PDA

View Full Version : The Rule of Three Women

Forsaken Lover
11-23-2017, 01:26 PM
We were talking about how there are virtually no FF lady villains. Even in the games usually beloved for their writing like VI or XII, not a single female baddie in sight. VII only had friggin' Scarlet. The one and only female big bad was 20 years ago.

But then somebody pointed out an even weirder thing. From VI onward and with the obvious exception of XV or the MMO's, the playable party ALWAYS contains three women. Doesn't matter if the cast is huge like VI or it's just three people like X-2, there are only three ladies allowed to be playable.

VI: Celes, Terra, Relm
VII: Aerith, Tifa, Yuffie
VIII: Rinoa, Quistis, Selphie
IX: Garnet, Eiko, Freya
X: Yuna, Rikku, Lulu
X-2: Yuna, Rikku, Paine
XII: Ashe, Fran, Penelo
XIII: Lightning, Vanille, Fang

This can't be a coincidence It's so bizarre. I've been playing FF games all my life and never noticed this. I don't know what the reasoning behind it could be.

Fynn
11-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Earlier than that

IV: Rosa, Rydia, Porom
V: Lenna, Faris, Krile

But then again, this might not be exclusive to FF. Chrono Trigger has Marle, Lucca and Ayla, Xenogears has Elly, Emeralda and Maria, Xenoblade Chronicles has Sharla, Melia and Fiora, Xenosaga has KOS-MOS, Shion and MOMO, both Persona 2s have it (Maya, Ginko, Yukki / Maya, Ulala, Elly), etc. etc.

It's a thing. Funnily enough, it's even present in EoFF's very own fan game, Death of a Fansite, so you could just ask Psychotic :p

Pretty sure it's to meet a quota. Just enough to not be considered pure tokens, not enough to be """"too girly for boys to enjoy"""".

They're also there to fill archetypes. As Jinx herself put it best, regarding DoaF, "Pumpkin the cute one, Shauna the mom, Freya the whore".

Psychotic
11-23-2017, 01:41 PM
What makes it weird is the amount of males has no bearing on it. In FFV you only end up with one dude and in X-2 there are none whatsoever but it doesn't matter, three women and no less. Likewise in some of the bigger casts like VI or VII, nope, no more room, three women only.

It's a thing. Funnily enough, it's even present in EoFF's very own fan game, Death of a Fansite, so you could just ask Psychotic :p

Pretty sure it's to meet a quota. Just enough to not be considered pure tokens, not enough to be """"too girly for boys to enjoy"""".

They're also there to fill archetypes. As Jinx herself put it best, regarding DoaF, "Pumpkin the cute one, Shauna the mom, Freya the whore".That was purely based on who was in the top 10 posters, and could've been 10 females or 0 :D I did notice it at the time and thought it was funny though. I also strongly disagree with Jinx's assessments!

Scotty_ffgamer
11-23-2017, 05:41 PM
You did have Edea for a bit in VIII, giving you 4 different playable women in the game. The rule of 3 is odd though.

Fynn
11-23-2017, 05:44 PM
They're also there to fill archetypes. As Jinx herself put it best, regarding DoaF, "Pumpkin the cute one, Shauna the mom, Freya the whore".That was purely based on who was in the top 10 posters, and could've been 10 females or 0 :D I did notice it at the time and thought it was funny though. I also strongly disagree with Jinx's assessments![/QUOTE]

Rosa the wife/mother (in TAY), Porom the child, Rydia the whore

It fits XD

Also, it's an actual trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheThreeFacesofEve)!

Jinx
11-23-2017, 05:56 PM
They're also there to fill archetypes. As Jinx herself put it best, regarding DoaF, "Pumpkin the cute one, Shauna the mom, Freya the whore".That was purely based on who was in the top 10 posters, and could've been 10 females or 0 :D I did notice it at the time and thought it was funny though. I also strongly disagree with Jinx's assessments!

It fits XD

Also, it's an actual trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheThreeFacesofEve)![/QUOTE]

It's 100% a thing. You can also sub out maiden and crone, but it for sure works.

Jinx
11-23-2017, 06:00 PM

It fits XD

Also, it's an actual trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheThreeFacesofEve)!

It's 100% a thing. You can also sub out maiden and crone, but it for sure works.[/QUOTE]

But hey, you know me. I'll never pass up a chance to call Freya a whore. :^)

(inb4 she colberts me)

Fynn
11-23-2017, 06:03 PM
(in case there's a misunderstanding, I was only referring to them as DoaF characters; please don't kill me :O)

WarZidane
11-23-2017, 06:41 PM
On the other hand, XIII-2 and World of Final Fantasy had one female party member (or, if you count all the recruitable enemies, way more than 3), LR had only one and Type-0 had 7.

Anyway, seems to me like in semi-recent times they try to balance the female:male ratio, barring entries with only one playable character or only-female/only-male entries like FFXV and X-2. XII and XIII both had 6 party members, 3 of which were female. IX had 8 party members, 3 female/4 male/1 genderless. Type-0 had 14, 7 of which were female.

I chalk VI only having 3 female characters out of like 14 total up to the times and coincidence.

maybee
11-24-2017, 03:30 AM
Not only that, but it's usually always " love interest ", " tough/ misunderstood girl " and " cheerful one/ the kid "

Rosa, Rydia, Porom

Lena, Faris, Krile

Celes, Terra, Relm

Aerith, Tifa, Yuffie

Rinoa, Quistis, Selphie

Garnet/ Dagger, Freya, Eiko

Yuna, Lulu, Rikku

Ashe, Fran, Penelo

Serah, Fang and Vanille

Bubba
11-24-2017, 08:36 AM
I've used the rule of three women all my life. Though I've only been ever been able to sleep with one at a time.

Vyk
12-08-2017, 02:03 PM
It's weird that I've never noticed this before. Even BioWare (likely unwittingly) adheres to this trope with Dragon Age and Mass Effect and the first Knights of the Old Republic. Though now that I mentally dissect what's going on with them, at least recently, I can see it somewhat has to do with the class systems. You generally have rogue, fighter, mage, and you get girl examples of each. For some reason it doesn't matter if you get male duplicates of any. Is there a social/psychological construct where it sticks out more if "Whoops, we made 2 female mages on this team." Like we see the guys as just guys and have as many of whatever, their abilities don't matter we just need them in the story or on the team. Whereas girls are tied to their class and are more noticeable from a mechanical view? It's interesting...

Example
12-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Also worth noting is that each of the three females fits or is a combination of the same reused archetype in every FF (or at least from VII onwards) i.e the genki girl, the shy love interest and the one that's just there for the T&A.

Mercen-X
12-12-2017, 03:29 AM
In Chrono Cross, the female characters you could not avoid recruiting eventually as they were part of the story were Kid, Harle, and Sprigg.

In Radiata Stories, there was only Ridley. Every other chick was optional.

Spuuky
12-12-2017, 06:10 AM
Also worth noting is that each of the three females fits or is a combination of the same reused archetype in every FF (or at least from VII onwards) i.e the genki girl, the shy love interest and the one that's just there for the T&A.Quistis and Freya are "just there for the T&A"? That's the "archetype" you'd assign to them?

Fynn
12-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Freya’s definitely got tail!

Freya
12-12-2017, 05:57 PM

It fits XD

It's 100% a thing. You can also sub out maiden and crone, but it for sure works.

But hey, you know me. I'll never pass up a chance to call Freya a whore. :^)

(inb4 she colberts me)

How am I just seeing you all call me this, you hooligans. All of you are banned.

maybee
12-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Also worth noting is that each of the three females fits or is a combination of the same reused archetype in every FF (or at least from VII onwards) i.e the genki girl, the shy love interest and the one that's just there for the T&A.Quistis and Freya are "just there for the T&A"? That's the "archetype" you'd assign to them?

Quistis hangs around because she wants to get into some edgy seventeen year old's pants.

Freya ... poor girl just wants her lover to remember her again.... she also wants to fight for Burmecia and see it recover.

They are completely different characters.

Depression Moon
12-13-2017, 03:08 PM
IX has 4. You forgot Quina.

Fynn
12-13-2017, 03:36 PM
I’m not sure Quina would appreciate the fact you’re trying to confine him/her into the gender binary

Loony BoB
12-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Quina is technically genderless, right? If that's the case then I don't think Quina counts into this.

Quina
12-13-2017, 05:04 PM
I am what ever the world needs me to be.

Vyk
12-13-2017, 06:23 PM
But not what the world deserves you to be..

Jinx
12-13-2017, 06:34 PM
I’m not sure Quina would appreciate the fact you’re trying to confine him/her into the gender binary

Technically labeling their gender as him/her is also confining them inside the gender binary!

Psychotic
12-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Who spilled Tumblr all over my precious Eyes on FF?

Fynn
12-13-2017, 08:23 PM
I

Technically labeling their gender as him/her is also confining them inside the gender binary!

I’m just going by his/her preferred pronouns as used in-game

Jinx
12-13-2017, 08:46 PM
I

I’m just going by his/her preferred pronouns as used in-game

I believe they use s/he and his/her, not she/he.

That said, s/he is still inside the gender binary! There's nothing wrong with being part of the gender binary!

Fynn
12-13-2017, 08:50 PM
But if you’re both parts of the binary, is it still a binary to you?

Jinx
12-13-2017, 09:05 PM
But if you’re both parts of the binary, is it still a binary to you?

By the very definition of "both" and "binary", yes, yes it is.

Vyk
12-13-2017, 09:42 PM
But ... binary is one or the other. One and the other makes a third option of both

Jinx
12-13-2017, 09:52 PM
But ... binary is one or the other. One and the other makes a third option of both

Nope, it just means consisting of two.

Fynn
12-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Which is a third option, because by the very definition of binary, it’s one or the other, like Vyk said

Loony BoB
12-14-2017, 09:21 AM
I can't believe I'm delving into this, but...

He/she suggests one or the other, not both genders at the same time, and in that case I'd say Jinx is right. It's like an unknown or a flickering between the two options. If it were he-she, then that would suggest it is a combination of some kind, which would probably take it outside the binary.

I'm going more by grammar rules here than a massive education on gender though :shobon:

Jinx
12-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Which is a third option, because by the very definition of binary, it’s one or the other, like Vyk said

Being composed of things that exist firmly in the binary doesn't put it outside of the binary. Bigendered people are still binary, as their very gender is defined by the binary itself.

This is the hardest I've ever argued about something I don't really care about. xD

Fynn
12-14-2017, 02:54 PM
This is the hardest I've ever argued about something I don't really care about. xD

same

Scotty_ffgamer
12-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Why you care about small things? World very simple place. World only have two things: Things you can eat and things you no can eat.

Fynn
12-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Yeah everything in the world either is a potato or isn’t a potato

Psychotic
12-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Yeah everything in the world either is a potato or isn’t a potatohttps://i.imgur.com/G1F1ECN.jpg

Spuuky
12-15-2017, 11:04 PM
What about a french fry, which isn't a potato but isn't not a potato either?