PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry? What Rivalry?

Wolf Kanno
03-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Console wars, mascot wars, franchise wars? Let's be honest, it's all silly nonsense that some gamers dive into despite all their efforts are simply denying themselves some great games/consoles to play on. So what are some rivalries you were fortunate enough to take the high road and play both sides of the "conflict"?

Spuuky
03-06-2018, 11:29 PM
All of them. But that doesn't mean there aren't some "rivalries" in which one side is in reality much, much better than the other.

Kibbs Kibbard
03-07-2018, 12:36 AM
Playstation and Nintendo 64, Playstation 2 and Gamecube, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 and I only bought a Playstation 4 since I had kids since the last generation release plus I've always been a fan of Playstation, grew up on Nintendo as well. I'm not too fond of the Xbox line, I love a Microsoft PC gaming system for specific games (mostly RTS and MMO).

Don't get me wrong, if it was a legitimate war where we fought and died for; I would be a True Neutral son of a whore and wouldn't pick a side. I won't shun a controller if a fellow gamer asked me to play with however.

YoshioKST
03-07-2018, 01:36 AM
Ehhh it's not just about brand loyalty or denying myself the right--- I personally hate the 360 because it was awful for fighting games but since it was the dominant console in my area, everyone I knew played their fighters on one. I gre to hate that d-pad and the xbox name so very damn much. But the time I had the money for it, I got myself a PS3 and played my fighters online instead. It also helped I didn't approve of the subscription-based online, which in the end encouraged Sony to charge for PS Plus online on the current gen as well.

Mercen-X
03-09-2018, 03:46 PM
I never bought into any rivalry. My loyalty to PlayStation has been purely financial. I can't afford to buy every system because it may have a couple games I'm interested in playing. I have about 30 games for one, I had about 100 for PS2 until I sold roughly half of them to fund my trip to Canada back in '09. My parents did get me a Wii and an Xbox for my birthday, both from thrift shops. I've only played Star Wars and Fable on Xbox so far and almost nothing interesting on the Wii. I recently picked up Epic Mickey, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy that one.

I think I still have a 64 boxed up somewhere too (it's been a while). I had to buy a traditional controller since I couldn't stand the 64's design and layout.

Psychotic
03-09-2018, 04:05 PM
I got stuck into the Xbox 360 vs PS3 debate a little bit on EoFF, as it was fun to wind up a certain member who is no longer active but was very vocal about Sony's superiority. I do own and like both consoles though, so. :greenie: I also got stuck into PS1 vs N64 on the side of Sony while I was in primary school but again I picked up an N64 a couple of years later.

Other than that, I've never really got involved and I'm at the point now where I don't especially care and I guess it's because I've owned consoles from all of the current big three. I've gone back to the PS4 over the Xbox One and I really like it, but I'm sure I'd enjoy the latter if I had one instead.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-09-2018, 04:34 PM
I never really bought into the rivalries. As a kid, I was fortunate enough to have most of the consoles. I don’t remember any other kids bringing up the rivalries on the playground or anything either. As I grew older, I did become more of a Sony guy because that was where the jrpgs I wanted to play was on, but I still always got Nintendo’s systems. Xbox is weird for me as they are the only systems I’ve sold because I didn’t play them enough.... but I usually regretted it and ended up buying again because of suddenly being in the mood to play some Halo or Lost Odyssey or whatever else I played.

maybee
03-10-2018, 03:04 AM
I remember a little bit of the whole classic Nintendo vs Sega war, but I stopped and realized that the whole "fight " over consoles was stupid when I got a SNES a few years later.