PDA

View Full Version : FF News and Reviews (Also: EoFF Updates)

Dew Drop
04-13-2002, 04:14 PM
<font color="pink">Shouldn't the site be updated. It's been lying dead a long time. Maybe the staff could hire some updaters so it's not all left to just a couple of admins?

Also:
How about an FF News and Reviews section? I would quite happily write some reviews on events and games. I know others who would too. Plus, how about a "forum news" section? It would obviously have all of the events in the fora posted there.

These ideas any good?

Daryl
04-14-2002, 05:46 PM
News and Reviews, that kinda sounds like the "News" section on the main page. Fora News... hm. That could be good, but, I think that's what we have the announcements for, and also, the stickied threads in GC.

Britt
04-14-2002, 11:50 PM
We were going to have, like... updates and everything in the new version, but everyone kinna, like, stopped doing stuff. About five months ago. So I dunno. *doesn't want anything to do with it, anymore*

Dew Drop
04-18-2002, 02:20 PM
<font color="pink">I see what you mean, Becky. How about just a reviews section. EoFF could be opened up to a wider variaty(sp?) of people then. It could be for reviewing FF games and other rpgs and stuff. :)

Daryl
04-18-2002, 04:52 PM
I personally don't see adding a reviews' section to the fora as a good idea.

If you wish to review a game, just post in the appropriate forum with your opinions and whatever... just like people do now. :)

As Britt mentioned, if we ever get around to those updates, the reviews would perhaps fit in better with that.

Dew Drop
04-19-2002, 01:33 PM
<font color="pink">I meant to put the reviews on the site but if it's inconvienant I will shut up now.

Rainecloud
04-20-2002, 08:41 AM
What is this 'Front Page of EoFF' that you speak of, Tiffiekins? I have never heard of it.

Seriously though, nobody reads the front page anymore. People only come to EoFF for the forum association. We may as well ditch the front page and save on the bandwidth.

crono_logical
04-20-2002, 10:15 AM
I actually visited last week to check something about jobs in FFTactics :D

Burtsplurt
04-20-2002, 12:58 PM
The first month or so I checked out the front page, but now... what's the point? People who visit are going to notice it's not updated, and they'll fail to notice the excellent content (except for the FFX section which hasn't even acknowledged that the game is out!)

Couldn't people start working on the site again. I'm sure there's enough people round here who could work on it.

Dew Drop
04-20-2002, 01:29 PM
<font color="pink">Ditching the front page would be a bad idea Raine. Without the front page it's not EoFF it's just some forums. It's silly.

There's plenty of people around here who would quite happily work on the site. I think there's only 4 admins who work on it just, or something? It's not terribly good it puts too much strain on them. Maybe you could employ some people to work on the site?

Scottie
04-20-2002, 02:46 PM
The fora only accounts for... *checks* 55.866% of the traffic we get. So it's basically split. Half of the people come for the info, the other half for the fora.

Daryl
04-20-2002, 05:56 PM
I look at the main site all the time. It's an excellent reference.

Loony BoB
04-20-2002, 09:33 PM
With that much traffic, it'd be nice if people still updated the news. *runs away*

Rampala
04-21-2002, 06:19 AM
I agree with Tiffikens, I mean, besides, I'm sure you could easily recruit some EoFFer's who'd love to help out with the site. :D

Scottie
04-21-2002, 03:08 PM
We did...but people just stopped working.

Cz
04-21-2002, 03:37 PM
The site is an excellent reference point for those who just surf in. It's of little use to veterans who've seen it all before, but it interested me no end when I first joined.

The Man
04-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Rampala Quistis
I agree with Tiffikens, I mean, besides, I'm sure you could easily recruit some EoFFer's who'd love to help out with the site. :D You can count me in as a potential helper. I see the lack of a Secret of Mana (Holy Sword Legend 2) page and a Holy Sword Legend 3 page. I could start on the HSL2 page right away, and when I'm finished doing all three quests in HSL3 (I've only completed Riesz and Hawkeye's scenario), I could probably get working on an HSL3 page, too. (The HSL3 page is so much more ambitious than the HSL2 page that I'd do the HSL2 page first, for sure).

Argument: There really isn't too much info on those games out there as it stands, and I don't think that much bandwidth would be taken up for creating said pages. I dunno how quickly I'd be able to finish pages for them, and since I've never built anything like an info section on a game, I might need a little outside assistance, but... yeah. I think there are plenty of EoFFers who'd love to help update the site, so it would be nice if such a thing were to happen. And creating an HSL2 page would give me something to do other than lurking around the forums all day.

The only problem is that I don't know of any 3D-rendered images of characters from the Holy Sword Legend games at all (except Legend of Mana, which I haven't played and won't be able to play any time soon), and as such, it would be hard to make the "look and feel" of a Holy Sword Legend page match that of the rest of the site. I have no drawing skill, so I couldn't help with that, either. I'd guess we'd just have to scan the booklets or something.

Anyway, if anything needs to be done around the site, I'd be glad to help, as long as I felt qualified to do so.

As the site stands, it is, as BM121 said, an excellent reference point for those who are new to the games. The site helped me stop feeling overwhlemed by FF4 and FF5. And if it were updated, it could be even cooler. Just look at how active the forums still are.

Just a thought.

Anyway, what has been done but still remains incomplete, Scottie (or other administrators who would know)? If you released a list of that stuff, I'm sure people would volunteer to pitch in. I, at least, would do so wherever I had the time, the knowledge, and the patience to help.

Peace
The Man

Dr Unne
04-21-2002, 09:26 PM
I think what the site would need if it was going to be worked on more is leadership. Sean was the only thing that kept anyone working on the site in the past. People did new game sections for Sean. Sean put it all together into one huge site. Sean kept the site flowing with updates. Without Sean, when you tried to start to get people working on the site again, I think there was just no one to keep it all together. There are a lot of people willing to work on the site, but you need a leader to lead the project if it's going to happen. A leader who cares a LOT, who will put in a ton of work, like Sean did. I don't think we have anyone who is as dedicated as Sean was. After all, it's his site, he cared probably more than anyone.

The site holds plenty of value as it is, in terms of FF1-9 coverage.

The Man
04-21-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
I think what the site would need if it was going to be worked on more is leadership. Sean was the only thing that kept anyone working on the site in the past. People did new game sections for Sean. Sean put it all together into one huge site. Sean kept the site flowing with updates. Without Sean, when you tried to start to get people working on the site again, I think there was just no one to keep it all together. There are a lot of people willing to work on the site, but you need a leader to lead the project if it's going to happen. A leader who cares a LOT, who will put in a ton of work, like Sean did. I don't think we have anyone who is as dedicated as Sean was. After all, it's his site, he cared probably more than anyone.

The site holds plenty of value as it is, in terms of FF1-9 coverage. You're probably right, Unne.

Forgive my ignorance. Is Sean ever coming back? I believe that he said he would, eventually, but that was almost five months ago. Wasn't it? *doesn't feel like subtracting November from April of the next year*

I'd still be willing to make an informative HSL2 page, hopefully one that didn't just repeat the information of the seven other Secret of Mana web pages out there, if I could be assured that it would actually get posted here. It might be a good way for me to start taking initiative, as I haven't done that much lately and need to start doing so again. And it could also help the site.

Peace
The Man

Dr Unne
04-21-2002, 10:22 PM
Sean is kind of around still. I doubt he's going to come back full-force like before, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. I don't think he ever said he was "coming back" in any official way.

Killy
04-22-2002, 12:40 AM
I volunteer (or whatever it is spelled) to go on a Dead-Link search, Ive already spotted quite a few of them!

Dew Drop
04-22-2002, 06:23 PM
<font color="pink">hmm, see! I would really like to see the site updated and I think if enough people pulled together we could do it. There are loads of us who want to see it grow and expand. I for one, volunteer to do any work that could be offered *nods*

Loony BoB
04-22-2002, 09:58 PM
I was referring to the actual news updates that go in the middle of the main www.eyesonff.com page, but y'no, this is actually really kew. I'd love to see EoFF making EoFF... even if Sean isn't here, is that to say that nobody gives a damn about the site? Has anyone noticed how much people in EoFF are eager to help out the place, for no prize whatsoever? I know I am. I say we start getting our asses into gear with this. I reckon there are a few pages on the more recent FF's that need to be done, and someone needs to look into getting some news on the overall Squaresoft arena...

This could work. I'm dead serious. I've had a piss-hell day, and I'm very pessimistic, but I strongly believe this could work, and we could get the main EoFF site going at the rate it used to, with weekly (if not daily) updates, and so forth. Y'know, I always wanted to have a materia page that would tell you exactly where to get every materia... has that been made yet? *goes to check*

EDIT: Okay, this is the result of my go-checking: http://www.eyesonff.com/ff7/materia.shtml

Kinda sad. Heh. *thinks there should be a helluva lot more*

Sakura Yume
04-23-2002, 05:22 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>I still look at the main site now and then and I agree with Daniel about the materia... I remember checking it a while back. I'd be willing to help contribute to that if you'll take a look at my now developing FF7 site's <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sakurakage/materia.html">materia</a> pages. The site looks awful right now but it's being transferred to a better <a href="http://sakurayume.50megs.com/materia.html">location</a> but I haven't transferred all the data yet. It's not finished but still... more than 15 odd lines... *started transferring a couple of days ago* I don't really know that much about FFs outside of FF7 and 9 but I'd also be willing to help as much as possible with my minimal computer skills.

CloudDragon
04-23-2002, 05:59 AM
This sounds like a pretty good Idea. I am willing to do any kind of work or contributions I could give. I would probably be able to do some work on a couple of the FF Pages. Maybe help set up a Xenogears page. Also anything else I could do to help.

I remember when I was on the main site yesterday and I clicked on the guestbook. I saw comments from several people. Many people said that this was a good info site. And I think a couple comments on us here at the forums. Maybe you should check it out sometime.

Burtsplurt
04-23-2002, 07:23 PM
It sounds like a good idea, but as Unne said, there would need to be leadership.

If we could arrange something by the summertime then loads of people would have free time to help out. I know I would.

Shira
04-23-2002, 11:45 PM
I'd be willing to help with anything fanfiction-related... I heard there were plans to make a fanfiction site but it was never really done... except the problem is I have NO computer skills... sucks.
If we could arrange something by the summertime then loads of people would have free time to help out. I know I would. I agree, in the summer everyone would have free time and be willing to help. During the school year everyone's too busy.

Sakura Yume
04-24-2002, 05:41 AM
<font color=#AFEEEE>*notes it would be the middle of winter and exams over here* Damn being in the southern hemisphere...

Burtsplurt
04-30-2002, 10:34 AM
See this thread (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17636).