PDA

View Full Version : Great game, but that awful ending...

Wolf Kanno
09-10-2017, 09:47 AM
What are some RPGs that you love, but kind of felt like the ending was pretty meh or just plain awful?

Bubba
09-10-2017, 04:17 PM
The second and third games were more shooters than RPGs but I only recently finished it and I'm still a little sore about it.

Mass Effect 3 :colbert:

Psychotic
09-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Pumpkin
09-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Eternal Sonata

Forsaken Lover
09-10-2017, 09:07 PM
I've always considered FFVII's ending to be extremely weak, even back when I first played the game and was a huge fanboy.

Chibi Youkai
09-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Legend of Dragoon. The entire game was pretty awesome, but the end felt like a horrible cop-out.

Wolf Kanno
09-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Persona 4 comes to mind, I liked the game more or less, but the ending left me a bit bitter. I'll second Legend of Dragoon and Mass Effect 3.

FFTA2 is another, it starts off promising and then the plot just kind of meanders until it decides to end.

Edge7
09-11-2017, 10:36 PM
This has more to do with the game's balance than its story/ending, but after so many years of listening to Dancing Mad and imagining what the fight must be like, I wish Final Fantasy VI's final dungeon was a lot more difficult. For reference, I replayed FFIV over the summer, and that final dungeon still kicks ass, even after doing all the side content (all three quests, lol)! Ah well, that's what fan hacks and challenge runs are for.

Considering that I'm actually terrible at seeing RPGs all the way through, I can't really contribute to this conversation beyond that. Story-wise I've yet to play an RPG with an ending that failed to deliver. I will say as a non-RPG example, getting to the end of Jak 3 and discovering that the Precursor's were ottsels all along and they had wavering faith in Jak's abilities and were considering a Plan B caused my eleven year old self to turn the game off and lie awake in bed knowing that the revelation to one of the biggest mysteries of my then-favorite game series was done through a series of cheap gags in one tacked-on cutscene.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Legend of Dragoon. The entire game was pretty awesome, but the end felt like a horrible cop-out.

This is my favorite game.

What part didn't you like about the end?

Fynn
09-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Child of Light. You could tell the last act was insanely rushed and dungeons were cut out.

Shaymin
09-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Indigo Prophecy hasnt aged well at all but I was enjoying it fairly well at the time and it just spirals into absolute insanity at the finish line. I found out later that the budget ran out as an explanation for part of the rushed aspect but even if it didnt it still wouldve been terrible.

Final Fantasy 1's ending is so incredibly stupid it's actually kind of charming.

Fynn
09-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Idk, FFI at least tried to make it a twist at a time when video game stories amounted to "kill bad guy -> congrats u win"

Skyblade
09-12-2017, 03:18 PM

This. SOOOOOOOO much this.

FFTA2 is another, it starts off promising and then the plot just kind of meanders until it decides to end.

It wastes way too many missions on tutorials that aren't important, then suddenly slams the entire last 70% of the story into the last three missions.

Fynn
09-12-2017, 03:21 PM
I mean, the main story is also pretty garbage in general sooooooo

Skyblade
09-12-2017, 05:55 PM
I mean, the main story is also pretty garbage in general sooooooo

It is, but it felt like it had some good potential. The problem is, things were just barely getting set up before they rammed the entire story through in one or two cutscenes and skipped to the end.

Pete for President
09-13-2017, 02:26 AM
Child of Light. You could tell the last act was insanely rushed and dungeons were cut out.

I remember the setting for the last dungeons being awesome but the ending coming as a complete surprise. While the exit cutscene was decent IIRC, the boss was just very sudden and not very hard either.

Freya
09-13-2017, 06:58 PM

Eternal Sonata

Yeah these two.

Chibi Youkai
09-15-2017, 04:42 PM

This is my favorite game.

What part didn't you like about the end?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adored the game. It had a unique plot, and was a lot of fun. It's just that the ending seemed so very forced, and out of the blue. It's been a long time since I played it, but I just remember being absolutely crushed about the ending, and thinking that it was just kind of spat out, and could have been better.

Pike
09-15-2017, 11:10 PM
So is someone going to rename the thread to "Mass Effect 3 General Discussion" or

ham
10-12-2017, 10:01 AM
I don't know if Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be considered an RPG but the ending disappointed me.

Convercide
11-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Eternal Sonata

I'd agree with this. ES had an excellent battle mechanic and had an exceptional art style. But then just fell flat at the end.

Nicol Bolas
11-20-2017, 05:05 AM
I was a little disappointed with FF III. I just felt they could of done a little more. I think that the ending in FF II was way better than III.