PDA

View Full Version : That's not my name. Jerk. Yeah. I called you a jerk.

Sephex
11-10-2017, 11:48 PM
I'm sitting here waiting for dinner to be done and I was all like, "Hey, make a thread." So here is my thread.

Oh, the subject is your name! Not the movie, though. Actually, not really your name. But the most common way someone screws up your name. It can be either your first name or your last name.

Basically everyone knows this, but my real name is Justin. My whole life many, many people have a slip of the tongue and call me Jason. There was an article a local paper that featured a picture of me and my great grandmother. They printed my name as Jason. I am completely numb to it.

Oh, also my last name is absurdly Polish and can easily be mispronounced as a...negative Polish slang term, so that's a thing too.

So any of you people deal with this sort of shit or what?

Bubba
11-11-2017, 01:10 AM
Danny... 74939

Always and forever.

Denmark
11-11-2017, 03:53 AM
About half the time I say my name out loud to someone (usually someone needing my name for food-ordering purposes) they mishear "Rob" as "Ralph".

Was anyone born in the 80s named Ralph?

Wolf Kanno
11-11-2017, 04:35 AM
My name is very common, but it also has like a million spelling variations which is where this usually kicks in. My last name is also like incredibly simple, yet people still screw it up occasionally. :wcanoe:

Fynn
11-11-2017, 06:05 AM
This is kind of an abstract thing to explain in English, but Polish has something called case and the vocative form is used to address people, though its kind of phasing out. And I HATE it when people use my name in the vocative. "Patryku" sounds stupid

Chibi Youkai
11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Amanda. All the freaking time. Very occasionally, Alice as well.

Freya
11-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Kaycee is the name. Stacy is what they say. Maybe a Lacey. What about Macy? Jaycee?

Sometimes they do the first part and not the second. Kate, Kaitlyn, Kandy, Kaylee, Kylie

No one ever gets my name right. Usually it's Stacy though.

And yeah My name is a bit differently spelled than traditional KC's so it's never spelled right either.

Fynn
11-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Idk why, but I always found it amusing that your name sounds the same as your initials

Freya
11-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Idk why, but I always found it amusing that your name sounds the same as your initials

My mom thought she was clever doing it that way too hehe

CimminyCricket
11-14-2017, 01:06 AM
I get Henry a lot.

It's not even close, but it's a frequent screw up.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-14-2017, 02:47 AM
Yeah. I called you a jerk.

Ever think of the jerk hole?

Sephex
11-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Yeah. I called you a jerk.

Ever think of the jerk hole?

I was wondering when someone was going to get around to that.

Convercide
11-17-2017, 09:14 PM
My surname is Wolstencroft.

It's like Russian roulette every time somebody tries pronouncing it.

Skyblade
11-18-2017, 07:57 AM

It seems rather straightforward. How do you pronounce it?

Night Fury
11-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Urgh the US way to pronounce my name is not correct.

Shauna
11-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Nobody gets my name right, and I, Sharon McKenzie, have come to accept this.

Convercide
11-19-2017, 08:18 PM

It seems rather straightforward. How do you pronounce it?

As daft as it sounds, phonetically as it is read. However most people seem to read it as three distinct separate syllables as opposed to just saying it as one cohesive word.

I did once get a letter addressed to Mr. Walker. Turns out I was Mr. Walker.

My sister got Miss. Wingertcroft once.

Bubba
11-19-2017, 10:19 PM

Isn't this what they shout at Bar Mitzvahs?

Convercide
11-19-2017, 11:56 PM

Isn't this what they shout at Bar Mitzvahs?

It makes walking past synagogues irritating.

Shaymin
11-21-2017, 05:47 AM
I dont wanna reveal my name but my last name is a real bitch to guess how to pronounce so Ive gone my whole life with pretty much every last person guessing wrong...which on the plus side at least leads to funny messages from telemarketers failing miserably.

Rocket Edge
11-21-2017, 10:20 AM
My name is Donal which is Irish for Daniel. It's pronounced Doe - nul. I get called Donald so much. Or when they notice the d missing at the end it's Dahh-nal.

Freya
11-21-2017, 02:17 PM
I've been going to spin class for a few months now and my instructor still thinks my name is Cassie. I mean, i've wrote it down and corrected her a few times but... I'm cassie now.

Iceglow
11-21-2017, 11:05 PM
I commonly get called Tim on the phone. Why Tim I have no bloody clue. It's not like my name is even remotely similar. Steve and Tim are very different. If it's not Tim, it's Dave... Dave at least shares a syllabal with my name though how you get from ST to D on pronunciation is beyond me.

Other than that the mispronunciation of my surname is rife and I can't even begin to go in to it. You would never think saying "Cause" (as in "rebel without a cause") with an r on the end of it would be so hard to process for people but it is.

Fynn
11-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Has anyone else had this problem with Starbucks specifically where they always put the wrong names on the cups? I've never had my actual name on a Starbucks cup. Bartek happened, Piotrek happened, but never Patryk. And even my wife, who has the most common female name in the world (Anna) had it mixed up at Starbucks. Sometimes I wonder if they do it on purpose.

Karifean
11-22-2017, 02:52 PM
I'm surprised when people get my family name *right*. It's the kind of name you hear and have no goddamn idea how it's spelled properly. Mitscha-Eibl. Or was it Mitscha-Eybl? Mitscher-Eibel? We have a collection of instances of people writing it wrong at this point, even.

As for my first name, Fabian, well, let's just say I have an unreasonable bias against people named "Florian" <_<

Bubba
11-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Has anyone else had this problem with Starbucks specifically where they always put the wrong names on the cups? I've never had my actual name on a Starbucks cup. Bartek happened, Piotrek happened, but never Patryk. And even my wife, who has the most common female name in the world (Anna) had it mixed up at Starbucks. Sometimes I wonder if they do it on purpose.

I have never had this problem. Though this is probably due to the fact that I never go to Starbucks.

I commonly get called Tim on the phone. Why Tim I have no bloody clue. It's not like my name is even remotely similar. Steve and Tim are very different.

Iceglow
11-26-2017, 01:43 PM

I have never had this problem. Though this is probably due to the fact that I never go to Starbucks.

I commonly get called Tim on the phone. Why Tim I have no bloody clue. It's not like my name is even remotely similar. Steve and Tim are very different.

Hahaha

My experience with Starbucks has gotten that bad that I now just go in and say my name is "Clark" (as in Clark Kent) or "Bruce" You'd be pleasantly surprised how badly they spell those.

Sephex
11-26-2017, 06:53 PM
On the subject of Starbucks:

My sister has worked their for awhile, so I just asked her about the name thing. Interestingly enough, her store doesn't write names anymore. They get printed on stickers that get placed on cups (much like how some receipts will have your name on it at some restaurants).

Anyway, she said that most naming mistakes are literally people just being lazy or they had trouble hearing the name/misheard it. I told her of a theory I read online that employees do it on purpose because people will take pictures of an odd spelling of a name and post them online thus creating free advertisement. She just shook her head and said that people read way too much into things, and that it simply can be boiled down to simple miscommunication due to the busy nature of that place.

Example
12-11-2017, 10:56 PM
I used to get called "Martin" or "Michael" when neither are my real name (Matthew)