PDA

View Full Version : Tekken Talk

Forsaken Lover
08-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Short history lesson about me: It must have been my brother who got me into Tekken. (we were raised by separate parts of our family) He always had the latest video game consoles and stuff and definitely had a Playstation before me. Anyway, I played Tekken 3 at his house and was beyond addicted. Jin was my favorite. I eventually somehow unlocked his school uniform and always played in that. Also played tons of Tekken Ball. My other favorite was Anna 'cuz I was a healthy growing boy. (or I was being indoctrinated by the unhealthy misogynistic system we live in while also falling victim to the US' strange love-hate relationship with sex) Loved her zebra outfit with the hat.

Anyway, young as I was, I still enjoyed Tekken for the story and characters. I read the instruction manual for T3 and was very intrigued. So intrigued I insisted my grandmother get Tekken 1 and 2 because I was clearly missing stuff. Found Tekken 2 at some random store but my grandmother had to special order Tekken 1 from somewhere.

Tekken Tag was among the first games I got for my new PS2 and I played it religiously because it played more like 3. T1 and 2 were...difficult to play but I still liked the characters in them, especially Jun. So TTT was a godsend, letting me play all these characters with all the improvements I hadn't even known were improvements.

Of course I was hyped for Tekken 4, too. It was a bit disappointing at the time but I've come to regard it quite highly. It was very story-driven and treated all the characters respectfully. Also that prologue music!

c9XDQ0Qwaq4

Tekken 5 though was a true disappointment for me because it just didn't have the same narrative integrity as 5.I kind of lost interest after this and all the shit I heard about T6, and Heihachi's legendary seiyuu passing away, turned me off the series I used to love.

But with Tekken 7 out I feel the need to rediscover this old franchise of my childhood. I've been told Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is among the best games in the series but sadly it's only for PSP and PS3 and guess whose PS3 crapped out a few months ago.

Luckily though, I do have options:
I have a PSTV which I can play Tekken 6 on. Also Street Fighter x Tekken.
I have a Xbox 360 which I can get Tekken Tag 2 for.
I have a PS4 for Tekken 7.

I intend to catch up and see what has become of the series I loved.

At present, of the above list, I've only gotten T6.

I think Azazel's theme is pretty cool. Then I heard it a few hundred times. More accurately, I heard the first...oh, 30 or 40 seconds of it a few hundred times. Now I don't like it.

Also that announcer needs to shut up.

So I'm no good at these games and I'm okay with it. I press buttons until I figure out what works and I remember what buttons work and I just do that a lot It's served me well in all the Tekken games., at least on regular difficulty. But Jesus, Azazel was a nightmare. I pretty much had given up all hope of beating it with 2 rounds and was thinking of setting it to 1 round. Then I thought "maybe I should try to kick more." Maybe it was pure, dumb luck but when I started to figure out more of Anna's good kicking moves, I won.

And my reward is an ending I watched on YouTube ages ago. It's nice Anna and Nina have resolved their differences enough to go out and shoot pool together. Only... I don't think that happened so it's just a joke ending with Anna butt. I'll take it.

What's with the Story Mode, though? It was like, 4 fights.Random person, Nina ("Rival"), Jin and Azazel. What kind of story is that? They've regressed to T1-3 levels. Especially with that "prologue." I unlocked Anna's prologue you see so it must be some great reward, that paragraph of text. I wasn't joking when I said the T4 Prologues were great and the T5 works were okay too. But this? Yuck. T5 also had those cool "significant fights" where you got dialogue and stuff before and after the battle. But here? Nothing between Anna and Nina pre or post fight.

I dunno, this was a bit disappointing. I had fun, but I dunno. Feels kind of low effort.

Also I should mention I support Jin x Xiaoyu and her T4 ending was very sweet in how somber it was. But in 5, she had a joke ending and the same is apparently true for this game.

Anyway...that's enough from me.

What's your favorite game?

Who are your favorite characters?

Favorite Songs? (this series is full of absolutely amazing tracks)

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2017, 04:13 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DifO9kT5ebc/WOAnb5-DlCI/AAAAAAAABco/ve8tFrqZLWI2uY3Bo7twKJICO-E-6wvxACJoC/w800-h800/king%2Bll%2Bvs%2Bking%2Bll.gif

Psychotic
08-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Tekken was my first ever PlayStation game and I loved it. There was a funny glitch where Lee would not stop kicking, like endlessly, until you died. I once jumped over his head and he carried on launching forward with kicks. I had my "Big Four" of best characters on there: Paul, Law, King and Yoshimitsu. I was irritated when I found out Kazuya won because he was kind of rubbish. Indeed, I hate the Mishima dominance of the trophy. They're not that good!

Never owned Tekken 2 but played it at a family friend's house every Christmas. Good times!

Tekken 3 introduced my bae, Hwoarang. And Jin's theme was absolutely incredible. Especially arcade remix. Oh, and Gon farting forever.

Tekken 4. When Heihachi came out in a thong. It's like that "Where were you on 9/11?" moment. Oh, and it gave me my other bae, Steve Fox.

Tekken 5 had the absolute best intro CGI to any game ever and I was just watching it with nostalgia the other day. Sodding love it.

Tekken 6 had a lot of boss online times with my partner-in-crime DK.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2017, 05:26 PM
I think my favorite Tekken 3 (console, not arcade) themes would be ranked as Julia Chang's, Ling Xiaoyus, and then King's.

Everybody loved Xiaoyu's theme.

Lyndis Highwind
08-07-2017, 05:33 PM
I've always wanted to play Tekken ever since I got into fighting games. I've never gotten around to getting one, unfortunately.

fat_moogle
08-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Tekken 3 was the first Tekken game that I played, and I enjoyed it a lot back in the day. Never played 1 & 2. Tekken Tag Tournament was the first game that I owned for PS2...that was a good Christmas. Ruined by my at-the-time step "Dad" who was so strict he hardly ever let me play it. TEKKEN BALLS TO HIM.

Did I play 4? You know, I don't think I did. If I did, I don't remember. 5: DR was fun, even if the addition of online stressed me out to no end. I owned 6 but honestly...my mind...I don't remember much about it, other than the added rage mechanics and Azazel. As I was saying to you earlier during Share Play of 7, I've never been much for following the Tekken story. Mishimas hate each other = I get the gist. 7's story sums some things up but misses out a lot, so when I get a chance I'll have to go in to the gallery and unlock the movies from the other games. I'm just waiting until I hit 2000 fights though so I can unlock everything at once without having to do it manually.

I've played TTT2 a few times over the last couple weeks and honestly, it makes me want a TTT3 with all the characters from TTT2 + the new characters from 7. If they could do that + add in all of the modes available in TTT2 + add in the online revenge match feature then it could be the ultimate Tekken game. 7 has fun gameplay but overall it's lacking.

Forsaken Lover
08-09-2017, 11:34 PM
You know, T5 had a great approach for its story. Whatever my gripes about the overall plot, the actual storytelling in 5 - with various cutscenes and dialogue between rivals and the like - was pretty great.

Whatever 6 was trying to do clearly did not work. Nobody smurfing liked the Scenario Campaign and now I can see why. (also can see why MK9's story mode gets a lot more props. There were actual fights there)

And the fact they call this abomination in T6 "Story Mode" is legitimately aggravating to me. I just did Jin's and Devil Jin's SM's and I am more clueless than ever. Who the heck was the person in DJ's ending?! Why did he collapse? WHAT'S GOING ON?!!!

This is my sentiment about everything I've seen in T6's "Story Mode."

On the bright side, Jin has some awesome boss music.

-gyYp828_LE

Vyk
08-10-2017, 05:26 AM
People used to get so much crap for liking stories in fighting games. People always thought only the fighting mechanics were all that mattered and anyone who cared about anything else was too casual. But i'm totally in that boat. I loved the "story" and relationships with characters in Street Fighter, I loved the stories in Soul Blade, and what carried through into Soul Calibur, and they just kept expanding on that more and more, until the garbage fest that is Soul Calibur 4 came along. I never got into Tekken, and from my experience it was very silly and cheesy. But its nice to know at one point there was something worth while there. But I think the industry saw it as silly and cheesy and then Namco probably just felt obligated to make it more joke and less serious. Either way its always nice to see threads like this and show that there is a point to having a story in a fighting game, especially if it's well done. It can carry a game through the years. People remember them more fondly and go back to them more frequently. I've gone back to Soul Calibur 3 so many time after taking years and years of hiatuses, just because I love the stories and options available

Forsaken Lover
08-10-2017, 07:43 PM
So who are the most popular Tekken characters? My interest in this was peaked when I was reading a ton of Tekken stuff on TVTropes and I think it was the Tekken YMMV page that said Lili has taken over for Nina ad the series' premier lady/foreign fanservice/whatever. I can't really dispute this - she debuted in that other Tekken 5 I think so I know fuck-all about her but ever since then I've seen people rave about her for whatever reason. I got nothing against her, I just don't know anything.

She was also in SFXT which I figure is a good baseline for determining who the Tekken series' bigest stars are.

(Of the new characters, Leo is the only one I have much interest in.)

Forsaken Lover
08-12-2017, 12:55 AM
Tekken Tag 2 is awesome, way better than T6. It helps that I'm winning I guess but even beyond that, I'm addicted. Already had nearly 200 matches. I don't really understand how I unlock things in Ghost Battle but I kept at it and I have a new outfit for Anna. Don't much care for it, probably gonna put her in the Maid uniform, but it's there. I haven't customized anyone else, maybe I was gettin gstuff for them? Or their endings?

I also still feel like this has a more coherent plot than T6 and I understand what is happening to the characters in the endings.

Speaking of T6's story, I'm stumped how they can do anything going forward. They basically pulled a Resident Evil: Extinction here where how do you proceed from the apocalypse? The answer is you don't. Jin destroyed the world, that's it. You can't really do anything with the characters because life is over. They really didn't think ahead about this whole world war thing, did they?

Forsaken Lover
08-13-2017, 01:21 AM
So how do you do a quarter or half circle move?

I'm actually learning some of the tag moves in TTT2 and I want to learn this throw for Nina and Anna but I can't friggin' do it.

qcf+1+2~5

The rest of it is so damned simple but I have no idea what a quarter circle forward entails.

Shauna
08-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Is it not just rolling the analog stick forward a quarter circle?

Edge7
08-13-2017, 09:39 PM
My best friends growing up had always played Tekken (starting with either 4 or the original Tag, I believe). I had never heard of the game until Tekken 5 (actually, I don't think I had ever played a non Smash Bros fighting game until Tekken 5 came out). However, because they were so much better than me, (and because Tekken's learning curve is smurfing ridiculous) I had never really learned how to play and decided fighting games weren't for me. It doesn't help that the friend I played with was more happy to whoop me over and over again without ever really explaining how to play the game. That being said, flash forward about a half-decade, during which I had been introduced to Guilty Gear, Blazblue and Third Strike (games which, despite their complexity, felt a bit more intuitive to me), and I understood the basics of a fighting game just well enough to hold my own in Tekken Tag 2, even if I only knew 3 or 4 combos and couldn't figure out how to sidestep when I wanted to.

Anyway, all of this has been leading up to me saying that once I have a bit more spending money, I'm excited to buy Tekken 7 as the first game in the series I'll really sink my teeth into.
I can't really say anyting about characters/themes, but I really like the Snow Palace from TT2. Go Shiina has become one of my favorite composers, and it's nice that Namco doesn't only assign him to niche RPGs and Monster Hunter-likes.

fat_moogle
10-29-2017, 06:20 PM
I had a bit of a break from Tekken 7 but I've gone back to it again now. Was getting Yoshi fatigue so I've decided to learn a new character - Steve Fox. Whenever I used to use him all I could do was sway but now I've took the time to take him in to practise mode I've been enjoying him! Anyone else learnt any new characters lately?

Example
10-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Tekken 3 is still the best one, followed by 5. 6 and the Tag games are good too. 4 was meh but worth it if only for Tekken Force mode. Never got into 1 or 2.

Yoshimitsu forever
https://ggtriple.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/yoshimitsu-tekken-3.jpg?w=450

sharkythesharkdogg
10-31-2017, 04:17 PM
I had a bit of a break from Tekken 7 but I've gone back to it again now. Was getting Yoshi fatigue so I've decided to learn a new character - Steve Fox. Whenever I used to use him all I could do was sway but now I've took the time to take him in to practise mode I've been enjoying him! Anyone else learnt any new characters lately?

I could take on the arduous task of getting decent with Nina's stuff, and we could have a classic family feud.

She is the forgotten grappler, and her mix-up chains are pretty darn strong. She just doesn't output a lot of damage for the difficulty of her combos.

Chibi Youkai
11-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Tag tournament will always be my favorite of the series. My Dad bought it for me, and we spent a lot of time playing it together. It was even better when we could convince Mum to play with us as well, as it was the only fighting game where we could actually all play on the same team. And the bowling. I think we bowled more than we played arcade mode. It was the reason we finally broke down and bought a controller multi-tap. Such good memories. I'm sure the story was good too, but the family times far outshone it.