PDA

View Full Version : Saving Cid

Lone Wolf Leonhart
01-29-2018, 05:41 AM
Did you bother?

As soon as you gain control of Celes, you immediately have to run out and bring back fast fish from the ocean. Something like 10 times? Meanwhile, he loses 1 HP from his invisible health meter every second you leave him alone.

I just got to the World of Ruin on my current playthrough. I read a walkthrough to remind me how to save Cid, and by the time I looked up it was too late. He died. If you don't get at those fish right away he dies in 30 seconds.

I didn't want to reset. This happened on my first playthrough, too. It feels fitting for the direction of Celes character arc and sets the stage for how the World of Ruin has treated this world.

Fynn
01-29-2018, 06:09 AM
I managed to do it once and was kinda let down? The segment really loses a lot of its impact if he doesn’t die, as harsh as that sounds

Wolf Kanno
01-29-2018, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I did it once when I learned you could do it, but the optional scene you get for letting him die is so much better so I purposely feed him the sick fish nowadays.

Krizzy
01-29-2018, 11:56 AM
I don't remember Cid dying during my first playthrough. I guess I just got lucky. :eek:

I was surprised when I found out (on youtube) that Celes attempted suicide and I wish I had failed in saving Cid, since the scene shows hopelessness which is perfect to the world of ruin. It would have made the game more impactful.

Shiva95
01-29-2018, 01:01 PM
I always purposely not save him to be honest. Celes' suicide attempt, and then finding her hope in Locke's bandana, is a really important moment for a character development and also to show what the world of ruins is in general. I also feel like her ending sequence really doesn't have the main impact without it.

CimminyCricket
01-30-2018, 04:27 AM
I think I let him die once and then loaded a save game and went to save him.

Bubba
02-01-2018, 08:51 AM
He's supposed to die. It was nice of the game to include a scenario where he doesn't die, I think they knew people would be frustrated if they couldn't. Though the fact that there is little to no reward for doing so makes it clear the game wants you to experience his death. As previously stated, the scene has far more of an impact with his passing and Celes' subsequent suicide attempt.

Kibbs Kibbard
02-10-2018, 04:13 PM
He's always died in my play through, like many others, I agree it has a greater impact on Celes character development and bring's the WoR into perspective.