PDA

View Full Version : If you only have one eye are you winking or blinking?

Freya
08-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Coworker asked me this about Mike Wazowski from Monsters Ink. Now I'm not sure.

qwertysaur
08-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Yes

Darth Ganon
08-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Mike Wazowski!

Bubba
08-19-2017, 01:14 PM
My ex-girlfriend was unable to wink. Whenever she tries it she just ended up blinking both eyes. Whenever she wanted to convey a wink, she would give her head a quick tilt when she blinked. No-one ever noticed.

I think the answer to this question depends entirely on whether a head tilt is involved.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-19-2017, 02:01 PM
People who want to base it on what they see seem to forget that the cyclops has agency. Selfish.

The distinction between a blink and a wink for a cyclops depends wholly upon the intentions of the cyclops.

If the closing and subsequent opening of his eye occurs involuntarily due to a dry feeling in his eye or because a gnat has flown into his eye, etc., the action should be classified as a blink. If on the other hand, the cyclops is using the shutting and opening of his eye as a means of subtle non-verbal communication including but not limited to flirting with a lady cyclops, the action should be classified as a wink.

Formalhaut
08-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Yeah but a wink doesn't even have to be romantic in nature. Maybe the wink is a 'knowing' aside wink.

Freya
08-21-2017, 07:09 PM
But you wink by closing one eye. So if you only have one eye, can you not wink?

Formalhaut
08-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Truly a question for the philosophers, this.

Mr. Carnelian
08-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Blinking is (most of the time) involuntary. Winking is a vountary act. Therefore, you can be either blinking or winking even with a single eye. Solved! :kaocheer::plumcheer::cheer::moogle::chocobo:

Formalhaut
08-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Blinking is (most of the time) involuntary. Winking is a vountary act. Therefore, you can be either blinking or winking even with a single eye. Solved! :kaocheer::plumcheer::cheer::moogle::chocobo:

That doesn't help, how can the recipient of the wink/blink tell which is which?

qwertysaur
08-21-2017, 08:25 PM

That doesn't help, how can the recipient of the wink/blink tell which is which?
If you have to ask, you will never know. :aimkiss:

Sephex
08-24-2017, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I need to look at this myself. Okay, give me a second.

Alright, so I spent about 10 minutes in the bathroom with one hand covered over my eye. With the uncovered eye, I tried to only partially close my eye horizontally, if that makes sense. Think a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figure. Like the ones with the mouth all grrrrr, but the mouth is only part way open. I tried to do that with my eye. I tried to do what the picture below is with my damn eye.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71ialTcha9L._SY450_.jpg

I...sort of knew this going in, but yeah, it doesn't work. If you have one eye your default state is blinking.

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/9302e06d7b1e78d244bebeeb73a00ee4ace_duck.jpg

This has nothing to do with anything, but I found it when google searching the turtle figure and it made me laugh my ass off.