PDA

View Full Version : Words you frequently misspell

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-05-2017, 05:18 AM
I often spell separate as seperate until the red spell check line reminds me it's wrong.

Bubba
09-05-2017, 08:27 AM
I used the word "manoeuvres" over in the staff forum and retyped it at least five times before I got pissed off and used a different word. I then thought "No, this word will not defeat me" so I looked it up.

Other ones include diarrhoea, Caribbean, vicious and yes... separate.

MJN SEIFER
09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
I often have to think about "necessary" and "necessarily", which in the past I was so bad at spelling, the Spell Check didn't even know what I was trying to say. I'm never quite sure where the hell the "u" is meant to go in "restaurant".

FFNut
09-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Can I just st say all f them and autocorrect is a lifesaver for you all.

Freya
09-05-2017, 02:20 PM
I typo From as Form often. Not intentionally but because of how these dang fingers of mine move!

Fynn
09-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Nothing comes to mind. My typing skills are prefetc.

Bubba
09-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Nothing comes to mind. My typing skills are prefetc.

You are the closest thing you can get to infullable.

Darth Ganon
09-05-2017, 06:03 PM
'During' and 'referring' are a couple of my most common. One has one R where as the other has two and I never remember which.

'Tomorrow' trips me up more than I'd like to admit. I use to be thrown off as to whether it was two M's or R's until I created a little mind trick (tom-ARE-ow), but I still second guess if the second O is really an A sometimes.

My most common typo is 'have' which ends up being 'hvae' more often than not.

I'm just an awful speller in general, so I'm always taking the time to double check when I don't have spellcheck to back me up.

Galuf
09-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Literaly every word when I type. And sincr all I do is type..... then yeah.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-05-2017, 08:51 PM
I'd rather have a whole paragraph of typos over a person who desperately needs to inform you that you've misspelled something. It always comes off as pretentious.

It always has less to do with wanting to actually fix a typo, and more to do with them wanting to let you know how smart they are.

I am here to inform you, with all of my profound wisdom of grammar and the English language, that it is "that", in fact, and not "taht".

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Also,

I tend to type embarrassed with either one r or one s.

Chibi Youkai
09-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Anything that would be spelled differently between British and American English. Had some British teachers in middle school, and now many words have an extra u. Colour, favourite, etc.

Rocket Edge
09-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Anything that would be spelled differently between British and American English. Had some British teachers in middle school, and now many words have an extra u. Colour, favourite, etc.
This. Defence, defense? :/

Doomie
09-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Exaggerate. Couldn't remember the number of r's and g's. I was so embarrassed, as a lit teacher, that I couldn't remember how to spell this word, so I invented a trick. I'm counting down from my own stupidity every time I try to spell exaggerate: two g's, one r, zero mistakes. Never made one again.

Diarrhea is the other one.

Darth Ganon
09-06-2017, 09:49 PM
I forgot that 'restaurant' is another one until I had to spell it after replying to this thread. Also 'refrigerator.' I always want to try and cram a 'D' in there (SHUT UP ALL OF YOU) because of 'fridge.'

Chris
09-11-2017, 08:50 AM
I like "girls". It was a mistake. Repeated, quite often.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-17-2017, 07:05 AM
I tried spelling never mind as one word and just assumed it was because of the culturally recognizable Nirvana album.

Shauna
09-17-2017, 06:46 PM
I don't spell word incorrectly.

Fox
09-18-2017, 02:00 AM
"Practice" and "Practise." Even as I type it, spellcheck has (wrongly) put a red line under the second one.

But this isn't a simple British vs American English snafu, this word is spelled differently depending on whether it is a verb or a noun. So in the sentence: "She will practise her skills during the practice session," both spellings are correct.

Now I think about it, any 'c' vs 's' causes trouble. I broke about a dozen links to documents at work the other day by doing a find and replace on 'licence' with the British spelling 'license.'