PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, SMURF high-gloss furniture

Fynn
09-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Why the smurf

I mean

Do you guys realize how hard it is to find furniture nowadays that isn't polished to the point that it smurfing blinds you every time the sun rises? What is the deal? Why do people want their cabinets to look like Mr. Clean's shiny bald head? Is regular wood not good enough for you? Do your bathroom cabinets have to look like they're made of 24 karat gold and essence of donkey testicles so you can feel like Kim Smurfing Kardashian every time you go to take a dump???!!!

I don't like high gloss furniture. But, unfortunately for me, 90% of all furniture available in stores now are high-gloss. Needless to say, it's hard to find the thing I want at a reasonable price because of this.

Any other furniture trends that bother you guys?

EDIT: Also, if you like leather furniture, you are dead to me

Formalhaut
09-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Just wear sunglasses. Problem solved. :cool:

Freya
09-06-2017, 08:33 PM
There was this I dunno twead? kinda thing for couches. And pleather. Like, my dogs WILL destroy that. Nope. Nope.

Chibi Youkai
09-07-2017, 03:04 AM
Glossy furniture is evil. So is glass and stainless steel. Anything that you have to constantly wipe down to keep the finger prints off of is just wrong. Why have something that's so non-functional? Seriously, if you spend more time keeping it clean than using it, what's its' worth?

Fynn
09-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Glossy furniture is evil. So is glass and stainless steel. Anything that you have to constantly wipe down to keep the finger prints off of is just wrong. Why have something that's so non-functional? Seriously, if you spend more time keeping it clean than using it, what's its' worth?

You are now officially my spirit animal

I also hate glass surfaces because I'm always way too stressed out about them breaking. Why would you do that to yourself?

Mr. Carnelian
09-07-2017, 09:30 AM

You are now officially my spirit animal

I also hate glass surfaces because I'm always way too stressed out about them breaking. Why would you do that to yourself?

If I had a glass coffee table, I guarantee that at some point I would trip over and land face-first in the middle of it.

Me + breakable furniture = inevitable destruction

Sephex
09-07-2017, 05:54 PM
HEARD YOU WERE TALKING trout ABOUT MY FAMILY, FYNN

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Oec2QmcFQPQ/UUKCYGU87iI/AAAAAAAAEbc/wufENuzq4i8/s1600/OldNavypainteddresser.jpg

Fynn
09-08-2017, 08:10 AM
That's still tame tho

Now this genuinely offends me

https://amishdirectfurniture.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Knightsbridge-Pink-Gloss.jpg

Mr. Carnelian
09-08-2017, 09:20 AM
That's still tame tho

Now this genuinely offends me

https://amishdirectfurniture.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Knightsbridge-Pink-Gloss.jpg

Before I left for Uni, when I still lived with my Mum, our kitchen had cupboards like this, as well as a shiny faux-marblely type counter-top. So much time wasted polishing...

Fynn
09-08-2017, 09:28 AM
omg marble also grinds my gears like crazy so it sounds like your kitchen would be absolute hell for me

Mr. Carnelian
09-08-2017, 01:44 PM
omg marble also grinds my gears like crazy so it sounds like your kitchen would be absolute hell for me

Fortunately, my and Formy's current kitchen, and the flat as a whole, is a high-gloss free zone. Huzzah! :cheer:

Fynn
09-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Thank God you guys don't have terrible taste then

Psychotic
09-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Oh man I love high gloss furniture and marble. My house is full of it.

Fynn
09-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Dead to me

Psychotic
09-08-2017, 03:22 PM
I actually made that up just to see how angry you'd be with me. You didn't disappoint! :flirt:

Fynn
09-08-2017, 03:22 PM
i mean i was pretty fucking stoic by my standards but whatever gets you off man

Pumpkin
09-08-2017, 07:49 PM
I hate leather. Its sticky and super temperature sensitive so like if I get in sharky's car when its hot and I have a dress or something I scald my legs. And when I sit on the leather couch it sticks to my skin sometimes and jut ugh

UGH

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-09-2017, 04:00 AM
You mean you don't like the sleek and smooth look of furniture that would throw you into the next room if you got a running start and slid across it?

qwertysaur
09-09-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm pretty neutral about furniture, but I'm going to have whiteboard walls when I get my apartment. :bigsmile:

theundeadhero
09-12-2017, 05:49 AM
If you never polish it the gloss goes away. Eventually :up:

Formalhaut
09-12-2017, 11:14 PM
I hate leather. Its sticky and super temperature sensitive so like if I get in sharky's car when its hot and I have a dress or something I scald my legs. And when I sit on the leather couch it sticks to my skin sometimes and jut ugh

UGH

Leather seats in cars can just smurf off. I remember my brother's old, black car with black leather seats. Gosh I felt so sick in that because of the heat and smell.

Aulayna
09-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Having lived in many rental apartments with many different variations in furnishing, I just go for whatever looks good.

Honestly I found high-gloss, especially in darker or more neutral colours, to be far less maintenance requiring than natural wood etc. For me natural wood (why am I giggling as I type that...) just always seems to collect dust more easily and looks dirtier far quickly.

Though I've never really been a fan of more traditional furniture style, reminds me too much of being at distant relatives houses during the winter, roasting because the heating was up too high and being bored out of my mind. xD

Some people can make it work, but eh, I prefer something more sleek and modern looking.