PDA

View Full Version : Telekinesis v. Psykinesis

Mercen-X
11-14-2017, 06:01 AM
This is likely nigh-on a dead discussion much more probably better suited to some other header like maybe the Lounge, but I'm moved to drop it in a hurry so forgive me a lapse in better judgement.

I was thinking recently on modern definitions on long-accepted terminology. One of these being the difference between telekinesis and psychokinesis. I found one thread in which a single commenter contradicted himself in saying there is no difference except the prefix of one means "far" and the other means "mind". Well, excuse me but that's a monumental difference.

In modern terms, telekinesis is not only possible but is actually accomplished everyday. We use "telekinesis" to control rc cars, aerial drones, and unmanned aircraft. Telekinesis, despite the long-accepted "supernatural" implications, is really nothing special given its definition.

If people were inclined to be accurate, we would be using the term psychokinesis or psykinesis to describe the all-too-well-known superpower.

Enihu... aside from that, any other words come to mind as being unnecessarily inaccurate?

Skyblade
11-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Telekinesis, despite the long-accepted "supernatural" implications, is really nothing special given its definition.

Unfortunately, you confuse "definition" with "etymology".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/telekinesis

Definition of telekinesis
:the production of motion in objects (as by a spiritualistic medium) without contact or other physical means

So, no. It is not something done "everyday". Drones, RC cars, and unmanned aircraft are all controlled via physical means.

The origin of the term itself is from the English "tele", meaning "at a distance", and the Greek "kinesis" (motion), itself formed from the root "kinein", which means "to move". But that does not mean the word means "to move at a distance".

Indeed, the term "telekinesis" is credited to one Alexander N. Aksakof (a researcher of psychic phenomena, among other things) in 1890. While "psychokinesis" was first used in 1914 by Henry Holt.

A portmanteau or a compound are linguistic constructs formed from combinations of other words. They do not necessarily have to directly relate to the definitions of the words that form them. "White-collar" does not define either a literal collar, nor something white.

While you may think that the word should mean something else, that does not mean that it does.

Fynn
11-14-2017, 01:08 PM
The origin of the term itself is from the English "tele", meaning "at a distance",

Actually, "tele" is Greek too

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tele-

English is a bit too young to influence such an old word