PDA

View Full Version : Disney ditches Netflix

Shaymin
08-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Disney's yanking all it's stuff off Netflix to start their own streaming service.

This better not lead to politics getting in the way and cancelling the Marvel Netflix shows

Jinx
08-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Tbh, this is really fucking stupid on their part. If they think anyone is going to pay for a Disney exclusive streaming service just for Mulan and Phil of the Future, aaaah. No.

Fynn
08-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Tbh, this is really smurfing stupid on their part. If they think anyone is going to pay for a Disney exclusive streaming service just for Mulan and Phil of the Future, aaaah. No.

Pretty sure tons of people will. It's Disney

Edge7
08-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Like, that's true, but a WHOLE streaming service? For ONE company?

That shizz better have like, EVERY Disney Movie, DCOM and TV show that ever existed. Otherwise I don't get why I'd ever pay a monthly fee for solely Disney

Wolf Kanno
08-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Well considering Disney has been making content for TV and film since before WWII and the Disney channel itself has been around as long as cable, I'm pretty confident the company has enough of a backlog to fill up their own streaming service.

The real issue here would be what would happen if the other film studios ((Sony, Fox, Universal) got on in on this action and made their own services.

Jinx
08-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Tbh, this is really smurfing stupid on their part. If they think anyone is going to pay for a Disney exclusive streaming service just for Mulan and Phil of the Future, aaaah. No.

Pretty sure tons of people will. It's Disney

On top of Netflix and Hulu, both which offer various programming and original programming?

I mean, of course there's going to be people who do it, but on the whole, I doubt a significant enough group of people are going to. And tbqh if I find out anyone I know ends up getting this (other than maybe like, a parent so they can have a few minutes to trout in peace while little Addison and Jackons watch Kim Possible), I'm going to make fun of them so hard. They deserve to be shamed and feel the shame for it. xD

Freya
08-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Disney does own a LOT of stuff now though.

Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilms, heck even ESPN. They do have a lot of content

I don't like this but I don't think it will flop. Not because of adults but cause of those dang kids! It'll be easier for parents who already just sit their kids in front of netflix or whatever to just pay for this one too.

Jinx
08-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I gotta be honest. If this in any way affects me getting to watch Jessica Jones season 2, I'm gonna flip my shit.

Freya
08-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Probably wont as it's a netflix original just using the marvel license. That's probably an independent contract.

Pumpkin
08-10-2017, 02:49 PM
You know when like cable/satellite was a bigger thing and you'd pick packages and end up spending $40/month for packages when you only watch like 4 of the channels but they would bundle their good channels with the ones no one cared about?

I wouldn't be surprised if streaming turned in to a make your own bundle shedealio. End up paying $40 but you pick which steaming services you want, just instead of channels you get streaming services. At least you don't have to get the ones you don't want though :monster:

Shaymin
08-10-2017, 03:38 PM
cbs is doing the same thing with Star Trek and Amazon already bought out a bunch of the netflix contracts like Doctor Who.

I think the golden Age of Netflix is over

Freya
08-10-2017, 03:45 PM
The thing abotu the star trek thing though is just...

CBS doesn't have the content to try to exclusively put star trek on. People wont pay for it. It wont get good ratings. They'll cancel it and say "well star trek is just not popular anymore" and I wont get any more of it O-O

Shaymin
08-10-2017, 04:43 PM
I dont have high hopes for Discovery even if it wasnt behind a paywall. It feels like it was made by someone who hates Trek...but no it will be the fans fault youre right

Del Murder
08-10-2017, 11:24 PM
My kids watch a ton of Disney, but we just buy the movies on Amazon streaming rather than show them whatever happens to be streaming on Netflix. That way we can download them for on the go travel.

Right now we have Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime Video (comes with Prime so not really a separate thing), and HBO Now (just for GoT season). I don't think I can justify yet another service. And I'm a parent of 3 year olds!

Miriel
08-11-2017, 06:08 AM
Blergh. I hate how this is all splintering up.

Darth Ganon
08-11-2017, 06:34 AM
"Marvel TV shows will remain."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney-will-pull-its-movies-from-netflix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

There are a lot of Disney things i wouldn't mind watching that never appeared on Netflix. Depending on how much the service is I may pick it up for a month or two and binge. Of course they may suspect this and intentionally cycle everything around to avoid people doing it.