PDA

View Full Version : Travel

CimminyCricket
01-28-2018, 03:13 AM
I'm in Okinawa for the next year or so for work and I haven't really done a whole lot of traveling.

When you go somewhere for work, what are some of the things you try to make sure you go out and see?

I've eaten out at local places and stuff, but I don't think I've gone too far north or south on this island and I think I'll do something this next weekend.

Shoeberto
01-29-2018, 02:14 PM
We're pretty big on using TripAdvisor to find the highlights, but also just talking to the locals to get some advice is useful. We're only ever in a place for a few days at a time, though, so it's a bit different.

But yeah, ask around. Most people are usually pretty excited when you're curious about a place that they've lived for a long time.

Bubba
02-01-2018, 09:02 AM
We're pretty big on using TripAdvisor to find the highlights

I read a great article recently about a guy who posted loads of reviews on Trip Advisor about his new restaurant... that didn't actually exist! I thought it was hilarious. He took 'artistic' pictures of his foot and posted pictures saying it was gammon :lol:

It ended up getting to be the No. 1 restaurant in London!

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/07/fake-restaurant-became-londons-number-one-tripadvisor-7140853/

Shoeberto
02-01-2018, 01:56 PM

I read a great article recently about a guy who posted loads of reviews on Trip Advisor about his new restaurant... that didn't actually exist! I thought it was hilarious. He took 'artistic' pictures of his foot and posted pictures saying it was gammon :lol:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/07/fake-restaurant-became-londons-number-one-tripadvisor-7140853/
This is why Brits will always have better comedy than Americans. They know how to commit to a joke.

Loony BoB
02-02-2018, 03:20 PM

That is hilarious xD However, I will say that TripAdvisor has rarely if ever let me down so far, especially if it's about things to do rather than places to eat / stay overnight. Things to do often include stuff you can do for free and if those things have high ratings then it's probably worth the trip. I still use it to get a feel for trends in complaints on hotels and for restaurants, well, I just use it to go "well this place has a rating of 2 and it's expensive so fuck that".

Mr Gashtacular
02-04-2018, 01:35 PM
flffy pff

Chibi Youkai
02-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Japan is great for the random little shrines everywhere. So even if you don't hit up a big-name area, walk around, and try and find the little places.

Shoeberto
02-06-2018, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=gasher;3683037]flffy pff[/QUOTE
THIS WILL BE YOU'RE FIRST AND LAST WARNING!

Pheesh
02-09-2018, 09:37 AM
When I went to America I did the obvious one's mostly because it wasn't really a sightseeing trip. I saw the Grand Canyon, Golden Gate Bridge, Empire State Building etc. but didn't look for local hotspots and places off the beaten path or anything like that. I probably drunkenly stumbled into some of those places, but definitely wasn't actively seeking them out.

The couple times I've traveled with Night Fury we've tried to fit in at least one nice, high end place to eat.

Freya
02-09-2018, 04:18 PM
When you go somewhere for work, what are some of the things you try to make sure you go out and see?

Oh I never go places for work :( So I can't answer that portion of it.

I can answer partially because we do travel personally. We usually try to eat at one local place at least. You can always tell how a place really is by the local food.

CimminyCricket
02-10-2018, 04:03 PM
I love the answers and have spent quite a bit of time eating some of the local cuisine. It is fantastic out here!

Mr. Carnelian
02-11-2018, 01:28 PM
I love the answers and have spent quite a bit of time eating some of the local cuisine. It is fantastic out here!

Have you tried rafute yet? It’s an absolutely delicious Okinawa pork dish, definitely has the Mr. Carnelian seal of approval.