PDA

View Full Version : American Horror Story: Cult

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Based on the trailer, I'm really looking forward to the introduction of Billie Lourd and the way she interacts with Evan Peters. The trailer also has a few Twisty the Clown references.

Premieres September 5th, so right around the corner.

Ryan Murphy confirmed that the season will be connected to Freak Show; but will be set in modern day. The season will revolve around the 2016 U.S. election and be representative of both sides of the political divide. He also said that he will be "illuminating and highlighting" groups of people he believes to be "ignored by the current [Trump] administration and who are afraid and feel terrorized that their lives are going to be taken away."

It was confirmed that the season would be set in the aftermath of the presidential election, with the first episode taking place on election night. Murphy explained it will be about "the fallout of that night, which to many people, from all sides of the camps is a horror story." He also stated "Horror Story is always about allegory, so the election is allegory." Archive footage of the election night is going to be used in the season premiere.

The opening sequence of the series will return in this season, following its absence in Roanoke.

FphDfjwLZ-E

Shauna
08-23-2017, 05:20 PM
I look forward to being disappointed again.

Jinx
08-23-2017, 05:34 PM

Jinx
08-23-2017, 05:35 PM
I already hate Sarah Paulson's character and hope she dies.

Psychotic
08-23-2017, 06:15 PM

Psychotic
08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
I already hate Sarah Paulson's character and hope she dies.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-23-2017, 07:24 PM
The opening credits.

I think Coven still takes the cake for creepiest, but it's nice to have credits back after missing them last season.

B0csnVQ0ZKA

Depression Moon
08-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Damn Shauna. I don't see what's culty about that trailer.

Shauna
08-24-2017, 12:51 PM
:shobon:

Honestly, I really enjoy like 60% of AHS and then it just drops off for the rest of the season. I am usually watching the finale feeling "Is that it".

Night Fury
08-24-2017, 01:23 PM
The trailer looks great.

It probably reflects about 5% of what's happening and the rest will be some really convoluted ridiculousness which ruins the whole thing, and just slowly gets worse over the course of the season...

Sound about right?

Jinx
08-24-2017, 03:13 PM
Honestly, the more intertwined the seasons become, the less interest I have. Connecting the seasons weakens the series, not makes it stronger.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Alright i'm 5 seconds in. I never do this with shows, but as soon as something ridiculous happens i'm going to pause the tv and go in the computer room and type something.

-We open up on some archived news footage and "I'm not gonna believe this until Rachel Maddow confirms it"

-Character immediately blames protest voters for the Trump win. Take that, people who genuinely liked...Jill Stein, is their culprit? Okay. Also people who'd rather spend time on Etsy.

-Hahaha Evan Peters put on literal crushed Cheetos as face paint

-You need a trigger warning in case you don't want to hear information that the entire world is waiting for and would be unavoidable to hear within 24 hours. I get not wanting to hear information that might be traumatic to you on the spot, but I mean, what would the trigger warning be? Donald Trump might win? You already knew that.

This is just before the opening credits.

-We open up to a picnic blanket in the woods in what appears to be a similiar scene of the first Twisty the Clown appearance in Freakshow. Calling it now as a movie scene or something. Yep! It's John Carroll Lynch. That's actually pretty cool. Hey girl, if you're running away from a masked killer, maybe don't try to hide in the abandoned school bus that looks like it has been occupied as a living space. Well, turns out it was a comic book strip. Almost called it.

-I feel like Sarah Paulson has already screamed more than Evan Peters did in Coven. And that was like 90% of his dialogue that season.

-"I see you 4chan guys now think it's okay to come out in public since Papa Bear Trump told you it's fine now."

-"We're not scared, you're the ones who are scared". Uhhh, Sarah Paulson sure as smurf looks scared.

-The election night has reawakened Sarah's fear of clowns. As well as coral. Not the coral itself, but the fact that there's so many holes in it. Probably a reference to the beehives of the show's promo material, and having a hive mind at large.

-Chaz Bono the republican grocery store cashier randomly decides to put on MAGA hat mid-work shift so we can scare the trout out of Sarah Paulson one more time.

-I can't tell if the son is one of the vampire kids from Hotel or not

-Oh trout Sarah was one of the previously mentioned Jill Stein voters. This is causing a rift in her marriage. Not gonna lie, I didn't see that twist coming. I thought she would have been true blue for Hillary.

-I'm actually glad Evan Peters threw his drink on them so we could end that scene

-The most difficult pain Billie has ever experienced is when she let Scotty Nickels do anal. Amen, sister.

-It was also the most intense pleasure too. Amen, sister.

-Probably the first time someone nailed a babysitting gig by saying they got a retweet from Lena Dunham.

-"Was there blood and poop"

-I honestly can't say how I would react to someone pissing in a condom and then throwing it at my vehicle. It's not something you plan for. I do like the implied social commentary of people recording minorities doing bad things, but only after leaving out the part where they were antagonized.

-t~w~i~t~t~e~r

-Alright i'm confused. Billie seems to be there babysitting like under the spell of her brother or something. Wasn't this same person triggered that Trump won the election? What happened that made her jump to this character who shows the deep web to children? That one pinky swear conversation?

-Imaginary clowns beating off

-Ivy went from sympathy to "I'm tired of your bulltrout" real quick. If you're hate watching this show, Sarah Paulson's girlfriend might be your hero.

-So Sarah isn't the only person seeing these clowns. The clowns the son saw out the window were identical to the ones in the supermarket. But they weren't there, right? Maybe some of them are real. Not the one beating off in the restaurant, though. The show is also apparently based on The Purge.

-"Stop the car, stop the car". As opposed to what? Running into the sideways parked police car 10 feet in front of you? Or did you think she would see the flashing lights in front of your house and immediately do a 180 and get the hell out of there.

-Hey, I've got an idea! Let's take a child outside at night and investigate the abandoned ice cream truck in the middle of the road! You know what, let's take it a step further and peer into the windows of the house where the SCREAMS ARE COMING FROM. To her credit, she seems to only be babysitting for mischievous reasons, anyway.

-Hey it's that Asian family. RIP Etsy wife. RIP guy who doesn't like Evan Peters. Must mean Evan is one of the clown guys.

-Murder suicide? Get the smurf out of here. Even if the son were suffering the same illusions as his mother, it doesn't explain why the clowns they see look identical.

Alright that's it. As you can see I paused and ran into the other room like 30 times.

If you've watched American Horror Story before you already know what you're getting yourself into. You'll be watching this with the lense of "it's so bad I can't look away". Naturally, I love this show, because I'm a horror media garbage can and I frequently enjoy bad movies with ratings of 1.5 stars (whaddup Death Note).

I like things even though I can tell you what's wrong with them I guess. And in the case of this show, it's A LOT OF THINGS.

Shauna
09-06-2017, 12:22 PM
It's out? Man I'll need to see what's going on with all my shows!

Jinx
09-06-2017, 02:01 PM
For a show that stans hard for liberals and liberal values, it seems like they're really taking a dump on Tumblrinas this season. And I am so on board with that.

Shauna
09-06-2017, 07:02 PM
it is time

Shauna
09-06-2017, 07:21 PM
I feel sorry for all the peeps with trypophobia. All these irregular hole patterns.

Shauna
09-06-2017, 07:49 PM
11/10 hot garbage

I don't even know what they're doing at this point

Psychotic
09-06-2017, 07:49 PM
I wonder what will happen first: Sarah Paulson says "I am literally shaking right now" or Evan Peters calls someone a cuck.

Jinx
09-06-2017, 08:49 PM
I wonder what will happen first: Sarah Paulson says "I am literally shaking right now" or Evan Peters calls someone a cuck.

ily

I wasn't going to watch this today, as I've been in a really bad headspace (anxiety and paranoia) but I'm feeling a bit better and it sounds so fucking awful it might actually cheer me up some. xD

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-07-2017, 11:31 PM
The characters themselves are like caricatures of real political thoughts cranked up to 11.

After letting this episode settle in a bit, I feel like you'll appreciate it more if you treat it like a grandiose carnival ride.

Given its political slant, I went in on this series expecting to take it more seriously than previous seasons and trying to dig out political nuance. That was a mistake. So when the clowns come in and there's dramatic music over scenes that are seemingly silly, I keep in mind that they're intentionally outrageous and over the top.

Jinx
09-08-2017, 12:15 AM
I hope they've done that to lull you into a false sense of security before they actually make it scary as shit.

BUT, this IS American Horror Story. So no. xD

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-17-2017, 06:24 AM
So any chance one of our main characters is secretly a masked clown?

I think they're trying to make it apparent that Kai is probably the ringleader. But a lot of people think Ivy is a clown, too. The only thing missing is motive. But she always seems to be absent when the clowns are around and it would explain why they're randomly drawn to Ally's house.

How bad does a babysitter gotta be before you fire her? First episode, she lets the boy run across the street to the murder scene. Second episode, she leaves him alone with the new neighbors of said house. Then she diddles you in the bathtub.

You know what, never mind. Leave her on full time.

Psychotic
09-20-2017, 05:43 PM
I fucking hate this show. Guinea pigs are the best animals and worth a thousand SJW tumblrina wackos. It should've been you, Sarah Paulson, it should've been you :colbert:

Jinx
09-20-2017, 08:03 PM
guinea pigs are nasty

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-20-2017, 08:13 PM
The characters themselves are like caricatures of real political thoughts cranked up to 11.

After letting this episode settle in a bit, I feel like you'll appreciate it more if you treat it like a grandiose carnival ride.

Given its political slant, I went in on this series expecting to take it more seriously than previous seasons and trying to dig out political nuance. That was a mistake. So when the clowns come in and there's dramatic music over scenes that are seemingly silly, I keep in mind that they're intentionally outrageous and over the top.

After a few episodes I'm doubling, nah, tripling down on this mindset.

I've enjoyed this show a lot more once I treated it like a dark comedy with horror elements. There's no way some of the dark scenes in this episode weren't intentionally hilarious. Sombreros at the door? Get out.

Psychotic
09-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Now we're getting somewhere with the whole cult thing.

Shauna
10-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Okay I really liked this last episode for some reason.

I mean, it was all complete garbage as per, but I was engaged!

This is it, it has peaked.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Ivy always seems to be absent when the clowns are around and it would explain why they're randomly drawn to Ally's house.

:smug:

Ivy is a clown theory going full speed ahead.

And her computer password is Clownz, which they kind of glossed over in the first episode like it was a throw away. But it totally wasn't a throw away.

At no point during the babysitter hiring process did she acknowledge "Ah, you're here, we tied up a grocery store clerk in a basement". She knew she was coming in for the job.

The question is does the AHS crew think they're still pulling the wool over our heads or are these revelations supposed to be so obvious it hurts.

Psychotic
10-02-2017, 07:39 AM
And didn't we see Kai doing his whole power of voodoo thing to her all the way back in episode 1?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-14-2017, 05:38 AM
This show doesn't really have a protagonist. I guess it's supposed to be Ally in the sense that she seems to be the only character that isn't involved with the clowns, but she's been slapped with as many over the top political stereotypes as everyone else.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-19-2017, 02:24 AM
I don't have much to add to the Lena Dunham episode.

Let's just say she was cast well. Saying ridiculous things about men is certainly in her wheelhouse.

Psychotic
10-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Ugh every time I think a season of AHS could be a good one they go and pull some cringy shit. It never goes well when they try to bring real historical people into it. FFS they even had the Zodiac in Hotel! It was dumb then and it's dumb now.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-01-2017, 05:05 PM
"I'm not going to enter you, he's going to enter you and i'm going to enter him."

sIzLRNSQJsE

Shauna
11-01-2017, 06:22 PM
As of the last two episodes, this season has dived off the deep end into "ugh why" for me.

Jinx
11-01-2017, 07:59 PM
I haven't been watching

so basically it's like every other season of AHS

YUKmq7UMJys

Shauna
11-01-2017, 09:03 PM
P much

Psychotic
11-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Pepe the frog getting name checked on actual television what a time to be alive.

But honestly they've tried to do too much, like they've just bolted on this alt-right/SJW riffing onto a cult story and it doesn't work at all.

Shauna
11-11-2017, 11:36 AM
I actually have no idea what's happening anymore

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-12-2017, 03:33 AM
The best part of online interaction about this show is all the people arguing about how "only their side is being represented badly" and the crazy behavior on the other side is accurate.

Evan Peters calls someone a cuck.

10 episodes in but you called it.

Psychotic
11-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Something I'm starting to hate about AHS is that the self-appointed good guys - and usually by extension Sarah Paulson - always win and it's getting predictable. The ol' you-got-me-oh-wait-psyche trick has been used in how many finales by her characters now? Asylum, Coven, Freak Show and now Cult.

And she straight up got away with murdering Ivy with zero consequence or repercussion! When you have me rooting for an actual honest to god fascist sociopath to shoot you then ughhhhhh.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-17-2017, 04:18 AM
This was probably one of the best seasons they've ever done. Having parody personalities of actual cranked up political opinions made every absurd thing that happened intentional and funny. They should lean into that more. People always rag on them for being ridiculous so they should just keep going down the dark comedy route.

I think Ally putting on the SCUM robe at the end basically represented that she was going to be the equal opposite of Kai and instead of having an Alt-Right Nazi in charge they moved to having a radical feminist in charge. I guess it's a warning about having too much of anything unchecked is really bad.

I agree about feeling this is a similar character route for Sarah Paulson that we've seen before.

Shauna
11-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Oh it's over.

At least it didn't end as abruptly as the last season did.