Fynn
04-05-2018, 04:56 PM
You are both wrong simply due to FFXII

Freya
04-05-2018, 04:58 PM
I am offended.

WarZidane
04-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Well, best single player Final Fantasy. When you throw multiplayer ones into the mix, even I drop it from my #1 position :p

Jinx
04-05-2018, 05:15 PM

well

that's not so much a game as it is a steaming pile of hot refuse

Fynn
04-05-2018, 05:16 PM

well

that's not so much a game as it is a steaming pile of hot refuse

does it hurt to be so wrong or is it just bliss in ignorance

Wolf Kanno
04-05-2018, 10:59 PM
It's the best PlayStation 1 entry. :wcanoe:

Freya
04-05-2018, 11:52 PM

Also said by WK

I'd probably say 1990-2000, you would be hard pressed to find any truly awful games released by Square in this decade. Even Enix largely released some stellar hits like DQV-VII, E.V.O., Robotrek, and the first two Star Ocean games.

So if the 90 to 2000 era is the best, that leads me to believe that it could be considered THE best but then

Probably VI, then IV, then VII in that order. Those three games I've probably played more than the others and have lost count how many times it has been. Every other game, I have played between one to four times by now depending on title.

You're probably bias toward those entries it seems. Techincally that leaves VI and IV really since VII is in the PS1 catagory.

So per WK, probably, best FF is VI, IV and then IX?

Vyk
04-06-2018, 12:05 AM
But ... Trance ....

Wolf Kanno
04-06-2018, 12:06 AM

Also said by WK

I'd probably say 1990-2000, you would be hard pressed to find any truly awful games released by Square in this decade. Even Enix largely released some stellar hits like DQV-VII, E.V.O., Robotrek, and the first two Star Ocean games.

So if the 90 to 2000 era is the best, that leads me to believe that it could be considered THE best but then

Probably VI, then IV, then VII in that order. Those three games I've probably played more than the others and have lost count how many times it has been. Every other game, I have played between one to four times by now depending on title.

You're probably bias toward those entries it seems. Techincally that leaves VI and IV really since VII is in the PS1 catagory.

So per WK, probably, best FF is VI, IV and then IX?

You did read my list (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/170194-WK-s-Top-something-or-other-let-s-just-say-quot-games-quot-and-call-it-good-list?p=3677185&viewfull=1#post3677185)right?

Third best numbered entry, fourth best entry when FFTactics is accounted for.

Freya
04-06-2018, 01:33 AM
Oh yeah I forgot when you did that. Darn here I thought I was doing great sourcing stuff

Scotty_ffgamer
04-06-2018, 04:06 AM
IX is great. Sometimes it is my #1 final fantasy. VIII is usually my favorite due mostly to being my introduction into the series and a lot of nostalgia though. I admit IX is the better game though.

Psychotic
04-06-2018, 09:33 AM
No game is better than this one,

fight me.Don't need to, already did and whooped your ass all the way back to Lindblum (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/161736-EoFF-Ranks-Final-Fantasy-Final-Vote-FFVII-vs-FFIX).

Fynn
04-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Obligatory “but VII is bad” comment

Psychotic
04-06-2018, 09:44 AM
do you wanna have an xii vs vii poll little man? keep running your mouth about my precious husbando simulator and see where it gets you

Fynn
04-06-2018, 10:13 AM
no u

maybee
04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
But.... Final Fantasy VI....

Karifean
04-06-2018, 05:34 PM
Obligatory

dKBz1KsQY1Y

Example
04-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Not with that slow as fuck battle system it ain't.

Mirage
04-07-2018, 01:19 PM
ff9 is pretty boring with even more boring gameplay. some music is ok i guess

Freya
04-07-2018, 02:14 PM
It's only slow cause you're an impatient person who expects instant gratification. Slow down, enjoy life.

WarZidane
04-07-2018, 02:43 PM
The battle speed (read: loading times) is a hardware issue, not a game issue ;)

Example
04-07-2018, 05:07 PM
How come no other JRPG on the PS1 has that issue?

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Hate to break it to you, but while the loading issue for the battles is certainly a hardware issue. The battle speed is actually intentional. Sakaguchi wanted battles to feel closer to the NES era than the ATB era.

Freya
04-07-2018, 05:20 PM
How come no other JRPG on the PS1 has that issue?

Hate to break it to you, but while the loading issue for the battles is certainly a hardware issue. The battle speed is actually intentional. Sakaguchi wanted battles to feel closer to the NES era than the ATB era.

So this again

It's only slow cause you're an impatient person who expects instant gratification. Slow down, enjoy life.

I bet you all are "them dang millennials :argh:"

WarZidane
04-07-2018, 06:09 PM

That's why I specified loading times, the other part of the battle system's speed isn't an issue :D

Wolf Kanno
04-07-2018, 06:32 PM

That's why I specified loading times, the other part of the battle system's speed isn't an issue :D

Agreed, I don't actually mind slower battles.

Mirage
04-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Well maybe, just maybe, Square should have opted for assets that were quicker to load, then. Like they did in FF8.

Loony BoB
04-10-2018, 02:44 PM
In the end, FFVII is the one people have been throwing themselves into volcanoes for just to get a remake happening. Best game of all time, not just best Final Fantasy. Perhaps Freya just can't think of FFVII as best FF because FFVII transcends all reasonable expectations and ratings for a mere video game, and has evolved into a beautiful, invaluable thing of it's own right. "What's your favourite Final Fantasy" almost presumes that you're not including Final Fantasy VII because the very question suggests that there is a choice, and if Final Fantasy VII is included in those choices, the question become rhetorical. If you don't include FFVII, I guess you can squabble over your IX, X and XII or whatever else.

Fynn
04-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Disc one definitely had good atmosphere. Too bad they forgot to think about where the plot should go after that :monster:

IX is really probably the most balanced PSX-era FF when it comes to the story. It knows what it wants to say from start to finish and paces everything well. This is in stark contrast to FFVII and VIII, of which discs 2 and 3 respectively just toss all sanity out the window and nothing makes sense anymore. Worked way better in VIII than VII tbh, because while in VII it just felt like someone didn’t know what they were doing, with VIII it was just so enjoyably campy and insane.

Depression Moon
04-10-2018, 03:39 PM
You're not lying Freya. It's the game that made me a gamer and steered my path in life. I wanted to develop games because of IX.

maybee
04-11-2018, 07:35 AM
FFIX is fantastic, but that slow battle system and trance.....

:-/

Darkhero
04-12-2018, 01:51 AM
I'll always have a soft spot for VI, but IX is a fantastic game. I also have some history with it since it was the first game I streamed on Twitch back in 2015.

Krizzy
04-16-2018, 02:26 PM
For the longest time, I considered IX to be the best and until now, I love it, 15+ years later.

But recently the top spot has been taken by VI and I never thought it would happen, only after playing it for the 3rd time! It took me 3 playthroughs to appreciate it.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
04-26-2018, 09:30 AM
...IX is my favorite. But I'm not going to say it's "the best" because I know its flaws.
Just so, I can't allow people to say VII or VI are "the best", because they too have flaws which need to be taken into account before and after gushing about them. VII is one of my least favorites, not because of the execution, but because the fanbase made it seem better than I perceived it to be (while simultaneously throwing shade at fans of other entries). I ended up confused, angry and disappointed after several playthroughs. ....So what.

Many, usually among the hoards of Patriotic VII fans, will say the same about IX. That they were disappointed by it. But guess what: These people are gonna be biased. I, myself, am biased. Our styles all differ. I will always prefer IX's story, characters, music, presentation, and overall color palette over any of the others. Why? Because it suits me.

So yeah... I don't have a "best". Just a "favorite", which I will defend if need be. And that's all I have to say about that.

Bubba
04-26-2018, 09:51 AM
I'm only halfway through my first playthrough but it has been excellent so far. I'm not even that bothered by the slow fights (although Trance can be annoying). I'm not massively keen on Zidane as I think he's a bit of a sleazy bastard but the other characters are fantastic so far.

I can't see it overtaking FFVII as my favourite but it's still one of the better entries.