PDA

View Full Version : 2018-19 English Football Season Thread

Loony BoB
06-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Fixture list is out, so here goes nuttin'.

Bubba
06-14-2018, 04:58 PM
City to win the league again but I’m hoping we get a little closer this time!

...even if we come third behind Liverpool which I’m expecting.

Psychotic
07-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Wow. Ronaldo. That's A Thing now I guess.

Loony BoB
07-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Ronaldo to Juventus. Sensible decision, I guess, for an aging striker to move to probably the slowest of the top five leaguesbin Europe.

Jinx
07-10-2018, 06:10 PM
i don't watch nfl

Bubba
07-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Juventus to win the treble next season.

The Captain
07-15-2018, 12:53 AM
Time for my bi-monthly plea for Liverpool to sign a new goalie.

That is all. Carry on.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
07-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Apparently they might spend £62m on one.

The Captain
07-17-2018, 11:32 PM
Apparently they might spend £62m on one.

Dear Lord, I hope so. It’s the price of doing business these days and we need him. If we could grab him and Fekir, maybe one more CB, then I’m ready to really believe this coming season.

Take care all.

Old Manus
07-18-2018, 09:41 AM
It's like 2010-11 all over again

Psychotic
07-18-2018, 01:26 PM
We'll have broken the world record for both a defender and a goalkeeper if it goes through. Add to that Fabinho, Shaqiri and Keita, as well as possibly Fekir and that is it. No more excuses, no more Championship defence, no more net spend bollocks, we have to challenge. I am not sure if there is any stopping the Man City juggernaut but with the resources being invested in this, we have to be up there fighting them in May.

Still, how far we've come. Poulsen, Ngog, Joe Cole, Konchesky and Jovanovic and THIS were just 8 years ago:

https://i.redd.it/x8d2fp11epa11.jpg

The Captain
07-18-2018, 02:54 PM
What an exciting season it’ll be!

Between City’s attempt to repeat at dominance, Spurs World Cup run, Utd finally seeing what a focused Pogba can do and new regimes at Arsenal and Chelsea, plus the high spending elsewhere, this could be a topsy turvy year.

Take care all.

Old Manus
07-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Drove past Cardiff's ground this morning (as I do most times I take the car out as I live round the corner) and saw the big sign saying 'Next game: Newcastle'. We've got Sheffield United away. Feels bad man. ;_;

also this has nothing to do with the football but I just spotted myself on tonight's Antiques Roadshow

Psychotic
07-22-2018, 09:01 PM
also this has nothing to do with the football but I just spotted myself on tonight's Antiques Roadshowhang about

this is more important than the football

this is almost as critical as the time I saw Cz in the crowd in Have I Got News For You.

Old Manus
07-23-2018, 12:25 PM
Hint: I'm standing behind a big female bust

Loony BoB
07-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Hint: I'm standing behind a big female bust
Living the dream.

Psychotic
07-29-2018, 08:30 AM
LIVERPOOL FOUR MANCHESTER UNITED ONE MOURINHO IS DESTROYED BY HIS OVERLORD JURGEN KLOPP

gonna have to buy the dvd of this one at the end of the season lads

Old Manus
07-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Remember DVDs?

Psychotic
07-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Remember VHS and you'd always get one for Christmas of Jimmy Greaves or Nick Hancock narrating Phil Babb sliding his nuts into the post over some generic 90's muzak?

Old Manus
07-29-2018, 09:47 PM
I remember getting one involving Steve McManaman teaching the art of the dribble. Better times.

Psychotic
08-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Re: Yan Dhanda

You're welcome.

The Captain
08-05-2018, 06:23 PM
I'll post my table predictions once the EPL window closes this coming week though I have to say I am very pleased so far with Liverpool's preseason and business. The squad looks fit, together and ready to really build on last season. Also, I definitely think Jose is out sometime this year. His 3rd year curse is so consistent I wonder why clubs don't just always sign him to 2 year contracts?

Take care all.

Psychotic
08-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Also, I definitely think Jose is out sometime this year. His 3rd year curse is so consistent I wonder why clubs don't just always sign him to 2 year contracts.That's just what he wants you to think, and both traditional media and social media is swallowing it up. No-one is talking up United's chances but consider this. For all his non-stop whining (and boy is it non-stop!) about Liverpool's four new signings, how many of them are better than their Manchester United counterparts? Alisson or De Gea? Fabinho or Matic? Keita or Pogba? Shaqiri or Sanchez? Mourinho is just doing what he does best and is downplaying expectations.

Fine, Liverpool have spent big this summer, but United have spent big for the past five years and counting. They should be coming ahead of Liverpool and if Liverpool do finish above United it'll be because they have a better manager, not a better squad.

Spuuky
08-06-2018, 11:14 PM
Shaqiri might be better than what's left of Sanchez.

The Captain
08-08-2018, 05:57 PM
I'll take Keita over a dis-interested and possibly flirting with Barca Pogba any day. Feeling very Coutinho-esque to me, wouldn't be shocked by a mid-season move away. Prime Sanchez is a top player but he'll need to show he can flourish in Jose's sitback mentality. De Gea is great and probably needs to make up for a lackluster World Cup but Alisson is no slouch. Matic does the dirty work well but I think Fabinho will be just the added bit of steel we've been missing since Mascherano. I'm more excited to see another full season of Robbo and Trent and think those two could be the real key to our season. Likewise, a fully fit Mendy at City.

I'm a big believer in team chemistry over on paper talent. Some squads are just overwhelmingly stacked, such as some of those Madrid and Barca teams which can mitigate chemistry, but I've seen it happen time and time again on sports teams in the States, where team chemistry can be just the little bit extra.

Also, I'm expecting a lot of transfer day moves, which could yet shake up the league. Chelsea look like they have a lot of business left to do at the least.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
08-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Righto, get your votes in on the poll guys. I'm setting it to close this weekend. No more sly dog votes half way through the season!

Rubbish Transfer Deadline Day tbh. Not just because I'm a United fan, either. It was just pretty bleh when the rest of Europe isn't involved and I suspect that most players just don't want to think about this kind of thing too strongly when they're barely back from holiday. This deadline before first game thing will be cool if/when the rest of Europe makes a similar change, otherwise I suspect the English league won't find signings as easy next time around. At least we have the winter window the same as them, I think?

Psychotic
08-09-2018, 05:48 PM
I think the World Cup played a part in a lot of the delay and inactivity. I do agree with the principle of having the window close before the season starts.

The Captain
08-09-2018, 07:13 PM
Table Prediction Time!

There are still a couple outstanding moves to come though at this point, though it seems likely that any moves made now will only hurt a team's chances since the English end is closed.

Liverpool, for me, are in the best position they've ever been to win the title. Yes, City are strong and they are the defending champions but I think they will put all of their focus this year into winning the Champions League and that could just mean taking their eyes off of things a bit. Coupled with the moves Liverpool have made and the fact that all of their key players are back, fit, healthy and hungry to build off of last year, I think this is the year where all the promise pays off. At the very least, they are there to the bitter end and I'll bet on a team that looks legitimately happy to play together to find a way in the end.

The rest of the Top 6 aside from City seem a mixed bag. Chelsea did good business but are also bringing in a new keeper and coach which could take some bedding in. Arsenal likewise are starting a new era and I'm curious to see what sort of team they really have. Spurs, boy, they are taking a real risk. If everyone on the squad is healthy all season, they could be a darkhorse challenger but how likely is that to be? Harry Kane has played A LOT of football in the last year and asking him to carry on might be too tall a task. United... I've already said what I think is happening there. The squad is good but something doesn't smell right and I think the 3rd year Jose curse is real. He'll get them into the Top 4, but it won't be pretty and he might not last.

Liverpool
Man City
Chelsea
Man Utd
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton - Lot of good deadline moves for them.
Fulham - They look like they'll stick for a while.
West Ham
Newcastle
Wolves - Ditto.
Leicester
Crystal Palace
Burnley
Southampton
Bournemouth
Huddersfield
Brighton
Watford
Cardiff

Champions League Winners:
Atletico Madrid - They look REAL good. PSG, Juve, could also be very interesting. I think Real and Barca take a little step back, maybe only get to the QF's.

FA Cup:
Spurs

Golden Boot:
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

League Cup:
Man City

Young Player:
Phil Foden or Naby Keita

Let's get this season started!

Take care all.

Spuuky
08-09-2018, 11:34 PM
I cast my vote for shock winner from outside the Boys Club.

Old Manus
08-10-2018, 09:45 AM
I cast my vote for shock winner from outside the Boys Club.

It really is Liverpool's year!

Psychotic
08-10-2018, 12:22 PM
You never know, it could even be the year of the undisputed best team in South Wales, Cardiff City. Up the Bluebirds.

(my actual SUPER CONTROVERSIAL prediction for them is that they'll finish 20th and will be down by April)

Crop
08-10-2018, 01:36 PM
(my actual SUPER CONTROVERSIAL prediction for them is that they'll finish 20th and will be down by April)

Fingers crossed!

Old Manus
08-10-2018, 04:42 PM
You never know, it could even be the year of the undisputed best team in South Wales, Cardiff City. Up the Bluebirds.

americans please get out (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Much-loved-football-club-that-is-in-desperate-need-of-new-owners/401579911474)

Bubba
08-10-2018, 04:50 PM
They’ll say it started on a pleasant Friday evening in Manchester.

The 7-0 demolition of Leicester was just the beginning of the greatest league campaign since... we’ll since the last one.

Psychotic
08-10-2018, 05:21 PM
They'll say nothing of the sort mate. It's raining.

Bubba
08-10-2018, 08:27 PM
It’s lightly raining. This constitutes a pleasant evening in Manchester.

Also, Pogba to win the Ballon D’or Just ahead of De Gea and Rashford as we win 38 games out of 38.

Bubba
08-10-2018, 09:45 PM
WE. ARE. TOP-O-THE-LEAGUE. I SAID, WE ARE TOP-O-THE-LEAGUE.
WE. ARE. TOP-O-THE-LEAGUE. I SAID, WE ARE TOP-O-THE-LEAGUE.

Edit: I posted that WAY too early.

Psychotic
08-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Well what do you know, turns out a team with the league's most expensive player isn't total dogtrout after all what a turn up for the books.

Could the media have - gasp - overexaggerated?

As a follow up, maybe the prestigious transfer window winners won't win their opening game...?

Spuuky
08-12-2018, 04:57 PM
It's over, Liverpool has won, top of the table start to finish.

The Captain
08-12-2018, 07:54 PM
What a player Naby Keita is. And Ben Mendy too.

That is all.

Rocket Edge
08-15-2018, 07:40 PM
KDB apparently injured for months. This actually makes things exciting for the season.

Psychotic
08-15-2018, 07:55 PM
KDB apparently injured for months. This actually makes things exciting for the season.On the one hand yeah, but on the other, the league is not any better for losing its best player!

Rocket Edge
08-15-2018, 08:41 PM
:colbert:

What about Salah?

At least it should keep things closer at the top.

Psychotic
08-15-2018, 10:02 PM
De Bruyne is better than Salah imho although Salah had a better season last year.

The Captain
08-16-2018, 10:20 PM
If United ever did sell Pogba without being able to replace him, the knives may well and truly come out. I cannot seriously believe that would happen but where there is smoke, there is ALWAYS fire and I would never put anything past Jose's ego.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
08-17-2018, 08:40 AM
What do you mean? Who would be stabbing who? The usual situation is that they change the manager OR the big name player, so if Pogba were to be sold, it would be an indication that they will not be changing manager and felt Pogba was disrupting the harmony. If he is NOT sold and still complains, it's more likely Jose would be sold to avoid a player unhappy with who is in charge. Really depends on who the club sees as the real problem.

Bubba
08-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Holy crap our defence is awful. I thought we’d struggle when we didn’t strengthen at the back. Brighton have played well but Bailley has been shocking.

I think it’ll be a two-horse race between Man City and Liverpool with us not even making the top four.

Its gonna be a long old season.

Psychotic
08-19-2018, 06:16 PM
Could be worse mate. You could be American.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-shorts-0x7tpw3kw

Spuuky
08-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Sigh

Loony BoB
08-20-2018, 11:04 AM
How Bailly was allowed to stay on for the full game was beyond me, he was absolutely atrocious.

Psychotic
08-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Are Lindelof and Bailly really that bad? I thought they, and Bailly especially, were held in high esteem by United fans.

Loony BoB
08-20-2018, 07:35 PM
Bailly was for me until that last match. I wouldn't say it's put me off him either, he just had a horrid game, from start to finish. Think Vidic vs. Torres.

Personally still think Smalling is our best defender and that we just need to find a Rio Ferdinand so he can sit back and be Wes Brown.

Bubba
08-21-2018, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping it was just an off day. He was injured quite regularly last season but when fit he looked the part.

Jury is still out on Lindelof.

Psychotic
08-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Meanwhile...

https://i.redd.it/01xgkfzv8gh11.jpg

But my catchphrase :( and all we had to do was buy a £75m centre back.

Bubba
08-27-2018, 10:31 PM

The Captain
08-28-2018, 02:04 AM
So we still think the 3rd year Jose curse isn't real? Yikes. I sense a panic call to Zidane coming soon.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
08-28-2018, 09:20 AM
I still don't think it's a curse because it's only three games into a new season and he's won the Champions League in the third season in Portugal. What I'd argue is that he is getting faster and faster each time at falling out with a club, because realistically this situation began last season, not this season. Hell, he looked tired in the first season, but because he won something it didn't matter to the journalists so much. I do wonder what will happen to Jose over time, if he'll just retire early or something, I dunno. Perhaps he needs time at a club that is guaranteed a title every season. PSG or Munich?

He still gave us more points than anyone since SAF last season, and it hasn't been that long since that happened. Will have to wait and see. I've never been all aboard the Mourinho train at all, though, even before he signed for us I wasn't as interested as many others were. I just like more focus on youth and attacking football, even if we're losing I want to be entertained.

With that said, we attacked a lot in that game, we were playing attractive football. Yes, we lost 3-0, but even Gary Neville said at half time that it's the most energised and attacking football he's seen us play in six years. The downside to that is that it leaves you open at the back, so if you don't take your chances, RIP.

Psychotic
08-28-2018, 01:15 PM
Mourinho's problem is that he's a man out of time. He's still playing a style of football that was successful last decade. Back when he won the CL with Porto and the league with Chelsea, when Greece somehow won the Euros and Rafa Benitez won La Liga with Valencia (seriously how the smurf do you do that?) and the CL with a, let's have it right, relatively poor Liverpool team.

Football has moved on. Standing still is moving backwards. Now teams play like City, Spurs and Liverpool by playing out from the back and employing a really high press. He's still playing the exact way he did at 2004 Chelsea with Lukaku as his Drogba and Fellaini as his Robert smurfing Huth off the bench in desperation as an emergency striker.

Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time - and I fucking hate saying that believe you me - because he was able to see which way the wind was blowing and change and adapt his teams to dominate each mini era of football. Compare his 92/93 style of play to, say, the Rooney Tevez Ronaldo triple threat. It's worlds apart. The man is a genius.

Mourinho can point to what he did in Porto/Chelsea/Inter but it's irrelevant because you're not competing in the 2000's Premier League, you're competing in the 2018 Premier League. He can point to finishing above your Liverpools and your Spurses last season but so what? Is that the goal? As long as we finish above them two - while spending a trout ton load more transfer money and having a vastly higher wage bill than either of them - then jolly good? Worth every penny?

With the resources at their disposal you should still expect this team to dominate most of the league, but they're never going to reach that elite level that United's ambition aspires to while playing like this either.

Old Manus
08-28-2018, 05:07 PM
Wasn't Van Gaal hailed as a progressive tactical genius when he came in?

Loony BoB
08-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Mourinho's problem is that he's a man out of time. He's still playing a style of football that was successful last decade. Back when he won the CL with Porto and the league with Chelsea, when Greece somehow won the Euros and Rafa Benitez won La Liga with Valencia (seriously how the smurf do you do that?) and the CL with a, let's have it right, relatively poor Liverpool team.

Football has moved on. Standing still is moving backwards. Now teams play like City, Spurs and Liverpool by playing out from the back and employing a really high press. He's still playing the exact way he did at 2004 Chelsea with Lukaku as his Drogba and Fellaini as his Robert smurfing Huth off the bench in desperation as an emergency striker.

Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time - and I smurfing hate saying that believe you me - because he was able to see which way the wind was blowing and change and adapt his teams to dominate each mini era of football. Compare his 92/93 style of play to, say, the Rooney Tevez Ronaldo triple threat. It's worlds apart. The man is a genius.

Mourinho can point to what he did in Porto/Chelsea/Inter but it's irrelevant because you're not competing in the 2000's Premier League, you're competing in the 2018 Premier League. He can point to finishing above your Liverpools and your Spurses last season but so what? Is that the goal? As long as we finish above them two - while spending a trout ton load more transfer money and having a vastly higher wage bill than either of them - then jolly good? Worth every penny?

With the resources at their disposal you should still expect this team to dominate most of the league, but they're never going to reach that elite level that United's ambition aspires to while playing like this either.
The real fun is trying to find someone decent that can replace him and still command authority in a dressing room of egos. At least you don't have to worry about the entire dressing room rebelling against you - that would require some kind of leader. :p Honestly I do wonder if we had a real leader on the pitch how much of a difference it might make. Jose may be trying to emulate Chelsea of that era for all I know (I wouldn't say it's exactly the same, I'd say we have a different formation) but one of the key parts of that Chelsea team wasn't the tactics but the mentality. They had a huge amount of leaders on that pitch, and Jose made them even stronger. We have no leaders at United - they all left and none of them were replaced on a mental scale.

Rocket Edge
08-30-2018, 04:30 PM
The biggest problem with Jose now is that out of all the big 6 teams, we seem to be the only one who doesn't press the ball. We lose it and retreat. Doesn't seem to be working at all and every shred of confidence our attacking (and seemingly defending now) players we have has been gone long ago. He has to go. It's not gonna change. Wish it could turn around for him as I like Jose, always have!

Loony BoB
08-30-2018, 05:51 PM
The biggest problem with Jose now is that out of all the big 6 teams, we seem to be the only one who doesn't press the ball. We lose it and retreat. Doesn't seem to be working at all and every shred of confidence our attacking (and seemingly defending now) players we have has been gone long ago. He has to go. It's not gonna change. Wish it could turn around for him as I like Jose, always have!
To be fair, the last game we pressed high up the pitch and pressed well for at least the first half, the pundits were actually talking about it during half time as the most pressing we've seen since SAF left, or something to that effect.

I agree I'd like to see a new motivating manager but I have concerns about how good a player we can bring in at the moment as it seems like we can't get players to join United unless we have a high profile manager. I know Zidane is available but I'm not really sure he's the fit for us... but I'd give him a shot, I guess.

Rocket Edge
08-31-2018, 09:57 AM
I'm open to giving any attacking coach with some pedigree a shot at this stage. Someone like Poch would be ideal but even someone like Marco Silva I'd take a punt on. Zidane could work out but then he worked with a team infinitely better than ours. If it went wrong we'd be in a bigger mess than we are now.

Been thinking about it and I suppose all we can do now is get behind the manager because it doesn't look like he's going anywhere. I'd just like to see him try new things. :colbert:

Loony BoB
08-31-2018, 12:54 PM
Me too. He played attacking football at Real Madrid, so it's not like it's impossible. I don't know what's going on to be honest.

Sephex
09-01-2018, 12:49 AM
What if the team name was Real Metroid? Hahahaha

Psychotic
09-01-2018, 03:05 PM
On my way back from Leicester v Liverpool. Proud to say I was there the day Allisson became a true Liverpool keeper.

Also Harry Maguire and James Maddison are immense and could both easily play for any team in the league.

Spuuky
09-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Watford's year, boys. This is why I picked "other."

Spuuky
09-05-2018, 01:23 AM
FURTHER EVIDENCE EMERGES:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/9cmobm/in_20142015_leicester_placed_14th_in_premier/

Psychotic
09-18-2018, 10:11 PM
PSG are truly fucking awful and I can't believe they got away with just a 3-2. Thank the lord for Punished Venom Bobby.

The Captain
09-19-2018, 04:34 AM
It's still hard for me to wrap my head around how good James` Milner has been all year and honestly, since he came to the club. Between him and Andy Robertson, I wonder if they run wind sprints after the game just to make sure they get all their steps in.

Contrast that with Neymar, who seemed allergic to tracking back at all. Time after time, we could just ping the ball to TAA who was all alone since Neymar would not come back beyond the halfway line. I recall him being screamed at when he was at Barca for not playing both ends and it only seems like those tendencies have gotten worse at PSG.

I refuse to get too, too giddy about this season so far but Klopp really has this team fighting for every blade of grass and they never put their heads down. What a joy to watch.

Also, Leo Messi.... still pretty much the GOAT. Your move Cristiano.

And happy birthday to American's savior, don't let the weight of expectations get too heavy.

Take care all.

Spuuky
09-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Your move Cristiano.:ffvitrouble:

Loony BoB
09-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Also, Leo Messi.... still pretty much the GOAT.
GO2008–2012

FTFY ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think people just don't want Ronaldo to be best because of his less appealing attributes, so they go for the next best thing. :shobon: I mean, I detest the Australian cricket teams of various eras but I'll be damned if, for all the dislike I hold for the likes of McGrath, Ponting, Warne and Clarke, they weren't still some of the best players in the world and didn't make up the core parts of the best team in the world. Frustrating but sometimes you just gotta accept things.

Of course, Ronaldo isn't nearly as horrible as the Australian cricket teams have been. But yeah.

Old Manus
09-20-2018, 03:49 PM
ClarkeWoah there lad

Psychotic
09-20-2018, 04:39 PM
I don't think it's really that big of a deal if someone prefers Messi to Ronaldo or vice versa. The gap between them isn't really that great for there to be any controversy. It's not like if someone said they thought, say, Cavani is a greater player than Ronaldo. No disrespect to Cavani by the way as he is still a top class player which is why I chose him, but he's obviously a step below.

Loony BoB
09-20-2018, 07:35 PM
ClarkeWoah there lad
Oh man, you should have heard the things Dan and I used to call Michael Clarke back in the day...

Spuuky
09-21-2018, 12:50 AM
I do want Messi to be better than Ronaldo but conveniently for me he also actually is, as every meaningful statistic demonstrates. Ronaldo is the second best though! No shame in that.

Cavani is of course the best person who plays soccer.

Loony BoB
09-21-2018, 10:12 AM
I do want Messi to be better than Ronaldo but conveniently for me he also actually is, as every meaningful statistic demonstrates.
Which ones are those? I thought the meaningful ones would be trophies, goals and assists at the top levels of club and international football, which I think Ronaldo beats him in most if not all situations. More goals and assists than anyone else in CL history, which is arguably the highest level of competition in football, he's been top scorer six seasons in a row, he has the 2nd highest goal tally (behind Ali Daei of Iran) in international football history, he's actually got an international trophy, he has more CL trophies too. Messi does have him beat in La Liga titles and a higher number of La Liga goals, but Ronaldo does have him beat for domestic league goals once you include the other leagues he has played in. All this without playing alongside the powerhouses Argentina has supplied at international level and without the insane level of quality of Xavi, Iniesta and co at domestic league level (but I'll concede that some of the players Ronaldo has played alongside are arguably just as good, but that's a whole different argument).

Pick your stats! I'm actually curious which stats you're going for because the above strike me as the most "meaningful stastitics" and I'm not sure what else would be of note. I guess you could say player of the year titles but they're even on that (I think?).

Psychotic
09-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Pick your stats! Okay, I choose "Number of times humiliated by an Exeter City full back".

Messi: 0
Ronaldo: 1 (https://twitter.com/wantmybet/status/685439761788567553?)

DK
09-21-2018, 03:38 PM
ClarkeWoah there lad
Oh man, you should have heard the things Dan and I used to call Michael Clarke back in the day...

Still the worst grade A *angry Barret gibberish* in the history of international cricket

Bubba
09-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Pick your stats! Okay, I choose "Number of times humiliated by an Exeter City full back".

Messi: 0
Ronaldo: 1 (https://twitter.com/wantmybet/status/685439761788567553?)

I choose “Number of times humiliated by a Spanish team managed by David Moyes”.

Messi: 1
Ronaldo: 0

Spuuky
09-22-2018, 12:02 AM
Pick your stats!

Goals per game (club and country)-
Messi: 0.81
Ronaldo: 0.72

Assists per game (club and country)-
Messi: 0.33
Ronaldo: 0.23

I can't really fathom rating team achievements when comparing individual players.

Loony BoB
09-23-2018, 11:44 PM
Team achievements are good to consider in context. Ronaldo carrying a poor Portugal team vs. Messi failing to deliver despite having an incredible Argentina team is notable.

The per-game stats are good ones! I must admit they make me reconsider just how black and white the situation is.

Spuuky
09-23-2018, 11:49 PM
"Incredible" Argentina team?? If they didn't have Lionel Messi they wouldn't have even reached the World Cup.

Also if you do really want to rate team achievements I'd consider 2nd in the World Cup (not in 2018 obviously) to be more impressive than winning Euro; especially if your team wins the final essentially without you.

Loony BoB
09-24-2018, 07:41 PM
"Incredible" Argentina team?? If they didn't have Lionel Messi they wouldn't have even reached the World Cup.
Incredible as in the calibre of players they have. Messi was no better than the other players in the side when they were in the World Cup. But they have more than a few genuine world-class footballers (Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain as an attack is a line-up any of the top, top clubs in the world would be delighted with... if they could get them to work well together), something not many teams at the World Cup could say. Any team with those four in attack can be called incredible, I'd say. Their midfield and defence, while being disappointing just as the attack was, are also made up of genuinely good players that should do better.

As for how well they did in the world cup, Euros etc, it's true they won without Ronaldo in the final for the most part, but anyone who thinks that Ronaldo doesn't seriously carry Portugal a lot further than Messi can manage with Argentina must not be watching much football.

Spuuky
09-25-2018, 12:19 AM
But Messi lead Argentina to the 2014 World Cup Final, which they took to extra time. Would this entire conversation be different if Messi had left early in that Final and his team won without him, so that "he" "won" the tournament instead of finishing 2nd?

Loony BoB
09-25-2018, 10:49 AM
He may have, but the general consensus is that Messi was not up to standard throughout that world cup. Of course, he definitely has very high standards compared to anyone else but Ronaldo.

His only goals came in the group stage and throughout the knockout stage it was generally regarded as a disappointment, to the point that many of his own supporters (Maradona and Blatter no less, who do not hide their love for Messi at any point) saw him winning the golden ball as surprising and unjustified, and to the point that Messi was seemingly resistant to receive the trophy (but then I rarely if ever see him look arrogant). There are reports of other players such as Di Maria and Mascherano (and even Romero!) being Argentina's best player in 2014.

The Captain
09-25-2018, 05:03 PM
Messi and Ronaldo are clearly the two defining players of the last 10 years, though for me what separates them is that Messi has continued to able to thrive as essentially a False 9 player in the Barca system whereas Ronaldo has become more of an out and out striker who requires teammates to put him in positions to slam the door. If you look at the way they impact the games, it really comes down to a matter of taste: Messi is someone who weaves a move together, Ronaldo is a hammer to a nail.

A lot comes down to personality too: the preening diva versus the quiet enigma, one a physical specimen, the other a bit undersized.

Trying to parse their abilities via their international duties is very difficult too because there is no control to make the comparison even. Argentina have had A LOT of coaching turmoil which in turn seems to always turn up on the field and they never seem to turn out their best starting XI. Oftentimes, they advance through a sheer moment of magic from Messi. The fact that they don't just win everything as they seem to do in Barca is just as unfair as with Portugal and the teams Ronaldo has been a part of. International soccer is such a weird competition in general, with so many random outcomes, especially in continental play. Remember when Greece won the Euros?

Take care all.

Loony BoB
09-25-2018, 07:01 PM
Messi and Ronaldo are clearly the two defining players of the last 10 years, though for me what separates them is that Messi has continued to able to thrive as essentially a False 9 player in the Barca system whereas Ronaldo has become more of an out and out striker who requires teammates to put him in positions to slam the door. If you look at the way they impact the games, it really comes down to a matter of taste: Messi is someone who weaves a move together, Ronaldo is a hammer to a nail.
To be fair, before he was at Real Madrid he was already player of the year by decimating people from long running attacks. Ronaldo adapted to various roles - winger, wide forward, central forward along with a sort of roaming player. Messi I think went through a similar pattern but generally ended up playing in a different position by the end of it.

A lot comes down to personality too: the preening diva versus the quiet enigma, one a physical specimen, the other a bit undersized.
I think I see the opposite side of the two players. I do see the diva and mister modest, but honestly Messi can be a real moody bastard at times. I guess one of the things I liked about Ronaldo and Messi that we don't get to see very often is when they're actually looking happy. Ronaldo often looks angry, and Messi often looks miserable. I prefer the person who shows a more confident, determined look so I think the miserable face-down-at-the-ground Messi puts me off him a lot. Just looks pretty "woe is me, I wish I was somewhere else" quite often and it annoys me. I see it in some United players lately too. :| You'd think they were doing slave labour in a coal mine. If you're losing, I want you to scream and shout, not look like you've given up and gone into your shell!

The Captain
09-25-2018, 07:34 PM
The look Ronaldo gives whenever someone else takes a free kick or penalty kind of screams "Get me out of here" too. Or rather, "get HIM out of here." Also, let's be fair, had CR come up and dominated the league at City instead of United, I'd guess you'd be pretty deep in Messi's camp instead, no?

Take care all.

Loony BoB
09-25-2018, 10:49 PM
Perhaps! But I still actually like a few players in each of the teams I hate. I haven't disliked any team more than I disliked Mourinho's Chelsea, but I really liked Essien and Ivanovic. For City, I can't help but admire Aguero and all he does, and man do I wish we had a defender like Kompany since Vidic left the squad. I'll naturally always prefer the players in my own team for the most part so it's undeniable that I don't have a bias towards players who have worn the United shirt, but I also have disliked more than a few to have had the pleasure and my favourite players in any squad remain those that get angry, not mopey.

When Ronaldo is upset, he tends to look like a spoiled brat, for sure. He'll flap his arms at his sides, get angry or just stand there with is hands on his hips and shake his head. I'd argue he's much more "disrespectful" than Messi in how he acts. I'll concede that.

But when Messi is upset, he quietly stalks off staring at the ground, looking like he just got told he was grounded. Now, I imagine this could be "getting his focus" but honestly he just looks disinterested. And his attitude tends to wane. Perhaps it's largely because I have seen him more in an Argentina shirt in recent times than a Barcelona one when I've watched him? But if I were a teammate, I'd feel disheartened rather than motivated when I saw my teammates looking this way. As I said, it's a problem you can often see in the United team in the past year. I don't think that Messi is a terrible person for it, but I simply feel he's not a likeable person for many of the same reasons others do like him. I prefer Messi off the pitch, but on the pitch I'd take Ronaldo every time. I just wish someone at United would start bossing about the rest of the players and getting them to work harder. We had Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Evra, Vidic, Rio back in the day. Who's doing it now? Hmm.

EDIT: Perhaps it's actually exactly as you said - it's "get HIM out of here." That kind of attitude, I think, is somewhat helpful. It pushes people, it makes them know the standard expected, it drives a winning mentality. Staring at the ground doesn't help the team at all.

Onto other things: Urgh, that was hard to watch. Good on Derby, they really played well. We lost mostly due to the inability to get shots on target. Martial missed about five or so shots, including some genuinely good chances, and Lukaku missed a couple of solid ones too. I know they're great players... but damn, I wish we had a van Nistelrooy right now!

The Captain
09-26-2018, 02:12 AM
Onto other things: Urgh, that was hard to watch. Good on Derby, they really played well. We lost mostly due to the inability to get shots on target. Martial missed about five or so shots, including some genuinely good chances, and Lukaku missed a couple of solid ones too. I know they're great players... but damn, I wish we had a van Nistelrooy right now!

I stand by what I've been saying: your team is doomed if Jose remains your coach. As a Liverpool fan, I hope he stays there forever. He feuds with his players, routinely sets up lineups that don't place them in the best positions to see a game out and does not seem interested in really making adjustments anymore. 3rd year curse is real.

Take care all.

Psychotic
09-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Onto other things: Urgh, that was hard to watch. Good on Derby, they really played well. We lost mostly due to the inability to get shots on target. Martial missed about five or so shots, including some genuinely good chances, and Lukaku missed a couple of solid ones too. I know they're great players... but damn, I wish we had a van Nistelrooy right now!I liked the bit when Liverpool's Torres regen (https://twitter.com/Virgil4i/status/1044689680866975745?s=19) Harry Wilson scored and did the 5 times celebration but I also liked the bit where 2005 Champions League winner Scott Carson saved the final penalty.

Also, I think Pogba is more of a problem than Mourinho right now. Don't take shots at your manager in public. Just do not do it. And as for that "Until you see me holding the Barca shirt I am at United" shit? Dude, seriously? You are smurfing privileged to play for Manchester sodding United. Show some smurfing respect to both the club and its fans.

Loony BoB
09-26-2018, 08:22 AM
They're both an issue as far as I'm concerned. It'll be interesting to see what happens if and when we get that Director of Football everyone has been going on about.

As for Pogba, you can kind of see why SAF refused to play him as much as he wanted now.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new manager by the end of the season at all. Zidane is the one people seem to say the most. I don't know if we'll get him but the one thing I will say is that I doubt Pogba would mouth off against someone like Zidane as much because Zidane is arguably the best French player in history. I think Mourinho is right to remove the captaincy from Pogba, too. You can't have a captain who says the shit Pogba says.

Still, 2nd last season, we have better players than we did before because we had a better manager who was able to bring them in. Now nobody wants to play for Mourinho so let's get Moyes back and see what he can do with a real group of players!

:erm:

Psychotic
10-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Liverpool have, up until this point, been one of the best defences the league has ever seen. This is not hyperbole, the in depth stats show how ridiculous it truly is in how few chances are even being allowed.

Is this an Our Year post? No, Liverpool will not win the league and I'll tell you why. The god tier defence has come at a price. My favourite catchphrase? Well, it's the attack that's Championship tier now. Slow, ponderous and indecisive. They're not without the odd spark of genius but all 3 of our forwards will score fewer goals than last season.

Football is smurfing weird. This season is going to be a lot more boring than any previous Klopp season but maybe my heart needs that.

Old Manus
10-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Is this an Our Year post?Sounds more like a Next Year Our Year post...

The Captain
12-11-2018, 10:35 PM
So, THIS is what it feels like to have a world class goalie. Alisson has been IMMENSE.

I strangely feel like this team has yet to hit its top gear with so many chances going begging and yet, here we are, into the last 16 and top of the table. I stand by my Liverpool prediction this year. Some of the other ones look pretty ripe as well, though thinking Fulham would finish in the Top half.... eh not so much.

At this point, I really don't care who we draw so long as we get Anfield in the second leg. Losing van Dijk will really put us to the test no matter who we play next, and since we finished second, it's probably going to be quite a good team but that's a ways away yet. Time to refocus on the league and re-light the fire under Jose's seat this weekend.

Take care all.

Psychotic
12-16-2018, 07:17 PM
I was going to make a post about how Allisson was the best keeper in the league, even better than De Gea, but decided to hold off before this game in case something happened to jinx it. Turns out even thinking it is a jinx. Don't care, still better.

Loony BoB
12-18-2018, 10:41 AM
I don't even know how to compare the two until they have an equally good defence in front of them. DDG hasn't visibly dropped in form this season when it comes to making quality saves time and time again, the problem is that he is being tested far, far too often. Allisson I haven't really watched other than the World Cup and the United game, so it's really hard to say based on those games alone. Liverpool definitely has the best defence in the league right now, but I would say that's more down to their defenders than their goalkeeper (but he also comes into it, obviously). They're extremely organised and calm.

So, Psy, do you agree with Cap? Is this Liverpool's year?

The Captain
12-18-2018, 11:34 AM
It’s certainly not Jose’s year. 3rd year curse FTW.

Who do you guys want as the next manager? Zidane? Conte? Giggs?

Take care all.

Psychotic
12-18-2018, 10:33 PM
I don't even know how to compare the two until they have an equally good defence in front of them. DDG hasn't visibly dropped in form this season when it comes to making quality saves time and time again, the problem is that he is being tested far, far too often. Allisson I haven't really watched other than the World Cup and the United game, so it's really hard to say based on those games alone. Liverpool definitely has the best defence in the league right now, but I would say that's more down to their defenders than their goalkeeper (but he also comes into it, obviously). They're extremely organised and calm.

So, Psy, do you agree with Cap? Is this Liverpool's year?In nearly every other season, yes. This kind of start has only been matched a handful of times over the past 100 years. By now, every other team with this start has a double digit lead. Liverpool have a one point lead. It's just our luck that the one season where we go supernova has another team doing it too!

Loony BoB
12-19-2018, 12:23 PM
It’s certainly not Jose’s year. 3rd year curse FTW.

Who do you guys want as the next manager? Zidane? Conte? Giggs?

Take care all.
Want? Poch. I'll settle for Zidane. Someone who can get along with players and play attacking football, and isn't afraid to give youth a shot. I wasn't keen on Mourinho pretty much ever because he doesn't fit in with any of those three things, so I'm not bothered about him going.

Supposedly we won't have a new permanent manager this season until we first get a Director of Football set up, which I think is a good decision. Apparently we're going after Mitchell, who previously worked with Poch at Southampton and Tottenham... fingers crossed that works out. We shall have to wait and see!

Old Manus
12-29-2018, 07:12 PM
it's their year

The Captain
12-30-2018, 01:32 AM
Klopp has built a team that should be able to end the drought. If they can get a result at City on Thursday then the bandwagon will really be full.

What fascinates me is I have several friends who are hard core Arsenal fans and they all HATE Emery. Are there any Gunners fans here? What are your thoughts?

Take care all.

Psychotic
01-03-2019, 09:56 PM
it's their yearor not

The thing of it is this, we've all seen our teams have off days where they play like 11 hungover strangers and get beaten. Man City had two bizarre off days a couple of weeks ago that got us into this position. That's football, it happens, you write it off as a freak result and move on. Liverpool actually played pretty well tonight, probably better than when we thumped Arsenal 5-1. Man City were just, and are in general, better. Liverpool are a really, really, smurfing good side, but Man City are even better. The title is staying with the champions. And not because of tonight's result, but because of what is to come.

The Captain
01-04-2019, 04:43 PM
it's their yearor not

The thing of it is this, we've all seen our teams have off days where they play like 11 hungover strangers and get beaten. Man City had two bizarre off days a couple of weeks ago that got us into this position. That's football, it happens, you write it off as a freak result and move on. Liverpool actually played pretty well tonight, probably better than when we thumped Arsenal 5-1. Man City were just, and are in general, better. Liverpool are a really, really, smurfing good side, but Man City are even better. The title is staying with the champions. And not because of tonight's result, but because of what is to come.

Completely disagree here. I actually think losing today is the best thing for winning the title this year. It was exactly the wake up call this team needed after all the pundits were writing the entire season's storylines, saying things were done and dusted. I do not think this Man City team is as good as last year's, they are nowhere near as strong in the depth of their squad, especially in midfield and their defense can have lapses that really screw them, as it had in their losses this season. When they lose their enforcer in the middle, the team looks like they are too unbalanced and any long-term injury there will keep them from hitting the heights of last season. The same could be said about Van Dijk for us of course.

We're halfway home, and I stand by my top four predictions:

Liverpool - We have only 3 "top 6" games left, with two at Anfield. That I think ends up being the difference.
City - They'll push the entire way but will drop more points, especially if their focus shifts more to Europe which they and Pep are desperate to win.
Chelsea - Bummed that they get Pulisic, but if they hold onto Hazard the whole year, they'll be right there in the top 4.
Utd - I said it at the start, but what a difference sacking Jose has made.

Take care all.

Psychotic
01-04-2019, 05:21 PM
City aren't any worse or have less depth than last year, it's really the same squad that crushed all comers. They had minimal outgoings (Toure) and incomings (Mahrez) and they're quite settled.

Also, you're thinking of a Spurs collapse? Bold!

The Captain
01-05-2019, 01:00 AM
City aren't any worse or have less depth than last year, it's really the same squad that crushed all comers. They had minimal outgoings (Toure) and incomings (Mahrez) and they're quite settled.

Also, you're thinking of a Spurs collapse? Bold!

Unless Spurs actually make some transfers, they are a Kane injury away from dropping like a stone. He's played A LOT of football in the last year.

Losing Fernandinho for that two game streak exposed how important a player he is this year for them. They are still scoring goals but their goals against is slightly up from a year ago as well and without that enforcer in the middle, the team is a sports car that can't fully throttle its engine. Liverpool are about the same in goals scored but have drastically improved their goals against which is really the main reason why the table is as such. Last year's City team was a once in a lifetime squad, with remarkable success. This year, while very good, they are not unbeatable.

Klopp jokingly said something about getting to 105 points, but I think if Liverpool can make it to 92, they win the league, which is doable with the schedule as it is, especially with 2 of the 3 remaining "Top 6" games at Anfield and with them spread out across the final months.

Take care all.

Bubba
01-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Quite looking forward to the Spurs v Man Utd game this Sunday. As far as I'm concerned, it's a free hit for Solskjaer. He (or just his presence) has already steadied the ship with 5-out-of-5. A loss to Spurs I think is expected (certainly from me) after such a good start. I reckon we should play an attacking line-up, work hard and you never know.

I don't want to think about Liverpool winning the league yet... I'm sure Psy still has my "Come back when you've won 20" quote ready to go when needed.

The Captain
01-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Tell you what, Interim Manager Andy Serkis has United playing some very good football. He just might keep the job. They have a real shot at 4th.

Big win for Liverpool, who needed to put a victory back on the board after a little skid. Now if Wolves can do a solid and get a point from City, all this crisis talk will be gone as fast as it started. Still think we need to add another defender in this window, so we'll see what unfolds.

Also, is Neymar back to Barca for real or is it just what some of the papers are speculating?

Take care all.

The Captain
01-30-2019, 06:37 PM
Rafa Benitez, still helping Liverpool out, all these years later.

Take care all.

Shoden
02-04-2019, 04:13 AM
North East football's been weird this year, Newcastle once again under the magic of sir Rafa finding a way to stay up. They broke the record signing for the first time in 14 years almost, since Michael Owen, I was on here talking about it back then I'm sure!
So that's a positive and a shock tbh, but at least now we're getting a slight taste of why he's so adored in Liverpool to this day.
AYE and, Sunderland's barely scraping by in League 1 and if they don't get promoted this season they'll end up going into Administration they're in that deep trouble!
My hometown team, South Shields is climbing the non league tables and may end up in the Conference in a couple of years if this keeps up. NEVER would have thought that was even a possibility.
Strange times guys, strange times.

Bubba
04-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Just sayin'...

The Captain
04-23-2019, 01:47 AM
Cannot believe I have to root for United this week. Even a draw will do. Ugh.

Take care all.

Bubba
04-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Cannot believe I have to root for United this week.

After the way we played at the weekend I echo this sentiment.

Psychotic
04-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Surely the image you posted of a devil reigning triumphantly over the sky blue ice is a portent?

Bubba
04-23-2019, 08:58 AM
I can honestly see us getting a result.

De Bruyne being out will be a huge miss for City. The Utd players know they have to produce after such an abysmal showing on Sunday, especially in a derby. As much as I'd hate to see Liverpool win the league, there is no way I would rather we lose (which some Utd fans have been saying). I want us to get top four and couldn't care less if it helps Liverpool. If they win the league they will have deserved it, without any help from us.

City have won ten league games in a row. I can't see them extending that any further.

Psychotic
04-24-2019, 09:30 PM
How can you people stand to watch this dirge week in, week out? Bloody hell, I'm sorry this has happened to your club. Almost.

Also what the actual fuck has happened to David De Gea?

Psychotic
04-25-2019, 12:47 PM
3 Liverpool defenders in the PFA Team of the Year hahahah what a time to be alive. Hell if gomez/matip had been fit to play the entire season instead of half each they'd be worthy of the 4th spot too as they have both been excellent.

also dabbing carlton palmer is in it for some reason

Loony BoB
04-25-2019, 04:40 PM
How can you people stand to watch this dirge week in, week out? Bloody hell, I'm sorry this has happened to your club. Almost.

Also what the actual smurf has happened to David De Gea?
If you mean ours, I actually think we played pretty well on Wednesday despite the result, same with our loss to Barcelona. And it wasn't long ago that we had some great games where we've won, and other games when we've not been great but still won. I'm not sure what it was that started us going downhill again but we had a side playing really good football and either the other teams have figured it out, injuries impacted us too quickly or there just isn't the right mental strength in our squad to keep such a good run going. Right now we seem to turn up for the bigger games and just go AWOL for any club that isn't at Champions League level. The problem being that when we turn up for those top level games, the other teams tend to turn up more than we do.

charliepanayi
04-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Current mood

Psychotic
04-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Also what the actual smurf has happened to David De Gea?
If you mean ours, I actually think we played pretty well on Wednesday despite the result, same with our loss to Barcelona. Can't say I saw the Barca game, but I did indeed mean Wednesday. I guess it's a subjective thing but I was shocked at United. 37% possession and 1 shot on target is not something a club of United's stature and playing personnel (current woes aside, it's still an expensively assembled team of international players) should be aiming for in a derby. Those are Everton numbers!

Bubba
04-25-2019, 06:32 PM
37% possession and 1 shot on target is not something a club of United's stature and playing personnel (current woes aside, it's still an expensively assembled team of international players) should be aiming for in a derby.

I agree we should be hitting the target more but City’s average possession in the Premier League is 65% :gator:

Psychotic
04-25-2019, 06:46 PM
Manchester United shouldn't be aiming for average though surely.

Bubba
04-25-2019, 11:17 PM
37% is 2% above average.

#worldbeaters

Cell
04-28-2019, 11:50 AM
West Ham now have the first opposition wins at Spurs and Arsenal in their new stadiums.:cool:

Aulayna
04-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Because everyone knows the Championship is where real football takes place, we're one win away from winning the league and have automatic promotion locked in. :cool:

(probably only to get immediately relegated again next season... but such is the rollercoaster life of being a Norwich supporter)

Cell
04-28-2019, 03:09 PM
English Championship?

The Scottish Championship is where the real tinpot stuff gets done. My team have won it with a game to spare, won a cup and could relegate Falkirk on the final day to make a it a perfect three out of three.

Psychotic
05-01-2019, 08:59 PM
top 10 anime betrayals

I don't mean to Liverpool, by the way. I mean to me personally. I spent years defending him on this bloody forum. Did that mean nothing to you, Luis? :colbert:

#BubbaWasRight

edit: never seen liverpool lose 3-0 and yet feel incredibly hard done by. wow. I hate typing these words but Messi is unreal. From what I saw I still think Man City are a better team than Barca though (and Liverpool, obviously)

Bubba
05-03-2019, 01:49 PM
You definitely didn't deserve to lose 3-0. I was just waiting for that away goal to nestle in the back of the net for the first 25 mins of the second half. You never know at Anfield but I can't see a way back for Liverpool now.

I disagree about Messi though. Obviously he's up there as one of the best ever but he didn't really have a great game. The free-kick was obviously class (though it deflected) and the second one was just right place, right time. I mean, I'm obviously glad Liverpool lost but it'd be nice to see Barca (and Messi) taken down a peg or two.

Good finish by Luis (#justiceforracism) Suarez for the first though.

Spuuky
05-04-2019, 01:49 AM
If by "up there as one of the best ever" you mean "indisputably the best ever" yeah

Anyway go Ajax

Bubba
05-07-2019, 08:55 AM
If by "up there as one of the best ever" you mean "indisputably the best ever" yeah

Not while Ronaldo exists I'm afraid. Neither of them will be "indisputably" the best ever while the other is around. I favour Ronaldo personally as Messi has never inspired a mediocre international team to success. Ronaldo has. Not to mention the three European cups on the trot.

Anyway, I honestly thought that was the game last night where City were going to come unstuck. There still might be some final day drama but the significance of that Kompany screamer at this stage can not be understated. What a legend.

Bubba
05-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Phew! It’s a good job Barca do have indisputably the best player ever otherwise they might have gone out tonight!

Psychotic
05-07-2019, 10:12 PM
I am unbelievably proud and in love with this team and this football club. Anfield is magic. Genuine, actual magic. There is some sort of sorcery to the place. No Salah, Firmino, Keita and then Robertson goes down... nope. Not stopping us. Christ alive. What a night.

Is Lionel Messi the greatest player of all time? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. What I do know is that at Anfield he is nothing.

The Captain
05-08-2019, 02:11 AM
I had thought I would just head home and watch the game from the comfort of my couch but something told me I needed to find a pub and see maybe, just maybe if Anfield had another miracle in it. So, I made my way down to my favorite Liverpool Bar in NYC and settled in with about 200 of my soon to be closest friends.

From the get-go, something felt different. Barca just looked a step slow and almost as if they couldn't believe they actually had to PLAY this game. All we kept saying was, get an early goal, put the pressure on, and then, it happened. Once Origi tucked it in, it was 80+ minutes where no one dared to breathe.

This is how sports should be watched: living and dying with every kick; swearing, cheering, clapping, hugging and making up strategy with people who in 2 hours you may or may not see again but for that moment, mean more to you than old high school friends because they care just as much. Many drinks were spilt, many more rounds were bought for and by people who knew nothing aside from the right allegiance.

At 2-3, we were so worried about the gut punch counter goal but once Gini scored again, we knew that we weren't losing this game. Anfield wouldn't allow it. Jurgen wouldn't have it.

Trent's heads up corner is something I've never seen before in my life, nor had just about anyone else in the bar. One guy thought he remembered something like that in the Second Division once, but couldn't think of the teams and didn't care anyway at this point.

As the game ended and the entire team, training staff and all the fans sang out, people around me were crying, hugging, kissing, pledging to become better people themselves as "You'll Never Walk Alone" rang out into the sunshine of the New York afternoon. It was only the semi-finals of course, we all had to tell ourselves, but for today, for this moment, it was perfect.

Let's go Brighton.

Take care all.

DK
05-08-2019, 02:31 AM
Is Lionel Messi the greatest player of all time?

He's a tesco value Wayne Rooney (neva 4get)

Sunday is going to be disgusting. I can't believe it's going down to the wire again. Thank fuck Joleon Lescott is nowhere to be seen anymore.

I beseech you, King Vincent of Kompany, first of his name, captain of dreams, belter of thunder:bou::bou::bou::bou:s, do not let it go down to the 93rd minute again.

Cell
05-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Said to others, Liverpool are set up to sucker punch teams like Barca with their combination of skill + pace. It showed that no matter what he did last night, Messi just couldn't get away from multiple markers who were just as fast or faster than he was. Without him, Barca looked lost.

Amusing to see Suarez punted out after playing like a complete goit.

DK
05-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Funnily enough, yesterday afternoon I got recommended a video on youtube. IDK if anyone else follows this series but there's a channel that does a series with managers where they explain their tactics from famous matches they took part in. The one recommended to me was Jose discussing his game plan for Inters 3-1 smashing of Barca in the 2010 champions league. Was very cool to see how he handled Messi in that match and exploited the Barca tactics.

Anyway I sincerely hope Spurs make a comeback against Ajax, and then Liverpool destroy their souls in the final. Should be a good consolation for us winning the league again. (Plez Vinnie save us)

link if anyone is interested (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wAG5ZUJ4eI)

charliepanayi
05-08-2019, 08:56 AM
I'll either be at work wearing an Ajax shirt tomorrow or not at work having drunk a whole bottle of Ajax cleaning product

Loony BoB
05-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Hoping Ajax win because they deserve to after all they've achieved so far.

Cheers for that link Dan, never watched those before, really interesting!

Bubba
05-08-2019, 10:17 AM
I think it goes without saying that I'd rather City win the league then Ajax/Spurs for the European Cup.

Speaking from a purely football perspective though, it would be a travesty if Liverpool don't win a trophy this season. They are just an absolute joy to watch. Klopp has something instilled within the whole squad which is why the loss of some big hitters made no difference whatsoever. I've always begrudgingly admitted that Liverpool have the best home support in the Premier League. Anfield was absolutely bouncing last night. They thoroughly deserved to go through.

Right, that's enough praise as I'm starting to feel sick. Let's go City/Ajax/Spurs!

Cell
05-08-2019, 06:49 PM
Funnily enough, yesterday afternoon I got recommended a video on youtube. IDK if anyone else follows this series but there's a channel that does a series with managers where they explain their tactics from famous matches they took part in. The one recommended to me was Jose discussing his game plan for Inters 3-1 smashing of Barca in the 2010 champions league. Was very cool to see how he handled Messi in that match and exploited the Barca tactics.

Anyway I sincerely hope Spurs make a comeback against Ajax, and then Liverpool destroy their souls in the final. Should be a good consolation for us winning the league again. (Plez Vinnie save us)

link if anyone is interested (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wAG5ZUJ4eI)

Though Mourinho got his tactics bang on in this game, that Inter side was still a very good team.

12 Julio Cesar
04 Zanetti
06 Lucio
13 Maicon (Chivu 74)
25 Samuel
08 Motta
10 Sneijder
19 Cambiasso
09 Eto'o yellow card
22 Milito (Balotelli 75)
27 Pandev (Stankovic 56 yellow card)

That is a quality line up, no matter how you look at it.

Bubba
05-08-2019, 10:15 PM
So we can officially say now this has been the greatest Champions League competition ever, yes?

I didn’t think it was gonna match the LIVBAR game for drama but boy did it! Absolutely gutted for Ajax. Liverpool still gonna be huge favourites in the final but if Tottenham decide to show up you never know.

Spuuky
05-08-2019, 10:54 PM
Not while Ronaldo exists I'm afraid. Neither of them will be "indisputably" the best ever while the other is around. I favour Ronaldo personally as Messi has never inspired a mediocre international team to success. Ronaldo has. Not to mention the three European cups on the trot.Well, Ronaldo is worse than Messi at football, by a fairly clear margin. His teams certainly haven't always been worse. After all, he did have the advantage of playing with the best player in the world last year, Luka Modric, as per the voting! But yes, I understand there are people who believe that the world is flat, also.

Quite a pair of games this week. I hope all the injuries are cleared up for the final, or at least as many of them as possible. Liverpool certainly deserve one of the two titles they are still in contention for, so I hope they get at least one of them. Klopp seems like the best.

Cell
05-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Two of the least likeable teams possible for the final.

I dislike Liverpool slightly less, I honestly shudder to think how much of a love in Spurs will get if they win the champions league.

Loony BoB
05-09-2019, 08:32 AM
Definitely would prefer Spurs to win, it'd be similar to (but not quite as cool as) Leicester winning the PL. Would have preferred Ajax but hey ho. Also because two teams in the final does this mean THE RISE OF THE PL BEING THE BEST LEAGUE again? I haven't checked BBC but surely these articles are inevitable.

Old Manus
05-09-2019, 09:20 AM
the champions league

The Captain
05-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Wow. What a past couple of days. Maybe the Europa league will.... nah, it won't. But how crazy could it be if we have English clubs in both European finals as both Chelsea and Arsenal are in a good position to advance too!

League strength goes in cycles but I think La Liga is beginning to hit a real down swing as Barcelona AND Madrid clearly need a refresh. Depending on what happens this summer, I think we could see English dominance for the next season or two at least. It does seem like a lot of the top tier managing talent is being drawn to The EPL. Plus, you can't discount the insane amount of money that is filling all of the coffers in the league, which allows even mid table teams to bring in upper level coaching and talent.

With all the madness already, I feel we still have one more twist to the season coming. Could it be that City drop points but then so do Liverpool? It would almost seem fitting. I still have hope as in my opinion City have looked REALLY edgy the last few weeks. They could either blow Brighton away or be fighting for that winning goal into the second half again.

Take care all.

Psychotic
05-09-2019, 10:59 PM
It's been a pretty crazy season for the Big 6, what with Man City winning the league and Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea all making European finals. Manchester United have a very nice pink kit and also a Phil Jones so that's something too.

Spuuky
05-10-2019, 10:55 PM
At least if Spurs win, it means Son gets to win.

Cell
05-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Honestly just expecting the DID YOU KNOW ANDY ROBERTSON WAS PLAYING FOR QUEEN'S PARK SEVEN YEARS AGO stuff to start up if Liverpool win the final already.

Psychotic
05-12-2019, 04:47 PM
No more excuses, no more Championship defence, no more net spend bollocks, we have to challenge. I am not sure if there is any stopping the Man City juggernaut but with the resources being invested in this, we have to be up there fighting them in May.And fight Man City in May we did, and definitely no more Championship defence.

The Captain
05-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Saw some stat that City have dropped 30 points total in the last 2 seasons. Unreal. Thought maybe some magic was in the air with that Brighton goal but City are just too expensively ruthless and in the end, if you’re just not going to drop points, you deserve the title.

On to Madrid to cap a majestic season.

Congrats City.

Take care all.

Spuuky
05-13-2019, 12:36 AM
14-0-0 in the last 14 for Manchester City, not an insubstantial run of matches.

Bubba
05-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Incredible season from City. True, they had easy draws in the cups but you can only beat the team in front of you. The league campaign was incredible and they still had to keep focus for the cup games. Let's not forget as well they were a disallowed goal away from a Champions League semi-final too. Thoroughly deserved treble!

Also, I picked the wrong night to go for a drink with my mate in town. City's parade is 6-7pm. The pub we're meeting at is right at the end of the parade route too. Think I'll message him and suggest an alternate watering hole...

Psychotic
06-01-2019, 10:20 PM
That was an awful game, possibly the worst I’ve seen us play all year.

I don’t give a fuck. I love this team, I love this manager, I love my club. :)

Spuuky
06-01-2019, 10:53 PM
The most boring final I've ever watched, but Liverpool deserve it for their body of work.

Bubba
06-02-2019, 01:20 AM
Thoroughly deserved. Could so easily have been a double with the league. Credit where credit is due.

The Captain
06-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Let's talk about six Baby.

Also, special thanks to Coutinho who by forcing his way out allowed us to buy VVD and Allison, two of the biggest reasons why Liverpool won today.

Could not be happier. I'll take victories over style any day of the week. What a way to end the season. Spurs gave it a real go in the second half, fair play to them for the bravery they showed all season long. I think Poch if he stays deserves a real influx of cash.

I actually was in Madrid at the Wanda stadium a week ago and took the tour of the grounds, so to see it going crazy with celebrations is more than a little bit surreal.

Take care all. YNWA!

Old Manus
06-03-2019, 03:51 PM
I don’t give a smurf. I love this team, I love this manager, I love my club. :)Was fully expecting that to end with I LOVE THIS GAME

Cell
06-04-2019, 07:51 AM
I thought Ross County vs Connah's Quay Nomads would be the worst final I'd see all season. I was wrong.

The Captain
06-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Am really enjoying all the love going out to Jordan Henderson. He took over what might have been the hardest job, replacing Gerrard, and slowly and methodically worked his way into becoming the beating heart of the team. Even after injuries had slowed him over the last few years, he never complained or begged off of being the leader of the team. When VVD is shouting that he'd follow his Captain anywhere, you know you've achieved true success.

As I had been saying all along with Jose and Utd, when a team doesn't have unity at the top, it's doomed. In Jurgen Klopp, Liverpool have found the closest thing to a human Kop. Long may he reign, long may he continue to be insane, goofy, joyous, drunk, laughing way too hard, screaming way too loud and making every fan who watches want to get a hug from him or have to admit that he's the most fun manager in the sport. I have friends who HATE Liverpool and even they will whisper that they wish Klopp was their manager.

What is lost in the afterglow was that Klopp once again proved himself to be such an astute tactician as much as a leader. Re-watching the final, the subtle shifts he makes throughout the game are second to none. At no point did Liverpool ever look like they didn't have a plan of action, whether it was using both Salah and Mane to break up the channels on the sides to keep the gaps closed or the constant hard yards that the midfield put in by rotating through who was at the base and who was playing up front. It's such a joy to watch when a team is well drilled, because even if the passes aren't there, the intent remains and with that, victory usually follows.

It's not usual to say but frankly Klopp is the most important person for the team's sustained success. Even if we lose top players, most likely upfront, so long as he is there, they will have a chance.

YNWA.

Take care all.

Cell
06-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Henderson's that reasonably poorly skilled (comparatively) that gives a team that clog and niggle it needs to win. He's very good at it.

Psychotic
06-05-2019, 08:26 PM
I think the outpouring of praise from managers and team mates for Henderson speaks volumes.

He's is one of the best in the world at both pressing (and knowing when to press) opposition players and positional knowledge. He always expertly covers for team mates and creates good space when his team are on the ball. They're not really heralded attributes like goals and assists so your average football fan with limited knowledge of the tactical and off-the-ball side of the game thinks he's trout.

Here's an excellent tactical analysis (http://www.zonalmarking.net/2019/04/15/liverpool-2-0-chelsea-henderson-pushes-forward-to-great-effect/) of the game v Chelsea that shows how a player like Henderson, despite getting very little acknowledgement for this victory, influences a match.

Loony BoB
07-12-2019, 12:53 PM
http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/172626-2019-20-English-Football-Season-Thread

For the new thread. Will leave this open in case someone makes one of those big posts covering what people said over the past season.

Psychotic
07-12-2019, 12:57 PM
More likely Bubba will show up in February and nonchalantly reply to this thread as if it was the new one.

Bubba
07-12-2019, 03:40 PM
I might as well just do it now and get it out of the way.

Utd to win the league.

Bubba
12-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Ok... it might actually be Liverpool’s year.

Psychotic
12-28-2019, 04:04 PM
More likely Bubba will show up in February and nonchalantly reply to this thread as if it was the new one.You're six weeks early you plum.