PDA

View Full Version : Do you still use an actual PS1 to play PS1 games?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-08-2017, 05:54 PM
If i'm playing a physical disc of a PS1 game I just put it in my PS2. Given the direction games are going, you can play most games digitally on a modern console or computer.

It made me wonder, does anyone still dust off the classic gray console and play on it? I still have mine, but it hasn't been used in 10 to 15 years at least.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-08-2017, 06:33 PM
I don't have mine anymore (I let someone borrow it in middle or high school and never saw it again). The only reason I would play on it is if a game had compatibility issues with the ps2 and PS3, which I think would be pretty rare. I was having issues with the video cable or port on mine back then in which the cable had to be plugged in just exactly right or the video would get all weird, so that made it pretty inconvenient.

Pumpkin
09-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Mine is hooked up an everything so yeah. A few games won't play properly on the PS3 and since the PS1 is all hooked up, I just use it instead of the PS2

Freya
09-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Yeah sometimes a PS2 wont work with PS1 games. I used to plug my ps1 in to play old games but I haven't played nay old games in a few years

maybee
09-09-2017, 12:30 AM
I tried to play Spyro a few years ago on the old PSONE, but it looked really bad on the tv.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-09-2017, 03:49 AM
Yeah sometimes a PS2 wont work with PS1 games.

Do you have the big brick? I figured the backwards compatibility problem was solved when the slim came out.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-09-2017, 03:55 AM
I think it still had issues with some games, but I'm not sure.

Shaymin
09-09-2017, 04:29 AM
I have some foreign fighting games for ps1 that will only work with the old school ps1. Still been a few years though.

Wolf Kanno
09-09-2017, 05:34 AM
I still have my PS1, but due to backwards compatibility on the PS2, it has not seen much action since the early 2000s.

Edge7
09-09-2017, 08:00 AM
I bought a PS1 to take with me to college (so my brother could play on our PS2 after I left), but once I had the money to buy a used PS2, I haven't really touched it. I'll still use it occasionally, if only to hear that classic boot up

Darth Ganon
09-10-2017, 04:56 AM
It's been a while since I played any, but if I did I would probably use my PS2. I have a GameStop brand controller for it that is actually really nice, so I'd want to use that instead of the originals.

Raistlin
09-10-2017, 08:40 PM
I haven't even tried to hook up my PS1 in years. I briefly tried to get my PS2 working on a modern TV, but quickly just gave up and used my PS3.

Old Manus
09-10-2017, 09:12 PM
I can barely even remember the last time I played a PS1 (or PS2) game on a console.

Crop
09-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Yeah I need to. I still play C&C Red Alert with Link Play sometimes.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Yeah sometimes a PS2 wont work with PS1 games.

Do you have the big brick? I figured the backwards compatibility problem was solved when the slim came out.

I know I've mentioned it in similar threads, but my copy of Xenogears would always lock up on one of the later boss fights. I think it was Dues? Anyway, it locked up on multiple variations of PS2s I tried.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Now that I think about it, I do remember one backwards compatibility problem I had.

On disc 2 of The Legend of Dragoon during the water dragon fight, if any of your characters transform your game will freeze during the post-battle cutscene. I think that was pretty universal for everyone who tried it.

As a general rule, the slim was better than the brick for compatibility. Even for some ps2 games themselves. Games with blue discs had trouble reading on the brick.

Shauna
09-11-2017, 05:32 PM
The PS1 was my sister's, so she has it.

PS2 does the job.

Chibi Youkai
09-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Mine finally died a couple years ago, sadly. Up until then, yes. Still have on of the mini-PS2's that I take on extended work trips, though.

krissy
09-12-2017, 03:49 AM
i just bought cool borders 2000 in the local thrift

it was not a great decision but here we are

my psx still works great, it's a refurb, so bits are falling off it (in it, i can hear them shake), but it will still spin n play anything i put in there

Fynn
09-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Confession: I never actually had a PS1

Freya
09-12-2017, 04:10 PM
I went through 3 PS2's. The laser eye always went out on me. So now that I think about it, I did pull out my PS1 often to replay older games.

Elly
09-14-2017, 11:30 AM
when my first PlayStation died i replaced it with a PSone, i made sure to get the attachable monitor for it too, and with how PSX/one looks on modern TVs i'm glad i did... now it sits on my computer desk fully hooked up and ready to play anytime i feel like playing a PSone classic, the games look really good on the tiny official monitor that was made for it, way better than on the TV... so, yeah, i do still use my PSone... wish they made an official monitor for the PS2 cause it looks really nasty on non-CRT televisions...

Sephex
09-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Not often, but I do. I have one of those newer models (I had an old one, but it has long since stopped working) that lets you attach a small screen to it. Funny thing is, I got the newer model as a gift and just happened to find a used screen in good condition a couple of years later. Since I have a Vita, that's usually my go-to choice to play original PlayStation games on the go, but if I don't feel like emulating or if I can't, gotta go with the original hardware.

DMKA
09-16-2017, 02:57 AM
Nah. I emulate.

I haven't hooked my PS1 up in well over ten years, now that I think about it.

Example
10-31-2017, 09:24 AM
Nah mine doesn't even work anymore, it just sits on the shelf gathering dust now. I use a PS2 instead.

Uchu
11-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Yes. Actually bought a new console for that very purpose last year.

Was in the mood to play some of my JP games that I have and managed to find a like-new console for 500 yen. Was an absolute steal and works like a charm. I love playing retro games on the original hardware whenever possible.

Gotta love that starting up sound :D.

gF4dDYREZ2Q

Ahh, yea--h! :cool:

Aulayna
11-07-2017, 12:17 AM
I don't have my PSone or PS2 anymore alas. Or even my PS3 for that matter...

Galuf
11-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Yeah because one day I came back from holiday and my ps2 couldnt read ps1 games anymore. Its ok ps1 can skip cutscenes if the game crashes. Ps2 will reset the game if you open the tray

Loony BoB
11-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Nope.

Anemone
11-09-2017, 07:14 PM
My PS1 is looong gone. I use a Vita now.

Mercen-X
11-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Indeed I do. My first station went to crap after about a year and I had to replace it with the "slim". My PS2 went out about 2-3 years later and I had to get another slim. Now my PS2 slim has stopped spinning so I only have my PS1 left. Mind you, I have a fairly decent collection of PS1 games but my PS2 library was so much bigger. I've looked into getting a replacement but I never have the right funds when a good one turns up available.

Something I learned early is that although PS2 was reverse-compatible with PS1 games, that didn't wholly translate if that PS1 game was allowing you to play games from older systems like NES, Sega, or Atari. For example, when I played PS1's Final Fantasy Chronicles (Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger) or Origins (1&2) or Anthology (V&VI), eventually I'd find a glitch which would not allow me to enter or leave a room, usually after having saved or loaded a game.

Now, I can only think about Final Fantasy VII... and the remake.