PDA

View Full Version : Characters people idolize that aren’t very good people

Scotty_ffgamer
03-31-2018, 05:58 PM
This is something that’s come back to mind after seeing various Office posts on Facebook. Jim is a big focus on the show and made to be a likable guy, and I’ve heard people talk about how much they wish they could have a Jim in their lives. However, if you think about it, he isn’t that great of a guy.

Anyways, what are some characters in various media that seem to be well liked and made out to be a hero of sorts that really aren’t that good of people?

Skyblade
04-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Walter White.

Jinx
04-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Cid from FFVII.

maybee
04-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Homer and Bart Simpson.

Wolf Kanno
04-02-2018, 03:06 AM
Son Goku. When it comes down to it, he's actually a pretty lousy father and husband.

maybee
04-02-2018, 11:33 PM
Son Goku. When it comes down to it, he's actually a pretty lousy father and husband.

http://78.media.tumblr.com/06f76629f3ee64adc6a11e641a3e0104/tumblr_nzt27r1evL1u8wu1co2_500.gif
http://78.media.tumblr.com/9ad4db401d7d82a2f4aa7de684127003/tumblr_nzt27r1evL1u8wu1co3_500.gif

http://78.media.tumblr.com/22d86708bb23a47f77c06ae4b438a34a/tumblr_nzt27r1evL1u8wu1co5_500.gif

Vermachtnis
04-04-2018, 05:31 AM
This guy is a monster, but the thirsty internet don't care.

https://i.imgur.com/IkkgyXw.jpg

Jinx
04-04-2018, 02:28 PM
This guy is a monster, but the thirsty internet don't care.

https://i.imgur.com/IkkgyXw.jpg

you're right, we don't

Freya
04-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Snape.

He's an asshole who abused children cause his crush never liked him back.

Mirage
04-05-2018, 02:33 AM
luke skywalker

Jinx
04-05-2018, 02:05 PM
luke skywalker

but he was going to tosche station to pick up some power converters!

Example
04-05-2018, 02:47 PM

Yep, same goes for Vegeta. Piccolo was a far better father figure and role model than both of them combined.

Chibi Youkai
04-07-2018, 05:03 AM

Yep, same goes for Vegeta. Piccolo was a far better father figure and role model than both of them combined.

Agreed. He was a far better father figure than any of the fathers in Dragonball. Actually, is it just me or is that kind of a thing in that series? None of the father figures are worth anything, just about. Maybe Chichi's father was okay, but I can't recall any other male parent that was worth anything in that department.

FF is really good at producing less than stellar examples. Sephiroth, Zenos, basically any of their pretty-boy bad guys fall into this category.

maybee
04-07-2018, 05:22 AM
Snape.

Snape is more creepy than Voldemort.

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2018, 05:27 AM

Agreed. He was a far better father figure than any of the fathers in Dragonball. Actually, is it just me or is that kind of a thing in that series? None of the father figures are worth anything, just about. Maybe Chichi's father was okay, but I can't recall any other male parent that was worth anything in that department.

FF is really good at producing less than stellar examples. Sephiroth, Zenos, basically any of their pretty-boy bad guys fall into this category.

Dr. Briefs isn't too bad if you don't count the abridged dub. There are a few side characters in Dragonball that are actually pretty good figures as well. Oddly, while Vegeta is terrible at first, he actually grows into a much better figure as the series goes on, especially in Super where he actually turns down fighting in a tournament because Bulma is going to give birth to their daughter.

Honestly, even some of the heroes from FF aren't exactly stellar role models. Leon betrays his friends, Bartz is a total ditz who probably wouldn't have made it half as far without the rest of the cast, Setzer kidnaps women, AVALANCHE blows up reactors and stops the one person actually doing something about the end of the world, Squall is an emotionally detached jerk, Zidane sexually harasses women and steals for a living, X's cast follows a cult that is willing to sacrifice people for temporary relief, Vana'diel is just full of assholes, Ashe spends most of the game debating about nuking her enemies into oblivion, Lightning has major anger management issues and assaults the party all the time... just to name a few.

Crop
04-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Snape.

Yep, this is the big one for me!

Mr. Carnelian
04-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Does anyone actually like Snape these days? I feel like people rightly disliking him for his many and varied issues is the norm now.

WarZidane
04-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Kratos (the God of War one). Granted, he fits right in with Greek gods. :p

Vyk
04-08-2018, 02:20 AM
Doctor Gregory House, anyone? Definitely not a good person. Very toxic. But as Wilson once said, he may not be a good person, but he is a force of good within the universe, and I imagine most of us can agree with that. Unless he's your boss, your subordinate, or your friend. You're alright

Chibi Youkai
04-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Dr. Briefs isn't too bad if you don't count the abridged dub. There are a few side characters in Dragonball that are actually pretty good figures as well. Oddly, while Vegeta is terrible at first, he actually grows into a much better figure as the series goes on, especially in Super where he actually turns down fighting in a tournament because Bulma is going to give birth to their daughter.

Honestly, even some of the heroes from FF aren't exactly stellar role models. Leon betrays his friends, Bartz is a total ditz who probably wouldn't have made it half as far without the rest of the cast, Setzer kidnaps women, AVALANCHE blows up reactors and stops the one person actually doing something about the end of the world, Squall is an emotionally detached jerk, Zidane sexually harasses women and steals for a living, X's cast follows a cult that is willing to sacrifice people for temporary relief, Vana'diel is just full of assholes, Ashe spends most of the game debating about nuking her enemies into oblivion, Lightning has major anger management issues and assaults the party all the time... just to name a few.

Hm, I completely forgot about Dr. Briefs. Haven't seen Super yet either, should probably add it to the list. And you make a good point, most of FF's mains are kind of asshats. Oooh, that reminds me. Luke from Tales of the Abyss. He totally falls into this category.

WarZidane
04-09-2018, 07:12 PM
I dunno about Luke, the whole point of his journey is that he's terrible at the start but matures over the course of the game and is actually a decent guy at the end. Also I think everyone agrees he's terrible at the start :p