PDA

View Full Version : Needs more love'in

maybee
02-26-2018, 03:26 AM
What characters do you think need more love in the FF series ? What characters do you feel are just too underrated and ignored by the FF fandom ?

Example
02-26-2018, 04:11 AM
The Turks from FF7 for sure. I liked how even though they were supposed to kill Cloud and friends they worked alongside them more often than not, and on their off days just let them go. It's a shame they'll only ever be remembered as clowns for comic relief thanks to Advent Children.

MJN SEIFER
02-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Cait Sith by far. He's a fun character to use in my opinion, and I love Slots. I know that one of them can kill you, but I don't think that ever happened with me, and I don't mind him being a traitor at first because that simply part of the story. I understand that the fact that he captures Marlene makes it hard to redeem him, but because that never really goes anywhere, so I would be surprised if that's all SquareSoft could think of to ensure you kept him around long enough to redeem himself.

Fynn
02-26-2018, 01:46 PM
The cast of XII. They’re a fantastic bunch, all of them, that have far more depth than people give them credit for. Perhaps it’s harder to relate since the story isn’t as character-centered as the others, but they’re still great in that more subtle, grounded way. They’re easily my favorite cast in the numbered series simply because they feel so genuinely human to me.

Krizzy
02-27-2018, 05:58 AM
CELES

Despite the opera scene being one of the most iconic moments in FF history, fans seem to have forgotten about her, I've never seen her in top 10 FF characters or anything - but Lightning is usually there...seriously??? :roll2

maybee
02-27-2018, 08:12 AM
CELES

Despite the opera scene being one of the most iconic moments in FF history, fans seem to have forgotten about her, I've never seen her in top 10 FF characters or anything - but Lightning is usually there...seriously??? :roll2

Interesting because she's the OG tough soldier girl. It was awesome to see her in World Of Final Fantasy though.

The cast of XII. They’re a fantastic bunch, all of them, that have far more depth than people give them credit for. Perhaps it’s harder to relate

IDK. I too would love to hang around with Fran. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shiva95
02-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Locke. He's always ignored by SE and by the fans, even if he was considered for the first Dissidia. He has a very tragic backstory, and is a very complete character. He's really one of my fave!

Edge7
02-28-2018, 04:25 AM
Agree with Fynn on the XII cast. Replaying FFVII, I've noticed that Barret and Aerith are much better characters than I originally gave them credit for. I wish Aerith got more screen time, because as it stands the most interesting things about her character are the ones given the least attention.

I was always under the impression that Locke is among the more popular FFVI characters.

Krizzy
03-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Interesting because she's the OG tough soldier girl. It was awesome to see her in World Of Final Fantasy though.

Yes, I was also so glad to see her in WoFF, we get a glimpse of the opera and she dances with the main characters during the end credits, that makes her a main protagonist too.

Locke. He's always ignored by SE and by the fans, even if he was considered for the first Dissidia. He has a very tragic backstory, and is a very complete character. He's really one of my fave!

Yes, he's ignored not only by fans but by Square too :cry: Characters like him and Zidane are my favorites, I'm not into emo ones, like you know.

maybee
03-03-2018, 03:01 AM
Yes, he's ignored not only by fans but by Square too :cry: Characters like him and Zidane are my favorites, I'm not into emo ones, like you know.

... Advent Children Cloud ??

Krizzy
03-06-2018, 01:28 PM

Cloud is emo, but he's kinda cool so he's ok. ;)

I'm referring to Squall and Lightning in particular ^^

maybee
03-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Squall is not emo though, Squall has a sort of separation anxiety due to childhood trauma. To be fair, nobody in the Final Fantasy series is really "emo ", Cloud has depression and PTSD, Squall has separation anxiety, and Light is angry because her sister is sleeping inside a crystal.

Example
03-07-2018, 10:29 PM

Squall is not emo though, Squall has a sort of separation anxiety due to childhood trauma. To be fair, nobody in the Final Fantasy series is really "emo ", Cloud has depression and PTSD, Squall has separation anxiety, and Light is angry because her sister is sleeping inside a crystal.

WORST BIRTHDAY EVER

Vyk
03-07-2018, 11:53 PM
I'll always have a soft spot for Sabin. That was the era where my friends and I named the characters after ourselves, and that's the one I ended up being. Plus I like his outlook on politics and his ability to walk away from the temptation of power and authority to go live a peaceful life as a monk. A peaceful combat monk; who's always willing to help hold up an entire building to make sure everyone gets out safely

maybee
03-09-2018, 01:29 AM

WORST BIRTHDAY EVER

https://orig00.deviantart.net/a600/f/2010/108/9/d/worst__birthday__ever__by_vr_eli.png

Worst. Birthday. Ever.

MJN SEIFER
03-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Squall is not emo though, Squall has a sort of separation anxiety due to childhood trauma. To be fair, nobody in the Final Fantasy series is really "emo ", Cloud has depression and PTSD, Squall has separation anxiety, and Light is angry because her sister is sleeping inside a crystal. Vincent always seemed the most "emo" out of the ones I know, and even he has reason to be the way he is...

Krizzy
03-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Ok let's say "boring characters" instead.

Fynn
03-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Squall is a fascinating character

Vyk
03-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Is there a disconnect between emo as a style and emo as a personality? Because I always associated Squall as emo as well. Though upon reflection, I suppose he's more goth in mindset, where nothing matters and its not worth trying because the world he wants to enjoy is in a constant state of decay and he can't help but see the pointlessness in it all. Until he gets his head out of his ass. But either way, he has a hugely negative and pessimistic attitude and it was a major turn-off for me, having to follow a character like that for 50 hours of gameplay, wanting to slap him every step of the way. The things he said and the way he acted with people who genuinely wanted to be his friend, and were genuinely trying to be his friend, and yet he continually struggled with loneliness. He was making his problems worse on his own by not getting out of his own head. Which is a symptom that most emo people fall into. An internal downward spiral of their own mind. So to me he's emo, no matter the technical clarifications. And what's worse is I don't think they intended him to be that way, I feel like the writers intended a sympathetic character

Fynn
03-11-2018, 07:11 AM
He was pragmatic. He distanced himself from others because he believed that allowed him to do his job better. And thanks to that he acted and actually got shit done, while being conflicted inside. Nothing “goth” or “emo” about it - he was a soldier who had a hard time communicating with others due to personal trauma.

Example
03-11-2018, 07:33 AM
I always found it odd that nobody else in the game had a problem with Squall being a complete and utter wanker. Like, no matter what he says or does to them they're constantly sucking up to him like their lives depended on it.

maybee
03-11-2018, 09:11 AM
I always found it odd that nobody else in the game had a problem with Squall being a complete and utter wanker. Like, no matter what he says or does to them they're constantly sucking up to him like their lives depended on it.

Rinoa: "Oh, you're just a great leader, aren't you... Do you actually have fun
acting so callous towards your comrades?"

Rinoa: "Don't you ever worry about or even think about the well-being of your
comrades!?"

Quistis: "Oh! Stop that! What are you talking about!? Why did you go all the way out into space to save Rinoa!? To hand her over to Esthar!? So
that you might never see her again!? No, right!? Wasn't it because you wanted to be with Rinoa? You're a fool."

Selphie: "... Squall...being sensitive? That's weird. You're the last person I expected to cheer me up. I must really look depressed."

Selphie: "Uh-oh! There you go again into your own little world. And you're not gonna share anything, huh?"

Rinoa: "What's so funny!? You're terrible! So...why do you think Seifer may
already be dead?"

Rinoa: "...You're mean. MEANY!!!" Squall: (What's with her...?) "...Sorry."

I don't remember/ couldn't find anything with the guys, but the women for sure call out on Squall's bulltrout. I guess Irvine is just there for Selphie and the nostalgia really, and anybody is better than Seifer when it comes to Zell's mind ?

Fynn
03-13-2018, 10:48 AM
I love how the conversation just ended here :p

Loony BoB
03-13-2018, 02:11 PM
Snow.

Krizzy
03-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Well said, Vyk!

The only redeeming thing about Squall is his good looking-ness. He should be happy at least he's got that, or Rinoa wouldn't put up with him.

Mercen-X
03-16-2018, 04:14 PM
Had a longer reply. Got deleted because internet is stupid.

Too lazy to rewrite. My pick is Genesis (FF7)

Example
03-17-2018, 12:09 AM
Had a longer reply. Got deleted because internet is stupid.

Too lazy to rewrite. My pick is Genesis (FF7)

Really? Genesis? Out of all the FF characters (not counting Dirge of Cerberus because fuck that game) why Genesis?

Spooky Coffee
03-17-2018, 01:20 AM
I think Reeve is really underappreciated. (Just look at my avatar!) Even though he kidnapped Marlene so that AVALANCHE would let Cait Sith tag along after being outed as a mole, she was never in any danger. He was the only Shinra executive with a conscience and the only one of them to survive the events of VII before we knew that Rufus survived, who then went on to found the WRO. Then there's his looks. :D

Black Magic Shopkeeper
03-19-2018, 10:13 PM
ok but Marcus from Tantalus? Hello? What a good bro.