PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions: 2018 Edition

Shauna
01-01-2018, 05:30 PM
So, we've talked about how our 2017 resolutions fell through on approximately the 4th January - let's talk about the upcoming year!

What are your goals for the year of our lord, 2018?

Galuf
01-01-2018, 05:47 PM
make as much money as i can to visit the american lands!! is my goal. i dont hav emuch resolutions other than to just keep being less cruel to people and be normal

fat_moogle
01-02-2018, 12:14 AM
I would really like to give up smoking, so I think I'm going to give it another try. My last attempt didn't go so well. I'd also like to eat healthier... I'm a sucker for fast food, sweets, chocolate and crisps. I can't remember the last time I ate a piece of fruit. And the thing is, I love fruit. I could also do with learning how to cook.

Scotty_ffgamer
01-02-2018, 03:04 AM
My main goal is to try to pay off most of my debts. I also want to try to get back into the habit of writing on a daily basis.

Darth Ganon
01-02-2018, 07:18 AM
As dumb as it sounds, beat more games. By backlog has become ridiculous and it would be nice to actually play the games I've bought.

There are no new games this year that I'm looking forward to and I'm not doing anything dumb like collecting Wii U or Dragon Quest games. That alone is a good start.

Fynn
01-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Okay here goes!

WRITE MORE!!! This includes 1. coming back to posting one short story per week on my blog, regardless of whether anyone bothers to read them or not and 2. Finishing AT LEAST the first draft of my novel!
GET IN SHAPE! I’ll get back to running as soon as it’s not freezing and uber wet, and I also need to sign up for a new gym because my old one closed down!
... the last one’s a secret for now :flirt:

Pumpkin
01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
The usual. Self improvement. Which I have managed each year, just not always as much as I'd like. I come armed with apps this year. Weight loss apps, mood tracker apps, self reflection apps. I also have a nee hobby of dressmaking and I'd like to get better at that. Also barring any setbacks, I might get my associates at the end of the year

Night Fury
01-02-2018, 02:44 PM
I would really like to start taking my professional life seriously this year. So I'd love to get a promotion and a raise by the time the year ends, and I don't mean the standard 7% raise, but something substantial.

I want to practice drawing at least a couple of times a week and really build that skill.

I don't want to set myself too many things to focus on, but instead try to be fully present in 2018 and enjoy it.

Psychotic
01-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I have many ideas for stories and games in my head. I'd like to start getting them out of this dumb old brain and complete one. Or at least make meaningful progress!

Freya
01-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Get Your trout Together 2018:

Pay off most of your debts
Do successfully in school while working and try not to go crazy
Get your Health under control
Lose all that weight you lost over 3 years that you gained back in 3 months thanks to health issues and diets.
Come out of 2018 in a better position financially.
Read 24 books!

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-05-2018, 03:06 AM
I made a list of goals and aspirations for 2018.

I didn't want to use the word resolution, though I reckon that's just because it has a lot of weight behind it. Too much pressure to not fail.

https://nosleepnotever.wordpress.com/

FFNut
01-05-2018, 12:28 PM
My biggest goal is to be able to work from home. More time with the kids, with my beautiful love of my life, and cut the dress of oil and gas out of my life.

Maybe start to try and eliminate unnecessary spending too. Picked up some old solar panels from work, built a battery bank and wired in a UPS which is a start. It gives the house 5 hours of power in case of a power failure.

Little things like this.

Aulayna
01-05-2018, 01:17 PM
36km challenge at Disneyland Paris this Sept
[*=left]Lose weight & be more aware of my mental health
Improve my photography
[*=left]Evolve my career
Learn more French

Old Manus
01-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Get better at darts. If Rob Cross can be an amateur one year and PDC World Champ 12 months later, why can't I (apart from a complete lack of natural talent)?

Depression Moon
01-06-2018, 05:01 AM
I want to get a game made.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-26-2018, 05:27 PM
So it's almost the end of January.

How many people's plans have crashed and burned?

I guess it's something like if you set a weight loss goal as a resolution, and you don't get it going by February, you're just going to push it off until your next resolution. Citation needed.

I'm still going strong, and have already done a few things I thought I wouldn't.

Shoeberto
01-26-2018, 07:42 PM
I have many ideas for stories and games in my head. I'd like to start getting them out of this dumb old brain and complete one. Or at least make meaningful progress!
What sort of games do you make?

I'd also like to work on my game more, but my time has been getting sucked away a lot lately. But I'd like to feel more creatively productive in 2018.
(and in response to LWL, this is going poorly :))

Sarisa
04-18-2018, 07:57 AM
The main one is to decide on what I want to do for the rest of my life, and go back to college to finish the degree for it. I have a Liberal Arts degree (basically just clears out gen eds so you can transfer to a 4 year program) but I refuse to take out student loans (I've heard way too many horror stories of how quickly that debt piles up) and I'm having a hard time justifying the costs for the fields I'm interested in (did you know becoming a librarian requires 6 YEARS of college, yet makes less than most 2 year degrees!?).

Next up is to finish those cosplays that have been hogging up space in my closet for years. I've made pretty good progress on getting my Tales cosplay up and going, but I've still got the Fabric for a Pokemon one just sitting in a box, and I just added to the problem by buying fabric to make a Kikyo one. I'd also like to cosplay Cynthia and a white mage at some point too...

Next is to get a better figure, which is on the list every year but is always the first thing to get dropped. I remember hating being overweight in highschool, now I wish I could go back to being that size. I have started getting 6 inch subs instead of footlongs for lunch and I've made an effort to put more veggies on them, but that's honestly all I've done and there's clearly no difference to be had in the attractiveness department.

Mostly it's just trying to get a plan for the future so I can be happier. Or at least financially self sufficient. Having more friends would be nice too, but that's easier said than done.

Bubba
04-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Survive

Darkhero
04-18-2018, 02:23 PM
My main goal is to be more positive. Been working on it for a while and I've been making progress.
- Get a part time job. Done, although it's left me with less free time for other things
- Stream more consistently. With job + coursework and the past couple winters being hard on my health, I've put this off until May
- Beat more games and finish the ones I started (see above)
- Read more
- Take up a new hobby or learn something new computer/technology related
- Be more active on the online
- Start contributing/making something (not sure what yet, maybe a journal would be a good start)
- Be less self-conscious about myself
- Survive