old Manus
01-22-2018, 10:28 PM
:shobon:

DK
01-27-2018, 07:04 AM
While you'd think it couldn't get more depressing than losing to Manus's Swansea, the Liverpool team tonight is the first starting XI in Premier League history to have every single player born in the 1990's. I can't get mad at them without feeling like an old man shouting at children.

I feel like this should have been expected, really. After years and years of abuse, Steve was always going to eventually find a way to get his revenge, wasn't he?

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/multimedia/oratvi/multimedia/imagem/id/589117c50cf237f3233c7518/1024.jpg

Old Manus
01-27-2018, 09:08 PM
Did Liverpool fall for the Van Dijk meme?

Psychotic
01-27-2018, 09:31 PM
To be fair I don't think the reanimated corpse of Bobby Moore would look like a good defender with Mignolet behind him and Moreno to his left.

Psychotic
01-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Swansea in full on Sunderland mode.

Old Manus
01-30-2018, 10:06 PM
CARLOS HAD A DREAM

The Captain
01-31-2018, 05:47 PM
It seems crazy to me that Arsenal are adding yet another striker to their squad and at the same time, might be falling out of touching distance of the Top 4. Maybe their play is to do the same as United and win the Europa to get back into the Champions league?

Don't love that Liverpool seem to have gone quiet on deadline day as I still think our squad looks thin. Still, it seems like much of the top 4 are moving slow today.

Take care all.

Bubba
02-01-2018, 08:00 AM
I didn't watch the game last night. Thank fuck.

The Captain
02-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Just realized that PEA is cup-tied so he can't even help Arsenal in the Europa league. This reeks of buying a used sports car, getting it waxed and polished and then forgetting to check if it has a sound engine. Looks nice but you can't use it properly. Same insanity as the Coutinho move.

Also, is it me or is literally every team below 9th still possible to get relegated? The gulf between the top and bottom has never seemed bigger to me.

Take care all.

Psychotic
02-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Revoltingly bad refereeing. Like, it's part of the game and you win some, you lose some, so I don't normally complain, but I'm making an exception because that was absolutely sickening. Two penalties in five minutes, both dives and obvious smurfing dives. You have to be as stupid as Harry Kane looks if you think either one was anywhere near a penalty. If those diving :bou::bou::bou::bou:s pip us to a CL spot I am going to be sore as hell about it.

Old Manus
02-04-2018, 06:38 PM
The most revolting part about all this is I've actually come to enjoy watching Liverpool games now. It's just 100% banterball.

The Captain
02-04-2018, 07:05 PM
The second one especially is insane when you look at this angle:

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/960220809112453121/photo/1

VVD is clearly pulling his leg BACK and avoiding direct contact and Lamela is already falling down as if he took a knife right into his calf. Plus Lamela is making no play for the ball but just throwing himself into the leg.

After the ref sees it first hand and clearly waves play on, then he somehow gets talked into it by the assistant official, just bananas.

Also, two amazing goals in this game. That Wanyama strike, especially in replay, where you can see the swerve on it, was just beautiful. And Salah did what might be the best Leo Messi impression this season with that run.

I actually am becoming more convinced that Chelsea might be the one on the outside looking in at the Top 4. That team, especially Conte, just don't look right to me. They might win tomorrow but long term, they look like a team that just aren't as together.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
02-05-2018, 08:59 AM
Just realized that PEA is cup-tied so he can't even help Arsenal in the Europa league. This reeks of buying a used sports car, getting it waxed and polished and then forgetting to check if it has a sound engine. Looks nice but you can't use it properly. Same insanity as the Coutinho move.
You'd almost think they were planning ahead rather than just for this season. ;) Honestly, league > cups, and if they want to even see CL action next season then they need to make these kind of moves to improve their squad now. I think it was a good move. I dunno about the Coutinho move, I think that's more to appease fans and ensure that the current president resides during the next election after they sold Neymar.

Psychotic
02-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Dunno, PEA is turning 29 this summer. At least Barca will get a good 5 years out of Coutinho unless they Fabregas him. With that said I still think the fee is madness. He is the second most expensive player of all time but would he get into a world XI or even a Premier League XI? He's still an incredible footballer though and this isn't a "never fancied her anyway" line, I promise!

...but Firmino was always our best Brazilian.

Crop
02-05-2018, 01:29 PM
When you sign a 29 year old you're looking for an immediate impact, and I think arsenal still think they can get CL through the top 4, and why not? Chelsea don't have that third place secured at all, and Arsenal probably did the best bit of business in January out of the four fighting for those spots. The Europa is a good fallback, but their priority will be the league.

Spuuky
02-05-2018, 10:32 PM
Hi guys I am trying to like your "English" "football" since there is never any Allsvenksan broadcast available. I do not have a favorite team yet, only a least favorite one (Chelsea).

Please make your pitches to me on behalf of each team, thanks. Don't bother with any team with "Manchester" in the name.

The Captain
02-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Really not looking good for Conte now. Is it me or do Chelsea teams always suffer such weird hangovers in form season to season? They are world beaters and then the same collection of players look like someone took their FIFA settings and reduced them by half.

I don't buy Arsenal as real threats to break into the top 4 still. Their squad still makes little sense to me. All season long they've been calling out for real steel in the midfield so in response... they break the bank on another striker, after doing that over the summer? Wenger is searching for one more Henry to help ride off into the sunset with but I don't see it here.

Take care all.

The Captain
02-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Hi guys I am trying to like your "English" "football" since there is never any Allsvenksan broadcast available. I do not have a favorite team yet, only a least favorite one (Chelsea).

Please make your pitches to me on behalf of each team, thanks. Don't bother with any team with "Manchester" in the name.

Depends what you enjoy watching. As a Seahawks fan, you value a good team that has won in the past but they make some insane calls (run the ball with Lynch!!!!) and may be on the edge of decline. That basically describes Arsenal.

If you do not want to root for a Manchester team, and good for you, then I'd recommend Liverpool as they have a truly insanely fun to watch squad with a swaggering head coach who only believes in attacking at all costs. Rooting for them will always be fun but you'll definitely develop a heart condition since they are allergic to holding onto leads. Plus, they have a recent habit of losing their best players eventually to Spain.

If you want an inferiority complex, try either Spurs or Everton, who are always playing second fiddle to their "bigger" brothers clubs in their cities. Spurs have more talent but Everton have a manager who can help in placing bets.

Beyond that, root for Huddersfield if you want to make a friend of Patrick Stewart but they may not last beyond this season.

Otherwise, pick any team and just immerse yourself in their history and go from there.

Take care all.

Old Manus
02-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Too good to go down

Psychotic
02-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Too good to go downOn the one hand the banter would be most righteous should you go down, but on the other that'll be the end of the Swansea Football Thread Banter Era. Do I sacrifice long term enjoyment for one short term snarkfest? I don't know. I just don't know.

Spuuky
02-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Hmm, Liverpool is a tough one to decide on.

Good: Salah is cool, attacking is pretty cool, red is a nice color, Dele Alli not on their team

Bad: Feels like one of the "big boys," pretty sure Psychotic likes them

Psychotic
02-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Yeah, support Everton instead.

Spuuky
02-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Everton, as far as I can tell -

Cons: Wayne Rooney, way too many English national team types in general, ugly blue kits

Pros: A player named "Jonjoe Kenny"

Loony BoB
02-07-2018, 08:16 PM
If you don't want any of the big boys (or Everton), then I'd personally suggest Burnley or Leicester.

Psychotic
02-07-2018, 10:46 PM
Leicester are probably out because of the blue thing too.

How about West Bromwich Albion? They have a more aesthetically pleasing navy and Salomon Rondon is a lovely man.

Psychotic
02-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Was that... was that a Champions League quality attack and a Champions League quality defence? Top scorers in this season's tournament with two 7-0's and a 5-0. Emphasis on the 0's!

Don't let the scoreline fool you either, while it is definitely deserved Liverpool did not go into full throttle berserker mode. It was cool, calm and collected. They were happy to have possession while Porto sat back and chased shadows, and then quickly grabbed it back whenever Porto did through some insane pressing. They only attacked when opportunities presented themselves and were clinical when they did. It was really, really smurfing good, and it wasn't at all Liverpoolish.

The Captain
02-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Though I am getting way ahead of myself, I relish the thought of possibly playing Barcelona later on in this tournament and having Coutinho see what he left behind. Even better, he'd have to watch from the bench since he's cup-tied (I'm still so confused about why he forced the move when he did).

Robertson especially has been such a great addition. He gets forward as much as Moreno did but can actually put in a real good cross and tracks back to defend without lunging in all the time. If the defense especially can play this solid, the club's future is extremely bright.

Where will Naby Keita fit into all of this, I wonder? In my dreams, Can re-signs and then we play a midfield three of Can, Keita and a rotation of Gigi/Lallana/Hendo/Milner with the Ox spelling the big boys upfront.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
02-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Though I am getting way ahead of myself, I relish the thought of possibly playing Barcelona later on in this tournament and having Coutinho see what he left behind.
That's like saying Sergio Aguero would be looking back at Athletico Madrid and seeing what he left behind. With all due respect to Liverpool, Barcelona are flying as high in their league as Manchester City are in ours. I'm sure Suarez isn't exactly missing his Liverpool life either. xD Hell, as much as it pains me, I doubt Ronaldo misses Manchester United to the point that he has any regrets about leaving us.

Even better, he'd have to watch from the bench since he's cup-tied (I'm still so confused about why he forced the move when he did).
From the stands, if he's cup tied. ;)

I'm really not sure why some people are so caught up with the cup tied thing, these players are moving for more than half a season. Players move when cup tied all the time, it's really nothing new. We got Vidic and Evra mid-season. I can't remember if they were cup tied but it wouldn't have mattered - they were both rubbish their first half season. After that? Legends. You pick the club for the future season, not the first one, unless you're 33 or something.

Liverpool are doing excellent things right now and I'm envious of their attacking nature, but Liverpool aren't on Barcelona's level right now.

Psychotic
02-16-2018, 02:55 PM
It made sense for all parties. Liverpool wanted Coutinho to stay 'til the end of the season and apparently played the cup-tied card with him, but Barca basically said it was now or never and so put pressure on him to agitate for a move then. I guess from Coutinho's point of view you have the World Cup coming up this summer and you have no idea who the next shiny thing (in other words the next James and Kroos!) that the big Spanish clubs will want to sign up will be.

From Barca's point of view they lost a hell of a lot of face with the Neymar debacle and so Dembele and Coutinho are statement signings to prove they still have it.

And for LFC, the choice to keep or sell was apparently given to Klopp and as you saw with him at Dortmund, he'd rather have committed players. Coutinho never really fitted into Klopp's preferred system from a positional sense, but he was such a world class game changer that the square peg had to be crammed in there somehow. Without him you see games like Man City and Porto where Liverpool are playing more efficiently with more hard workers in midfield. Klopp has also been experimenting with new formations with Coutinho gone too, we'll now regularly switch to three at the back if we're holding onto a lead. That's not to say he's not a loss - after all, he was worth disrupting the system for - but losing Firmino would be twice as bad as losing Coutinho.

The Captain
02-16-2018, 03:38 PM
I would agree Bobby Firmino is much more vital to what we're doing in attack. Coutinho was the wild card that could be used to unlock teams that parked the bus against us when our speed was somewhat neutralized.

I read a very interesting theory about why Champions League is better suited for our game than even the EPL: Essentially it boils down to the mindset of teams. In the CL, you have mostly top tier and league winners involved, teams that play their own attacking style and aren't used to grinding out draws to avoid being relegated. They are used to scoring goals and thus, play wide open and attacking at us, which as everyone knows, is exactly what Liverpool want. In the EPL though, you have teams that are happy to scrap for draws and play 10 men behind the ball if it means getting that vital point to stay in the league. Just food for thought.

As to the cup-tied aspect, I take this view on things: nothing in life is guaranteed. Yes of course Barcelona is the bigger club but really, that can all change if there are long term injuries or contract/personality disputes that crop up. Really the team is built around Messi. If he were to ever leave, I would be curious if Coutinho really wanted to stay there. Thus, let's say Coutinho gets a long term injury, what if he doesn't get to play in Champions League for YEARS now or even the World Cup? I think you need to grab every chance to play NOW, not think about next year.

Sure, teams can bluster about "moving on" but Barcelona have the same ego every other team has and they'd come back again and again simply because a team or player dared to stare them down. They wouldn't want to lose their status as the team players ALWAYS go to.

The James Rodriguez misfire at Real is a sign that not all good things happen just because you go to the biggest club. He could never break into the team and eventually had to leave, granted to another giant, to really make his mark. Pogba right now looks miserable playing at Man United too, though that can come a lot down to the system Jose plays as well.

What has always rubbed me the wrong way with soccer is that the contracts are essentially dust. Players sign 5 year deals and are itching for a move away 6 months later. It happens all the time but is a very unique thing to this sport. In most other sports, it's only when a player is at approaching the end of their deal do they really become a big trade piece. Otherwise, they are seen as a building block for the team, not as the next potential big sale.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
02-16-2018, 11:26 PM
As to the cup-tied aspect, I take this view on things: nothing in life is guaranteed. Yes of course Barcelona is the bigger club but really, that can all change if there are long term injuries or contract/personality disputes that crop up. Really the team is built around Messi. If he were to ever leave, I would be curious if Coutinho really wanted to stay there. Thus, let's say Coutinho gets a long term injury, what if he doesn't get to play in Champions League for YEARS now or even the World Cup? I think you need to grab every chance to play NOW, not think about next year.
By that argument, surely nobody should ever attempt to join a better team, ever? You can live your life thinking "oh but it might go wrong" and become one of history's what-ifs, or you can take the leap. Sorry Cap, I usually really like your viewpoints and thoughts on these things but on this one I just can't get my head around your way of thinking. xD If a footballer would prefer to play elsewhere, it's completely right for him to chase that dream. Football is their business, not their hobby. The odds of a footballer suffering some kind of career ending injury are massively slim.

Like it or not, Barcelona is a natural step up for Coutinho's career. Now he's probably earning more, playing with better players and has a massively increased chance of actually winning things. There is no downside I can think of for him. I dare say career ending injuries are more likely to occur in the PL than La Liga, anyway!

The Captain
02-17-2018, 04:20 PM
I'm all for players being able to move, but I am also for them honoring their contracts. Otherwise, what's the point of having them at all?

We already are on the hairy edge of having literally 5 or 6 teams just buy up all the talent in the world, which as anyone that's an NBA fan can tell you, makes for a very dull championship.

Either just have every player be a free agent after every season and negotiate one year deals or at the very least, make it against the rules for a player who just signed a new contract to leave in the winter window.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
02-20-2018, 12:40 PM
I'm all for players being able to move, but I am also for them honoring their contracts. Otherwise, what's the point of having them at all?
It's the system we have at present - and the selling clubs have every right to say "no, we won't sell you" like Leicester did. It's just a case of having a player who doesn't want to be there vs. having a crapload of money. No club wants to release a player on a free - the assumption is always that they'll either extend the contract or they'll sell them with 1-2 years left on the contract. This is just the way of things right now, whether we like it or not. But yeah, if a club wants to force a player to stay they have that right. Few exercise that right though.

We already are on the hairy edge of having literally 5 or 6 teams just buy up all the talent in the world, which as anyone that's an NBA fan can tell you, makes for a very dull championship.

Either just have every player be a free agent after every season and negotiate one year deals or at the very least, make it against the rules for a player who just signed a new contract to leave in the winter window.

Take care all.
I agree that having 5-6 clubs buy the lot isn't great. Not sure if that suggested system is any better. Tough to say.

I think I'd be pretty happy with a system where you are only allowed to move in the mid-season windows if it's to a club that has the opposite season schedule (ie, break in mid-year vs. break in end/start of year). But then again, I think it helps keep the league competitive as if a club is way ahead, the other teams can strengthen. Hard to really say what's the best way. I guess no matter what we go for, there's always gonna be something screwy.

Loony BoB
02-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Sevilla tactics seem to be to tun into our players shoulder first and jam their legs into the backs of our player's legs. No yellows yet though - I thought the PL was supposed to be the dirty hard tackling league!?

Still got their comical drops to the ground when the likes of Mata of all people touch them :lol:

Psychotic
02-21-2018, 08:38 PM
3 games against these arseholes and it goes exactly the same way. Learn your smurfing lesson and go full Mourinho or Allardyce in the second half. And look, you know they're going to start flopping over if someone so much as sneezes in their general direction. So why the smurf are you still leaving your foot in and why the smurf are you doing it in the box? Infuriating!Well, you can't say I didn't warn you they'd do this. Fuck Sevilla.

Psychotic
03-13-2018, 11:31 PM
I still really dislike Sevilla but I can't really sympathise with United given that's the exact same thing they just did to us. I wish we'd be more streetwise and play like Sevilla and Saturday's United sometimes though. Early prediction: We get Sevilla in the next round, don't learn from our mistakes and lose.

I still don't understand why they signed Sanchez other than to say a massive smurf you to City - and I don't know why City wanted him either for that matter - but, uh, Torres 2.0 anyone? Does he even deserve to be in the team ahead of one of Lingard, Rashford and Martial?

Old Manus
03-15-2018, 01:48 PM
Well well remember this time last week when everyone was talking about 5 English teams in the last 8 and a return to PL domination? :shobon::shobon:

Psychotic
03-15-2018, 02:53 PM
I'm feeling pretty smug at work because I said only Liverpool and City would qualify despite other football liking colleagues saying all 5 would make it. Yes, I am that one annoying bloke. ...as if you all didn't already know that.

Loony BoB
03-15-2018, 04:04 PM
I still don't understand why they signed Sanchez other than to say a massive smurf you to City - and I don't know why City wanted him either for that matter - but, uh, Torres 2.0 anyone? Does he even deserve to be in the team ahead of one of Lingard, Rashford and Martial?
Personal opinion: We shouldn't have signed him, he unbalanced the team. Yes, he is probably better than perhaps all three of the other mentioned players on his day, but he hasn't had his day once since we signed him. I'm honestly at the point that I just wouldn't mourn Mourinho going at this stage, not because of the signings but because he can't get our team to attack in any effective way. The players don't look like they care. You could say that's on them, and it is to some extent, but honestly the players we have... they have all proven themselves capable and highly effective. It seems the manager simply doesn't know how to piece them together.

Why don't United ever press anymore? Why no one-two passes?

Psychotic
03-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Okay so on the one hand I'd have preferred to play an actual foreign team but on the other, Liverpool v City is the best fixture in the Premier League and has been for the past five years. Champions League tie under the floodlights, away goals and everything to play for? Strap yourselves in, you're going to see something insane. Either 6-0 to City on aggregate or 6-5 on aggregate to Liverpool.

Psychotic
03-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Bloody hell Mo Salah is broken. It's honestly like watching Messi (watch his first or third goals) as he tricks and hoodwinks defenders. It's insane.

...and he's going to be playing in Spain next year isn't he :(

Psychotic
04-04-2018, 09:54 PM
D...did Liverpool just park the bus? (After literally and figuratively smashing up City's)

Loony BoB
04-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Crap, now City are going to take it out on us. :(

Crop
04-07-2018, 08:04 PM
I don't think I've ever gone from that despondent to that elated in 45 minutes before.

Psychotic
04-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Crap, now City are going to take it out on us. :(First half: Yeah that's it City, get it all out of your systems before Tuesday.

Second half: no no no no no don't make them angrier oh god

Old Manus
04-10-2018, 03:43 PM
All this means is the City Premier League Champions 2018 Showdown moves to the home game vs Swansea :roll2

Psychotic
04-10-2018, 09:37 PM
hey

hey coutinho

fucking lol

That aside, Roma bloody hell well done.

Spuuky
04-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Now if only Juventas can do the same to Real Madrid.

Spuuky
04-12-2018, 12:58 AM
FUCK SO CLOSE

Psychotic
04-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Gutted for Buffon especially.

Loony BoB
04-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Didn't see the game. Was it a penalty?