PDA

View Full Version : Killing off the player character right away

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Did you know you would lose control of Reks fairly quickly?

I can imagine someone who went into the game blind 11 years ago seeing it as a shock, but people who had a grasp on the story and the artwork might have been less surprised.

On some level the death of Reks is a nice metaphor for the series change of direction. They let you know right away that they're breaking from the norms of the turn-based single player predecessors in a big way.

Fynn
09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
I knew it because XII is probably the first game the development of which I followed closely. I don't think SE really made a big secret of it.

Darth Ganon
09-12-2017, 08:09 PM
I already saw who the main characters were. I don't recall if I expected him to die or not, but I knew I wouldn't be playing as him for very long.

Syssareth
09-12-2017, 09:38 PM
I didn't have a clue. I'd read the manual, so I knew who the main characters were, and I got confused when this random guy showed up, but I had no idea he was going to die. It's been over a decade so I don't remember for sure, but I think I thought that Reks was Vaan, like, he would go into hiding and change his name, or lose his memory, or something. I didn't realize he was the brother that the manual mentions until it was explicitly stated. XD

Jinx
09-12-2017, 09:48 PM
I already saw who the main characters were. I don't recall if I expected him to die or not, but I knew I wouldn't be playing as him for very long.

Formalhaut
09-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether he would live or not (but I think I guessed the mission would end terribly, something in the dialogue tipped me off). I knew he wouldn't be a main character though, even if he does look rather similar to Vaan.

Freya
09-13-2017, 07:04 PM
I think I remember being confused. Confused in the beginning cause i didn't remember the character's art one the main character thing but I settled in with it and accepted that maybe it was a secret plot character or something and nope he just dies. And THAT confused me.

Shiva95
09-14-2017, 01:00 PM
I knew Vaan was the player character because I played it for the first time recently, but I was still a little confused. I was wondering what would happen to Reks, and who he was.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-15-2017, 05:13 AM
I honestly can't remember what I first thought. I feel like I either expected him to die or only show up later in the story but not having too much of a role.

Mr. Carnelian
09-15-2017, 01:34 PM
I think I thought that Reks was Vaan, like, he would go into hiding and change his name, or lose his memory, or something.

Same! They're VERY similar looking, so I just assumed that Reks was Vaan, and would end up changing his name for some reason.

Skyblade
09-16-2017, 02:18 AM
I think I thought that Reks was Vaan, like, he would go into hiding and change his name, or lose his memory, or something.

Same! They're VERY similar looking, so I just assumed that Reks was Vaan, and would end up changing his name for some reason.

He did change his name. To Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca!

Wolf Kanno
09-16-2017, 08:39 PM
I knew simply because I did a bit of research before the game came out, but I thought it was an interesting twist It's funny how three of the biggest movers of the plot all do so by dying in the game's first twenty minutes.

Edge7
09-18-2017, 02:16 PM
I KNEW Reks was Vaan's older brother and was going to die before I played the game, but I somehow forgot while playing the tutorial. Made the end of that all the more shocking.