PDA

View Full Version : Where would you like to see devs go in the future?

Vincent, Thunder God
04-13-2018, 02:48 PM
A lot of developers (especially AAA) are moving away from the kind of games that parts of their earlier fanbase enjoyed, or simply rehashing the same kinds of gameplay - so what series would you like to see your favourite developers revisit, or what new types of IP would you like them to create (even if it's unlikely/impossible)?

I'd like to see a sequel to Bully from Rockstar, a proper KOTOR 3 or Jade Empire 2 from Bioware or a new Monkey Island from Ron Gilbert (if Disney gave him the rights).

Darkhero
04-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Sega to make a new single player Phantasy Star or Skies of Arcadia.

Ubisoft to make another Beyond Good & Evil, which doesn't look like is happening at this point.

I also agree about KOTOR 3.

Mr. Carnelian
04-13-2018, 05:16 PM
I would LOVE a Jade Empire 2, a Jade Empire remaster/remake, or both. That would be awesome.

Wolf Kanno
04-14-2018, 04:49 AM
In terms of games or franchises I wouldn't mind seeing again, realistically speaking, I feel like Squenix could do a Chrono 3. It's at least in their ability to give us one. Whether it would be good is another story but whatever. Frankly, I wish SE was better with collections. They haven't really done a normal one since the PS1 era, but I really feel like if they really wanted to bring out some of their lesser franchises out here, it would be better to just repackage them as a collection. Romancing SaGa 2 looks neat, and though it has certainly been updated, $24.99 still feels a bit steep for a digital only remaster of a 20+ year old game no one has ever heard of. I would have preferred to spend $49.99 for a Romancing SaGa Collection that had all three SNES games ported to modern systems. It wouldn't need to be remastered, just translated. I sometimes feel SE makes these ports harder on themselves by insisting on remastering them. The Steam ports of many of their SNES games would have been far less controversial if they had just been straight ports. Still, I feel like SE could jump start old I[s like Mana, SaGa, and Front Mission if they just gave people a collection of the titles and then hyped the shit out of them. Just translate, port, and then spend the rest of the money on advertising.

In terms of design though, I hope RPG designers look at the dungeon design of games like Persona 5 and Dark Souls 1 and start making them more like those. Basically these dungeons always initially start off linear but then loop back on themselves to show interconnected labyrinths. Makes for more interesting dungeons to traverse and you can even make them fun and thematic if need be.

In the future I would like RPG devs to also finally solve the difficulty problem the genre suffers from. Straight up, I feel the genre needs selectable difficulty modes in order to not alienate anyone, but I would also like them to figure out better ways to express difficulty in this genre that isn't simply the devs raising all of the enemies health by 25% and making you take double damage. With the subject of FFVIII coming up a lot on the forum I've been thinking about how it handles the difficulty curve and felt it was a good start, it just didn't go far enough. Like it would be interesting to mesh together ideas from VIII's scaling enemies with FFIV DS's change-ups. So I liked how in VIII that in addition to enemies getting better stats their skill list could also change with them getting access to some better versions of spells or being able to release new attacks. Nice idea, but to take this further, I loved how the DS version of FFIV changed the abilities and strategies for the bosses, which made it so they would punish you if you tried to fight them using the same tactics as the vanilla versions. That would be a nice touch to have the enemies be vastly different. Imagine a Hard mode in VII where the Guard Scorpion boss has to be attacked while it's tail is up in order to delay performing it's usual counter move. It now absorbs Lightning damage instead of being weak to it, and it's only safe to attack it while the tail is up. Would really make the fight feel different for veteran players.

There is a mod for Dark Souls which actually changes around things, like new enemy placements, different enemies in areas. Items have been moved around, and bosses have had their A.I. moved around. A difficulty mode that simply scrambled what you know could also be interesting. Kind of like Zelda's infamous second quest. Overall, I feel there is some interesting ideas and potential to finally make one of the more laughably easy genres more engaging.

Slothy
04-14-2018, 11:56 PM
I'd like to see developers start spending more time making games again and less time developing new monetization schemes.

Aulayna
04-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Ubisoft to make another Beyond Good & Evil, which doesn't look like is happening at this point.

They are making it. :)

Darkhero
04-15-2018, 02:27 PM

They are making it. :)

You're right, I somehow totally forgot about the 2017 trailer. Good.

Vyk
04-15-2018, 08:01 PM
There is rumor it will be a service game. As in games as a service...

Darkhero
04-16-2018, 02:05 AM
Well it is Ubisoft, but I can still hope...

Vyk
04-16-2018, 03:30 AM
I'm with ya. It's something I've been hoping for since the original Beyond Good and Evil. I was ecstatic when they released the first teaser years ago. Too bad they went silent and probably scrapped that one

As for the topic. I'd like more games that delve into psychology. Xenogears and Silent Hill 2 dabbled in it back in the day, pretty well, actually. But there hasn't been a log going on with psychology since. Then Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice came out and broke the mold. I realize there's a spattering of psychological horror games, but I'm more curious what else can be created from the topic. I've always appreciated a good psychology angle in any medium. I'm not sure how Squaresoft or Konami did it back in the day, but the fact that Ninja Theory had psychology consultants and got advice from people with experience made it a much more palpable side to the gameplay

Vincent, Thunder God
04-17-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm with ya. It's something I've been hoping for since the original Beyond Good and Evil. I was ecstatic when they released the first teaser years ago. Too bad they went silent and probably scrapped that one

As for the topic. I'd like more games that delve into psychology. Xenogears and Silent Hill 2 dabbled in it back in the day, pretty well, actually. But there hasn't been a log going on with psychology since. Then Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice came out and broke the mold. I realize there's a spattering of psychological horror games, but I'm more curious what else can be created from the topic. I've always appreciated a good psychology angle in any medium. I'm not sure how Squaresoft or Konami did it back in the day, but the fact that Ninja Theory had psychology consultants and got advice from people with experience made it a much more palpable side to the gameplay

I just started Hellblade and I would say it's pretty accurate in terms of depicting schizophrenic symptoms in the voices that Senua hears - I've experienced those symptoms myself at times and it can be pretty similar.

Vyk
04-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Have you seen the trailer with responses from people who are or were suffering feeling vindicated and heard and understood for one of the only times in their lives just by playing the game. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Highly suggested if you haven't seen it yet

Vincent, Thunder God
04-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Have you seen the trailer with responses from people who are or were suffering feeling vindicated and heard and understood for one of the only times in their lives just by playing the game. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. Highly suggested if you haven't seen it yet

I did a quick Youtube search of trailers for the game but I couldn't find it - would be interested to watch though - do you have a link?

Vyk
04-18-2018, 09:39 PM
https://youtu.be/-n7RTnRZ_QQ

It's called an accolades trailer, but the accolades are from these people instead of from journalists and reviewers