PDA

View Full Version : When shows change an actor between seasons

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Does it throw you out of the experience when someone you don't recognize just appears in place of an actor you're used to?

Game of Thrones example:

When Ed Skrein gets replaced by Michiel Huisman as Daario I actually liked the change more.

I wasn't bothered with the Tommen change either because he was a minor character that didn't really have dialogue until he came back anyway.

I also think Sense8 did a good job of replacing Capheus. They made a joke about it right away (new haircut?) and I got used to him within a few episodes.

Can you think of examples that were really bad?

charliepanayi
09-19-2017, 07:40 PM
The first Aunt Vivian in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air >>>> The second Aunt Vivian

Scotty_ffgamer
09-19-2017, 09:09 PM
I hate when this happens unless it's a character you've spent so little time with that you can't remember what they looked like before anyways. I eventually get used to new actors though, and it stops bothering me after a few episodes. I honestly can't think of any examples at the moment though.

Actually, despite their small appearances at first, it does bother me quite a bit in The Office when Pam's mom changes once she plays a bigger role. It's the same with Andy's parents. The first actor and actress' roles were so small that I can't compare the acting, but it still bothers me every time I rewatch the show. I don't know why.

Jinx
09-19-2017, 09:12 PM
I hate when this happens unless it's a character you've spent so little time with that you can't remember what they looked like before anyways. I eventually get used to new actors though, and it stops bothering me after a few episodes. I honestly can't think of any examples at the moment though.

Actually, despite their small appearances at first, it does bother me quite a bit in The Office when Pam's mom changes once she plays a bigger role. It's the same with Andy's parents. The first actor and actress' roles were so small that I can't compare the acting, but it still bothers me every time I rewatch the show. I don't know why.

This, exactly.

And I hated Capheus' change. I mean, the actor is fine, I guess. But the first actor was much better (and more attractive, shallow, I know). The second actor gave him a completely different personality, and I didn't enjoy it at all.

Freya
09-19-2017, 09:30 PM
It's so unfortunate Spartacus HAD to do this since Andy Whitfield died. He did such a great job and the replacement actor was just okay.

Jinx
09-19-2017, 09:34 PM
Also Harry Potter when Richard Harris died. Richard Harris WAS Dumbledore. For what it's worth, I think Michael Gambon did a great job and watching 1&2 feels weird now because I'm used to him as Dumbledore, but I still think Richard was the better fit.

Darth Ganon
09-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Harriet's replacement in Family Matters was a bad one. I don't remember anything negative about the actress herself, but the show had already jumped the shark and changing her out so late in the series was a killing blow.

Fynn
09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
In Friends, I remember Carol (Ross's lesbian ex-wife) having a completely different actress in the first episode, but I still kinda liked her more, though I can't really tell you why since she really had that one appearance and the second Carol showed up pretty frequently.

Pumpkin
09-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Laura in That 70's Show