PDA

View Full Version : "Thanks, Rosa."

Psychotic
10-28-2017, 09:50 PM
Are there any worse things you can say to your wife after having been in labour for half a day with your firstborn? God damnit Cecil what the smurf is wrong with you?

Fynn
10-28-2017, 09:53 PM
Is that a line from the Interlude? It sounds like it. Good God, the less saidabout that, the better.

If it's from the After Years, well, that game doesn't exactly have stellar writing either but at least its fun ;)

Psychotic
10-28-2017, 10:34 PM
After Years, Rydia's Tale. As far as writing goes, I take issue with everything Mysterious Girl the Maryest of all Sues does and I also dislike stuffing the party full of generics with zero personality, but the main characters are typically handled well enough. This line is made even more jarring because both Rydia and Cid had just delivered some heartfelt congratulations in nice ways that reflected their personalities, yet Cecil just throws up a "thank you".

Fynn
10-29-2017, 06:38 AM
I think this instance may actually just be a Japanes thing, not a bad writing thing

Psychotic
10-30-2017, 06:51 PM
You mean like the Tidus/Yuna "I love you"/"Thank you" mix up? I don't really see it - I think the localisation of the script is really good and uses some English figures of speech that I can't imagine working well in Japanese.

Sephex
10-30-2017, 07:32 PM
After Years, Rydia's Tale. As far as writing goes, I take issue with everything Mysterious Girl the Maryest of all Sues does and I also dislike stuffing the party full of generics with zero personality, but the main characters are typically handled well enough. This line is made even more jarring because both Rydia and Cid had just delivered some heartfelt congratulations in nice ways that reflected their personalities, yet Cecil just throws up a "thank you".

I'm willing to look past the Mysterious Girl only because that battle music is absolutely chilling and I love it.

Fynn
10-30-2017, 10:25 PM
I mean, maybe it's normal to say "thank you" in that context in Japanese? Who knows? I sure don't :gator:

Wolf Kanno
10-31-2017, 01:12 AM
Are there any worse things you can say to your wife after having been in labour for half a day with your firstborn? God damnit Cecil what the smurf is wrong with you?

*checks watch* Well I guess that was an adequate time, but you'll need to work on improving it the next time around. Now stop lying around in that bed holding our child and fetch me some dinner. ~ Cecil Harvey

Edge7
11-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Cecil "my-father-figure-sent-me-to-commit-genocide" Harvey: Parenthood, huh? Well that's uh... huh... Thanks Rosa...