PDA

View Full Version : EoFF's Ultimate Character Tournament Round 3 - Cloud vs Red XIII (CLOSED)

Shauna
08-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Cloud Strife, Barret's Hot Date

https://orig00.deviantart.net/562d/f/2009/287/e/a/cloud_strife_by_sandersonia.jpg (https://www.deviantart.com/art/Cloud-Strife-140257559)

VS

Red XIII, Gaia's Eternal Protector

https://img11.deviantart.net/9a85/i/2011/117/3/1/red_xiii_by_echogreens-d3f0j6u.jpg (https://www.deviantart.com/art/Red-XIII-206617638)

Pumpkin
08-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Green

Psychotic
08-18-2017, 06:45 PM
I've said this a dozen times already, but I love Cloud because he tries so hard to play the unwilling straight foil to VII's world of wackiness and comedy. But then when a ridiculous situation that is beyond comprehension arises, like they need someone to cross dress, or to ride a dolphin, or to enter a giant bird race, he's always the first to volunteer and gets stuck in wholeheartedly. Like, "Dress up as a woman? What. That's stupid. ...but I mean if I'm gonna do this thing, I've got to do it right. Now, where can I find some sexy panties to wear to really sell this thing...?"I'm gonna quote this in every thread until Cloud is either eliminated or wins. He's my all time favourite character.

Cloud strizzedy Strife for lizzedy life.

Galuf
08-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Red xiii v cloud lol. Kinda funny cos them 2 have caused like the most controversy here so far. Buuut. Ima go with cloud mcstrife here. I mean. One time I was cloud

Vermachtnis
08-18-2017, 09:11 PM
I still have no idea how Meowbark has made it this far.

Yubel-Lover
08-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Voted for Cloud

Doomie
08-18-2017, 10:20 PM
I voted for Red because he shares his name with Eric Foreman's father in That 70s Show. And because Cloud is the gold-standard for angsty teenage protagonists.

Laddy
08-19-2017, 01:36 AM
Cloud is in his 20's and isn't particularly angsty until shot actually goes down. He's more trying to hard sell everyone on his badassery and failing miserably. If you strip away his Compilation appearances, his personality is surprisingly nuanced.

I voted for Red XIII because sentient dogcat

Psychotic
08-19-2017, 08:14 AM
I voted for Red because he shares his name with Eric Foreman's father in That 70s Show. And because Cloud is the gold-standard for angsty teenage protagonists.Cloud isn't remotely angsty in FFVII. He's not a happy peppy character but then I don't think it's a binary choice of either be Rikku or be angsty. Advent Children maybe - I'd probably say it's more PTSD than general angst but to each their own - but definitely not the game itself.

Doomie
08-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Laddy was definitely closer to what I was getting at; angsty wasn't the right word. I don't think I'd call him nuanced, though. I don't need 'em to be happy/peppy. Vivi wasn't, and neither was Steiner. But what defines his character? If you had to describe Cloud in a sentence, what would it be?

Maybe it's just the games dialogue, but for someone whose village was burned/friend was killed, he's shockingly and frustratingly stoic. Maybe that's just the Jenova cells/trauma, but the constant teetering between deranged and 'imma save the world' seems forced. I prefer Zack, to be honest.

Or maybe I dislike him because Cloud = Squall = Lightning

Psychotic
08-19-2017, 08:32 AM
I am going to sound like a stuck record, but: the unwilling straight foil to VII's world of wackiness and comedy.

Doomie
08-19-2017, 08:43 AM
That's why he's so unimaginable! Furthermore, how am I supposed to believe in his depth as a character if he doesn't, once, express the desire to get laid. I don't care if it's Tifa or Don Corneo, but every human has needs. Seems to me like 98% of FFVII's characters are sexually abstinent.

Wolf Kanno
08-19-2017, 09:20 AM
That's why he's so unimaginable! Furthermore, how am I supposed to believe in his depth as a character if he doesn't, once, express the desire to get laid. I don't care if it's Tifa or Don Corneo, but every human has needs. Seems to me like 98% of FFVII's characters are sexually abstinent.

I think this ones' easy, I mean a guy doesn't carry around something like the Buster Sword if he's not compensating for something. Maybe he's simply afraid Tifa or Barret will laugh...

Even though I don't care for either of them, the idea of Cloud getting knocked out by Red XIII does amuse me.

Psychotic
08-19-2017, 09:32 AM
That's why he's so unimaginable! Furthermore, how am I supposed to believe in his depth as a character if he doesn't, once, express the desire to get laid. I don't care if it's Tifa or Don Corneo, but every human has needs. Seems to me like 98% of FFVII's characters are sexually abstinent.Cloud and Tifa clearly banged when everyone left them alone under the Highwind that night before the North Crater.

Doomie
08-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Touché.

maybee
08-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Voted for orange doggo.

Don't really like newer version of Cloud.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-19-2017, 12:41 PM
As much as I do like Cloud, and agree with Pauw about the comedic scenes created by using him as "the straight man", I like Red XIII quite a bit and I think him trying to walk around in a sailor suit is one of the best parts of the game.

I'm disregarding later Cloud appearances because Square loves to hit reset on any sort of character development.

Vermachtnis
08-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Right? And don't like compilation Cloud either. At the end of VII he's all, "Let's mosey." Then come Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children, he's all "Sephiroth is the darkness crawling in my skin." I've said it before, but I prefer the dorky straight man to whatever he's become.

Psychotic
08-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Right? And don't like compilation Cloud either. At the end of VII he's all, "Let's mosey." Then come Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children, he's all "Sephiroth is the darkness crawling in my skin." I've said it before, but I prefer the dorky straight man to whatever he's become.The worst thing about all this is that we all know full well exactly which version of Cloud is going to be in the remake.

Shauna
08-19-2017, 05:13 PM
And with a quick chat to my secret tie breaker - CLOUD GOES THROUGH!

Psychotic
08-19-2017, 05:18 PM
And with a quick chat to my secret tie breaker - CLOUD GOES THROUGH!MY BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY

steiner is totes eating him alive tho