PDA

View Full Version : Console Deaths

Bubba
10-31-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm sure we've all had at least one console that suffered an untimely death. Back in the day, I somehow managed to pour an entire pint of water directly over my PS2. Amphibious it was not.

How did you lose yours?

RIP all the console carcasses :(

Fynn
10-31-2017, 01:32 PM
I had a gameboy color that died because it was left unused for a long time with the batteries in. The batteries of course leaked out and destroyed everything

Example
10-31-2017, 03:36 PM
My original PS3 and PSP died years ago and my PS1 just barely functions at all. Funny how my PS2, the most notorious console for system failures until the 360, lasted the longest.

CimminyCricket
10-31-2017, 05:37 PM
My dog ate my gameboy advance, I spilled soda on my PSP cause a car ran a red light and I had to brake so hard that both flew out of their cup holders, and my brother pulled the PS2 down by tripping over the controller's wire.

Bubba
10-31-2017, 05:46 PM
My dog ate my gameboy advance, I spilled soda on my PSP cause a car ran a red light and I had to brake so hard that both flew out of their cup holders, and my brother pulled the PS2 down by tripping over the controller's wire.

Wolf Kanno
10-31-2017, 07:18 PM
My original PS2 and PS3 have both died, and I've nearly lost my second PS2 if I hadn't YouTube a rather simply solution for it, same with my second PS3. For both PlayStation units that did die, it was largely due to faulty hardware that the systems were notorious for having. The quick fixes for the current ones involved opening up the PS2 to clean out all of the dust that was preventing the disc drive to work, and the PS3 involved replacing the main power mechanism.

Nintendo has never really given me too much of an issue and I feel the cartridges themselves are usually the problem than the system itself. I did think I lost my NES a while back and even wrote a moving article for EoFF's sister site at the time for it. Turned out the only thing that went out was the A/V cable and the system worked fine.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-01-2017, 04:09 PM
I hesitate to say this, but I've never had a console truly break.

I still have my original SNES. My GameCube had the external power source fail, but the system itself works fine with the new power source. My PS2 is cranky, but does work after a few minutes to warm up.

If I could find my original Gameboy, I'm sure it would be dead, but the last time I saw it I put new batteries in it, and it fired right up.

Elly
11-02-2017, 11:14 AM
i take care of my stuff so consoles dying is an extreme rarity... all my handhelds work as good as new, same for most of my consoles... that said, i think i need a new A/V cable for my SNES, and my original PSX died from that laser/track wear-down stuff, the PSone i replaced it with still works great... my fat PS2 still works but makes a bit of noise when i boot it up, and the PS2 slim works like i just took it out of the box, so the fat one is back in it's box (yes, i keep all my boxes and packing material for this reason)... my PS3 still works but suffers from a hardware error with the disc-load, i fear one day i will not be able to get a disc in or out of it, and the PS4 even though it's 2 years old, still runs like the day i got it though i need to replace the HDD, 1TB is way too small for a system that forces you to install the entire game from the disc to the HDD, stupid idea SONY just let it play from disc like all the previous consoles... basically all my console problems are not from abusing my systems but from normal wear...

Uchu
11-02-2017, 01:10 PM
I had a gameboy color that died because it was left unused for a long time with the batteries in. The batteries of course leaked out and destroyed everything

Yep, know what that's like. Gets absolutely everywhere inside. Fortunately, mine still works. Did have to spend a while cleaning it out though.

Other than that, I've had many a PS2 fail on me for various reasons...

Convercide
11-02-2017, 08:34 PM
I had my chunky PS2 in my backpack. It was an icy day.

Cushioned my fall spectacularly. The mahoosive crack in the case meant I could see the motherboard after that.

It survived for a while after until the laser gave up. The fall wasn't to blame. I just included that for giggles. It was more the cheap laser that gave out.

My Atari 2600 just gave up one day. That was a sad moment.

theundeadhero
11-02-2017, 10:04 PM
I had a scare with my NES once, but it was just the power supply that didn't work anymore. The rest seem to be ok.

Darth Ganon
11-03-2017, 06:11 AM
I seem to be the only one in the entire world who has had Gamecube issues.

My first one encountered disk read errors and was replace by warranty and the replacement eventually fell to the same thing. It still works, but I have to fight with it for a while. Normally I just use my Wii instead, but my GCN still needs to be called to action every once in a while for the GB Player.

And of course I had a RRoD. Then the replacement ended up having disk tray issues and began freezing on me.

Rez09
11-03-2017, 06:59 AM
I had a Super Nintendo a dresser fell on, which was pretty great. Killed both my Super Gameboy and SNES, but . . . Donkey Kong survived. :D

CimminyCricket
11-03-2017, 03:10 PM
I forgot about my Sega Saturn - this was very traumatic for me, because it was my own fault and if I had just been patient.

I lived in Germany, but had a US Saturn. This was in the 90's and we had these transformer boxes that we used so we could keep our US electronics. Each one had a specific wattage or voltage or some shit, but I used the wrong one and absolutely fried the inside of my Saturn because I didn't want to wait for my dad to go grab the one from down stairs. Sparked inside the console and scared me.

RIP Saturn

Uchu
11-03-2017, 03:54 PM
I forgot about my Sega Saturn - this was very traumatic for me, because it was my own fault and if I had just been patient.

I lived in Germany, but had a US Saturn. This was in the 90's and we had these transformer boxes that we used so we could keep our US electronics. Each one had a specific wattage or voltage or some trout, but I used the wrong one and absolutely fried the inside of my Saturn because I didn't want to wait for my dad to go grab the one from down stairs. Sparked inside the console and scared me.

RIP Saturn

That's tragic. To use my original consoles I would also need to use a transformer, but your story reminds me of why I haven't tried that yet... too nervous of seeing my Mega Drive go up in smoke. :onoes:

Convercide
11-04-2017, 12:04 PM
I seem to be the only one in the entire world who has had Gamecube issues.

My first one encountered disk read errors and was replace by warranty and the replacement eventually fell to the same thing. It still works, but I have to fight with it for a while. Normally I just use my Wii instead, but my GCN still needs to be called to action every once in a while for the GB Player.

And of course I had a RRoD. Then the replacement ended up having disk tray issues and began freezing on me.

My GameCube was seemingly made out of Tungsten. Never had any issues with it.

However I did suffer the RRoD. 7 times. First one a week after buying my first 360. My Elite got it 3 times and the replacement original got it 3 times too. The last time for each was outside of the 3 years they gave.

Then my 360S decided to chew my hard drive last year so I lost all my non-cloud saves.

It means I've had to start Blue Dragon 3 times. I'm on my 4th attempt now. I despise the first 5 hours because of this.

Iceglow
11-05-2017, 12:07 PM
My old PS1 lost it's ability to read discs properly after the peg that depressed the engage button for the laser gave out. I fixed that with the help of a cocktail stick and some super glue.

My old PS2 lost it's ability to read discs but it was actually just CD's it stopped reading. Thankfully I knew and still do know how to repair these things and simply stripping the console down to clean it and then re-tuning the laser (the white cog at the back of the disc drive which you can see when you strip it down does this, theres 2 settings on there that work for both DVD and CD, you just need to fire it up and test with both dvd and cd for each tooth of the cog until you find the right one).

My 20GB Xbox 360 was killed by Gears 3, it got a fatal red ring of death that I had no hope of fixing, considering the age and limited space on the disc drive.... I gave it a viking funeral and picked up a new 250GB slimline black one still in operation today

Other than that, I've not really killed any consoles aside from my first DS, that died when the hinge literally snapped. The hinges were infamous on the original DS for being the weak link it was to do with the plastic used in the casing being really brittle.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-05-2017, 12:35 PM
My first PS3 did the yellow light thing. I sold it to someone who swore he could fix it. He did and managed to keep it working for several months. Then it did it again.

My 360 red ringed like a week after my brother bought it from me, but he says his daughter did something to cause it’s death.

That’s about it. My ps1 had some issues with the Video cable port, but I could work around that generally. I think the second controller port on my snes is a bit spotty. My nes playing games, but cleaning the connectors in the system real well fixed that.

I almost find it weird when people have issues with the GameCube or other Nintendo systems. I feel like those never fully seem to die on me even when kids have been around and are rough with them. That being said, I know someone else who had issues with the GameCube reading discs. I think they had the same problem on the Wii.

Edit: I forgot that my game gear definitely died on me. It had some sort of known issue that I forget what it is. Nearly all game gears have the issue after all these years unless you replace whatever it was.

CimminyCricket
11-06-2017, 08:57 PM

I lived in Germany, but had a US Saturn. This was in the 90's and we had these transformer boxes that we used so we could keep our US electronics. Each one had a specific wattage or voltage or some trout, but I used the wrong one and absolutely fried the inside of my Saturn because I didn't want to wait for my dad to go grab the one from down stairs. Sparked inside the console and scared me.

RIP Saturn

That's tragic. To use my original consoles I would also need to use a transformer, but your story reminds me of why I haven't tried that yet... too nervous of seeing my Mega Drive go up in smoke. :onoes:

Don't do it! Emulate. :C

Aulayna
11-07-2017, 12:16 AM
I had an Action Replay cart that fried my PSone. Got a replacement PSone, part the cart in, and it fried that one too. Needless to say I didn't try my luck a 3rd time!

Moral of the story: cheating never pays!

Loony BoB
11-07-2017, 12:39 PM
PS1 - Electric surge killed it.
PS4 - HDD failure, just replaced the drive.

And that's it. I've lost many a controller though, and am still doing repairs on my PS4 controllers from time to time. The 360 might be dead at this point, not sure.

Slothy
11-09-2017, 01:39 AM
My first ps3 got the yellow light. I was playing ffxiii at the time so I blame it really. Bought a slim to replace it that's never given me any problems.

Uchu
11-13-2017, 03:18 AM

RIP Saturn

Don't do it! Emulate. :C

Now that you say that, I was watching some YouTube videos the other day showcasing some old Dreamcast games running via emulation, didn't look half bad, except for a few graphical hiccups. Very tempting to go down that route with my older games since, while not dead, the consoles are only useful as glorified paperweights at the moment!

Talking of paperweights, to add another console death to the thread, I have a suspicion that my 2001 Xbox is in fact dead inside. Given how heavy and big that thing is to move around, that kinda sucks...

Mercen-X
11-14-2017, 05:06 PM
My first PlayStation had a heart attack. I thought I could resuscitate it, but a surgeon I was not. Humpty could not be put back together again.

My first NES was on its last legs when it met its untimely end. My dad, angry I had not done my homework, took it out to the curb and bashed its brains in. He regretted it immediately as that NES was actually his.

My first PS2 began to show signs of dementia after a couple years and at one point I remember it refused to give me my disc back. It gave it up eventually but it never opened up to me again.

My PSP was a hapless victim of my own frustrations. It's still around, but it doesn't see the world the way that it used to. I'm still holding out hope that I can get it the help it needs.

My PS2 slim recently became paralyzed. The transplant it needs to function normally again is expensive, so it just sits around in its own filth waiting for the day I give up and throw it out.

I had a Gameboy at one time as well, but it disappeared a long time ago. I try to take better care of my portables these days and stay vigilant.