PDA

View Full Version : PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds PUBG

Nice
08-12-2017, 05:28 AM
I'm honestly surprised that this thread doesn't already exist. Does anyone here play PUBG (https://www.playbattlegrounds.com/main.pu)?

I've put over 70 hours into the game. It's truly thrilling, not knowing if someone is lurking behind a door or if you are the person behind the door waiting to kill an unsuspecting player.

Anyway, please share your thoughts on this game and your best moments.

Here is one of my favorites (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GbCvb2WeM).

Fox
08-12-2017, 02:26 PM
I have it and have played one match lol.

But I watch streams all the time.

Vyk
08-12-2017, 05:05 PM
I've heard the name, but really have no idea what it is or what it's about. Which is either terrible for their marketing people, or it's just so far off my radar because it doesn't have any over-lap with the things I do like. Even the things mentioned here make me feel "meh" for whatever it is. Killing unsuspecting players and "matches" are not my bag. But I do find it interesting that I've heard the name so many times but don't know anything about it. I think they may have been in gaming news recently over a hack or something. Otherwise I probably would have never heard anything. Which is also weird. I don't like Counter Strike, or Team Fortress, or DOTA or League of Legends, but I know they exist and what they are. But enough rambling from me

Fox
08-12-2017, 11:23 PM
PUBG is such a weird phenomenon. The lead developer cut his teeth on Battle Royale style mods for I think DayZ and H1Z1, which gained popularity within their respective communities but still it was an extremely niche thing. Battlegrounds is the same concept in standalone form and it just exploded in popularity. It's still in Early Access (it launched on Steam in March I think) but it already has over 5 million sales and has the highest concurrent player count on Steam for a non-Valve game.

It's a perfect storm of circumstances - it's exactly the kind of multiplayer game the PC market is hungry for right now, it got picked up by some very popular content creators (mainly Twitch streamers), and it had a passionate community of early adopters from the DayZ/H1Z1 communities who knew PlayerUnknown's work and could signal boost it. And of course it is actually a good game as well that is fairly stable and well polished for a small team releasing an Early Access multiplayer title.

I like that it's much slower paced that most of the other big multiplayer games. The map is big, and players tend to start a long way apart. So there's a lot of downtime where you're looting stuff or finding a good position to fight, so when actual combat does happen you have these short, intense firefights before things slow down again. But as the play area gets smaller over time you encounter other players with increasing frequency, so you get these really nice peaks and valleys in every match, building up towards a big exciting finale.

I also like that relatively speaking there's a lot less pressure than in other games. It's not team A vs team B, where one group wins and one group loses. If you're playing in teams of 4 then there's 25 teams, 24 of whom are going to lose. So there's much less of an expectation of victory, and even just bagging a couple of kills or surviving in the top ten can feel like an accomplishment.

They have been in the gaming news a bit recently as they struggle with too much success. Basically with popularity comes a lot of highly competitive people and a very large and vocal community, and you also get things like stream snipers and streamers exploiting known bugs in order to gain unfair advantages. So the devs are struggling a bit at the moment figuring out if they should be policing these kind of things, and if so how to do it. Also they introduced cosmetic loot crates when they said they wouldn't before the full launch so... yeah. Bits and pieces of controversy.

Nice
08-13-2017, 04:16 AM
I never ever thought that this would be a game I would be interested in. I saw someone play a match and decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot and man was I hooked. I can go weeks without playing this game and then I'd play one match and suddenly be hooked for days. It's a really weird experience. For me, I've never played a game like this before.

I've also become very interested in competitive online multiplayer games recently, like Overwatch, so this game is right up my ally.