PDA

View Full Version : "Sequels suck"

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Many people think sequels suck because they're seen as cash ins on the success of the first movie. Unless it's a huge blockbuster they tend to have a smaller production value and rest on their laurels a little bit.

Can you think of a movie sequel that was way better or at least on par with the original?

Bonus points if you name a sequel you love that no one else seems to like.

Jinx
09-24-2017, 11:45 PM
Shrek 2 is the best Shrek movie, hands down.

Freya
09-24-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm not going to count the movies that are planned as a series or trilogy initially.

The Aladdin Sequels were fucking great. Only Disney sequels that were.

Shrek 2 IS the best shrek.

Recently I watched the huntsman movie which was a sequel to the snow white one. It was way better.

I'll think of more i'm sure

Jinx
09-24-2017, 11:57 PM
The Aladdin Sequels were smurfing great. Only Disney sequels that were.

The Little Mermaid II, tho.

Sephex
09-25-2017, 12:13 AM
The Empire Strikes Barbra Bush differs to beg.

Scotty_ffgamer
09-25-2017, 12:49 AM
I liked Halloween II about as much as the first one. I also liked at least Nightmare on Elm Street III about as well as the first one.

Toy Story sequels are all great. I like Aladdin and the King of Thieves quite a bit too.

I honestly can't think of many sequels all of a sudden, but I'm sure there are others.

Raistlin
09-25-2017, 02:11 AM
Star Wars Episode V
The Dark Knight
Captain America: Winter Soldier
X2
Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
The Godfather Part II

Wolf Kanno
09-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Better then the first film:

Shrek 2
The Dark Knight
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Empire Strikes Back
Sailor Moon S: The Movie

As good as the first one:

Aliens
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Addams Family Values
Adieu Galaxy Express 999
Lethal Weapon 2
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Fynn
09-25-2017, 09:31 AM
I actually like Shrek the Third a lot! *prepares shield for the inevitable tomato rain*

The problem with the Disney sequels is that they're generally made by zero of the same people, with 1% of the budget, purely with the intent of selling it to parents who want to keep their kids busy. Still loved Aladdin and the King of Thieves though.

Slothy
09-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Better then the first film:

Shrek 2
The Dark Knight
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Empire Strikes Back
Sailor Moon S: The Movie

As good as the first one:

Aliens
Addams Family Values
Adieu Galaxy Express 999
Lethal Weapon 2
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Gonna have to disagree about Terminator 2. The greatest action movie of all time does not share it's top slot with anyone.

Wolf Kanno
09-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Gonna have to disagree about Terminator 2. The greatest action movie of all time does not share it's top slot with anyone.

When you strip away the special effects, the film is just a redo of the first movie which was more original and Sarah was less annoying than her bratty son.

charliepanayi
09-25-2017, 09:05 PM
Terminator 2 and Aliens are both great, but in both cases I prefer their predecessors

Sequels that are better (not counting long running series like Star Trek and James Bond where most films aren't direct sequels of one another):

The Godfather Part II
Toy Story 2
The Dark Knight

Doomie
09-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Everyone named the ones I named. I just came to say I vehemently disagree with Shrek 2 being the better of the two. Godfather II is just as good. I thought Ocean's 13 was as good as 11.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Gremlins 2 is a great spoof of itself and the problem with lots of sequels as a whole.

Since it's so self-aware it makes for a good time. If you're forced to make a sequel you don't want, and you know you can't capture the original magic, then I think doing what Gremlins 2 did is a pretty great alternative.

Example
10-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Toy Story 2 and 3
The Godfather 2
The Dark Knight
The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Return of the King
Terminator 2
Aliens

All of these were just as good if not better than their predecessors.

Bubba
10-07-2017, 10:31 PM
The Matrix Reloaded
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Die Hard 2

charliepanayi
10-07-2017, 11:15 PM
The Matrix Reloaded

Get out.

Laddy
10-09-2017, 04:52 AM
Outside of the ones already named, Hellboy II, How to Train Your Dragon 2, The Cat Returns(?), The Road Warrior, and Superman II

Sephex
10-09-2017, 01:11 PM
The Matrix Reloaded

Get out.

I still don't know what's up with everyone when it comes to the sequels. Before anyone freaks out, yeah, they aren't all that great. But Reloaded is just a dumb, fun action movie. That's what I expected and I had a good time watching it. It was a great theater experience because at the time everyone was into it. The original movie isn't some deep masterpiece (don't get me wrong again, I liked it a lot). If anything, the Wachowski's bought into their own hype and tried to make it too deep. There's enough fun, dumb things in Reloaded to drown out all the BS, but Revolutions took it too far which is why that one gets dumped on the most.

charliepanayi
10-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Reloaded is awful. There's some fun action stuff but it expects you to have played Enter the Matrix and watch The Animatrix to fill in plot holes, the Burly Brawl scene looks like a PS1-era video game, the Zion Rave scene is one of the worst things I've ever seen and the bit with the Architect was rightfully parodied for how incomprehensible it was. I actually thought Revolutions was slightly better (though still not very good). The Wachowskis haven't made a decent film since The Matrix, though I've heard Sense8 is good.

Sephex
10-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Reloaded is awful. There's some fun action stuff but it expects you to have played Enter the Matrix and watch The Animatrix to fill in plot holes, the Burly Brawl scene looks like a PS1-era video game, the Zion Rave scene is one of the worst things I've ever seen and the bit with the Architect was rightfully parodied for how incomprehensible it was. I actually thought Revolutions was slightly better (though still not very good). The Wachowskis haven't made a decent film since The Matrix, though I've heard Sense8 is good.

Yep, all of those things are problems. I never got the beef about the Architect one, though (to a point). I'm not even being "one of those guys", but I felt it was perfectly clear what was going on. It all boiled down to Neo either choosing to continue the cycle and start the Matrix all over for the (I believe it would be) 7th time or to fuck off and save Trinity and thus risk basically screwing over humanity at the least. The problem is that it took an unnecessary long time to explain that and clearly the Wachowski's had their nose in a thesaurus.

I dunno, like I said, I think people took the franchise way too seriously to begin with. I'll admit I bought into the hype back in the day, but in retrospect Reloaded is just a fun mindless watch.

Also, yeah, the burly brawl looks awful today. I just like over the top stuff sometimes. Logically, if the Matrix were a thing and someone like Neo was that good at it, things would actually probably look even MORE cartoonish from a practical sense. By no means am I defending how it looks. I just think that despite the flaws, the brawl makes sense in context of the Matrix itself and how the scene is set up.

Bubba
10-13-2017, 03:33 PM
The Matrix Reloaded
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Die Hard 2

I'm glad my responses garnered such discussion. However, I should probably admit now that I was lying. I don't like any of these sequels. The originals were far better.

Rez09
10-27-2017, 06:44 AM
I feel you missed the opportunity to laud Robocop 2 as the superior film.

On sequels I feel live up to the original:

The Rescuers Down Under is (vastly) better than the original
T2 and Aliens are both better than their predecessors
Riddick is roughly as good as Pitch Black
Die Hard 3 is roughly as good as Die Hard
Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust is generally superior to the original
Empire is roughly as good as New Hope
Last Crusade is roughly on par with Raiders
Friday the 13th 2 is superior to the original
Hellraiser:Inferno is roughly on par with the original, though many don't agree with me there.
Beverly Hills Cop 2 is about as good as the original
Dawn of the Dead is as good / better than Night (especially when it comes to the remakes)
Bride of Frankenstein is better than Frankenstein
Home Alone 2 is roughly as good as the original
The Road Warrior is superior to Mad Max
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is superior to Fistful of Dollars
Inferno is . . . almost as good as Susperia
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is comparable to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

Skyblade
11-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is superior to Final Fantasy Tactics...

Oh, right. Movies.

Hard thinking of ones that haven't been said already. Though "Wrath of Khan" deserves another mention.

Rocket Edge
11-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Toy Story 3 was 3 times better than the original.

Example
11-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Star Trek: First Contact was way better than Generations, even though it still sucked compared to The Best of Both Worlds. I enjoyed Back to the Future 2 and 3 as much as the original, I wouldn't call them better but they're not that bad. Almost forgot about Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness both being superior to the first movie.

I feel you missed the opportunity to laud Robocop 2 as the superior film.

On sequels I feel live up to the original:

The Rescuers Down Under is (vastly) better than the original
T2 and Aliens are both better than their predecessors
Riddick is roughly as good as Pitch Black
Die Hard 3 is roughly as good as Die Hard
Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust is generally superior to the original
Empire is roughly as good as New Hope
Friday the 13th 2 is superior to the original
Hellraiser:Inferno is roughly on par with the original, though many don't agree with me there.
Beverly Hills Cop 2 is about as good as the original
Dawn of the Dead is as good / better than Night (especially when it comes to the remakes)
Bride of Frankenstein is better than Frankenstein
Home Alone 2 is roughly as good as the original
The Road Warrior is superior to Mad Max
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is superior to Fistful of Dollars
Inferno is . . . almost as good as Susperia
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is comparable to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

For a second I thought you were referring to T2 Trainspotting, which was most definitely NOT better than its predecessor. Also Robocop 2 better than 1? That movie had one good scene in its entire running time. Agree on Road Warrior though, love that movie. And I'd just like to add that Beyond Thunderdome is underrated and doesn't deserve the hate.

Toy Story 3 was 3 times better than the original.

Not really, I love the movie but it was way too reliant on nostalgia pandering and retreading of old ground. Oh look, the other toys don't trust Woody, even though this was already dealt with in the first movie. Oh look, Woody goes through a moral dilemma on whether to stay with his friends, just like in the second movie.

Fynn
11-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Still, it's way more effective than the sum of its parts partly because of the timing and all. It's a really good sequel, though the ending is a bit stupid, imo. I still consider it the best Toy Story film overall.

Skyblade
11-08-2017, 02:27 PM
I was actually a bit depressed that Andy played through the same scene with his toys as he had in Toy Story. While it was nice to see how it played out in his mind, with the effects and all, I feel as though it showed a lack of imagination on his part. How many years later, and his toys were stuck in the same parts?

Versus the little girl with the thespian toys. They were fantastic. Constantly shifting parts, trying to figure out what role they were in, and how best to fill it out. I approve. 10/10.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-09-2017, 01:30 AM

I seem to be in the minority but Temple of Doom is my favourite Indy. Never could really get into Last Crusade - kind of feels like a Bond movie, not an Indy movie. Raiders is great though.

Rez09
11-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Yeah, Temple isn't my cup of tea, but it's a fun ride and I know a lot of people love it. :)

Fynn
11-09-2017, 09:13 PM
I'm just kinda miffed about what they did with the figure of Kali

Mercen-X
11-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Shrek the Third
Cinderella III
Huntsman: Winter's War
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight
Thor Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2
Back to the Future Part II
Back to the Future Part III
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead (I'm listing the remake)
Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi
Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens
Toy Story 2
The Road Warrior
Fury Road
X2: X-Men United
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek Beyond
Alien: Covenant
The Goof, the Bad, and the Ugly

Convercide
11-19-2017, 08:27 PM
I think my avatar is a good case in point.

Bubba
11-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Now I've read all the responses (especially Mercen-X) I've realised that there are smurfing loads :lol:

Nicol Bolas
11-21-2017, 02:40 PM
I'm inclined to say Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. They were both funny imo but the second seemed to let Carrey ad lib a little more.

Markus. D
12-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Bring It On Again, the straight to DVD sequel to Bring It On.

There is no other film I need to exist. Each viewing cleanses the spirit.